Warchal's Brilliant Vintage strings reviewed

November 3, 2008 at 07:51 PM ·

I'm in love with Warchal Brilliant Vintage strings.  Please, everyone, use the ad above and get your free trial set.  Mr. Warchal has been nothing but wonderful.  His new strings are incredible:

1.  Tension like Dominants, if not slightly lower

2.  Projection nearing Pirazzis

3.  Richness/Darkness better than Obligatos

4.  Sweetness better than Gold Label E

I've had them on for weeks.  I'm hooked.  I can't wait for them to be in stock again, here in the US from www.ottomusica.com  I'm having all my students get them, too.  Full price is ONLY $39.95!!!

Replies (65)

November 3, 2008 at 09:48 PM ·

Where might this ad be for a set of free strings?

November 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM ·

Earlier in the day it was below the Violinist.com logo in the "sponsored by" advertisement slot...

November 4, 2008 at 03:01 PM ·

Keep "refreshing" the this web page until you see an ad that says "You have a freind on stage."

This link might work also:

http://warchal.com/giveaway/

November 4, 2008 at 03:58 PM ·

I am trying a set of these strings on my 1840 Mittenwalder

They take quite a while to settle in. Indeed, I am not sure they have yet, after a month on the violin (but not much playing: This past month, I have been using a different fiddle consistently for the first time in 25 years). The fundamental took a long time to develop, and I still feel it isn't as strong as it could or should be on this violin.

BUT, they are wonderfully bright, responsive, powerful  and clear, even right up the g-string. Just not so much of a bottom end. The core seems out of balance. Could be the setup, I suppose.

I had Passiones on just before, super, super strings, and they were still acceptable after six months, great rich deep and bright sound. Dominants last me around three months, well-balanced strings. Alliances just six weeks or so, but I don't like them anyway. Evah Pirazzi's longer than dominants, and similar, but maybe brighter.

It's all so personal. One really has to try for oneself:

gc

November 4, 2008 at 06:21 PM ·

On many violins the Warshal strings are wonderful. My 1909 Vidoudez didn't like them. However, Mr. warshal, in our email conversations about the strings, was as nice as could be.

Each violin prefers some strings over others. Mine absolutely loves the Passiones.

November 11, 2008 at 07:46 PM ·

I received my set of Warchal strings yesterday just in perfect time to replace my 4 months old set of wondertones.
Now, first a big thank you to the Warchal company for the fine gift!

First impression: Less tension than the wondertones, but not for the E-string. That one seems not only to have more tension, but also to be a bit louder than the other three strings. But it sings wonderful, and this is the same with the whole set. The Warchals produce some fine silky overtones and are a little bit easier to play than the wondertones. They also seem to be a little bit less loud.
Now the Warchals are „created for antique violins“, and I‘m not quite sure if my 1978-made violin really qualifies as such. I couldn‘t find out what the difference between the normal Warchal brilliants and the new „vintage“ could be, but I would really like to know! Either way, my violin seems to like them, and I guess I will give them another try when the next set of strings is due.

November 11, 2008 at 09:32 PM ·

I put the vintage brilliant set in my 6 months old modern instrument and it sounds wonderful,(sounds vintage!)   I especially   think the G and E strings are great.

November 12, 2008 at 09:18 AM ·

Tobias Seyb wrote: "Now the Warchals are „created for antique violins“, and I‘m not quite sure if my 1978-made violin really qualifies as such. I couldn‘t find out what the difference between the normal Warchal brilliants and the new „vintage“ could be, but I would really like to know!"

I am also not sure whether Brilliant Vintage is ideal choice for instrument. The strings were developed especially for 80 years and older instruments. Such violins usuallly "don,t need to be forced to play". We made tests with contemporary instruments too. We achieved very good results with many of them, especially high quality ones. (High quality new instrument is equal or very similar to the good old ones in terms of sound). Anyway we suggest to use Brilliant,s (not Vintage) for most conteporary violin to achieve best projection.

As for the difference between Vintage and "normal" Brilliants - you are right, there is a bit lower tension. The torsion stability is improooved and there are another changes in formula and construction too, but we don,t publish all details I am sorry.

November 12, 2008 at 11:09 AM ·

I've found these strings to be warmand subtle, with a great deal of flexibility in terms of power. I've tried them on a violin which I've just finished- I can't really see any need to try anything different. Nice work and many thanks for the sample.

November 12, 2008 at 03:00 PM ·

Hi,Tasha, et al, I would really like to try these on my old English violin. Can anyone direct me to the address to request the sample set? Sue

November 12, 2008 at 05:56 PM ·

Sorry Sue.  It looks like the promotion ended.

http://warchal.com/giveaway/

November 12, 2008 at 06:18 PM ·

Dang, it looks like it is over..... I just recently switched from Dominants to Passiones and boy howdy, talk about bright and projecting! Hurts my ears at times, very complex too! Not as forgiving as the Dominants. I was hoping for darker warmer, never-the-less I also which I got after switching to cello rosin.

I'll give these new ones a try next string change. $40.00, be nice if they work out!

November 12, 2008 at 09:34 PM ·

:( I requested a set on the first day of the ad and they never sent any...

November 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM ·

Mine just arrived yesterday.  My husband was surprised, "why did you get a package from Slovakia??"   I'm excited to read the good reviews! 

November 14, 2008 at 10:18 PM ·

I received my set yesterday and want to thank Mr. Warchal. It was fun finding the little package from Slovakia in my mail box.

Paul G, I think the fact that you haven't received yours does not necessarily indicate that they didn't send them. I have occasionally had Air Mail packages that I've sent to overseas addresses from the US take months to arrive, so I'd give it some time, then send Warchal a note if the strings still haven't arrived.

I'm anxious to try the strings, but am still deciding which of my violins will be most suitable.

November 14, 2008 at 10:48 PM ·

I just ordered a set also.  I'm looking forward to trying them. 

November 15, 2008 at 04:02 AM ·

Mine were delivered today.  I think I may wait until after the holidays before putting them on since the ones on there now (Obligatos) are relatively new and I don't relish the thought of having to wait any length of time for them to settle in.  (Lots of music-making coming up in this season. ) I am, however, really looking forward to trying them on my 1781 Meisel violin.

November 15, 2008 at 09:39 PM ·

nice rich sould and good projection.  I don't how much I am going to like them over my Vision soloist's  Time will tell.

November 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM ·

Nevermind! They finally came today... I'm not going to put them on yet because I just switched out my set of Oliv's two weeks ago.

But I do have high hopes for them and I think just the packaging shows how much quality they put into things. A neat little box that they came in!  With all the labels and postal stamps etc haha the simple things...

November 18, 2008 at 12:15 AM ·

When I got home from school I check the mail box and I could have sworn it looks like a box with xmas wrappings. I'm glad they came and will put them on after my chamber concert. Neatly package, look very professional compare to Pirastro package.

November 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM ·

Greetings,

sorry its off the topic of Warchal but Royce wrote:

>I just recently switched from Dominants to Passiones and boy howdy, talk about bright and projecting! Hurts my ears at times, very complex too! Not as forgiving as the Dominants.

You are right. Any gut string is not as forgiving as Dominant.  When playing on gut there is a much smaller margin for error cocnerning the relationship between Sound Point,  Bow Speed and weight.  One is,  in my opinion,  forced to take more care with bowing.  The left hand too will be punished if one fails to depress the string adequately,  especially the fourth finger.  Be prepared to rethink aspects of your technique if you are changing from synthetic to gut .

As you say,  Passione have a very cmplex sound which I fidn extraordinarily beautiful. There are,  in my opinion,  certian types of sound which cannot be reproduced on synthetic strings. 

Cheers,

Buri

November 18, 2008 at 02:56 AM ·

I currently have passiones on and they are the best strings I have so far overall. Excellent strings on my violin. I still sometimes use Oliv G, Passione D,A and Oliv E. For me nothing beat an Oliv E so I use it with everything so far.

Hope Warchal's Brilliant Vintage will change my mind and be the set that replaces my favorite synthetic. [ Pirastro Evah Pirazzi with Oliv E]

November 18, 2008 at 03:11 AM ·

Thanks Buri-

With a little more focussed attention, taking things a little slower than the previous norm and building up to speed, I LOVE the Passiones!!!!!!!

It does take a little rethinking! It's fun! A new adventure, to say the least, I love the way I sound! I don't think that I've ever sounded this good! So much freedom, more than I ever knew. I now can play ppp -mp-mf-fff and there is a significant difference! I can use very shallow to very nervous vibrato, etc., etc. I mean the music is so rich now!  "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Playing". ;^)

I am having the time of my life with these strings! Each day either they or I sound better and better. If the Warchol's can do all this for 1/2 the price Far Out!

We Shall See next string change.

November 18, 2008 at 11:02 PM ·

I received mine today, I will try to put them on my old guy here, this is very exciting! Thank's Warchal!

November 19, 2008 at 04:17 PM ·

I received my set yesterday... thank you so much, Mr. Warchal! Can't wait to try them.

November 19, 2008 at 09:07 PM ·

I'd like to try them and I don't mind paying the "regular" price.  Does anyone (dealer) have them in the US yet?

November 19, 2008 at 11:39 PM ·

its ottomusica.com as Tasha mentioned.

November 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM ·

love it and thank you mr warchal for sharing a great product  and establishing good will in such an understated yet  elegant fashion. 

November 21, 2008 at 01:17 AM ·

Warchal is very kind to provide free string  (THANK YOU!) I followed the lead here, requested a set a few weeks ago and they arrived this week.  I put them on yesterday and now that they seem to be nearly "stable," I find them to be very responsiive and very sweet sounding. They are not as powerful under the ear as the Evah Pirazzi starks I had on this fiddle before, but they are certainly very soft under the fingers. Soft enough that a player with some arthritis troubles will gain a great deep of freedom playing with these strings. I've already ordered 2 more "backup" sets from Otto.

I plan soon to record the sound of this violin with the Warchals and two others on which I installed Vision Solos about a week ago (those are good strings too, but a lot more expensive).

Andy

November 21, 2008 at 06:08 PM ·

SO --- this morning I moved the Warchal and Vision Solo strings around between violins some more and I thinkk I've found the "perfect" usage among three of my violins. The Warchals now have more power on the second violin I've tried them on and are not so "sweet" - although they sound great. The violin that was "sweet" with the Warchals has as much power with the Vision Solos as it had with the Pirazzi Starks, but is easier to finger.

Also, spiccatos are cleaner on all the violins than they were with heavier gauge strings, which is important with an Eroica Symphony performance coming up in a few weeks.

Andy

November 23, 2008 at 02:19 AM ·

Right,  I had previously  gone to ottomusica.com  and the message was posted:  "limited edition, out of stock."

And now it posts the same message.

Is there anyone in the US who actually has the strings for sale at this time?

thanks,

Mike

November 23, 2008 at 03:06 AM ·

Though I certainly appreciate the free set of Warchal strings, after a few days I just had to go back to Evah Pirazzis .  My French violin (about 110 yrs old) just did not like them. The Warchal strings have moved over to my backup instrument where they will still be put to good use. 

November 23, 2008 at 04:08 AM ·

Mike,

To the best of my knowledge, ottomusica is the only provider in the US.

November 23, 2008 at 04:15 AM ·

I decided to put on the strings earlier. I had them stretch and ready last night. Today I played practiced as usually and notice alot of things compared to Passiones and Oliv E.

1. Really easy on the fingers. Not like Evah's.

2. Nice and brilliant.

3. Good volume but not as much as passiones.

4. Quick response with little effort.

5. E string is really nice and matches the set really well.

Even tho my violin is only about 2 years old I prefer a lower tension string that offers the same qualities as the regular brilliants. This will now be my favorite synthetic string that replaces Evah's.

November 23, 2008 at 03:13 PM ·

My old violin loved Evahs, my current one hates them.  I currently use Infeld Reds.  Do you suppose I might like these?

November 23, 2008 at 03:32 PM ·

Mike--the freebies are still on going, like right now when I am browsing and its like 10:30 am here in the east coast. Try it!

November 24, 2008 at 01:29 AM ·

Thanks, Elinor, I tried this morning and tonight, no luck--I can't get the "giveaway" button to respond, and under "product" or "estore" I get the "out of stock" message.

Just my luck!

November 24, 2008 at 04:30 AM ·

try to google  Warchal String first and you will find  a  link of somone from Ebay who's selling it. I saw one for $ 19.99 as a starting bid and will end in 6 days. I think the name of the seller is wrogersweb or something..

Goodluck!

November 26, 2008 at 04:00 PM ·

Elinor,

many thanks!

and happy thanksgiving to everyone at violinist.com.

January 3, 2009 at 08:12 PM ·

First, thanks so much for the set, Mr. Warchal.

I've had them for about a month.   They work very very well for one of my brighter violins -  a 1929 James Carlisle.  These strings have added depth and resonance to the sound across all registers.   My sense is that these strings would work well to take the edge off of certain bright instruments.   i'm going to keep using these strings. 

January 12, 2009 at 06:12 PM ·

I also need to post a thanks to Mr. Warchal for the free set.

I waited till after the holidays to put them on my (18th cent Italian) instrument. I had been using Visions on the lower three and Wondertone Stark on the E. My initial reaction was "Wow!" although they seem to have changed a bit since I put them on. I think the Vintage bottom three have more complexity than the Visions with no loss of volume. The E is actually fairly similar to the Wondertone Stark on my instrument. I've only had them on about a week - at the moment I'm still finding them a bit difficult to play - the beginnings of notes seem to require a different touch with the bow, and occasionally double stops on the E and A seem to produce strange sounds - as if the tone production is so different on the two strings that the bow doesn't know which to go with.

But all of that may be just me, and I like the afore-mentioned complexity - they have the good qualities of Olives without the problems. I'm certainly keeping them on for a while.

January 13, 2009 at 01:31 AM ·

I like the Brilliants more than the Vintage. I think my violin just needs the higher tension.

Last 2 sets of brilliants I got the G string went flat under bow pressure after a few weeks.

January 26, 2009 at 09:26 PM ·

I got my free set in November, but just put them on last Friday. My first response was, "WOW!". My violin really likes these strings!

My violin is only 4 years old. I'd been having slow response and a wolf tone on my "A", and had tried several different brands of strings. The problem was exacerbated by gut core. With Dominants, the problem was less apparent, but still there.

But when I put on the Warchals, I couldn't believe how full, powerful and sweet my tone had become. The A string problems went away. I do hope the magic lasts.

April 4, 2009 at 04:55 PM ·

Belated thanks to Mr Warchal for the strings received in November. I've had them on my very new instrument for 4 months and have enjoyed the warm, rich tones they produce. I've only been playing about 2 years and have had to work hard on my bowing technique to get the best tones since these strings are less forgiving than the other sets I've tried, but the rewards are very evident.

Timbre and volume are very consistent across the G, D and A on my fiddle and the E is relatively brighter and louder. I will probably look for a different E if I put on another set.

The strings settled in within several hours of playing and have remained very stable through a cold Canadian winter (I keep the instrument in its case with a humidifier which helps I'm sure). I play about an hour a day and after 4 months I'm just starting to notice some consistent off tones. So the 120 hour rule of thumb seems to apply to these. All in all, I am very pleased with the experience.

BTW. I swapped the Visions that came with my new fiddle onto my old El Cheapo. The Visions were very sweet but uninteresting sounding on the new instrument. However, they're much better at mellowing out the harsh tones on El Cheapo than any of the other strings I tried (Dominants, Tonicas and Pro Arte).

April 4, 2009 at 05:24 PM ·

Warchals have nice threading on them. My friend uses them. Try these strings:

cgi.ebay.com/Dominant-Violin-Strings-TRY-OPERA-STRINGS-4-4-SET-16_W0QQitemZ110370225622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZString_Instrument_Parts_Accessories

I know a lot of violinists are searching for good low cost strings. I want to see what other violinists think of these strings. If no one likes, them, then heck, I'll go back to practicing for my senior recital. These are only $16 for a set. I use them and I like them. :)

April 5, 2009 at 01:01 AM ·

I have tried the complete product line, for my contemporary violin. The build quality is very high: windings, silver, etc. For the few days: all the Warchal strings have a lovely "ringing" quality to them, when bowed; and long sustain, when plucked. The Amethyst came closest to Dominants, but with less power and projection. The Karneol had the most "ring" quality. The Brilliant were simply too brilliant in sound, but with much power. But the G string had a "rattle" sound to it; G D A all seemed to choke when played with bow pressure; and the E had dead spots in the upper positions. The tonal balance for all strings is quite good. All strings seem to have a very short life span: Karneol were dead after 1 week; Amthyst were dead after 3 weeks; Brilliant broke after 3 weeks.

For product, I think Warchal is going through a teething stage. The product line definitely is intriguing and holds much promise. I look forward to the "next generation".

My sincere thanks to the Warchal company for allowing me to sample their product.  

April 6, 2009 at 03:19 PM ·

I tried my free set of Warchal Brilliant Vintage and LOVED the sound. But they went bad suddenly after only 3 weeks. I decided to try the regular Warchal Brilliants and again, the sound was amazingly beautiful. But the same thing, the strings went bad after only 3 weeks. So disappointing.

Hey, "Opera Strings"... didn't you think we would notice that you were "reviewing" the same strings under the identity of Thomas Ludwig earlier? It's not nice to pretend to be a user when in fact you are selling these strings. And it's deceptive to create multiple new identities.

April 6, 2009 at 06:55 PM ·

I've been using the Vintage Brilliants strings for four months, no problems except I feel my pinky has had to work harder on these strings than on Dominants.

I've never seen a string on any instrument that didn't seem to lose some life after a few weeks.  Do you guys mean that you're experiencing false intonation after 3 weeks or simply that the strings gave back less than when they were new?

April 6, 2009 at 07:11 PM ·

On my violin, the Warchal strings didn't just lose a little of the fresh sound after 3 weeks... they suddenly sounded extremely bad. The response got really slow - as in, a horrible strangled sound came out for over a second before the tone caught up and sounded "normal". But then it couldn't hold on to the "normal" sound and the tone kept fluctuating wildly. This had never happened with any other string I've ever tried. Dominant strings by comparison will last for at least 4 months before they go false (in a much more gradual and much less dramatic fashion).

I was pretty disappointed that the Warchal strings died such early, violent deaths, because the sound they made in the first 3 weeks was quite beautiful. If I could afford to change strings every 3 weeks I would definitely keep buying the Warchal Brilliants, but I really need them to last longer than that. :(

August 31, 2009 at 03:57 AM ·

A note to echo Glenda above. For the time the Warchals live, the sound is actually lovely, especially the ringing quality of the Karneol. The Brilliant on my violin were simply too brilliant! But the very short lifespan (1-3 wk in my case) means these strings get expensive to use.

BUT, I wanted to give these a good trial. One time is not fair. I managed to trade for a slightly used set of Brilliant from a fellow student, and mixed/matched with what I have left over from my own set.

I put them on my daughter's 3/4 Chinese violin, prior for which we used Prirastro and Thomastik. Brilliants created a change in sound, volume, and projection that is truly remarkable. They brought this violin to life. The G has life it had not before, and all strings give a very harmonious blend. The E broke in a week, but the others are going strong for about 3 months now. (replaced the E with a Dom E, and the match is good).

Also, the Brilliants feel softer under the finger than any other synthetic we have tried, which is simply great for small, delicate fingers.

So, we will be buying these again, if and when I ever see them again here.

My thanks again to Warchol for the trial set.

June 17, 2011 at 01:23 PM ·

I bought these strings to try on my 1907 K.Reindahl.  When I install new strings, I wanted to make  an instant, direct comparison to the previous set, so I stretched them out and broke them in on a different instrument- my campfire fiddle.  So first, I put The Warchal Brilliant Vinage on my campfire fiddle- a "copie du Stradiuarius" made in France, of unknown age.  (French factory)  The crazy thing, was that I was immediately impressed.  I do believe these strings have turned my campfire fiddle into a respectable violin!  I've had used (not new) Dominant, Obligato & Evah strings on this fiddle,  but the Vintage Brilliant brings out an extra depth of tone and resonance I had not experienced with this fiddle. I knew the fiddle had great resonance for such a cheap instrument ("easy to play in tune" was how a friend described it) but I didn't realize it could sound this good!  WONDERFUL!   

When I transfered the strings to my 1907 Reindahl, I was again impressed.  The  Vision Titanium Solos had punch, but I really don't like the high tension feel under my fingers.  The Warchal Brilliant Vintage brought more depth of tone and resonance to this instrument as well. The G string worried me at first- it seemed to crack under pressure,  reminded me of Passiones, but I don't notice that anymore.  The Brilliant Vintage might require a wee bit more finesse than the high tension strings, but not nearly as much finesse as I had to use with the Passiones. I don't have to struggle with the WB Vintage strings like I had to struggle with the Passiones.  I also like how they feel under my fingers.  

So now I've got to order another set- one for the camfire fiddle and one for the 1907.  :-)  

I found mine at Audubon Strings.

Your milage may vary, but these strings should definitely be on your "must try" list.

June 17, 2011 at 03:07 PM ·

I had a trial set of Warchal Brilliants that I finally put on this April.

First off, the playability of these strings was excellent on my violin.  I found the strings very responsive.  The strings played easily with little bow noise.

I liked the sound of the strings.  It was powerful for sure.  I would characterize the sound as being very open, maybe slightly bright but in a good way.

My only criticism is that I found the e string slightly whistly - not uncontrollably but more prone to whistling than the previous e string..  In all fairness, the e string is an excellent match tonally for the other strings,

Overall, I would recommend trying these strings for sure.  If they are a good match for your instrument, I think that they can help with passage work because of the playability. 

June 17, 2011 at 09:44 PM ·

I use Vision solos on my 1696 G.B. Rogeri, but definitely will try these Warchals now I have to change them. Will let you know how they compare.

Regards

June 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM ·

Do only old violins that can sing, moan and weep ?  I am 67, an adult learner. Last year,  I bought a Spanish Valencia V400, size 4/4. It is only 3 months ago that I decided to  learn playing.  By trying to tune, I broke the G String.  I replaced the G and D by the D'Addario strings. The E and A strings sound good but not good enough.  What strings do you, Guys recommend so that my new  Valencia  violin could sing, moan and weep ?  Or is it only the old violins can do that ? Thank you and  Cheers.

June 18, 2011 at 02:58 PM ·

Judex, you need to be patient. You could pick up a Stadiuarius and it would still sound like wet cardboard if you played it. It isn't the instrument, it is the driver, and it takes a lot longer than 3 months to get there:-)  Se the other thread you joined recently about strings and set-up, started by Joe Lail. Yes, your fiddle should be properly set up. No, you are not going to sound like Heifetz just yet.

June 18, 2011 at 06:41 PM ·

Thank you, Bill.

I will work hard to be good enough.  I am without a Teacher, and trying to help myself by surfing the net.  I have the introductory DVD of Mrs Seidel (Academy of Music).  I need buy more DVDs.

Enjoy a blessed Sunday and have a very good week ahead.

June 19, 2011 at 01:47 PM ·

although my experience with strings is very limited (used dominants, and infeld red ) my experience with the warchal brilliants was also really good, these strings are strong,  loud and clear. basically they project well and help to add strength where the violin is weakest..., on the G and D string for me.  i also like the cheaper and quieter but nice warchal karneols which are more ear-friendly (at a very close distance); these latter have a peculair feel though...the surface of the strings also feels silky so the karneol's are also fingetip-friendly...but also means the grip is slightly less abrasive. depends on what you like.

and the price is nice!

June 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM ·

July 11, 2011 at 06:04 PM ·

These are terrific strings for my instrument. I have an 1846 American violin made by John Pfaff which has a slightly long string length. At the urging of Albert Yen, I switched my strings over to Warchals and they completely transformed my instrument! I had never been able to get any life out of my e-string on this instrument before changing to the Warchal Brilliant Vintage.

July 13, 2011 at 02:05 AM ·

I'm also happy with my Warchals, and plan to stay with them.  I've had Eudoxas, Evahs, Dominants, and Vision Titanium solos.  They are all different.  (Didn't like the dominants on my fiddle.)

The Warchals are the equal of any.  I really liked the Titanium Solos, but the Warchals actually sound more well-rounded on my instrument.  Can't beat the price!

July 13, 2011 at 02:09 AM ·

John,

Have you found that the quality deteriorates? Some posters have said that the tone suffered after 3 weeks. It has me a little worried.

Terry

July 13, 2011 at 10:42 PM ·

Mine took about 3 weeks to settle in.  No degradation since then -- about 3 month ago.  Longer than that, it's too soon to tell.

July 14, 2011 at 01:46 PM ·

Thanks John for the reassuring feedback. I'll report back what I find in 3 weeks or so.

August 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM · Resurrecting an old thread and post....

We bought an antique Italian violin, from the Antoniazzi school, for my daughter. I put a new set of Brilliants on it. For this violin, the Brilliants give an excellent balanced sound, projection, and playability. Brighter than Doms, but not too bright. But I noticed a certain metallic overtone to the sound for all strings. I tried other E's, but no improvement for the metallic edge.

The solution came when we used the new Warchal Amber E. This is a revolutionary string. Immediately, the usual harshness we had for all metal E strings vanished. The Amber E gives sweetness and depth like no other E we tried, without noticeable loss of projection. And, the Amber E got rid of the metallic overtones for the other strings. The other strings also became sweeter, with more depth.

The Brilliants with Amber E are great!

August 24, 2013 at 05:59 PM · I am currently using BV's on my 200(?)year old Saxon fiddle. Very nice strings - thinner than my previous strings, reflecting their lower tension I suppose. The e-string has got to be the best I've ever used - sweet sounding and easy to play, just like the rest of the set.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe