The Next Classical Music Star

October 17, 2008 at 06:15 PM · Has anyone seen the series "The Next Classical Music Star" on the Ovation channel? It's a reality show about kids aged 12-19 who go through rigorous training to become a star.

Replies (27)

October 17, 2008 at 06:26 PM · Yes, it's a really good show so far!

I wish Ovation TV had the presence of mind, however, to give everybody a spoiler heads-up that if we happen to go to the BBC Tv website that we'd see the winner of the competition--It kind of took the suspense out of it for me! :)

Maybe they figured either we'd know by now already since the show was on 2 years ago in the UK, or that Ovation's viewers don't own computers or something.

I really like the projects they had to do, like improvising their own theme songs, or scoring the short films they were given.

I think they're all really good, but I disagree with letting go of Jeanine Thorpe and Ben MacDougall (the flautist) so early in the competition. I don't think that what either of them did or didn't do enough of would have rendered a goodbye vote from me. They were both very engaging in their performances.

October 17, 2008 at 07:36 PM · Is this show still running? What days? (I have direct tv)... I've never heard of this show but would like to watch it.

October 19, 2008 at 06:09 AM · I hope it gets juicy.

nothing it is better than reality TV gone ugly...

especially when the person you love to hate plays dvorak... amazing.

I hope it does get goooooood, though!

OH, the SABOTAGE!!!!

can't wait.

October 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM · NO way! After watching Project Runway, I jokingly told my daughter a couple weeks ago that what I would like to see is a reality show that features classical musicians. She proceeded to tell me that a) no one would watch a show like this and then b) listed all the reasons why it couldn't work. Who knew it was already happening??:)

October 19, 2008 at 02:30 PM · Dottie,

If it was happening and you didn't know about it, your daughter probably proved her point that it won't go far.

October 19, 2008 at 02:38 PM · I tried to google this show, but it seems to be in England (?) So I guess it's not available to folks without cable tv.

October 20, 2008 at 01:21 AM · I like the Ovation channel a lot but they run a lot of old programs. I've seen the masterclasses with Maxim Vengerov a million times and the Midori&Friends documentary too - and since I work for them it seems so outdated now.

October 20, 2008 at 02:20 AM · Ovation TV on DirectTV channel 274.

October 20, 2008 at 02:40 AM · What day does this show air? (direct tv)

October 20, 2008 at 09:45 PM · It's on tonight at 6:00 p.m. MST. And after the 2 episodes, Hilary Hahn: A portrait is on.

October 21, 2008 at 02:45 AM · Have a look at Giora Schmidt. He is being lauded as Itzak Perlman protoge, by the media and Mr. Perlman himself.

October 21, 2008 at 03:08 AM · I think he's a bit too old for that TV show.

October 21, 2008 at 03:13 AM · Wow, that was an odd finale...

I don't know who I would have picked. The pianist was ok on her concerto, very good on her encore. The guitarist was amazing in his concerto, but dissapointing in his encore. The bassoonist was good in both.

October 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM · e smith, too bad we don't have a show here yet in the usa because there is a great candidate, someone you probably know too well:). i think she truly has star quality, at the right age, with very impressive and stylish playing,,,the whole package (i know of some teens who can probably play faster:) but look and feel miserable on stage). audience will find her irresistable on a larger stage. btw, we watch her youtube clips very often...they are gems.

the only thing that may hold her back is if you did not let her to have that super duper jumping stick.

October 21, 2008 at 12:52 PM · Actually, we did get a "professional pogo stick" a few weeks later, although not the $300 7-foot dangermachine from Australia. :)

October 21, 2008 at 12:54 PM · get the real thing for the real thing.

October 21, 2008 at 01:24 PM · I think the guitarist is the one I liked the most. He will have a very successful career in front of him, as well as the bassoon player.

October 21, 2008 at 03:22 PM · I agree. But which one won the competition? I fell asleep and didn't see the end. I thought the bassoon player was the best and an excellent musician.

October 21, 2008 at 05:05 PM · Should I say??

October 21, 2008 at 06:44 PM · In the USA, the closest thing I could find was on 'America's Got Talent';

check out this 'Nuttin But Stringz excerpt:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/35031/americas-got-talent-nuttin-but-stringz-91708

A bit of Rock violin?

October 21, 2008 at 07:10 PM · ....whisper it in my ear

October 21, 2008 at 07:13 PM · Ok Tess, here's the website where the winner is featured. But don't open the link if you don't want to know!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/classicalstar/series1/

October 21, 2008 at 11:01 PM · Sophie Cashell--My God, I just didn't see that coming! :)

What's funny is I got the Gramophone Magazine 2008 Awards edition this past week because I had to see what the spread looked like for Hilary Hahn's Artist of the Year honors, and oddly enough there was the print ad for Sophie's new album, again, before they even showed the CS finale in the US. Good thing I saw the spoiler online first.

Actually, I'd say she was the better of the 2 pianists at least, so the audience of voters picked the right one, but again, I think they all have potential to be stars on an international stage.

I'd give my absolute honorable mention award to Karen the bassoonist because not only does she sound awesome, but she looks like the Dizzy Gillespie of classical when her cheeks expand! :)

I'm glad somebody mentioned Nuttin' But Stringz--I wanted them to win on America's Got Talent. I certainly hope they keep going. They were exciting to watch.

October 22, 2008 at 01:35 AM · I honestly believe that the Tchaikovsky International Competition should be a venue for the next Classical Music Star.

That's because it will always name the top 3 pianists, violinists, cellists, and singers both male and female. Additionally, they also award prizes for those not in the top 3.

October 22, 2008 at 02:46 AM · No bassoonists at the Tchaikovsky, though!

October 22, 2008 at 04:04 AM · I am so disappointed. Karen Geoghegan is the better musician of the three finalists. Alas, life is not fair.

Edit: Karen did get a recording contract after the show. Her cd is available at Amazon.com

October 22, 2008 at 03:28 PM · I just ordered MY copy!

Sophie's CD, unfortunately, is only available as an expensive import. I'll wait till it gets a proper US release.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe