What is the funnest surprise you've ever received?

September 25, 2008 at 06:41 PM · So here I am, recovering from gum surgery that I had on Tuesday -- a graft over three teeth. I look like Edward Kennedy and I feel like someone has socked me in the right jaw. I can't really eat food, so I've been sipping smoothies and generally longing for the day when I can eat something fun, solid, enjoyable.

Then, out of nowhere, the doorbell rings. When I come to my door I find six pints of Graeter's ice cream, sent in a big white foam cooler on dry ice. My sister, Katie, sent it all the way across the country, from Cincinnati! As many Midwesterners know, this is the ice cream of ice creams.

I knew these kinds of things were possible, but wow. Sending ice cream. To ME! I'm so tickled!

So what's the best funny surprise like that that you've ever received, or given?

Replies (20)

September 25, 2008 at 07:58 PM · I can't remember receiving one, but I've sent a few :) Well, I received something called an "adventscalendar" or similar from someone in Germany, which was different.

Graeter's is great, along Gold Star. Have a speedy recovery, and better start flossing ;)

September 25, 2008 at 07:59 PM · I am sooooooooooooo jealous. Aw, gee, Graeter's is good. But get well soon.

(I am feeling a bit tired today. If anyone wants to send me six pints of Graeter's, I wouldn't mind...)

September 25, 2008 at 08:42 PM · Lots of sympathy for the dentist stuff Laurie, I'm going through adult orthodontic stuff at the moment and I know how it can hurt!

Lovely story about the icecream, but - you didn't tell us which flavour it was!!!

By the way, another great thing to "eat" while you are suffering dental work is smooth soup, makes a change from smoothies. My dentist also recommended old fashioned salt water gargles and baby teething gel to help bring down the inflammation.

September 25, 2008 at 08:54 PM · How could I forget the flavors? Lemon sorbet, Cookies and Cream, and Black Raspberry Chip.

I won't be able to eat the latter, with the giant dark chocolate chips, for a few weeks, but her logic was sound: You don't send Graeter's halfway across the country without sending some Black Raspberry Chip. :)

Anne, I'd totally share if I could. Or....would I? ;)

September 25, 2008 at 11:42 PM · Well Laurie, I certainly would NOT share mine!

(Insert smiley face here).

I love the Chocolate Chocolate chip.

Sigh...

September 26, 2008 at 01:41 AM · Yummy, sounds like another American delicacy I'll have to look out for. These flavours have me drooling. Hope you've got a secret compartment in your freezer to prevent thievery!

September 26, 2008 at 02:14 AM · Biggest surprise...Opened a bag of mulch left out over the Winter in Stamford, Connecticut,

there was a small hole in the bag, it was packed full of.........snakes. Oh, and not a single field mouse.

September 26, 2008 at 10:41 AM · What sort of snakes were they?

September 26, 2008 at 01:22 PM · Oh my god! (About the snakes.)

September 26, 2008 at 02:17 PM · S-s-s-snakes?

September 26, 2008 at 03:12 PM · In 1988, I lived in Lafayette, Louisiana and was a big fan of Cajun food. I had a baby in December, and in celebration, my mother sent me TWO DOZEN OYSTERS from Don's Seafood Hut! I ate every one of them from my hospital bed and tossed the shells into the trash. :-) I'm pretty sure that trash bag was not what the custodial crew were expecting...

September 27, 2008 at 03:26 AM · Nothin' like a taste of home in times of duress!

September 29, 2008 at 03:46 AM · Years ago a friend I had known at work but not seen recently, Jason, called and asked if I could babysit his old weiner dog, Sadie, for the weekend. He was having dental surgery on Friday and didn't want to have to get up and walk her several times a day(old dog weak bladder). I said sure, I had a fenced yard and was off untill Monday...Monday rolls around, no call from Jason, so I called his house. His housemate answered. I asked how Jason was doing, and could I bring Sadie by on my way to work....long silence, then he asks what I mean...so I explain...another silence...then he tells me that Jason has left for Seattle, for good. He was wondering what Jason had done with the dog. He had advertised in the paper and thru two adoption sites to try to find a home for her.....she was very sweet, we all loved her and sha lived another few years.

September 29, 2008 at 04:10 AM · Another time, a neighbor down the road asked if he could put a mare he had just bought at the livestock sale in our side pasture for the week untill he could finish a stall for her. I said sure, just be sure of the fence before you put her in, because I hadn't used it for years and he said sure, and that was that. I got home late and shone a light down the hill, and there was a pretty brown mare, grazing in the tall grass. Next morning she had a brand new mule foal at her side. We named her "Suprise".

September 29, 2008 at 04:22 AM · A mule? They still make those? That's a surprise too.

September 29, 2008 at 04:24 AM · Sure, they still make mules. I have a breeding pair, if you want; Good price! :>

September 29, 2008 at 04:27 AM · Trade you my bridge in Nu Yawk.

September 29, 2008 at 05:19 AM · It's a deal!

Now, rock/paper/scissors to decide who pays postage!

September 29, 2008 at 09:57 AM · Someone gave me a grasshopper once. I still have it.

I miss grasshoppers.

September 30, 2008 at 04:31 AM · I have a 5 year old grandson that comes over almost every weekend; I get fun suprises all the time!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe