I have been playing around with the idea of making a Carbon fiber violin for about a year and finally felt like I had enough information to make a good first attempt at it. I have read a lot of discussions about the Louis and Clark instruments and avoided copying their work. I used a much more traditional approach to building the violin. Instead of making the whole thing carbon fiber I have used ebony,maple and spruce to make the neck, fingerboard and end blocks. I also kept the traditional violin shape. The top and the back are both graduated to improve the sound quality. The rib, top plate and bottom plate are all seperatly molded and then joined together with epoxy (Hide glue did not work).
Here is a link to some images of the violin and the process of making it:
I have had one decent player take it for a test drive and he found it easy to play.
This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.
Violinist.com is made possible by...
Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.