Professional Support of Violinist.com

October 16, 2008 at 07:16 PM · This is one of the best dedicated formats available to amateur and professional violin enthusiasts, and makers. I would like to see it endure, and continue to have a positive impact on anyone that takes the time to contribute. I think everyone will agree that Laurie has done a fine job of managing the site, and I would like to see it endure. One way to ensure it's longevity is encourage the professionals here to become sponsors, or buy some advertising space. I know Laurie would never post a message such as this on her own, that is why I am doing it. Anyone who makes money directly, or indirectly from participation in the site should do a little more than those who don't. I think it is only fair. It takes a lot of work to maintain a site this comprehensive. Any additional thoughts?

Replies (30)

October 16, 2008 at 07:17 PM · Okay, I'm blushing. Thanks for your sponsorship, Giovanni (Giovanni Gammuto Violins), we do appreciate it, as well as the sponsorships we have received from:

The Juilliard School

Clayton Haslop's Violin Mastery

Marquis Violins

PianoAccompaniments.com

Cupertino Strings

Snow Violins

Universal Music

Warchal Strings

Jane & Street Publishers

In November we are re-designing the site in order to support more standard-sized ads as well as more formats (.JPG, .GIF, .PNG and .SWF ) We're also doing some tweaks to the look, etc. We always welcome the community's suggestions!

As the site evolves, we continue to try new things and offer more and varied content. Let me add that your blogs, comments and participation are also a highly valued contribution to this site and community. Our ultimate aim is to fan people's passion for playing the violin and for keeping this art a thriving part of our culture worldwide.

October 16, 2008 at 10:05 PM · If you're tweaking the (wonderful) site, you might want to consider putting in a print function that would enable us to print out a thread without including all the extraneous matter on the successive screens. It would be nice to be able to capture some of this in hard copy.

Thanks for considering this, and of course thank you for the site, and your time, effort and expense.

October 16, 2008 at 10:12 PM · I think that changing the site look is a great idea.

Maybe make it so everyones audio/video is available in the "listen" section?

I think it will be neat to see the site in a different format, maybe colors etc. Excited to see the changes!

October 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM · >In November we are re-designing the site in order to support more standard-sized ads as well as more formats (.JPG, .GIF, .PNG and .SWF ) We're also doing some tweaks to the look, etc. We always welcome the community's suggestions!

Please please please don't have blinky adverts! I avoid sites with blinking things or literally put my hand over that part of the screen because I'm highly susceptible to motion sickness, and believe it or not, a blinking screen peripherally when I'm trying to read stationary text is enough to make me feel quite dizzy. It forces me to limit my time there, and I'd hate to have that happen to me at this site.

And thanks, as always, for all the hard work you put into this site, Laurie and Robert!

October 17, 2008 at 01:01 AM · Greetings,

yes. One of the great things about this site is its clean. But there does seme to be a slight movement towards ads changing as one is reading.

let us express our purity of heart with ascetism.

Cheers,

Buri

October 17, 2008 at 01:02 AM · I like the colors. The ads are tasteful, and not the dreaded and loathed blinky kind.

Maybe a "Back To Top" click button at the bottom of the page?

October 17, 2008 at 01:07 AM · I would be pleased to support the site in a small way - since I do not have anything to advertise - if there were info on how to make a donation by Paypal. This is becoming more common, and I'd be glad to kick in ten bucks a year or some such amount, as I do on a couple of other useful sites. I know it says at the bottom of each page that you can buy a t-shirt, but I don't wear printed t-shirts and I'd rather not buy one.

October 17, 2008 at 01:54 AM · > If you're tweaking the (wonderful) site, you might want to consider putting in a print function that would enable us to print out a thread ... <

Bob, you can highlight the thread and copy and paste it into a word doc -- sounds a little long winded, but it only takes about 10 seconds.

October 17, 2008 at 02:21 AM · Also, the HOME button on my keyboard gets me back to the top of the page instantly.

October 17, 2008 at 05:08 AM · These are great ideas; I actually never thought of a "print" function for threads, but it totally makes sense. We'll look into that.

Keep telling us your ideas!

As for blinky ads...we are very conservative about what we permit. Our new format will allow more options for advertisers, but we're not about to go completely crazy. Something like two rotating panels (like the ASM ad) will be allowed. But nothing that extends outside the ad space, no zooming cars and buzzing bees. If sponsor wants to run a video ad, it will require the reader to click on it; we won't allow the autoplay ads.

October 17, 2008 at 05:51 AM · And of course, thanks for keeping out the pop-ups!

October 17, 2008 at 06:25 AM · I pop up from time to time.

Cheers,

Buri

October 17, 2008 at 09:28 AM · Yes poppie.

October 17, 2008 at 11:23 AM · There seems to be an increased amount of requests for support all over the internet, due to present economic situations. I realize how expensive it is to maintain a quality site, and I am of an opinion that a large amount of them do tend to be too "busy". I work with a dinosaur of a machine (5.55 Gigs! believe it or not..but it gets the important jobs done.) and if I hit a site that is too busy, it crashes. I am a budget minded individual that tends to look at factors of exposure possibilities,cost effectiveness and good investment returns. This site is an excellent resource for violinists and Ms. Niles has the perfect situation here. One can discuss topics with others and place other useful information on it as well. She keeps it organized and is not too commercial in nature.I give the presentation style 5 stars. It seems to be one of the more popular sites, especially for teachers. The ads presented are of interest and usefulness to both professional and amature violinists, as well as students and parents of students.

I reviewed the advertising outlines offered, but I am rather ignorant of what an "impression" consists of. Maybe someone could explain that to me. Due to the economy, I would wonder if the site would be willing to offer advertising under $100.00 and present it by a simple, no-frill listing that could be categorized by service? Also one may simply consider a voluntary financial contribution, as a user, but not an advertiser on the site, just to be able to keep it running, as well. The site membership is not huge, as one may see in the members list, but it's members seem dedicated and intelligently well versed in many talents and experiences which makes it interesting, so a little from each person could help more than one might imagine. Many sites that were once free have now had to do this, particularly many teaching sites.

October 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM · I have a modest request, well a couple.

1) would it be possible to add a feature in which you could request an email alert when someone responds to a thread you chose, e.g., one you've posted on? I know a number of boards have this feature and it makes it easier not to miss part of a conversation.

2) would it be possible for an edit button for comments one posts to a blog, in case one makes a stupid typo and needs to fix it?

Great job-- this is i one of the most attractive and well-designed sites I can think of, and you have wonderful, rich content.

October 17, 2008 at 05:00 PM · >Something like two rotating panels (like the ASM ad) will be allowed.

Even this is driving me nuts, I have to say. My hand is up, trying to cover the image as I read. It's so depressing to think this simply reflects the perceived attention span of the average Internet reader/participant, and there will be more of this to come. I realize it's revenue to help support this site, so I'll shut up now. : /

>would it be possible for an edit button for comments one posts to a blog, in case one makes a stupid typo and needs to fix it?

Great point! I've posted a reply on the wrong blog before, and it looks so stupid, but all I can do is follow up with another posted comment of "Er, whoops!"

October 17, 2008 at 05:53 PM · Terez, Post-It notes are your friends...

(Thank you David. I didn't know I had a HOME button, insert smiley face here).

October 17, 2008 at 06:06 PM · The blog comment editing ability is definitely on the list!

October 18, 2008 at 04:12 AM · Terez,

Slide over your window so the ASM flip is off your screen:-)

Laurie,

How about smaller add possibilities? (Little bitty ones:-)

This is the best sight and thanks again for the great interviews, though I keep falling way behind.

D.

October 18, 2008 at 05:07 AM · Laurie - welcome to the delightful world of IT! :)

October 19, 2008 at 04:24 AM · Hi Laurie--

I agree that this is a great site--keep it up. Suggestions posted above are great. I'll add my $.02 to this discussion with my only critique: to make it easier to follow discussions threads, can you reverse the order of posts with the newest at the top? This would keep us all from having to scroll down through messages that we've already read to get to the new content.

Would it also be possible to make it so that hyperlinks are active when clicked on (opening in a new tab or window), instead of copying/pasting the link in a new window?

I also agree with more advertising options. Smaller, less expensive ads would appeal to me.

Thanks for all your time and energy in managing this site.

Josh Henry, Bow Maker

www.FineViolinBows.com

October 19, 2008 at 05:56 AM · Here is what I would like.

If professional violinists could create MP3 selections that were exclusively available through V.COM, and the availability to purchase them were presented, I would have more to listen to, and the platform could be supported.

Failing that, if v.com had a paypal bucket, or some other way to contribute, I would be happy to do so.

One possible option; if v.com took VISA/MC/etc., users could donate. one painless donation is to donate the unusable remainder of gift cards.

When you get a $50.00 gift visa, it is almost impossible to spend the last few dollard on it. If we could donate all those to v.com, it would be painless to us, but allow the site a better budget. I feel ir provides much more than it cost (opportunity to quible over 'cost' here!), so I would not mind adding to my contribution.

October 19, 2008 at 06:36 PM · One other thing I would support. Have two possible methods of displaying the adpanels; if the user is a subscriber, they get tasteful small ads. if not, they get the junky things that anyone with any taste will ignore....as long as you keep the subscription cost minimal, I would happily pay to avoid the obnoxious ads, but I do not mind what the current site provides.

October 20, 2008 at 01:59 AM · >Terez, slide over your window so the ASM flip is off your screen.

I am saved! Thank you, Drew!

And honorary mention in solving this dilemma must go to Anne. I'll tell you what, I couldn't live without Post-it notes. Lifesavers.

October 20, 2008 at 02:06 AM · Rather than a reverse posting with new on top as default, it would be morepleasant to let subscribers define the way they'd prefer to read the posts. That way folks who print them out will not have to start reading from the bottom, and those who want the latest could have it their way as well.

I believe hotmail has that sort of option for displaying mail, BTW.

October 20, 2008 at 02:01 AM · Rich text support (i.e. easier hyperlinking) is coming next month for blog and discussion entries, as is editing for blog comments.

As for a more printer-friendly version of a discussion thread, how is this? There's no type style defined for that page, so if anyone has strong feelings, lemme know. I'd likely link these pages with a printer graphic at the top of the "regular" discussion page.

October 20, 2008 at 03:31 AM · As for a more printer-friendly version of a discussion thread, how is this?

Nice!

October 20, 2008 at 03:46 AM · My eyes are middle aged...bigger font please on the 'printer friendly' format.

October 22, 2008 at 01:56 PM · In the "My Profile" page, there are spaces provided for up to four teachers. Could more spaces be provided?

October 24, 2008 at 04:26 PM · Hey Laurie - I love the site as is but, I do have one suggestion. This may have already been brought up but...

Currently when I do a search and find the specific comment or thread I want (in the search) when I click on the link it brings up a huge number of threads related to my search. Then I have to scroll down and read through numerous threads trying to find the comment that I was looking for.

Is there any way to bring up just the one link I had searched for? I hope that made sense. :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe