Wish List: Who should Laurie interview next?

September 20, 2008 at 05:45 PM · Laurie's extensive in-depth interviews are an interesting and informative feature of this website. Even as the finest print sources are shrinking down article content to cater to the attention spans of strobe lights, it is refreshing to read, and learn, about artists and their craft in detailed interviews that are not limited to a pre-set page count.

So, just for fun, who do you think Laurie should interview next?

Replies (76)

September 19, 2008 at 07:31 PM · 1) Arnold Steinhardt

2) Robert Mann

3) Joseph Silverstein

September 20, 2008 at 06:04 PM · 1. Stephen Brivati

2. James Ehnes

September 20, 2008 at 06:07 PM · Our Stephen (Buri) Bravati would be a cool interview. we have come too know much and yet very little of this person.

Joseph Silverstein

Madori. (I can't remember if she already has been interviewed?)

If a v.commie I think Marina would be neat!

September 20, 2008 at 06:28 PM · Alison Krauss!

She gets a lot of non-fiddle play here, but her fiddling's outstanding too (as you'd expect).

For classical,

Eugene Fodor!

Possibly the person with the most interesting story to tell.

For country,

Aubrey Haynie!

What it's like to be on half the hit country records, and left off the album credits as often as not.

September 20, 2008 at 06:39 PM · Britney Spears and Paris Hilton and their contributions to arts and humanity.

September 20, 2008 at 06:45 PM · Not sure when he is next in Laurie's neck of the woods as his website isn't updated at the moment, but I would love to read an interview with Nikolaj Znaider - he has some very interesting ideas about playing and music.

It would be cool to get insight into being a top concert master - perhaps Marty Chalifour?

September 20, 2008 at 07:05 PM · Janine Jansen for sure.

September 20, 2008 at 07:28 PM · Frank Peter Zimmerman!!!

September 20, 2008 at 07:34 PM · Gil Shaham!

September 20, 2008 at 08:00 PM · Julia Fischer!

September 20, 2008 at 08:12 PM · 2nd Julia Fischer. Or Lara St. John.

September 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM · Midori!

September 20, 2008 at 10:18 PM · Alison Krauss for sure!

And other than Hilary, I think it would be neat to interview someone here at v.com.

September 20, 2008 at 11:21 PM · Is the Ilya gringolts on this site THE Ilya Gringolts? If so, interview him.

And Julia Fischer all the way, baby!

September 20, 2008 at 11:33 PM · Anne-Sophie Mutter

Maybe leading instructors?

September 21, 2008 at 12:28 AM · Aaron Rosand.

September 21, 2008 at 12:41 AM · Me Royce? (blush)

Seriously, David Nadien. Seriously. Really.

September 21, 2008 at 01:33 AM · marin alsop!

but they're on opp. sides of the U.S.

that might be a problem :)

September 21, 2008 at 01:36 AM · Marina- Interview you? Darn Streight! With your acomplishments you better believe it!!!! And Andrew Sords also! I'm serious! Both of y'all, and there's a few more too.

Kind Regards,

Royce

ps: I almost said Madori earlier. That would be awsome!

September 21, 2008 at 01:59 AM · Anne Akiko Meyers.

September 21, 2008 at 02:30 AM · Didn't she already interview Ms. Meyers?

September 21, 2008 at 04:34 AM · I'd vote for Buri, simply so I can see a picture of what he looks like.

September 21, 2008 at 10:25 AM · Please interview Janine Jansen and Simone Lamsma. I heard Simone in concert here in South Africa and the music touched me enormously.

September 21, 2008 at 10:34 AM · Marty D- See what Buri looks like. He wares make-up like the rock band KISS.

September 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM · How about Steven Staryk....

September 21, 2008 at 01:22 PM · I would also like to add Roman Totenberg! Or Pamela Frank!

The LA Phil has many stellar violinists performing with them this year, (thus making it most convenient for Laurie to set up an interview, hint hint):

Midori

Znaider

Guiliano Carmignola

Shaham

Tetzlaff

Hahn

Chang

Bell

Fischer

September 21, 2008 at 01:30 PM · I agree. I really would like to see an interview with Janine Jansen... She's my favorite violinist and I love her energy. By the few interviews that are on youtube, You can see that she is really great person and would be lots of fun to interview.

Come on Laurie, How could you not interview her?!!

September 21, 2008 at 01:30 PM · I agree. I really would like to see an interview with Janine Jansen... She's my favorite violinist and I love her energy. By the few interviews that are on youtube, You can see that she is really great person and would be lots of fun to interview.

Come on Laurie, How could you not interview her?!!

September 21, 2008 at 01:39 PM · I see lots of great suggestions already, but how about Christian Tetzlaff?

September 21, 2008 at 01:38 PM · i suggest everyone's favorites: andre reus and vanessa mae.

on violinists, i would think mr rosand would have many interesting perspectives to share. it is unthinkable to be able to give public appearances over the age of 80!

September 21, 2008 at 01:48 PM · Gil Shaham, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Midori, Kyung-Wha Chung...

An interview with any of them would be great, for sure!!!

September 21, 2008 at 02:03 PM · Here's a wonderful violinist (& cute also!)who's schedualed to play here at The university November 21. Tai Murray!

*Maxim V.

*Madori

*Pearlman

*Kyung-Wa Chung

September 21, 2008 at 02:49 PM · Carmigniola? I'm there!

September 21, 2008 at 03:37 PM · I agree Rosand would be a great choice, I'd love to know how he keeps his playing up to scratch at the age of 80!

September 21, 2008 at 06:16 PM · Yeah, Rosand would be totally cool. You could entice him with some fine Cuban cigars, obtained legally of course.

September 21, 2008 at 07:41 PM · How about some contemporary composers to see how they think about writing for string instruments.

September 21, 2008 at 09:23 PM · Aaron Rosand, Vilmos Szabadi, Albrecht Breuninger, Philippe Graffin, Olivier Charlier, Gerard Poulet, Jean Luc Ponty

September 22, 2008 at 01:58 AM · Jim W. Miller [Just kidding] !

September 22, 2008 at 02:03 AM · How about a luthier instead of someone known for their playing? There is so much discussion of the instruments, it would be great to get an in-depth view of how someone that makes the instrument views the different players, and what it takes to get an instrument to contain the various characteristics.

September 22, 2008 at 02:07 AM · Mr. Burgess !!!!!!!

September 22, 2008 at 02:13 AM · Yes. A luthier would be fancinating! To hear about apprenticeship, the luthiers that were before them, etc. Our Luis Manfio... Him!

September 22, 2008 at 02:51 AM · Yes a luthier - Manfio or David, or Michael. All have different perspectives. Is jeffrey Holmes still on the board? That takes care of the next year.

September 22, 2008 at 03:31 AM · how about how a luthier deals with

the common folk [players] ?

there would be BIG TIME STORIES involved !

September 22, 2008 at 03:23 AM · Hey everyone, thank you for all the suggestions! Here are the interviews I've done, as well as some done by our Caeli Smith.

I will keep these in mind when various opportunities arise for these kinds of interviews. I really prefer to do them in person so that I can actually talk in some depth. So that means being in the same place at the same time, which is sometimes a challenge!

Tickets to Paris, London, NY always accepted... ;) Add Cincinnati to that, my parents and sister live there...

September 22, 2008 at 04:08 AM · I second Nikolaj Znaider...Arnold Steinhart's always amusing...so is Gil Shaham...

How about a great teacher? Zakhar Bron, Boris Kushnir, or maybe Victor Danchenko? ;-)

September 29, 2008 at 06:23 PM · Besides all those more or less manageable names mentioned above, I’d love to read an interview with Marina Fragoulis and Rosalind Porter - I merely doubt art management is a field the majority of us knows much about. At least whenever I read about it, I’ve got quite a lot of open questions left. Both are very helpful, I think we all could learn a lot there.

An alternative and less laborious way of interviewing could be a little Skype-session: free software, no costs, we might ask the questions ourselves, record it and write a script afterwards. =)

September 29, 2008 at 08:11 PM · How about Joel Smirnoff, and his transition to CIM and the Juilliard Quartet search for a replacement? Lots of dynamics here with 3 major organizations feeling the impact of his move.

September 29, 2008 at 08:53 PM · -SARAH CHANG!!

-JANINE JANSEN!!

September 29, 2008 at 08:53 PM · I second the Joel Smirnoff interview. It would also be good to hear from his wife Joan who has been teaching along side him at Juilliard. This reminds me of the time James Buswell moved from Indiana to NEC.Will his current students get up and move with him? Interesting to see what happens.

September 29, 2008 at 09:28 PM · I vote for Midori. Since she is now based at USC, it should be easier to get an interview. What do you think Laurie?

September 30, 2008 at 05:13 AM · Ayke Agus. Her playing today, both on violin and piano are remarkable. Her association with Heifetz could be a story unto itself as could her relationship with other's who surrounded Heifetz (Piatigorsky, Primrose, the list goes on) She was in the middle of it all. She's very personable and lives in the LA area. She is a personal friend of many famous violinists today (Ricci comes to mind).

September 30, 2008 at 05:57 AM · While we're wishing, how about Heifetz and Oistrakh? (Yes, in the same room!) Heifetz is at UCSB so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Forgive me if I'm a little behind the times.

September 30, 2008 at 01:18 PM · I agree with all those who suggested Joel Smirnoff about his move to Cleveland Institute and the search for his replacement in the Juilliard String Quartet.

I think this would also be a terrific time to interview James Ehness considering his recent successes.

September 30, 2008 at 03:17 PM · I second the interview with Professor Frank. She is an amazing violinist, teacher, and human being!!! Except she's out here in Baltimore...

Anne has the right idea! The LA Phil's list of violinists are amazing and would be the most likely way to go...

Midori

Znaider

Guiliano Carmignola

Shaham

Tetzlaff

Hahn

Chang

Bell

Fischer

Anyone of these violinists would be amazing! Maybe we you can even do a part II for Hahn or Bell?

I would love to see a Sarah Chang and Nick Znaider interview...Midori would also be amazing. Her charitable work is unparalleled amongst her contemporaries

September 30, 2008 at 05:41 PM · It would be wonderful if Laurie could interview Robert Mann. I've always had the greatest admiration for him! Also, the Juilliard String Quartet is my favorite - with him as first violinist.

It would also be very fascinating if Laurie could interview David Nadien. He's one of the best!!! Lol, I would love to hear about that very gorgeous vibrato that he has.

September 30, 2008 at 06:24 PM · This list is getting very long; I need a clone! But keep 'em coming! ;)

September 30, 2008 at 07:59 PM · Jorja Fleezanis, Christian Tetzlaff and the Austrian (?) Thomas Zehetmair

September 30, 2008 at 08:04 PM · Leonidas Kavakos

Frank Peter Zimmerman

Julia Fischer

September 30, 2008 at 09:15 PM · I DEFINITELY second the notion for Ayke Agus. She is truly talented, and her connections with Heifetz and many other belated virtuousis would be very interesting to hear about!

September 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM · I'll be interviewing Anne-Sophie Mutter tomorrow, so please tell me your questions for her!

September 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM · Definitely Mr. Rosand!

I also second Leonidas Kavakos and James Ehnes. Another suggestion: Sergey Khachatryan.

October 1, 2008 at 01:37 PM · Todd and María have earned something, haven't they?

October 4, 2008 at 04:39 PM · Sadly, Mr. Perlman's career will soon be coming to a close with all of his medical problems, playing in a wheel chair, etc. Am sure he would be open to the suggestion. If he is unable, try Giora Schmidt... Perlman's 25 year old protoge.

October 5, 2008 at 01:01 AM · Shia Lebeouf. I know he isn't a violinist, but she's already interviewing Anne-Sophie Mutter and that's the top for me. I love AS's playing. I love Shia's cuteness.

Jasmine

October 5, 2008 at 01:03 AM · And the thread title did not specify that the interviewee had to be a violinist, so...

October 5, 2008 at 01:03 AM · When you interview him? Can I come?

October 5, 2008 at 06:23 AM · A baroque violinist. It would educate those who might otherwise not have heard of authentic baroque players and their techniques in contrast to modern violinists.

October 5, 2008 at 06:56 AM · what about leonidas kavakos

October 5, 2008 at 07:07 AM · "A baroque violinist."

She interviewed one a long time ago, but it's not on her list of interviews. It was interesting because there were some video demonstrations with it.

October 5, 2008 at 09:40 AM · I remember that. The shifting demonstrations were right on.

October 5, 2008 at 03:13 PM · I think a baroque violinist would be amazing. Guiliano Carmignola!!!! Maybe it will help spur up some more heated debates on v.com

October 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM · I vote for Julia Fischer or James Ehnes. Also maybe Salvatore Accardo since he's getting to be from the "other" generation.

Is there an interview of Julia Fishcer in English already somwhere?

October 5, 2008 at 11:50 PM · Does anyone still have a link to that interview? I would love to see it!

October 6, 2008 at 12:17 AM · Andrew Bird..... Dr. Stringz

October 6, 2008 at 05:09 AM · The baroque violinist that Laurie interviewed was Tricia Ahern and she plays with Tafelmusik. Scroll down until Feb.7,2008 and you'll find it.

October 6, 2008 at 03:24 PM · To: Joseph Galamba

Here is one interview with Julia Fischer in English from last year.

FMF

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe