Hilary Hahn's Videos :)

September 15, 2008 at 06:44 PM · I was checking her videos all day and she was running a marathon putting up a new video every 20 minutes!

It's great to see that she can be the serious Hilary when she's on the stage, and the funny, crazy Hilary when she's not.

Each one made me laugh, and it seems like she answered quite a few of the Violinst.com member's questions and even some of the funny ones.

I thought it was a great thing and hope she does a video blog every week!

Replies (46)

September 15, 2008 at 06:48 PM · wow......she responded. You know, I feel really special. Lol....as does everyone else she responded to, I'm sure.

September 15, 2008 at 07:19 PM · Me to !!!

September 15, 2008 at 10:01 PM · I did and love them! I haven't sent an email/responce. I would love too, but I'm sure she's getting quite a few by now. I'll let some time go by, absorb and think before I say anything. But I really love the growth that she's gone through since I bought her first CD. would love to be able to play just half as well.

September 15, 2008 at 10:15 PM · What is the Marilyn Monroe impression? Which video is it in?

September 15, 2008 at 10:19 PM · Maestro O'Brian Wan Kanobe, I can't imagine getting a responce! You are alot more competent than you realise! I'm not surprised that she responded too you! Way to go Dude!

September 15, 2008 at 11:14 PM · The Marilyn Monroe one is one of the ones titled "Happy B'day Schoenberg" (It's the one that doesn't have her holding the 134 candle and lighting it). I didn't know Hilary could sing--What a funny way of discovering that! :)

If you're reading this, thanks for posting and answering my questions, Hilary. I'm very happy and honored you did!

September 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM · It seems like she removed a few.... There were like 26 originally and now there are 21 ... Wierd.

September 16, 2008 at 03:28 PM · I made a remark about Marilyn Monroe imitation and gave a videoresponse with my 150th birthdayvideo of Ysaye on her happy birthday singingvideo for Schoenberg. For some reason she must be insulted or irritated. Instead of 5 stars the Ysayevideo has now 4 stars, so perhaps she gave it 1 star, because she dislikes Ysaye and consider him as 2th rank compared to the big Schoenberg?? Just her singingvideo and the candleact134 had a lot of views and most comments. Or perhaps later on she consider it too funny and removed them for that reason??

I made a same sort of joke by singing for the 150th birthday of Ysaye and that video now has 1 star. Perhaps she rates again? Perhaps she will give an answer, but I guess not. Perhaps you can ask her about this after a concert.

I like her initiatives for promoting Schoenberg and I hope she will write regular on violinist.com and make more Youtube-movies.

September 16, 2008 at 04:30 PM · may be people are micro-managing their hilary infaturation a bit over the top?

really think she has the time/interest to react to any little gestures from her fans? if we truly respect her as a person and an artist, is there a line that we do not want to cross to make her uncomfortable, that she deserves some space and breathing room to her own?

September 16, 2008 at 04:46 PM · I don't know, Al. I think there's a good chance that Bram did offend her with his video response. Her channel is very new and she's been adding (and now subtracting) to it over the past few days. She did take her two Happy Birthday videos down after Bram posted his. She's a real person and has always made a point of being personable with her fans, but I think Bram took it too far and owes her an apology.

September 16, 2008 at 05:13 PM · We are all humanbeings, all works in progress. We need to respect each others dignity and at the same time not ware our emotions on our sleeves either, since we are imperfect. Violinists with great acomplishments are people and we need to ask ourselves if it were me on the receiving end of what I'm about to post how would I feel? Or how should it be taken as constructive?

If it were me at this moment, I would be very excited and would be putting up one post and then take it down to add another, etc. She's just as nervous as many of us are wanting to take an initiative, "Hi Hilary how are you?"

September 16, 2008 at 05:31 PM · E. Smith said: "She did take her two Happy Birthday videos down after Bram posted his."

No, they were removed before I made my birthdaymovie for Ysaye, I saw, but I liked her idea so I use her former format for my story about Ysaye, to add to the photo's we made earlier in Brussel. But I forget to use candles and the numbers 1 5 0. But you can not steal everything.

September 16, 2008 at 06:04 PM · mrs smith, i am with you on that. may be i am old school or different school, i feel that male fans should stay at a greater distance to a female superstar:) to avoid being too close for comfort...

September 16, 2008 at 08:43 PM · I agree with E.Smith,

I saw your video in the blog section, and... It was creepy; I can easily see how she would be freaked out or offended by that. Not to be mean because I dont know anything about you and you may have some disorder or something, But when you showed the alcohol and said your drunk,,, That was taking it too far. I think you should remove it immediately as there are younger people on this site.

September 16, 2008 at 11:59 PM · Ummm....but that was kind of offensive towards Mr. Heemskerk. I have read his blogs, and I find him to be very intelligent, very far away from having a mental illness. Maybe you ought to apologize for that.

September 17, 2008 at 12:17 AM · I wont be so quick to do so. He was slurring his words throughout the video, and he showed the alcohol on the video and said "sorry I'm a bit drunk"(obviously an under statement) while slurring his words.

I dont want to apologize because I hate drunks and cant stand them because of personal experiences.

September 17, 2008 at 12:13 AM · She can take care of herself. I wasn't really sure until I saw the happy birthday video, but now I know.

September 17, 2008 at 02:24 AM · I just hope that the right protocol can be found. I would love to see other violinists/muscians that Laurie interviews to become more active and proactive in these threads! I cannot imagine the gems to be had yet only to lose them because "We" Blew it!

This is something of a first (I guess) and it looks as though it's a 'learn as we go'. Just hope for patience from the other person as they patient with ourself. For now it's a bit rocky but I feel that it'll smoothe out and other recording violinists will join and join in.

September 17, 2008 at 06:22 AM · First of all I have to say that she removed her video's BEFORE I made my one. I only drink 3 glasses of wine (normally I seldom drink[average of 2 glasses every week]) to be in the same mood as Marilyn Monroe, who was also a bit drunk while singing for the president. Ok I have to admit it is not my best video, but in the end I show a glass with the name VIEUX TEMPS on it, although hardly visible.

And OK I steal her idea AFTER she removed her video.

Before that I did a lot of work copying a lot of pictures with google images for her playing of the 3th movenement of the violinconcerto of Barber, a quite serious video with 250!! views the first day. Have you seen that video and do you like it (specially her playing)? http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=BM978akHWjY I also hope she likes that video with speeding up the pictures at the end. I made this for her because I like her very very fast playing in the end and because she like to play rarities or the not so well known violinconcerto's like Meijer, Spohr, Barber, Elgar etc.

Perhaps she can react on this discussion or on my last entry or in her next blog. But that is her choice. I don't know why she should be offended when I put as reaction a video of the 150th of Ysaye. It was not my purpose to irritate her in some way. 150 years is a more normal ago to give a tribute to than a 134 birthday. Perhaps that was the reason why she removed that video and can we expect a video after 16 years for Schoenbergs 150 birthday?? Perhaps she can make a video of visiting the grave of Schoenberg and the Schoenberghouse and Schoenbergoffice in Vienna, Austria where he lived. She must know a lot more than we about SChoenberg, so we want to learn from her.

September 17, 2008 at 06:56 AM · Dude, you're alright. And I wouldn't even have seen the happy b-day video if not for you.

September 17, 2008 at 12:24 PM · bram, i don't think people question your sincerity or even care about the sequence of events. you look alright to jim but probably not to many. you don't look alright; you look creepy in that skit.

now, since you treasure hilary's artisty that much, why would you project that image of poor taste to her for the world to see? that you can spoof on her?

i don't understand. don't be stupid.

September 17, 2008 at 12:58 PM · I miss the opinion of Hilary Hahn in this discussion. It is a pity that she retrieved her most funniest home video's. They were better than mine and if you do not like mine rate it with 1 star.

September 17, 2008 at 01:25 PM · bram, even on a nude beach there are things you may not want to do.

liberty of free self expression is a great thing, as long as we know how to right a wrong and tell them apart. the former is about intelligence, the latter, mental state.

for the moment, enjoy your grandeur.

ps..i reserve 1 star to something of some quality.

September 17, 2008 at 08:39 PM · You really should take the video off, it's freakin creepy............

September 17, 2008 at 08:46 PM · "you look alright to jim but probably not to many. you don't look alright; you look creepy in that skit. "

The only video I saw was Hilary's singing happy b-day one. Point me to Bram's "creepy" one.

September 17, 2008 at 09:18 PM · Jim, this my Marilyn Moroe version

Ysaye 150 singing in the last entry of my blog about the 150 B-day of Ysaye Bram the blog man.com, not so popular as Hilary's version. Although she did not get critcs for no clear reason she withdraw her version. (perhaps 134 years for Schoenberg is a lesser good reason for singing on Youtube than 150 years for Ysyaye and she realised that after my OTHER Ysyae videoreply

Ysaye 150years violincelebration ??) I think I only will withdraw my version if Hilary Hahn will place back her 134 version for Schoenberg or if she made a remark in this discussion about that I stole her idea. (+ drunk something to imitate Marilyn Monroe better, because Marilyn was also drunk.) Perhaps Hilary has to make 2 versions: 1 singing happy b-day + playing something on her violin of Schoenberg. 2. drink 4 or 5 glasses wine and than doing the same singing and violin playing, so we can see the difference in her singing and playing with or without alcohol.

For me there is not so much difference. I sing bad and I play violin bad with or without alcohol.

Jim, what do you think of the 2 woman Hilary Hahn and Janine Jansen if you compare them?

Here my video of Hahn pying 3th mvt of violinconcerto of Barber

Hilary plays vc Barber 3th mvt

September 17, 2008 at 09:27 PM · It's only 1/10 as creepy as what you see at a frat house. Although it's not usually televised.

What do I think of Hilary vs. Janine, woman-wise? I'd have to see Janine do the Marilyn thing to really form that opinion. I'm pretty impressed by Hilary's.

September 17, 2008 at 10:04 PM · Paul, I believe you are a high school student/college, correct? So am I. A freshman in high school, actually. However, I know that a certain amount of respect is needed for this forum.

I think you should act a bit more grown up, and rethink the phrasing of your posts. "freakin' creepy" is not a very mature way of describing something that could be described as, let's say, "quite uncomfortable". Maybe you could could try to act a bit more mature and less offensive on this site? Just one little guy's opinion.

Cheers, with a bucket of prunes,

Brian

September 17, 2008 at 10:52 PM · freakin creepy? This is inappropriate ? have you seen the video brian? HAHA

are you the one that changed "toilet paper" to "bathroom tissue"? "false teeth" to "dental appliances"? "partly cloudy" to "partly sunny"? "constipation" to "occasional irregularity"?

lets praise simple honost direct language, shall we?

September 17, 2008 at 11:05 PM · Hey, I am an advocate for more precise mature language. Lol...maybe I overreacted. But Paul didn't seem to have a shortage of insults for Bram.

I did see the video, actually, but I think i would use a different term than "freakin' creepy".

However,Mr. Kurnagov, I am sorry I offended you and I will refrain from making posts like that again.

September 17, 2008 at 11:24 PM · Mr heemskerk or whatever,

I dont think you should be calling Hilary out on that stuff and saying "well maybe she should get drunk and we'll see how she does" and that type of stuff.

I'm sure she's paid no attention to this as she doesnt have the time. People like her dont have time to sit at home and get drunk and make messed up videos.

And wow...5 glasses of wine...

Happy drinking!

September 17, 2008 at 11:31 PM · Oh, come on! What I said wasn't innapropriate, if your a freshman in high school, and you think what I said was disrespectful, you must live a pretty sheltered life (i'm not insulting you at all)

But ya... If i was trying to insult him, we all would have known it... I'm VERY opinionated when I want to be! Haha...

September 17, 2008 at 11:34 PM · We all are, Paul. I can easily say my life is not sheltered at all. I havea very big social life...I guess I'm just too much into appearing respectable. I'll take a page from your book and try to express my opinions more.

September 18, 2008 at 01:00 AM · Prune-nus Magnus Et Al.

Have a nice day. ;^)

September 18, 2008 at 01:16 AM · LOL

September 18, 2008 at 03:30 PM · We're talking about the Youtube Youniverse, people. It's not PBS.

September 18, 2008 at 05:55 PM · BTW did anyone come up with some good Schoenburger ideas? It's nearly lunchtime here in California...

September 18, 2008 at 07:19 PM · Yes Laurie! One Schoenberger coming right up!

1) Something my pay check gives me little of...Bread!

2) Something I wish I could aford... Meat!

3) I down loaded sheet music and a song by Shoenberg and the symphony had a "Fat" sound so... Avacado!

4) Speaking of Fat, people tell me I should get into shape. Round is a shape and I'm in it!... Bacon!

5) I attempt to play the violin of the same piece!..onions!

6) Crying not because of great playing but because I was... Cheese!

7) I listen more and try the 2nd movement. What ingredient would you have if you where hearing it?... Tomato!

8) Having to endure another hour of my finess.."Lettuce" Pray!

9) And finally, after the cheese and bread kick in (Whoops, very little bread..got to watch the carbs!)...Prunes!

September 18, 2008 at 09:04 PM · Lol, Royce. I would like that burger. Comke tot hink of it....I would actually like to make that. I can go to Five Guys and get eveerythign ecept the avocado. Lol....sounds tasty.

September 18, 2008 at 10:32 PM · Why Thank you Brian!

Would you like onion rings with that?

I felt like submitting this one for the contest, and then again with what's all gone on lately...maybe not.

October 4, 2008 at 03:28 PM · BTW, congratulations to Hilary for the Gramophone Artist of the Year Award! :)

October 5, 2008 at 01:30 AM · I love watching those videos!

October 10, 2008 at 10:49 AM · The HAPPY BIRTDAY MR SCHOENBERG VIDEO is back since one day:

HAPPY BIRTDAY MR SCHOENBERG VIDEO

on

the Hilary Hahn site

On Arte I saw her playing Glazunov violinconcerto. Here

her 3th movement Barber

Perhaps soon we will see the 134 candle video again?

October 10, 2008 at 02:33 PM · This girl sings an atonal happy birtday for Schoenberg:

Re: Schoenberg Bday, blowing out the candles

Re: Schoenberg Bday, blowing out the candles

October 13, 2008 at 03:35 PM · I take great pride in the fact that the tennis-question answer video Hilary put up is the fifth most-watched of those top videos! :)

October 15, 2008 at 10:51 PM · Oops, I guess I cursed myself--It's sixth now! :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe