Gil Shaham and Orpheus

November 19, 2008 at 05:52 PM ·

Well, I need to record Gil Shaman and Orpheus Live from Lincoln Center tomorrow night.
(8pm on channel 13 in the NYC area). We rarely watch TV anymore but this performance I'd like not to miss

We'll be in the city that evening but sadly, not up near Lincoln Center.
Maybe I should bring my violin with me incase Mssr. Shaman has need of a backup?   :)

Can't wait to hear the music!!

-Jim

Replies (33)

November 19, 2008 at 07:34 PM ·

They will be terrific.  I consider his Four Seasons with them to be the gold standard.

November 19, 2008 at 08:46 PM ·

I hate to pry but is it possible to make some copies of that recording?  Me and a couple others on v.com really can't see that concert and they want to get a recording.

November 19, 2008 at 08:54 PM ·

<i>I hate to pry but is it possible to make some copies of that recording?  Me and a couple others on v.com really can't see that concert and they want to get a recording. </i>

I'm  going to be trying my DVR for the first time tomorrow night so hopefully I'll get it all recorded properly.  (my DVD standalone recorder/burner quit so I'm blazing new trails with newer technology here.. :)

I possess large yet portable SATA drives so it's possible I can copy it down as the device seems to have firewire.

If I can copy it down from the DVR, then coping (for personal use only understand!)  it to DVD
should be pretty easy.

Stand by for results!  

November 19, 2008 at 08:57 PM ·

Hey Tom!

I kinda' like their version of Fouor Seasons as wel!!

Wonder how, if any, got tickets to this performance. Probably by invitation only as I don't recall seeing it in the Lincoln Center catalog.

-Jim

November 19, 2008 at 09:47 PM ·

November 19, 2008 at 11:30 PM ·

OMG - I  envy you soooo badly... I would give anything to watch that performance.

Hope you can record it so that you can enjoy it and perhaps share it with those of us who, for one reason on another won't be able to watch the recital.

Good luck with your new device, by the way :D

November 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM ·

Maria, I will do my VERY best!!!

-Jim (techno-phobe)

November 21, 2008 at 02:31 AM ·

I just watched it on Ch. 13 Live From Lincoln Center.  It's mostly a Pablo Sarasate concert with several well-known pieces, some with piano accompaniment, others with the Orpheus.  His favorite violinist, in his own words, is his wife ....  and they performed a double-violin performance at the end.  Overall, it's superb.

November 21, 2008 at 03:45 AM ·

Hi everyone,

I just got back from the concert. Luckily through a friend I was able to snag a seat and ended up in the 4th row in the center. Shaham was totally amazing— hopefully others will be able to burn a DVD. The finale with his wife was wonderful, and it was so nice to see their interactions. It was a treat also to see Gustavo Dudamel surprise him by presenting the Avery Fisher Prize.

November 21, 2008 at 11:50 AM ·

- I just got back from the concert. Luckily through a friend I was able to snag a seat and ended up in the 4th row in the center. -

I'm exquisitely envious that you could attend the performance last night! I truly don't recall seeing the performance listed in the calendar so the seats must have been extremely hard to get!

His favorite violinist, in his own words, is his wife ....  and they performed a double-violin performance at the end. 

Wasn't that something?!!
I truly enjoyed that part.

When my wife and I got home from New York klast night, we watched (via DVR) the performance.

A few things struck me - now please keep in mind I'm just a beginner here -
1. His bow technique is very forceful using a lot full bow length and drawn VERY quickly to my eye.

2. Did he have his bow strung quite tightly?  The distance between the hair and stick seemed a little large to me. Again, I 'm a newby to this artform so it's just an observation. 

3. He was SMILING!!
    I've noted that some, if not most soloists/performers get a very SERIOUS look about them 
   but he looked like he was truly enjoying himself.

I certainly hope I can download his performance and burn a few DVD's for those that would be interested.  If anyone has any tips about  this, please contact me otherwise, we may need to wait for Public Television to put out the DVD. :)

November 21, 2008 at 02:25 PM ·

Great concert.  The penthouse seemed to have an intimate atmosphere that you don't get in the concert hall.  I would hate to think what the tickets went for even if you could get them.

Gil would toss off a tricky Sarasate phrase and then look at the audience as smile a little as if to say -  how about that?

Nice surprise with the 2008 Avery Fisher award - well deserved.

His Strad seemed awfully shiny.  I wonder ............

November 21, 2008 at 03:01 PM ·

His Strad seemed awfully shiny.  I wonder ............

Indeed it was now that you mention it.

November 21, 2008 at 06:14 PM ·

So you also noticed his bow was so tight I thought it would snap. Wonder what that was about?

My wife and I both commented on his violin wondering what it was. it looked kind of new.

He played very well and looked like he actually enjoyed playing. Too bad more soloists don't look like they're having fun also.

November 21, 2008 at 06:25 PM ·

It's not on til 7 tomorrow night here. Can't wait to see it.

November 21, 2008 at 06:57 PM ·

His Strad seemed awfully shiny. I wonder ............ Indeed it was now that you mention it.

Just a good humored jab at "those cheap shiny Chinese violins" on another thread.

Also, kudos to the Orpheus orchestra - very nice performance.

November 21, 2008 at 08:43 PM ·

It's not on til 7 tomorrow night here. Can't wait to see it.

You'll love  it.
He just seems to be enjoying himself which in my opinion, makes the audience enjoy the evening all the more.

November 21, 2008 at 08:47 PM ·

>His favorite violinist, in his own words, is his wife ....  and they performed a double-violin performance at the end. 

This would be great fun to see. I am such a fan of his.

November 21, 2008 at 10:08 PM ·

Oh, I know! I love how he's smiling almost the whole performance on a video of the Bruch on youtube.

November 21, 2008 at 11:07 PM ·

Oh, I know! I love how he's smiling almost the whole performance on a video of the Bruch on youtube.

Isn't that great???!!
I think I've found a new musical hero here.

I think a lot of "pro's" need to put a little fun back in playing, especially before an audience.

November 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM ·

Hello!!!

I wanted to tell everybody that there are some videos in which Gil Shaham talks about Sarasate and Paganini, related to the concert.

These are the URLs to the clips:

Gil Shaham on Pablo de Sarasate

Gil Shaham on Sarasate and Paganini

Live from Lincoln Center promo

Please, please, try to burn a CD with the concert... don't make me travel from Spain to do it myself :D

Cheers!!!

November 21, 2008 at 11:34 PM ·

Thanks for the videos, Ms. Frades.  I need need need a cd!  If he plays as well as he did on that little riff from Zigeunerwaisen in the promo, then I am missing something big!

November 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM ·

Please, please, try to burn a CD with the concert... don't make me travel from Spain to do it myself :D

Keep your fingers crossed!!

November 21, 2008 at 11:40 PM ·

Keep your finger crossed

You can be sure... I will cross even my toes ;)

By the way, I have been working as a programmer too :D

for (int i=0;i>=0;i++){

this.cross(fingers);

this.cross(toes);

}

November 22, 2008 at 02:02 AM ·

What pieces did he perform? I'd imagine Ziguenerweisen will most definately be on the program... What else? I'm hoping for Caprice Basque!

November 22, 2008 at 11:55 AM ·

You can be sure... I will cross even my toes ;)

LOL!!
I need to contact my cable company today and see if there is a way to copy the recorded program to a disk for burning on my pc.

I looked all over the instruction booklet and the onscreen help  but nothing so far. They have a option to record to a VCR  so I'm hoping there's a method for copying to a stand-alone disk a well.

November 22, 2008 at 07:22 PM ·

Well, here's the poop on copying this program from my DVR to a SATA.  It can be done BUT, the file structure isn't compatible for DVD burning *YET* sez the representative.  Dang...

The young man was very kind to me and apparently cablevision has the technology in the works but for now we can't do it.  double dang.

If anyone has any tips, thoughts or ideas on this, please drop me a line.

-Jim

November 23, 2008 at 12:40 PM ·

That's such a pity...

I appreciate your effort, anyway :D

Thanks a lot.

November 23, 2008 at 07:54 PM ·

I recorded the whole show in a VCR. If anyone of you can transfer it from VCR to DVD let me know, I'd be happy to send the tape to you..

What a concert, I must say.

November 23, 2008 at 08:15 PM ·

Interesting concert... I'd like to be informed on all concerts by any violinist in the future.

I was a little surprised that his left hand pizz wasn't 'sounding' properly if you know what I mean. Like I want to say it wasn't powerful or strong enough but oh well. Good concert.

My favorite piece was Caprice Basque just because that's my favorite Sarasate piece.

November 24, 2008 at 12:39 AM ·

Some years ago I recall reading a musical criticism of a violinist's concert (I forgot who) which, in describing the violinist's choice of encores, stated: "And then there was the usual Ziguener-garbage"

Well, Ziguenerweisen may be an old warhorse, but it is hardly garbage. And the Shaham concert was indeed great. I don't have a DVD, but I saw the concert on TV. There were a couple of little inconsistencies and a few interpretive touches I'm not so sure I cared for, but on the whole it didn't matter. Shaham really "connects" with an audience - musically, technically, and personally. His comments between the pieces were utterly charming and interesting. And the Sarasate pieces are so much taken for granted today that I think we forget how well crafted and how effective and genuine they are. 

What's not to like?

Sandy

November 24, 2008 at 02:37 PM ·

What's not to like?

Exactly right..!

I certainly hope PBS comes out with a DVD of that show. I really would like to add it my my collection.

November 24, 2008 at 04:03 PM ·

I doubt if PBS will issue a DVD. I also doubt  we will ever again see a National TV Concert devoted to short violin pieces. I agree with Sander, mostly a plus, and his personality really came out in his playing and connection with the audience.

November 24, 2008 at 09:33 PM · Hiya. If anyone did manage to record onto dvd and would be willing to send a copy over to the U.K. (for an appropriate fee!)please let me know.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe