Little quizz

December 15, 2008 at 10:58 PM ·

Let's see how many experts there are here:

1) first LvB v.c.recording?

2) Kreisler dedicatee of a famous v.c. he didn´t recorded. Which?

3) Famous Russian romantic composer left only one short piece for violin and orchestra.Which?

4) Probably LvB or Ferdinand David transcribed the "kreutzer" to what?

5) Famous violinist recorded two short pieces in 1899/1900. Who was he?

6) 60 variations of a popular air for solo violin or with guitar, By whom?

7) This famous violinist made a lot of arrangements, including Sarasate's Gypsy Airs with slow section on double strings.There's a recording by him., Who was?

8) A certain guy arrange 11 of Paganini's caprices for violin and piano with many alterations and modern faeatures. He was an Auer's pupil. Who?

9) There's a  violin "Concierto Español", by a spaniard violinist and composer. Who was he?

10) A french composer left a beautiful short solo violin sonata. Ferras recorded it. Who was he?

Replies (32)

December 20, 2008 at 11:08 AM ·

So, no experts. Plenty of violinists, but you know little about repertory and/or old recordings.

It's logical. You need all your time to practics, and don't have the time to listen to music.

OK, some other time.

December 20, 2008 at 06:31 PM ·

1: Wolfsthal

2: Elgar?

December 20, 2008 at 07:08 PM ·

I didn't even see this pop up until today. And I agree, the 2nd one must be the Elgar Concerto. But I wouldn't over-criticize us because your questions were a litte cryptic and maybe not the best wording.

And yes, I'd rather develop my technique and knowledge of how to play the instrument than the history of pieces that don't necessarily affect me.

December 20, 2008 at 08:17 PM ·

3. Rimsky-Korsakov - Violin Fantasy, op. 33

December 20, 2008 at 08:43 PM ·

Also didn't notice this till now. I agree with Wolfstahl and Elgar. 3) Rimsky Korsakov  Fantasy on Russian themes, probably 5) Huberman, I think 6) 60 Paganini Barucaba variations 10) Honegger.  Right now I'm stumped on the others. Spanish violinist and composer: I'm going to hazard Quiroga, with Manen as back-up.

Carlos, I'd agree that many players don't know enough about repertoire, past players, etc, but to be fair some of this is pretty obscure...For a first stage I'd be happy if the bulk of my students were aware of far more fundamental stuff! N.

December 20, 2008 at 10:09 PM ·

Ok,Ok, I know I was a little sadistic.

About LvB first recording, I thought too that it was Wolfsthal,but according with Cheniston, it was Isolde Menges, several years before. And he knows what he says. Not on CD!

The Concierto Español is from Joan Manen. There's a fine recording by Kaplan.

All the rest of your answers are right.

But there are the others...

December 21, 2008 at 08:38 AM ·

December 21, 2008 at 07:16 AM ·

Carlos, Honneger was a swiss citizen, not french. Don't you brazilians know geography??!!

December 21, 2008 at 10:24 AM ·

He was borne in France, so he was french to me. And I'm not brazilian.

December 21, 2008 at 11:51 AM ·

I know, it was a joke about geography!!

But still, Honneger was 100% swiss!!

December 23, 2008 at 01:32 PM ·

OK, let's finish this:

4) for string quintet. L'archibudelli had a recording of it.

7) Vasa Prihoda. He recorded the piece.

8) Joseph Achron. On Hanssler label there's a first recording by Ingolf Turban.

December 23, 2008 at 01:48 PM ·

10. Cesar Franck

December 23, 2008 at 09:09 PM ·

Franck is short??? 

December 23, 2008 at 10:08 PM ·

Franck is for solo violin?

December 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM ·

Franck is french??

December 23, 2008 at 11:17 PM ·

Maybe he's thinking on Eduard or Richard Franck?

December 24, 2008 at 12:43 AM ·

Or Frank Spencer?

December 24, 2008 at 01:24 AM ·

Well, yes, Franck is French, I believe. And the sonata is relatively short I suppose. Just a guess :) There is a wonderful video of Ferras performing it on youtube. 

Ah- I just noticed the "solo violin" part of that. My mistake!!

December 24, 2008 at 01:59 AM ·

He was of German and Belgian origin. Though he did live in France.

December 24, 2008 at 03:08 AM ·

and was quite tall.

December 24, 2008 at 04:45 AM ·

Fat.

December 24, 2008 at 08:54 AM ·

Never stopped playing with his organ

December 24, 2008 at 09:34 AM ·

...and he wrote piano trios plus a "grand duo for piano and violin concertante in B flat major op.14 on motives from Galistan by Delayrac", and an "Andantino Quietoso in E flat major op.6 for violin and piano", that very few know and nobody ever plays.Plus one of the better string quartets of the 19th.century.

December 24, 2008 at 11:28 AM ·

I heard his string quartet on the radio recently. Merveilleux.

December 26, 2008 at 07:15 PM ·

3. Rachmaninov, Romance. It was dedicated to Conius. Another version is Arensky, Serenade. But Arensky was not  so famous as a composer but as musicologist.

December 27, 2008 at 06:23 AM ·

Rita - Rachmaninovs Romance is op 6-1, there is a Op 6-2 as well, the Hungarian dance. And they are both for violin and piano, not orchestra. And you must not forget Arensky's violinconcerto. Not badmusic at all! And he wrote a few suites for violin and piano as well.

December 27, 2008 at 06:30 AM ·

Oh Carlos - It can't be Rimsky-korsakov. He wrote a Mazurka on polish themes for violin and orchestra too!

December 27, 2008 at 07:24 AM ·

Oh Mattias...:) I forgot about these Arensky's works... There are also four short pieces existing (like suite) which he devoted to Hrimali, and Serenade (I mentioned) is the 2nd piece in this suite. I'm getting old...:(

About Hungarian Dance... I thought that it was primary written for orchestra and later transcribed by the composer for violin... I might be completely wrong... But anyway, it is really interesting work in many aspects:)

In this case, another Russian composer's work  for violin came to my mind: Balakirev, Impromptu. 

December 27, 2008 at 09:51 AM ·

Rita - isn't that impromptu (in Emaj.) for violin and Piano? And perhaps an arrangement? ;)

December 27, 2008 at 01:31 PM ·

9- Must be Joan (original catalan) or Juan Manen's first violin concerto, long time completely forgotten, but with a recent (and IMO very good) recording by Mark Kaplan. Manen was also a good writer, his trilogy "Mis Experiencias" is a real good read and full of stories about Sarasate, Auer, Arrigo Serato, the young Kreisler and other great violinists of his time.

10- Serge Nigg's Sonata?

December 27, 2008 at 04:42 PM ·

Yes Mattias. I thought about Impromptu in E Major. It might be arrangement... not sure. Balakirev mostly wrote for piano and singers... and also few symphony works. Interesting to find it out... I played it myself. Some passages are not belong for violinists at all... haha...  But if you are able to solve fingerings, it gets easy to play:)

December 29, 2008 at 03:17 PM ·

Carlos--Can you post a list of answers now? DO you even know the answers to all these? LOL

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe