Josh-a-palooza

September 1, 2008 at 07:34 PM · Joshua Bell sent us five of his new CDs to give out, and I want YOU to win one ;)

So we're going to have a different silly question about Vivaldi and related stuff every day, answer it, and maybe I'll send you a CD! I'll tell you the answer and winner the following day.

Click here for today's question! (It's multiple choice, so if you don't know, you can guess!)

Replies (47)

September 1, 2008 at 09:17 PM · Are you accepting bribe money? How bout a Strad? Or would you prefer a Guarneri? :)

September 1, 2008 at 11:39 PM · sweet!

September 2, 2008 at 02:21 AM · Great idea but why is the competition restricted to residents of the USA and Canada when there are sure to be international members who would like to try their luck as well? :-(

September 2, 2008 at 09:34 AM · to save some cargo bucks?

Haj, a little sad, too

September 2, 2008 at 11:02 AM · Josh-a-palooza... I Love It! HA! :^D He's definitely one that I listen too the most! Ferras, Oistrahc, and Joshua and not neccessarily in that order either!

September 2, 2008 at 01:16 PM · Aww, that was sweet of Josh to do.

September 2, 2008 at 03:19 PM · This is pretty awesome, I must say.

So... are you planning on doing this sort of promotional thing with other violinists as well?

September 2, 2008 at 06:00 PM · Hi Everyone,

Congratulations to Vincent Sun of Charlottesville, Virginia, who yesterday correctly answered that "The Four Seasons" was first recorded in 1942.

Today's question is already up, so if you didn't win, try again!

The reason for just U.S. and Canada is to make sure we are following international laws regarding contests.

Yes, we'll do this for other artists who are interested!

Laurie :)

September 2, 2008 at 06:51 PM · This is so great! Thanks, Laurie, for turning it into a fun and educational contest instead of just a plain boring ol' drawing.

September 3, 2008 at 05:21 PM · Congratulations to Royce Faina of Laramie, Wyoming, who yesterday correctly answered that the barking dog is heard in the "Spring" movement of "The Four Seasons." If you are interested in more information about Vivaldi's depictions in the "Four Seasons," here's a link to Wikipedia's entry on this piece which is very descriptive.

The new question is up, if you want another chance to win the CD!

September 3, 2008 at 06:26 PM · Congratulations, Royce! Nice job!

September 4, 2008 at 06:05 PM · Congratulations to Anthony Chi of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, who correctly answered that Vivaldi's nickname was "il prete rosso," or, "the Red Priest." Sorry, you guys, it wasn't "Tony." ;) Vivaldi was the "Red Priest" because, well, he was a priest (who worked at a girls' orphanage), and his hair was red, though you wouldn't know it from the wig.

You still can win a CD! Just answer today's question to enter.

September 4, 2008 at 07:40 PM · It's wasn't Tony?! Darn! LOL.

September 4, 2008 at 07:54 PM · "Tony"...haha!

Laurie, just out of curiosity, how many entries are you getting per day?

September 4, 2008 at 08:47 PM · with my limited English, the thread's title was misleading to me, thought Josh had invented a new quickstep like ups n' downs stage dance. Some Googling, however, revealed this:

""The term “-a-palooza” is considered a neologism based on standardized Wiktionary criteria.

Neologisms are newly acknowledged terms. They typically have not been in circulation long enough or widely enough for their social status to be determined. Neologisms can be nonces, slang terms, or even illiteracies.

The citation of “-a-palooza” may be restricted to certain other contexts that have not been fully investigated, such as industry jargon or regional use. The term may not generally be understood even within those contexts.""

I'm beginning to understand.

Haj

PS...who did the first complete recording, in 1942? Please disclose, because my source (WETA 90.9FM author Jens F. Laursen) mentions Louis Kaufmann and the Winterthur Symph.Orch., re-issued on Naxos in 1947. Maybe that's the one?

September 5, 2008 at 06:22 PM · It's the last day of the CD contest, and so we have a new question up for you to answer!

Congratulations to today's winner, Lisa Grzanka of Los Angeles, who yesterday correctly answered that Vivaldi wrote more than 500 concertos.

Karin, so far the biggest day was Day 2, when we had 113 entrants, and on other days, 70-90. So you do have a chance! ;)

Hansjürgen, I meant to link to the information about the recordings, if you are interested in that history, here is more information about historic "Four Seasons" recordings!

September 5, 2008 at 09:56 PM · Fantastique!

Thanks!

Haj

September 5, 2008 at 10:02 PM · I got them all right :( Except 4th one I was busy being diagnosed -.-

TIME TO TRY WIN 5TH!!!

September 6, 2008 at 11:41 AM · Guys, guys, the contest is rigged. Zakhar Bron is on the jury.

September 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM · Thank You Mr. Hong! And everyone! Thank You Maestro Bell for your genorosity, and to Maestra Niles for yours as well!

Before this entry I personaly thanked Joshua and Laurie (email too Laurie) but wanted to share it with this fiddl'n family we lovingly refer to us as v.commers.

September 6, 2008 at 08:25 PM · You have missed an opportunity to add several trivia questions about Vivaldi, namely:

What is the name of Vivaldi's cycle of violin concertos he wrote for the planet Mars? (Answer: The Three Seasons)

What is the name of Vivaldi's cycle of violin concertos he wrote for the Vienna Supreme Court? (Answer: The Lawsuit Between Harmony and Invention)

Who was Vivaldi's favorite composer? (Answer: John Cage)

What is the concerto that Vivaldi was the least proud of composing? (Answer: Concerto for Washboard and String Orchestra)

As a young violin student, what was the first concerto that Vivaldi ever studied? (Answer: Accolay)

What was the relationship between Vivaldi and the Baroque Era? (Answer: They were just good friends)

What was Vivaldi's favorite food? (Answer: Prunes)

Cheers,

:) Sandy

September 6, 2008 at 08:45 PM · Of course! *smacks head* Prunes! That's why he was such a great composer! a little anal retention never hurt anybody, though.

September 6, 2008 at 08:47 PM · who won it on friday?

September 6, 2008 at 09:47 PM · If Vivaldi lived in Wyoming what would he have named it? Here it's either;

a)Summer, Winter, Winter, And more Winter.

b) Fall, Winter, Winter and Winter.

Summer is our favorite weekend of the year, with Spring the day before.

September 7, 2008 at 11:57 PM · What if they were 12 seasons or he lived in a country with 2 seasons???

How different would some parts of music be...

September 8, 2008 at 12:44 AM · so who did win friday?

September 8, 2008 at 03:37 AM · My guess is it wasn't you or me.

September 8, 2008 at 04:59 PM · Hey you guys, I'm sorry to be late announcing the Friday winner.

Congratulations to Elizabeth Reed Smith of Huntington, West Virginia, who answered correctly that Vivaldi lived in Venice. Actually, pretty much everyone got that right!

We will be doing more of these; probably in the next few weeks we'll feature Rachel Barton Pine's new release of the Beethoven and Clement concertos. Yay!

Dmitri, actually last night I was playing in a concert where Martin Chalifour was playing "Summer" from both the Vivaldi and Piazzolla "Four Seasons." Piazzolla is of course from Buenos Aires, in the Southern Hemisphere; thus he quotes from Vivaldi's "Winter" in his "Summer." ! Pretty cool, I loved the piece.

September 8, 2008 at 05:52 PM · That is SO cool, quoting Vivaldi's "Winter" for a piece celebrating summer in the Southern Hemisphere! I'll have to check out the Piazzolla.

Thanks for a fun contest, Laurie!

September 8, 2008 at 09:11 PM · "The reason for just U.S. and Canada is to make sure we are following international laws regarding contests."

Pl. check it out with IOC Bejing or the President or Billy Gates so we representing the rest of the globalized world have a tiny chance of getting firsthand Rachel Barton Pine's Clementi van Beethoven. So you see I'm jealous, plus asking myself, where's the problem?.

Haj

September 10, 2008 at 07:50 PM · I've offered albums to violinist.com for giveaway but there has been little interest in my free offerings...maybe the violinist.com rulers are not fans of Naxos?

September 10, 2008 at 08:31 PM · Naxos is underrated. There are so many gems in their albums that you cant find in other labels. They also record great pieces performed by lesser known artists, and I end up preferring those recordings to, let's say, Bell or Perlman. I love that label.

If they refuse to give your CDs away you can always send them to me :D. Haha.

September 10, 2008 at 09:41 PM · What's your mailing address? I'll buy them from you. I'm game for something new. You can get my address on my profile, or email me.

September 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM · @Jonathan

"maybe the violinist.com rulers are not fans of Naxos?"

I guess they must be neutral.

Haj

September 11, 2008 at 12:19 AM · I love Naxos! I was listening on the radio one day and heard this beautiful piece by Schubert, but was played on viola and piano, I searched it for a so long then, I emailed the radio station to where I can get the CD, and they told me it was made by Naxos. I ordered it right away, it's a Primrose Viola Transcriptions by Robert Diaz and Robert Koenig, violist and pianist respectively. Also the beautiful Butterfly Lovers concerto also produced by Naxos. Great work and must be great company.

September 11, 2008 at 12:55 AM · Greetings,

they are a great company. The same Japanese violnist (forgot the name) has reocrdedthe Butterfly cocnerto five or six times for them. Could it be because she is married to the owner....?

;)

Cheers,

Buri

September 11, 2008 at 02:16 AM · let us NOT try to demean those who

provide bits of passion to a love affair w/music.

aka Laurie..........

September 11, 2008 at 02:43 AM · your comment is meaningless on a number of number of levels. It is perfectly obvious this was why the violnist in question had the opportunity to record on the same label so many times. Those of us who actually have some contact in the profession here are well aware of this. It is a statement of fact that serves to bring to light an aspect of the recording industry that might well be worth further comment, although not yours.

In choosing to try to patronize me you are in fact demeaning me, which makes you what?

Possibly a hypocrite.

September 11, 2008 at 03:04 AM · was'nt talking about you Buri

was talking about PREVIOUS POSTERS !!!

September 11, 2008 at 03:05 AM · you OWE me one for that remark !!!!!

you do have your good points though !!!

September 11, 2008 at 03:29 AM · Watch him, Joe. He's crazy but he's not stupid!

September 11, 2008 at 03:35 AM · Jim:

Burrow deeper into your cave

you may find some breathable air [not likely].

September 11, 2008 at 09:57 AM · Joe-a-palooza ??

Haj-a-previous-poster

September 11, 2008 at 10:00 AM · BTW..I'm a fan not so much of Bell's Josh but of Fischer.

Julia Fischer...incl. her 4Seasons DVD

Haj

September 12, 2008 at 05:00 AM · We are indeed planning to do some more CD giveaways: Rachel Barton Pine has offered us five autographed copies of her new recording of the Beethoven and Clement concertos, and so next week we'll have some more fun. :)

September 12, 2008 at 08:27 PM · Hi Royce,

I sent you the Godard Violin Concertos as well as the Beriot 2,3, & 5 today. I hope you enjoy the music as well as the attached history. Below are some links with more info about the series! 90% are world premiere recordings and are of great historic value!

The Series So Far

About the Series

September 12, 2008 at 08:52 PM · Thanks Eh!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe