Rachel Barton Pine week!

September 15, 2008 at 06:42 PM · Rachel Barton Pine has given us five Beethoven/Clement concertos CDs, one to give out each day of this week to Violinist.com members. We'll think of fun questions about Beethoven and Clement for each day. If you haven't read it yet, Rachel gave us a lot of interesting information in an interview with me last week. (Hint, hint!;)

You can win her CD by answering today's question: Click here for the question or click on the message at the top of the page to get to the question.

Replies (23)

September 16, 2008 at 01:52 PM · Hope I win! :)

(Yeah, I know I'm located outside of North America, but I do have an address that it can be sent to :D )

September 16, 2008 at 05:38 PM · Congratulations to Violinist.com member Clio Chimento of Rockville, Maryland, who correctly answered that Beethoven wrote his violin concerto for... Franz Clement. (Though, Buri, yes, he also wrote it for POSTERITY ;)

The new question is up for another chance to win Rachel's CD!

September 17, 2008 at 04:18 AM · I was quite confused because I was under the impression that it was written for Stephan van Breuning. I know that Franz Clement was the first to play it, but not that is was necessarily written for him. Oh well, I lost.

September 17, 2008 at 08:59 AM · Marty - Clement asked Beethoven to write the concerto for him to premiere at the celebration concert, wich Beethoven did. It was written FOR Clement.

Later when it was about to get published (almost 2 years later) Beethoven dedicated it to Breuning.

September 17, 2008 at 04:16 PM · I see, thanks for clearing that up.

September 17, 2008 at 05:29 PM · Marty, I confess, some of these are trick questions... But today's is quite straightforward!

And about yesterday's...You'd have thought that Beethoven wrote the "Kreutzer sonata" for Kreutzer, but actually he wrote it for violinist George Bridgetower, but later retracted the dedication when they got in an argument over...a girl. Here's a nice video clip of Rachel telling the story. Congratulations to Violinist.com reader Kassie Meeks of Valparaiso, Indiana, who answered yesterdays' question correctly and won the CD!

Here's today's question!

September 17, 2008 at 07:45 PM · This IS Great! Even if I never win again I'm just as thrilled for the others winning like when I did! Plus, learning things I doubt I would have ever learned anywhere else!

Is there some trivia book where you (Laurie) get these facts/questions?

September 17, 2008 at 08:40 PM · Ack, I missed the first day! Ok, I'm paying attention now. Thanks for another fun contest, Laurie!

September 18, 2008 at 08:01 PM · Well, we have another winner: Elizabeth Musil of Shubert, Nebraska. Congratulations!

She correctly answered that the Beethoven and Clement concertos are both in D major. Many violin concertos are, because it's just a violin-friendly, resonant key.

Are you jealous because everyone else is winning a CD and you haven't yet? Do you like answering violin trivia questions? Would you like Rachel's CD? Then answer today's question!

September 18, 2008 at 09:44 PM · Hooray Elizabeth! :^D

September 19, 2008 at 07:52 AM · Thanks!

September 19, 2008 at 07:13 PM · You're welcome, Elizabeth!

And now, one more chance. The new question is up! If you're not sure about the answer, check what Rachel said...

Congratulations to Violinist.com reader Blaine Nierman of Raleigh, North Carolina, who correctly answered that the Saint-Saens No. 3 violin concerto shares the same Opus number as the Beethoven (Op. 61). And just to add, so does the Elgar violin concerto! (BTW yesterday's question came compliments of Violinist.com member Bruce Bodden; thank you Bruce!)

September 20, 2008 at 12:21 AM · Yea! Too everyone! Enjoy your CDs!!!!

Kind Regards,

Royce Faina

September 20, 2008 at 06:51 AM · There is one more opus number that is shared by three violin concerti. I found out by accident.

September 20, 2008 at 03:43 PM · Szymanowski violin concerto no. 2 is also a 61st opus.

September 22, 2008 at 04:15 AM · Congratulations to Emily Vold of Plymouth, Minnesota, who won Friday's CD from Rachel! She correctly answered that Franz Clement did NOT play his violin upside-down during the premiere of the Beethoven Violin Concerto. As Rachel told us, it's just a myth!

Thanks, everyone, for your participation, and we plan to do more of these!

September 22, 2008 at 04:34 AM · Ok, it wasn't upside down, but didn't he play part of the third movement with his teeth and behind his head?

September 22, 2008 at 04:46 AM · Didn't he also use the shoulder rest to bridge a viola and play it like a violin?

Or am I thinking of someone else....

September 22, 2008 at 04:57 AM · Hah! All urban legend! Or ...some kinda legend!

September 22, 2008 at 05:24 AM · Urban legend? Mine was made up in the sticks.

September 22, 2008 at 05:28 AM · I was afraid of that.

September 22, 2008 at 05:42 AM · I was just trying to make it sound like he was good.

September 22, 2008 at 07:20 PM · oohh thanks!!!

I have been out of town over the weekend to some Scottish Games in Charleston, SC and have not been near a computer...what a welcome home!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe