What's your score?

October 2, 2008 at 08:19 PM · Take the adaptive pitch test and find out!

Replies (32)

October 2, 2008 at 10:15 PM · The results page says that I can distinguish pitches that are 4,8 HZ apart (being a semitone aproximately 30Hz apart).

I am quite happy :D

However, the average when I took the test was 3,98HZ... I think this has been taken only by musically trained people...

October 3, 2008 at 12:18 AM · I was not quite as happy when I took it.

October 3, 2008 at 12:44 AM · 87 percentile, about .7125 Hz at 500Hz, I got lower-but my windows are open and I have a parking lot outside...that starts getting really tricky at .375Hz

October 3, 2008 at 01:21 AM · This is a great test! It shows how closely you have to listen to your intonation (and what you could get away with).

The first time through cold, I got 74th percentile. The second time, warmed up and realizing you can hit the replay button, I got 94th percentile, 0.4125 Hz. Ilya, Hilary get on here.

October 3, 2008 at 03:59 AM · I was .45, which is surprising because I'm a bit hearing impared. I did the test twice, the second time I turned the volume up so I could actually hear it and I did much better.

October 3, 2008 at 04:29 AM · 0.525 Hz, p87.

If we get enough responses, we can make statistics for V.com members. Hypothesis: V.comers can tell apart smaller differences than the statistics indicated in the web site.

October 3, 2008 at 06:46 AM · 1st time round 49th%, then I noticed the replay key, 2nd was 74th%. Much worse when the 2nd note was sharper than the 1st, I think I got all correct when the 2nd note was flatter.

October 3, 2008 at 10:44 AM · very upset with my results...below 50%

strangely, I scored 80% on the rhythm test

maybe I should trade in my violin for a drumkit!

October 3, 2008 at 01:29 PM · .825 Hz, 74%ile

I'm quite surprised .825 Hz is only the 74%ile! This must be quite skewed by musicians because I don't believe 1/4 of the general population can do better than that!

October 3, 2008 at 02:07 PM · I can't stream anything on my computer, so I can't try the test. I remember doing this sort of thing is grad school with a teacher who was very devoted to electronic composition, though. Can anyone give a quick comparison between the HZ you are quoting and the cents that tuners show? Thanks, Sue

October 3, 2008 at 03:45 PM · In the vicinity of the test frequency of 500 Hz, 3Hz is about 10 cents.

October 3, 2008 at 04:36 PM · According to wiki one formula is ~3986 log f1/f2. So at 500Hz (which I think this is) if your score was .5Hz that would be around 1.7 cents. If your score was 1Hz it would be around 3.5 cents.

The second time through on the small Hz, I tried to decide if I could hear the first note as like a leading tone to the second note. It's testing your problem-solving rather than only your hearing, maybe.

Also, the results you get has got to be dependent on the quality of your playback stuff. My computer is connected to a stereo, which is connected to regular bookshelf speakers. If you didn't do well on your speakers, try something else.

October 3, 2008 at 05:41 PM · Well, whatever it does, an extra turn of the scroll looks really pretty.

http://www.violinviolacello.com/MagginiViolinScrollSideLarge.jpg

October 3, 2008 at 06:29 PM · My score is 2,4 of identfying HZ apart... Still confused what it means. Will take it once again...

October 3, 2008 at 06:33 PM · 2nd time - 0.6 HZ apart...

October 3, 2008 at 06:39 PM · interesting, but wonder how meaningful it is in reality, to tell teeny weeny bits apart.

one thing telling though, is that some do better the second time around, perhaps suggestive of how we should practice. if we don't pay full attention listening when we practice, doesn't matter how good the ears are, does it?

October 3, 2008 at 07:48 PM · there are many variables in this "test":

-your current cognitive state of mind

-the adequacy of your speakers

-background noise

-volume control on speakers

-testing has its inappropriateness regarding the

attributes of test takers. as an example,your

IQ is a number on 1 IQ test---if you take

a different test,then your IQ may increase

well beyond even your expectations !

-in short,no one has the answers to the

questions of life and chances are they probably

will not in future.

-numbers,as a result of a test remain

insignificant--yet they represent a measure- to

which we can pinpoint a numerical value of a persona

-its every ones best shot,even though its riddled

with fallacy......

October 3, 2008 at 07:45 PM · .7125 87%

October 3, 2008 at 08:26 PM · I had a ball taking all the tests, woot.

I got 1.2 Hz on the pitch test (oops, should have started playing the violin earlier...)

80% on the rhythm test

80.6% on the tonedeaf test (89% the second time I took it, but that's cheating.)

and 100% on the musical-visual test (yay me).

And no, I didn't take them in that order. Fun tests, though.

EDIT: found the replay key. Now it's 0.56 Hz or something.

EDIT: okay now it's 0.3 Hz. I am having way too much fun I am going to stop now.

October 3, 2008 at 08:05 PM · There must be something wrong with my Flash installation-- it won't take me to the other tests' pages! Could it be because I declined their stupid, invasive advertising???

October 3, 2008 at 08:07 PM · I utterly disagree with all that, Joe. This can't be compared to an IQ test; it's much more objective. Assuming the room is silent and your speakers can reproduce the tones, you can either hear these differences or you can't.

Yep, IQ tests depend on your knowledge and experience; this in no way does.

October 3, 2008 at 08:27 PM · Wow, that's really interesting! I got .225 (99.1%) the second time and .6 the first...

October 3, 2008 at 08:42 PM · I think I'd rather listen to your fiddle playing than my own, too!

October 3, 2008 at 11:45 PM · It doesn't give a score when I finish--just brings up a survey.

I had perfect scores until I hit the 0.18 Hz tone difference.

Which needs to be referenced to the fundamental to mean anything.

OK so it is at 500 hz.

I took it again and it says I was reliable to .3 which amounts to 99.1%ile

I am surprised at how poor the middle of the bell curve is!

edit: Jim explained it. I think that makes sense. If it were gathered rather more scientifically, perhaps the bell would look narrower and farther to the right.

October 3, 2008 at 09:09 PM · My ADHD comes to the fore on a test like this. By tone 16 or 20whatever, I was anxious for the thing to finish, and stopped listening as closely. In particular the rhythm tests and the tone deaf. One of them had 36 samples, I was a bit impulsive and hit my response before listening all the way through - then I noticed that sometimes the sample differed right at the end. Oops. was averagely tone deaf, but in 90 somethingth % on the rhythm. Not sure what that all means but its fun.

October 3, 2008 at 10:08 PM · "I am surprised at how poor the middle of the bell curve is! "

It's probably skewed by people just clicking through it to see what happens and by poor first attempts.

October 3, 2008 at 10:05 PM · My long-time suspicions were confirmed when I got a poor score on the rhythm test. But I have ADHD too and I think it was because I couldn't remember that long. :-)

Er, what was the question?

There needs to be an aditional rhythm test, one that tests ability to discern ability to "swing," that is, play ahead or behind the beat at will.

October 4, 2008 at 01:36 AM · Wow! I feel pretty inadequate. First time I scored 3.3, second time 2.4. Maybe I should give up violin and take up piano. No wonder my teacher always harps about my intonation.

October 4, 2008 at 04:15 AM · .4875, 94th percentile, first go (but lots of re-listens).

October 4, 2008 at 04:31 AM · "At 500 Hz, you can reliably differentiate two tones 0.6 Hz apart."

October 12, 2008 at 06:40 AM · my neighbour,the flutist was here tonite

i gave her the test

she scored in the top 3%...

forever and a day,i'll have to live with

her 'golden' ear...

i'll not hear the end.

i'll just ignore her

but that will not happen

she does have a better ear

and i commend her for this ability.......

October 12, 2008 at 11:48 AM · Here are the statistics:

(A table was supposed to go here, but it came out unreadable)

The 5% trimmed geometrical mean and sd are 0.67 Hz and a factor of 2.0, respectively.

Compared to the numbers on the testing site, violinists seem to have good musical ears.

(or they are reluctant to make a mediocre result public ;)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe