Obama musical tastes

November 7, 2008 at 12:08 AM ·

Does anyone know anything about the musical tastes of President-elect Obama or his wife?  Thanks.

Replies (22)

November 7, 2008 at 12:14 AM ·

Don Ho?

November 7, 2008 at 12:31 AM ·

"Hail To The Chief"?

November 7, 2008 at 12:34 AM ·

According to his facebook page, he likes the following:

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Johann Sebastian Bach (cello suites), and The Fugees 

November 7, 2008 at 01:05 AM ·

I have no idea,but as ludicrous as it appears,

I submit "We can be Together"   1969 by Jefferson Airplane.

A  revolutionary  piece !   Just ignore some segments of the phraseology involved !

The revolution has arrived--we are together-- UP AGAINST THE WARS ! !!!!

As Obama says - "It's our time".........

November 7, 2008 at 01:16 AM ·

I wonder what he thinks of Hawaiian music. He grew up there.

Kuahiwa o haleakala hee hah

Kuahiwa nani o maui

Kuahiwa o hawaii

Kuahiwa maui no ka oe

One of the Hawaiian songs I remember from my childhood. I was told that it was about a donkey ride up a trail to the volcano Haleakala on the island of Maui. Maybe that is why they're all Dems.

November 7, 2008 at 03:22 AM ·

I read that President Obama likes Yo-Yo Ma's playing a lot :)

November 7, 2008 at 01:25 PM ·

From Ruth's post, it appears that he has eclectic but very good taste.  Anyone who likes Dylan, Davis, Coltrane and Bach is doing well from my perspective.

November 7, 2008 at 01:38 PM ·

One thing is sure, he's got to like the American nationnal anthem!  I am sure he is forced to learn the lirycs by heart and it is understandable!  Here in Canada, the general population are not able to sing the national anthem but I think it is all the contrary in the US.  Do the kids learn their patriotism at school? 

Have a good day!

November 7, 2008 at 04:55 PM ·

Yes, American kids do learn patriotism at school....for example through reciting the Pledge of Allegiance every morning before class, songs that we learn, through history, and in many other ways as well.  Some states actually require patriotism to be taught, even if students are home-schooled.  Take a look at these links:

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=DE

November 7, 2008 at 03:30 PM ·

If he likes the cello suites, we should get him a set of the Sonatas and Partitas!

November 7, 2008 at 05:06 PM ·

If he likes the Bach suites, maybe he'd like the Britten suites!

November 9, 2008 at 10:37 AM ·

With a name like O'Bama it's got to be fiddle music. Jigs, reels, hornpipes and schottisches....

November 10, 2008 at 06:20 PM ·

I saw on CNN or some other news channel (I usually watch CNN) that he had his assistant load some popular-ish music on his iPod so he "wouldn't be out of the loop."  (I'm pretty sure I got that direct quote right.)  One of the artists included was Lil Wayne.  Heh.

November 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM ·

I remember that past presidents held auditions on the White House...      But that a long time ago.

www.manfio.com

November 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM ·

Anne Marie - Not true! I can sing our beautiful anthem in both french and english - learned to do so starting in elementary school!

November 12, 2008 at 06:57 AM ·

Leaving music aside, I read yesterday that Peru has kindly offered the family a puppy to take to the White House.The breed is one that is revered by the Aztecs and is completely bald and often toothless. Very cuddly

November 12, 2008 at 07:02 AM ·

Bald and toothless. That's my kind of puppy! 

In the meantime while we await the presidential puppy, we can content ourselves viewing the 

Shiba Inu Puppy Cam

24-hour live streaming puppies. What more could we ask for?

November 22, 2008 at 04:10 PM ·

Hah his tastes don't sound too different from John McCain's.

November 24, 2008 at 12:10 PM ·

I hope he knows the violinconcerto of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, someone with the same ethnic background. African father (Sierra Leone) and white (English) mother:

Coleridge-Taylor, Samuel violinconconcerto opus 80 in G major movement 1 Allegro maestoso-Vivace-Allegro molto (till candenza)

Coleridge-Taylor, Samuel violinconconcerto in G major opus 80 movement 1 (end)Allegro maestoso-Vivace-Allegro molto movement 2 Andante semplice-Andantino

Coleridge-Taylor, Samuel violinconconcerto in G minor opus 80 movement 3 Allegro molto -Moderato

November 24, 2008 at 04:03 PM ·

Ruth's post about Obama's facebook page mentioning the Bach cello suites reminds me of the following.  A couple years back at the Casals museum in San Juan, Puerto Rico they had an exhibit of photographs and documents from Casals' appearance at the White House at the invitation of President and Mrs. Kennedy.   I don't know but I'd assume that he performed at least some music from the Bach cello suites during that recital.  (Parenthetically I'd note that Casals had a lot of qualms about appearing at the White House lest it be construed as an endorsement of U.S. foreign policy, with which he had major disagreements).

It would be great if the Obamas brought back some of that Kennedy-esque appreciation of great art and artists who are towering moral as well as musical figures. 

Casals is long gone and with the passing of Rostropovich there may no longer be a cellist of great international musical as well as political and moral stature.   (If I'm missing someone I'll gladly stand corrected).   But looking at other classical artists, Barenboim comes to mind as a great artist who also has dedicated a lot of time and effort to pursuing world peace. 

November 24, 2008 at 08:47 PM ·

Yo-Yo Ma to the White House!

November 25, 2008 at 10:25 PM ·

Yo-Yo Ma played at the White House in one episode of The West Wing - Does that count?

There's a link to the episode on Youtube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DUR4Ttt_PQg

Also, a link to a very funny puppet version

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UilOSPu7jHU

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe