last rose compared with danny boy

July 10, 2009 at 05:29 PM ·

Ernst's last rose and the irish tune danny boy sound very similar to me,

I wonder which came first and or if they were created with out knowledge of the other.

Not sure why they sound similar I guess that melody analysis would say something like they have anacrusis followed by interval of a sixth up followed by scotch snap rhythm in common,

bye,

/\/\,

Replies (3)

July 10, 2009 at 05:48 PM ·

last rose came first... but ernst didn't write it... it's a popular irish tune...

danny boy is fairly recent (20th century) but it's set to the tune of londonderry air... which could possibly be from the 19th century...

so actually, londonderry air could be older than the last rose...

April 30, 2013 at 05:21 AM · according to imslp, mendelssohn's last rose op15 is (1827), ernst's is (1864) or earlier, I guess ernst heard the mendelssohn.

April 30, 2013 at 08:25 AM · The tune known by nationalists as Derry, and by loyalists as the Londonderry Air has exercised Irish musicologists for some time. It was collected in 1855, but has some untypical characteristics. It's now generally accepted that it's a somewhat garbled transcription of a much older Irish song air, Aislean an Oigfear, that would definitely pre-date the 1820s.

The song Danny Boy is by the prolific English song writer Frederic Edward Weatherly and was published in 1913.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic