James Ehnes Homage

November 15, 2008 at 02:39 AM ·

I just finsihed watching an amazing DVD by James Ehnes called Homage. This is your chance to hear and see 12 of the worlds greatest violins and violas some which have never been recorded before.

1698 Pietro Guarneri

1709 La Pucelle Strad

1713 Baron d' Assignies Strad

1715 Marsick Strad (Jimmy's every day fiddle)

1715 Baron knoop Strad

1719 Duke of Alba Strad

1733 Sassoon Strad

1737 King Joseph Giuseppe Guarneri Del Gesu

1742 Lord Wilton Giuseppe Guarneri Del Gesu (Yehudi Menuhin)

Violas

1560 Gasparo Bertolotti (Gasparo da Salo)

1676 Count Vitale ex Lanau. Andrea Guarneri

1793 Giuseppe Guadagnini. Rolla

Not only do you get to hear James play some of the worlds finest instruments but you get to see them as well. Close up shots include scrolls, fronts, backs and revolving shots to get a good idea of arching. The photography is fine and gives a real appreciation for the original varnish and wood quality. There are bonus sections of each instrument as well, and an interview with David Fulton. In addition to the DVD you also get a CD. You can search on line and find out which pieces James plays with what instrument.

Each piece was selected to show the  instruments potential and James gives a great description of the qualities of each and small book enclosed gives a description of each instrument and some bio on the maker

Edward Laurel. Piano.

The DVD is 100+ minutes and the CD is 78 minutes.

This is well worth the money.

Rob

Replies (20)

November 15, 2008 at 03:56 AM ·

That is certainly very interesting , Rob. Worth looking into.

November 15, 2008 at 12:29 PM ·

Edward Laurel is an amazing pianist.  He used to be the appointed accompanist at school and I had the pleasure of being accompanied by him in all my juries and auditions.

November 15, 2008 at 04:27 PM ·

Thanks, Rob. I'm a huge fan of Ehnes. Your topic title mentions his home page, and yet there was no link.  I suppose I'll have to get out my Google.

November 15, 2008 at 09:11 PM ·

Big Ehnes fan here as well Scott, I usually get to see him when he comes to our festival in Parry Sound each year. He's really nice to talk to.

Just a bit extra about the DVD

This DVD, Homage of his really gives great closeup footage of him playing each instrument giving you a real feel for some technique. He talks quite a bit about each instrument and plays 2 pieces on each. I was amazed at how well he plays viola.

He also had great bows at his disposal and talks about how he matched up different bows with each violin.

I payed $24 for this DVD with the bonus CD. I think it was a steal.

November 15, 2008 at 11:01 PM ·

Rob,

Is there a website you can direct me to for the dvd? I love James Ehnes and I didn't realize he had a dvd out.

November 16, 2008 at 02:00 AM ·

I got mine from Amazon.ca. I'm sure Amazon .com would have them as well.

It really is great that David Fulton has put this together.

The release date was Nov/4th

November 17, 2008 at 08:26 PM ·

I do not have the recording yet, but I know he recorded La Ronde des Lutins and Hora Staccato among other lovely miniatures.

I heard him twice in La Ronde des lutins, live , two years ago... UNBELIEVABLE!!! As good as young Heifetz and young Menuhin.

Marc

November 19, 2008 at 07:06 AM ·

is it released in the U.S. yet?

November 19, 2008 at 08:46 AM ·

Hi Rob,

Thanks for introducing this dvd about James. There is talk about James becoming Director of Meadowmount since Ms. Galamian has past away. Should be interesting to hear what he has to say and definitely I'll watch his dvd.

Craig

November 23, 2008 at 11:45 PM ·

Hi there

Homage is available from amazon.ca (canada) or from the record label www.onyxclassics.com where you can order in various currencies and they'll deliver worldwide. The DVD is All Regions (Region 0) so will play fine everywhere. Not out in USA and other countries until January or February. The DVD gives you  the entire recital programme plus slow rotating views from every angle of all the instruments plus extensive interview footage from James and David Fulton. 

November 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM ·

Thanks Paul for the links.

Craig

December 1, 2008 at 09:36 PM ·

James recieves a 10 on 10 from Christopher Huss of ClassicsToday for his recording Homage. "...when he plays that way, James Ehnes is simply a giant! " writes the critic who is very enthousiast...

Bravo James!!!

December 1, 2008 at 11:30 PM ·

New video excerpt up on You tube from Homage- with some of the Bazzini and Falla.

Called Ehnes Homage Teaser.

December 2, 2008 at 02:49 AM ·

Un-frippin'-believeable!!!

December 5, 2008 at 03:35 PM ·

"Homage" receives a review in today's Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

seattlepi.nwsource.com/classical/390692_fulton05q.html

December 5, 2008 at 04:28 PM ·

Who is David Fulton?

January 4, 2009 at 06:30 AM ·

I just received my copy from Amazon yesterday.

Awesome.  The whole production is terrific.  The filming and recording were first-rate.  Ehnes does an outstanding job performing and making each instrument sound its best.  Not easy to do at all with a dozen instruments.   I wish there were more projects of this kind.   I fantasize about a project devoted to other del Gesu's and Strads (perhaps Chi-Mei Foundation in Taiwan would consider such a venture?)

One can tell James really understands the personalities and special characteristics of each instrument - tone, playablility, etc.  Of course he had to be diplomatic about which instrument is his favorite.  (It's hard to pick favorites from the collection when the collector (Fulton) essentially bought the Marsick Strad for him)   But I don't have to be diplomatic about it.   My favorites are the Pietro Guarneri (the only non-Strad and non-del Gesu violin!) and the King Joseph del Gesu and the Duke of Alba Strad.    The sound just pours out of these instruments and they seem like they practically play themselves.   The Baron Knoop Strad also looks fun and comfortable to play.  

Get this DVD now and play it on the best video/audio setup you can find.   Forget youtube.

January 6, 2009 at 03:09 AM ·

There is a five min preview on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXxjQZnQU0Y

Tom

January 6, 2009 at 01:53 PM ·

tom: the preview is fine, but you do not get all the beauty of sound on youtube. Having heard James several times over the past years, in recitals and with orchestra, in dry halls or in the best acoustics( Domaine Forget ), you really get the real thing: no tricks. This is the Ehnes sound ...It is fun to see the difference between the strads and the Guarneris in the suite populaire of Manuel de Falla...

In my opinion, not since a very long time have we heard a violinist playing short favorites with so much taste!!!  I have always favored musicality over  virtuosity, but James has both in the most exquisite way. The tone is never forced or overdone and the violins speak by themselves and their inherent and natural qualities are more audible....

Bravo again James!!

January 7, 2009 at 01:50 AM ·

I just purchased this over the weekend in Canada, and have been listening to it in my spare time.  What can I say - unbelievable instruments with an artist to match. Could be worded the other way too - unbelievable artist with intruments to match.

BRAVO JAMES EHNES!!!!!!!

Cheers! 

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe