What Gift to offer to a Violin Teacher

December 14, 2008 at 07:11 PM · I am wondering what gift a violin teacher appreciates from his student. Any idea?

Replies (20)

December 14, 2008 at 07:17 PM ·

I'm sure he would love a couple new sets of strings. 

There's also a famous pencil among musicians called Magic Writers, they love them.

Im sure he would like this though.

http://www.sharmusic.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=VG1

December 14, 2008 at 07:47 PM ·

You can make one from paper or wood if you are good with tools for less expansive! But it is great! Teachers generally love candies or chocolate!  My parents are wine lovers and thus offer this to everyone but I suggest once they give chocolate and my teacher went crazy. So, when we can give chocolate, we do!  In general, violin people love animals but I don't suggest to arrive with a new pet for your teacher!

Anne-Marie

ps: avoid nail polish, nice jewelry, wonderful fluffy turtleneck sweather lol!

December 14, 2008 at 09:28 PM ·

As a violin teacher, I love all kinds of gifts!  To me, the best part of receiving a gift, is simply receiving the gift.  This tells me that my efforts towards the child are being felt, and that the child and family are thinking of me outside the lesson, and that makes me feel very special.  Some of my favorite gifts in the past include homemade christmas ornaments, cards, and home baked goods.  I also love gift certificates to bookstores and coffee shops, of course, but the best gift doesn't have to cost much at all.  Some people may disagree, but I am such a sucker for something sentimental.  I always save the cards my students give me if they include a personal note, because one of the most rewarding aspects of teaching is touching people's lives.

December 14, 2008 at 09:59 PM ·

Since Anne-Marie pointed to chocolate..........

Chocolate musical novelties:

Violins, "notes", keyboards etc.

www.chocolatevault.com/musicinstruments.htm

December 14, 2008 at 11:41 PM ·

My teacher has been very appreciative of receiving CDs previously missing from her library.  This year she's getting a boxed set of Oistrakh's complete EMI recordings, which I found on sale at Amazon several weeks ago for $20 less than I paid for my copy. 

December 14, 2008 at 11:42 PM ·

Coffee punch cards, bottle of wine, anything homemade--especially homemade cards made by the students themselves.  I don't care how old you are, I will always appreciate your homemade cards!  And snowflakes...

December 14, 2008 at 11:58 PM ·

A nice card. 

Chocolate is good.  Ghirardelli is the best, naturally...

December 15, 2008 at 01:03 AM ·

12 Billion Dollars

11 Crates of Chocolate

10 Green Musafia Enigma violin cases (only green - don't even think about another color)

9 Concerts of James Ehnes playing solo Bach

8 Trips to Europe

7 Private violin lessons with Arnold Steinhardt

6 Van Goghs (including The Potato Eaters)

5 Darnton violins

4 Tourte bows

3 Del Gesus (not picky)

2 Strads (The Auer and The Soil)

And Permanant World Peace.

December 15, 2008 at 01:05 AM ·

But a nice card is always the best.  (Insert smiley face here).

December 15, 2008 at 01:18 AM ·

Anne Horvath- As I was reading your list the song "12 Days of Christmas" was humming in my head!

Prune Butter by Simon Fischer!

December 15, 2008 at 01:25 AM ·

Greetings,

why don`t you guys just send me your presents and I`ll tell you which I liked best so next year will not be a problem.  If the earth lasts that long...

Cheers,

Buri

December 15, 2008 at 01:58 AM ·

Oh Anne,I love your list--you considered everything--great work  !

December 15, 2008 at 04:15 AM ·

Last year me and a group of my friends pitch in to buy my teacher a new set of string, Kun Bravo and a Bogaro Carbon fiber tuner. He was so happy and still has everything including the string package with our names sign on it in his case.

December 15, 2008 at 04:18 AM ·

I was very pleased when one of my students gave me an Itunes gift card.

Am I the only one who can't stand treble clef socks, keyboard ties and violin playing mice?

December 15, 2008 at 05:33 AM ·

Chrostopher,
You mean you don't love all these things here?
http://www.allmusicgifts.com/violin-gifts.htm
How about something that is an indication that you recognize there is a person behind the violin? I think the best gift could be something that relates to other non-violin pursuits or discussions; they always occur. Since my instructor drives a performance convertable, maybe a print of a classic Porsche?

December 15, 2008 at 02:10 PM ·

Violin cufflinks! Wurghhh!

December 15, 2008 at 02:11 PM ·

I would say strings are always a good idea, and if bought in the right place can be pretty affordable ;) (might check if IUStrings has what you're looking for)

Anything personally made will also be very much appreciated as well I think. could be anything from a handmade card out of pressed flowers to cookies. My mind really doesn't think far beyond strings these days though.

-Emmanuel

December 15, 2008 at 03:53 PM ·

Anne, I suggest you to go teach at Monaco or some places like this if you want these presents lol! Does Bill Gates have a son or daughter that needs a violin teacher? Then, I would recommend you!

Have a nice day!

Anne-Marie

December 21, 2008 at 05:30 PM ·

Now that violin lessons are done until January, I would like to say that of my list of 12, #11 was answered brilliantly.  I got sooooooooooo much chocolate this year!!!

Now, here is hoping that the students don't keep the violin cases closed for the next couple of weeks...

December 22, 2008 at 03:53 AM ·

For my high school orchestra teacher, we all pitched in and bought a "white" unvarnished violin.  They come with a fingerboard so we painted in school colors "Seniors '08" (we were graduating) and all signed our names in pencil.  So that the colors and pencil didnt fade), I sprayed it with a matte-clearcoat which ended up bringing out the wood's natural flame.  It turned out really beautiful.  I still saw it on display in her office.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe