Andrea Bang Violins,

September 9, 2008 at 03:39 PM · Well a few months ago when I bought my first Andrea Bang rosin, the Paganini for solo violin, I waw amazed at the sound it changed. I highly reccomend it.

But to the topic- When I bought the rosin, it came with a paper in the box, leading me to his website(www.cremonainseoul.com), and I was amazed at the science behind all the techniques developed.

Has anyone played, rented, or owned one of his violins? And if so, How much was it? I'm trying to rent one for a month or two to see the sound and quality to decide before buying, but i've gotten no reply thru email.

Here's the link-http://www.cremonainseoul.com/instruments/sale.html

Thanks.

Replies (100)

September 11, 2008 at 12:40 AM · Rumours I heard indicate he does not actually make his own violins, someone else does. I'm curious to know the facts.

September 11, 2008 at 01:43 AM · Yes, they state that fact. He does not make them. He orders the finest wooden instruments available, and varnishes them, and does all the set up.

The varnish is what makes the violins. The theory is that the varnish is the only thing that made Stradivari and Gauneri instruments so good.

It has been prooven that varnish is 70 percent of a violins sound. This is all on his website.

He dismantled four master instruments, and analyzed the varnishes through thousands of trial and error and testing on over 800 instruments, and now the instruments have sound quality of, or better than the old master instruments because the cells in the wood are deteriorating.

September 11, 2008 at 03:27 AM · If the varnish were 70% of the sound, then why do all the old Strads with so much of the varnish worn off, or replaced over the years, still sound so good?

I suspect the skill of the maker might have something to do with it, along with arching, graduation, choice of material, and ground.

September 11, 2008 at 04:01 AM · If 70% of sound is the varnish-then we could've been getting new Strads via Sears-Roebuck 100 years ior so ago...

September 11, 2008 at 10:29 AM · I have dozens of junk violins at the back of my store. Perhaps I should strip the varnish and send them to Mr Bang. Persumably they would all sound better than a strad. A load of nonsense.

"It has been proven that vernish is 70% of a violins sound".

What utter nonsense! Why bother to peddle such rubbish- UNLESS.......

September 11, 2008 at 03:00 PM · I'm just repeating what's on his site!

It's a well known fact that the strads at the end of his period were the best. That is when he started varnishing the inside and outside. When the varnish penetrates the wood, it becomes stronger and better.

The reason his violins can sound better than strads sometimes is because the wood cells of the old cremonese masterpieces are deteorating because of age.

Bang varnishes the inside 1 or 2 times, and the outside, 6 or 7 I believe. By varnishing the inside it makes projection better, and sound resilliance. This man spent 45 years to get where he did and I think that could speak something for the sound qaulity of the instruments.

His violins, and the old cremonese masterpieces are the only in the world with the pockmarks from the natural varnish.

And yes, he proved that 70% is varnish, and 30% is the wood frame. He took two "white violins"(unvarnished) and they had the same qualities, one was done with modern varnish, the other with his natural varnish.They got the same set up, and the one with natural varnish was much better.This was repeated dozens of times.

And if some of the varnish is gone on the outside, that doesnt mean it didnt do it's job, The varnish blends into the wood cells.

Really, just visit his site!

September 11, 2008 at 04:03 PM · hehe,

paul, being a high school kid you have shown some hard core opinion which is a plus since this society has too many youth that cannot hold even one opinion.

having said that, please, please please consider that this site has many very experienced players and luthiers who have played and repaired and studied strads like you cannot imagine. doing a recitation in front of them is a high risk proposition. i do not think they will even bother to respond to you because of your level of expertise. there are just way too many holes in your statements or understanding.

i speculate to say this: most if not all of the best strad experts on this planet have not even heard of this mr bang bang until you mentioned it here. it is not arrogance but simply a non-issue.

if i offend you with this post, i apologize ahead of time because no malice is intended.

September 11, 2008 at 05:19 PM · Nah, none taken...

I'm just bored these past few days! I've been stuck in bed for three days and all I have to do is listen to music, homework and watch tv, and look on the computer.

Well.... I found his violins unique,and if they'll get back to me with an email, and price is decent, I think I might rent one for a while!

September 11, 2008 at 06:06 PM · I read on his site that he dismantled a Stradivari 1702, Guarneri del Gesu 1711, Amati 1659, Ruggeri 1732 to figure out the key to the varnish etc... That's millions of dollars worth of violins right there. I have a hard time believing someone dismantled these masterpieces for some experiment.

Also do you really experience that much of a difference from rosin? I'm tempted to try it out now, but I've tried a bunch of different rosins and to me it's just rosin.

September 11, 2008 at 06:21 PM · Oh no, I garuntee you will see a difference immediately. It makes double stops easier, and it produces much more sound, and has a brighter quality, and makes the tone a ton better. I promise it's worth the 25 dollars. I dont use any other rosin now, it's my favorite.

September 12, 2008 at 01:02 AM · Ha. I see now that all those years of training were wasted. Wow-magic rosin for solo or symphony playing. Don't you think there just might be a bit of hyperbole in the ads for that brand of rosin?

September 12, 2008 at 01:22 AM · Greetings,

well its certainly great rosin. But do you remeber Mr Bangs orignal claim that he reconstituted Tartinis original rosin from an old violin case. The fine print noted how many new ingredients he added, and the finally straw for romantically disiluusioned me was ot find out he doesn@t even make the stuff by hand.

Broken hearted,

Buri

September 12, 2008 at 04:06 AM · I just called the Andrea Bang company in Korea, and they said that the price of their violins is in the range of $30K - $50K, and that it is impossible to rent if one lives in the USA.

September 12, 2008 at 06:31 PM · Oh:(

That's not good...

September 12, 2008 at 10:15 PM · "During each varnish application, the sound is carefully checked to adjust the formula for the next layer"

I find no words to comment this!

I never seen a maker he varnish a Violin inside from outside through the F-holes - wow.

Michael

www.violin-cello.com

September 13, 2008 at 12:20 AM · WOW $30,00 - $50,000 for some reason I was thinking "well if they're under $1,000 I'll give one a go". I was WAY off...

I would love to hear from someone who has tried one of these instruments though. I'm now very curious, but not $50,000 curious.

September 13, 2008 at 12:31 AM · In $30-$50k range, I'd think a luthier wouldn't have to resort to such things to sell his work.....I'd hope.....

September 13, 2008 at 01:11 AM · I wish I could just rent one for a month and see what I think then consider extending the rental period... I wish they would let those in the u.s. rent one.....

September 13, 2008 at 02:11 AM · Why do the words Charlatan and entrepreneur

come to mind when thinking about Mr. Bang?

September 14, 2008 at 12:14 AM · Maybe you get "more Bang for the buck".

September 14, 2008 at 01:19 AM · or get a Bang out of varnish?

wow, $30,000 for a varnish application.

who is sniffing what?

move over Nagyvary!

September 14, 2008 at 04:58 AM · how the heck do you put varnish on the inside of a violin anyway?

well, i think its just an extreme exaggeration for the sake of advertisement. and even as an amateur violinist i know for a fact that the most important factors in determining the sound quality of the violin is all done before varnish application. if 70% of the sound is determined by varnish, i'd think that SOMEONE can do an advanced chemical analysis and easily reveal the secret to the composition of the varnish on strad and del gesu instruments and that these instruments could be anyone's birthday present.

so no, this gotta be some sort of joke.

September 14, 2008 at 05:32 AM · Well, the pictures look really nice, and although the website looks sketchily scammy, the rosin is purported to be good. Obviously I'm no David Burgess, but the pictures look REALLY nice. I'd at least want to try one.

And no, nobody's done an "advanced chemical analysis" of Stradivari's instruments, otherwise everybody would (or have been) be harping about it. Except for Nagyvary, of course. I never did find out what the verdict on that one was...

September 14, 2008 at 06:57 AM · Paul,

One question you may ask this gent is who plays his instruments that may have a recording, or that you may possibly hear some day? You could then ask the user how the violin compares to others they have used.

September 14, 2008 at 07:47 AM · Where he describes the tonal characters of them as feminine warm, feminine delicate, feminime mellow. That's a dead giveaway it's fake. Feminine crazy bitch I might believe.

September 14, 2008 at 11:09 AM · I have never seen a strad with a green neck.

(Only my face sometimes turns green when listening to some of my students after the holidays.)

September 14, 2008 at 12:06 PM · i see we still banging on the varnish issue...and hanging on the inside varnish impossibility.

no idea what the whole fuss is about, whether strad did such things, but if i set out varnishing the inside, to make my life a little easier, OBVIOUSLY i would varnish the inside BEFORE i glue the plates together. if i claim i have 2 layers of varnish inside, any guess what i might do?

see what wachy adverstising do to your brains? you guys have no glue!:)

September 14, 2008 at 02:35 PM · Damn Jim.

I LOL'd then and there.

September 14, 2008 at 05:48 PM · Here's an idea for varnishing the inside:

Use a spirit varnish, and put the violin and the varnish in a climate controlled space (autoclave?)

Cook the spirits out of teh varnish, and let it precipitate on all surfaces

Have any areas you don't want varnished (outside) covered with a non-temperature sensitive seal that can be removed by a thinner or solvent.

Use temperature and time to control how much is applied.

NOTE: This does not assume any colorant; you may need to use some other kind of misting procedure to use color in the varnish.

Then, once you have the inside varnished, all you have to deal with is the warpage issue from the heat and having one side of the wood absorb the varnish while the other side is stabilized! That should be fairly trivial relative to the other issues already faced...

September 14, 2008 at 06:10 PM · scam or not... those violins are gorgeous, and the website is really nice.... mr bang definitely is an entrepreneur!!!

September 14, 2008 at 08:24 PM · He doesnt use chemicals, it's a NATURAL varnish! That's the whole point behind his business. He varnishes the inside after the violin has been assembled, it's all on his website with pictures.

September 14, 2008 at 08:49 PM · I tried to watch the videos on his site but it says they're "data file" or something, and I couldnt view them... I was hoping it would show the violins, or someone playing so that we could get an idea of the violins sound.

September 14, 2008 at 08:49 PM · I tried to watch the videos on his site but it says they're "data file" or something, and I couldnt view them... I was hoping it would show the violins, or someone playing so that we could get an idea of the violins sound.

September 14, 2008 at 08:50 PM · It's his word against ours. He could easily say it's a "NATURAL" varnish, but just because a website states so doesn't mean it's true. Also, "NATURAL" (pardon the caps, just quoting), is relative. If I may make an analogy, look at all the "organic" foods sold in grocery stores. Are they made of only natures products? NO!! So, he could be telling the truth in a sleazy way.

True or not, I really don't want to invest 30-50k in a maker who doesn't even build his own violins. When I hear a sound clip, and I am impressed with it compared to a Strad, AND I know every bit of work that went into the violin so I know he's not cheating, then I will somewhat believe him. Until then, Paul, i would advise going to a well known shop and getting a violin you can count on, sound wise and investment wise.

September 14, 2008 at 10:18 PM · Paul G. wrote:

"This man spent 45 years to get where he did and I think that could speak something for the sound qaulity of the instruments."

Well, uh-hem....

There are numerous physics and chemistry PhD.s working on varnish analysis and acoustic properties of Strads. They may have 1000 years of combined experience, and so far, they have not come to the same conclusions as Mr. Bang.

There are also countless other violin makers with 45+ years of experience under their belt, who have reached conclusions not consistent with Bang's.

The violin expert world at large seems to be unaware that Strad started varnishing the inside of his instruments at a certain point.

The most comprehensive compilation of varnish research that I'm aware of will be published in the next Violin Society of America Journal, if anyone is interested.

Mr. Bang also sells a soundpost which "guarantees instantaneous responses from the instrument".

I thought there might be more to the response picture than just the soundpost material, but I could be wrong. :-)

September 14, 2008 at 09:41 PM · OK, this is a silly thread, but I'll get involved. I don't think you can buy a violin varnish ANYWHERE that isn't "natural". I doubt there's a professional maker on the face of the earth who isn't using a natural varnish. The choices of what you can make varnish out of almost entirely excludes non-natural sources, unless you're shopping the bottom shelves at Home Depot.

Whatever his varnish is, he does seem to have captured the badly-burned-stained endgrain effect on the top that violin makers everywhere strive to avoid.

The attribution of "gorgeous" and such other descriptives is, shall we say, problematic.

September 14, 2008 at 11:02 PM · I'd enjoy seeing a violin maker making great affordable instruments for the masses, and other violin makers even appreciating that as an artform in itself. Like the $100 laptop projects. Does something make that impossible? Maybe vsa could have some competition by price range? It's easier to produce something that will be priced at a small fortune.

September 14, 2008 at 10:34 PM · Well... Either way, I'm not buying one of his... If I could have rented one, I would, But I've sent 3 emails over the past 6 months with no reply, so screw 'em!

If i'm ever in Korea, then I'll try one, but the odds of me ever going there are pretty much 0, but you dont know where life takes you!

September 14, 2008 at 11:40 PM · David,

Lemme guess.......Considering the "Panel on 'f-holes'" of yore in the journal....this scholarly compilation will be titled- "PLEASE ladies and gents-cover your wood"

;>)

September 14, 2008 at 11:59 PM · Jim, violins for the masses already exist. Check Ebay, if that's what you need. As a friend of mine said, if you want oats straight from the field, they are available for a certain price; if you want them straight from the horse, they can be had for much less.

You are never going to get trained, skilled people to make you what you want for the price you've specified, because they're busy making good violins for people who are willing to pay a maker a living wage, and they don't want to starve making the violin you want, at the price you want. The people who will work for the money you're offering deliver quality appropriate to the skill and training such an income allows.

Really, though, the problem is that your comparison example isn't a good one. A $100 laptop isn't a $1000 one with a stripped down case. I bought a new laptop last week, and though I really wanted one of those new $350 "netbooks", the truth is that it simply won't do what I need it to do. The $100 one doesn't even come close. That doesn't strike me as any type of economic injustice--in fact it's economic justice: you get what you pay for.

I'd like Yo-Yo Ma to play for me at dinner every night, but I'm only willing to pay him $50. Do you think he'll come?

September 15, 2008 at 12:21 AM · For a one-time outlay of $5.98, Yo-yo will play at your dinner every night. He hopes you'll take him up on it ;)

The $100 laptop is a good comparison. I don't mean literally a $100 violin. Everybody knows a violin is more complicated to make than a laptop ;)

September 15, 2008 at 12:31 AM · i remember jeff bezos of amazon.com once patented an idea of selling the same book at different price to different people, that is, if you need the book the most, the earliest, you pay the most :)

with strads and alike, the high pricing is real because there are real buyers.

if someone promotes a violin tagged at 50k but no buyers, it means nothing except in asian countries where higher prices often connote better quality, thus you can fool some of the people a few times.

and i don't understand how violinists can look at pics of a violin on the internet and marvel that it looks good. eyes can't hear and you people are so vain:)

September 15, 2008 at 01:00 AM · That's price skimming, as in skimming the cream when an item is new and hot.

Or maybe he was charging for good service to make service a profit center. Dunno.

September 15, 2008 at 12:47 AM · Jim, we all know that the newer laptops are handmade with natural varnish and transistors engraved by hand, so don't even try that sales pitch on us.

And Al, of course I can tell what a violin sounds like just by looking at it. It's my new revolutionary product called "Eyes of Stradivarius." That's right, I dug up ol' Tony's tomb and backwards engineered his eyes. Buy them today for the all time low price of $1,000! If that's a problem, I will be accepting alternative forms of payment, such as a broken Strad or two lost violins.

September 15, 2008 at 01:09 AM · Microscopically engraved silicon chips, precisely attached to a circuit board of proven design and protected from the elements by lovingly applied conformal coating.

September 15, 2008 at 01:18 AM · Jim spake:

"For a one-time outlay of $5.98, Yo-yo will play at your dinner every night. He hopes you'll take him up on it ;)"

That's a good line. I think I'll use it the next time yet another whining, self-entitled musician complains about Strads being in the hands of rich people and musicians.

September 15, 2008 at 01:23 AM · I cant believe how much you guys go off topic and fight, but it's entertaining... So no comment:)

September 15, 2008 at 02:03 AM · lol. Now if we could get the cars into the hands of people who can drive.

September 15, 2008 at 02:16 AM · We're not fighting. If we were fighting, there'd be blood. This is just teasing.

September 15, 2008 at 03:12 AM · Oh shut up:P

September 15, 2008 at 03:17 AM · Jim:

Make an effort to go to town sometime !

Not oft--just occasionally !

September 15, 2008 at 03:40 AM · Well I'm one of the fools who just bought his magic soloist rosin that costs about four times as much as any other rosin, out of nothing but marketing and sheer curiosity. If it works for him whatever... everyone has to make a living...

September 15, 2008 at 03:34 AM · "You are never going to get trained, skilled people to make you what you want for the price you've specified, because they're busy making good violins for people who are willing to pay a maker a living wage, and they don't want to starve making the violin you want, at the price you want. The people who will work for the money you're offering deliver quality appropriate to the skill and training such an income allows."

i must admit i dont know much about violin building and selling but when it comes to guitars , i feel that i`d have to chime in.

being luthier is like being a musician... anyone can claim to be one with or without formal training.

you can go to prestigious music schools and still end up a mediocre musician.

so when it comes to making instruments, the same holds true, you can pay 8000$ for a guitar that just doesn`t hold up to a mass produced 500$ guitar.

when it comes to instruments (at least guitars), i feel you don`t always get what you pay for.

Master luthiers are sometimes even inconsistent (again when it comes to guitars). I remember being at a guitar convention where luthiers were complaining about similar mass produced instruments being sold for 600$.

granted these 600$ aren`t top of the line, but they`re excellent, good enough to perform and even record with. Now these luthiers are offering 6000$ instruments... 6x the price but most certainly not 6 times the quality... sometimes the massproduced instrument was even better..

i d be curious to know if the violin market is similar..

September 15, 2008 at 03:49 AM · "I'd be curious to know if the violin market is similar"

Short answer... No

September 15, 2008 at 04:04 AM · How come everything in the world except good violins can be mass produced? That's the question before us, ladies and gentlemens. Go to town find out how come, Joe.

September 15, 2008 at 03:54 AM · the world is inundated w/lecherous beasts

from hell in the violin world and all worlds..

if you wish to make a major decision as to the choice of a particular violin,then invite someone who is familiar with all the corruption

involved----more so in the violin world,as compared to the guitar world.

sure,its a journey-but try to have someone assist you in negotiating your path.....

September 15, 2008 at 04:03 AM · So Heifetz was an example of mass production art, then? And all of the stuff in museums? And novels? Interrrrresting. . .

September 15, 2008 at 04:17 AM · I should have limited it to just every other musical instrument, to exclude things like Heifetz and novels.

September 15, 2008 at 04:12 AM · Jim:

maybe you should voyage to town

once or twice per annum.

take a metronome to measure the beat of your inadequate site pages into a realm of which you are clearly deficient..

ride your motorcycle and take your violin w/you----------ohhhhh i forgot,you don't even play a violin !!!! at least not now !

your mandate seems to be the obliteration of "normal" thought progression,through your insidious,inane postings to this site.

jim,you are not normal--you are the perfect example of an aberration !!!

September 15, 2008 at 04:35 AM · I think I have part of an answer for the question below:

How come everything in the world except good violins can be mass produced? That's the question before us, ladies and gentlemens.

The answer is that mass production is always, and that is 100% always, defining the difference between the best way that something can be made, and the allowable trade-offs for a production process. Since the violin (and other instruments) are valued on the sound they produce, part of that trade-off is the output sound. (it could also be endurance, etc.). So, you may be able to get a certain percentage of the sound quality (how do you measure the percentage of a subjective quality, eh?), but the next percentages are of significant value to the more advanced musicians, and their astute audiences (not all audiences are astute, however).

So, the next percent past the mass production capability is significantly more expensive that the percentage just before it, but most serious musicians do not mind paying for that difference. That, in a nutshell, is what separates the student, intermediate, advancing, and performance instruments.

OK, I'll go back to being silly in my posts now.....

September 15, 2008 at 04:52 AM · "mass production is always, and that is 100% always, defining the difference between the best way that something can be made, and the allowable trade-offs for a production process."

That's not exactly true. Electronic devices are less reliable if hand assembled, for example. In woodworking, mass production techniques give you more precise cuts than you get by hand.

Joe, you hatin' on me? I can't tell.

September 15, 2008 at 05:20 AM · Dennis,

I think you'd better double check your math. I do get your point however.

September 15, 2008 at 07:09 AM · Jim--Because the violin is the only instrument with a piece of the soul of the maker in it, and [mostly--I can name names] no one wants to play on a violin with a piece of the soul of a machine in it?

September 15, 2008 at 10:16 AM · When people say souls, I look for the collection plate. Present company excluded. I don't know if machines have souls, but if they do, they're mostly good ones that go to Heaven.

September 15, 2008 at 09:12 AM · I have a violin with the soul of a machine in it....and it's rather loud, shrill, and screechy, when its not clanking or otherwise breaking down. Needless to say, I'm looking for one with a more humane soul.

September 15, 2008 at 11:48 AM · Yes, Jim, unfortunately the concept that you're more than a bag of meat has been seized on by charlatans, but that doesn't change the value of the basic concept.

September 15, 2008 at 12:17 PM · Micheal, You really saw no differene in your rosin? Ya, it costs more, but lasts a lot longer too. You dont use as much because it takes less to get the sound you need....

God I sound like one of there stupid managers promoting their stuff or something.

September 15, 2008 at 01:28 PM · paul, i think the point is rosin is rosin, strad is strad and is mr bang your uncle? :)

September 15, 2008 at 02:58 PM · Jim,

True, in woodworking the cuts are more precise, however the selection component of the process must be more limited. Forming every piece of wood exactly the same can not result in the best cut for every individual piece of wood; each is unique and has capability and limits.

For electronics, I grant that you are accurate, however for affordable mass production, there are constraints (cost of components, etc.). That is why so many computers have shared memory for graphics, instead of dedicated graphics RAM designed for better video refresh. The Intel chipset is less expensive than NVIDIA.

September 15, 2008 at 03:27 PM · BTW, I tried some of that rosin, and as far as I could tell, it tastes the same as the sfuff I use now...a bit crunchier, maybe.

September 15, 2008 at 06:14 PM · "... however for affordable mass production"

There's no "for affordable mass production" there. What's happening in your example is they're meeting a price point. Mass production lets that price point be lower than it otherwise would be.

September 15, 2008 at 06:16 PM · The best high end electronics - as in pro audio - are always hand built and usually with direct wiring instead of circuit boards. These are built to last a lifetime.

The electronics in the space shuttle are very likely put together carefully by hand. No short cuts or cost cutting.

Great furniture and cabinets are hand built as are violins.

Both violins and pro audio circuits need more than high quality construction in order to be great and of these two, the violin has more individual variables and artistic decisions to be made.

September 15, 2008 at 07:45 PM · High-end electronics are machine-made by necessity. Just assembling a modern circuit board, for example, humans can't make those tiny solder joints. Google up solder wave machines. And the components are machine-made, the circuit is machine-designed, the board traces are machine-routed, and so on. And then when it's finished, it becomes part of another machine :)

P.S., the point to point hand-wiring you mention is only possible on relatively simple things. It's not inherently better than using a circuit board, but it helps if you can call it hand-wired. It's psychological, not electronic.

September 15, 2008 at 08:12 PM · Mass production doesn't generally combine with top quality boutique instruments or audio gear.

The complexity of circuit and number of parts doesn't necessarily equate with quality of sound.

For any sound device or musical instrument the designer must be able to hear as opposed to merely measuring

September 16, 2008 at 04:22 AM · I think this one's dead, folks.

September 16, 2008 at 04:33 AM · Not by a long shot.

When will we start mass producing humans? More importantly, when will we start mass producing the most important human....ME!

But seriously, how hard can it be to make a human with a machine.

September 16, 2008 at 04:52 AM · Charles,

You asking about making a working model, or a non-animated prototype?

I ask, because the last part, giving the body the jump-start, is the real trick that machines haven't mastered yet.

September 16, 2008 at 04:57 AM · will come soon---hopefully not.

September 16, 2008 at 12:21 PM · I agree with David... You guys argue about the stupidest stuff!

September 16, 2008 at 01:19 PM · Look, as long as violins are made of natural materials there will be difference in those materials lending randomity to the instrument. This randomity requires a human touch to bring the instrument to the optimal response. Now, with something like carbon fiber most if not all of that randomity can be removed which, of course, merely puts the emphasis on the design phase. That is a work in progress.

September 16, 2008 at 08:12 PM · I don't know how much a violin maker really needs to change the plan in order to compensate for variations in wood. One thing I read a long time ago, is a top is thicker if the wood is softer, and vice-versa. But I've read here that the arching seems to be the main contributor to the sound, a conclusion due in part it seems to 'accidental experiments' where people alter the thicknesses of good violins to suit them and don't kill the violin. If a violin maker keeps the arching the same when the characteristics of the wood change, maybe there's actually no need to compensate for materials to make a good violin. Just putting 2 and 2 together here. And possibly compensations he does make give him something he prefers himself, but not something that's truly better in a general sense.

September 16, 2008 at 08:38 PM · I dunno Jim, it seems to me if it were that simple we'd all have good violins that were made by the one maker using CNC processes; or, maybe it is the varnish!

September 16, 2008 at 09:06 PM · Well, you know the listening tests show listeners can't tell the difference between Strads and moderns. Next comes can you hear the difference between moderns and truly moderns :))

September 17, 2008 at 01:24 AM · FWIW I just got the Andrea Bang rosin for soloist violinists and I gotta say it's damn good rosin. My violin definitely responds quicker and it's easier for me to pull a nicer cleaner tone. Scouts honor, it's a better rosin than the goldflex I was using. To be honest I'm a bit shocked with the difference just from rosin, I've tried so many different rosins without much of a difference at all until now.

If his varnish is as good as his rosin maybe it's worth $50,000 who knows. The guy is obviously not a total con-artist.

September 17, 2008 at 02:16 AM · Told ya!

September 17, 2008 at 05:48 PM · I was certainly put off by the initial Andrea Bang (Cremona in Seoul) advertising for Tartini rosins, and did not respond to an offer to purchase 5 cakes for $60, shipped from Korea, before it was sold in this country. Clearly much of the advertising was hype: how could one account for the vaporization loss of some rosin components that would occur in 200+ years.

But immediately after the rosins became available in the US, my first cake of cello Tartini rosin solved bow problems I had (even with Liebenzeller brands, which for me were the best rosins up to that time) after about an hour of playing. So I have never looked back and now use Tartini/Andrea rosins on all my instruments, cello, violin, and viola. As far as I am concerned, my ability to get a sound "to die for" is largely the result of using these rosins.

The only problem, if it is a problem, is that the rosins will tend to cake on the strings, so I clean my strings with a cotton cloth or microfiber every time as I put an instrument away. I also sometimes use a nylon "scrubbie" to do a more thorough job, and I clean my strings with alcohol every few weeks (especially cello, which has deeper grooves between windings) to be sure to remove rosin that could be wedged between the windings and affect the vibrations (and resonance). The Tartini/Andrea rosins do not flake on to the instrument in any appreciable amount.

Andy

September 18, 2008 at 03:17 AM · Some big claims to make! He sure knows how to market the goods!!! soundpost's and accesories lol

September 18, 2008 at 05:38 AM · Well, I do not know the price/value of his rosin. But the leap from rosin to a strad-sounding violin is intergalactic. When I read a legitimate endorsement for the violin from a renowned player, perhaps I may take notice.

FWIW, excess rosin on strings can be very easily removed by a wine cork.

September 18, 2008 at 06:22 PM · Deleted post

September 18, 2008 at 06:40 PM · Magnus,

That was nice while it lasted!

September 18, 2008 at 06:51 PM · I saw it too, but have nowhere close to the expertise.

September 18, 2008 at 07:46 PM · Magnus, please undelete post.

September 19, 2008 at 05:46 PM · I also must say despite the sometimes laughable accompanying text on the wrappings of his rosins, both Tartini and Andrea - that they are terrific rosins. I use them, as well as Melos (recommended by Simon Fischer). I wouldn't dream of implying his violins would somehow be of similar quality, however.

September 19, 2008 at 09:12 PM · To those who have bought Mr. Bang's rosin: I am very interested in buying one of his rosins. I found out that they are also sold on the Johnson Strings website but I'm not sure which brand to purchase...which one would you recommend? (for violin). Thanks.

September 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM · The "paganini"... It's for solo violin and the best

September 20, 2008 at 01:26 AM · I agree; the Vitali rosin is a bit brighter tasting, with a hint of cherry and aftertase of pine resin, but the Paganini is full flavored, with a lingering flavor of fruit and cinnamon, and a nice finish.

Of course, I have not tried them on the bow, yet.

September 20, 2008 at 01:30 AM · You licked your rosin?..... I'm hoping your kidding....

The Vitali is a duller sound, Pagaini is brighter and full.

September 20, 2008 at 05:04 AM · Thanks!! Im going to go ahead and order the Paganini one...cant wait to start using it!!

September 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM · Yeah, Paul! Rosin tastes absolutely spectacular! Shar brand rosin is like your fast food-tasty but not very filling or satisfying. However, rosins like the Paganini or my rosin (a rosin in a wood case etched with a picture of Paganini on the front for $30), are like filet mignon.

September 20, 2008 at 03:49 PM · I like the old stuff that has hints of shoe leather and tobacco. You can taste the age. None of this fruity/spicy stuff for me!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe