Idiot on Youtube

August 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM ·

What a waste of a video.

Replies (20)

August 31, 2008 at 02:30 AM · .................what? who is that? what is the point of it? is she just looking for sympathy?

August 31, 2008 at 03:20 AM · If she is totally serious, she has missed the whole point of violin or any other persuit for that matter. It's a personal journey and if you can't enjoy the ride you will be very unhappy. I have learned there is not a finish line and there is always somebody better.

August 31, 2008 at 03:45 AM · It sounded like an "I posted a blog about the violin, with my playing on it--and everyone who posted comments HATED my playing WAAAAHHHH!", kind of vent.

1) Practice (more). Anything worth having, is worth striving for.

2) There's always a bigger fish

3) Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one-and on the internet, people have looser tongues/fewer inhabitions; and if you're posting your playing-be prepared to get hard/harsh critiques, and jerks commenting. Lesson here being "Get a thick(er) skin".

August 31, 2008 at 04:09 AM · First rate pity party. I'm sure we've all had bouts of those, but for heaven's sake don't post it on the internet!

August 31, 2008 at 04:23 AM · Yes, I saw this quite some time ago.

August 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM · "if you're posting your playing-be prepared to get hard/harsh critiques"

I thought that, musicians have to be able to accept criticism, but it's no reason to give up. If you're going to give up so easily, there's no point starting in the first place. Especially the violin, it's not the easiest of instruments to learn. Pathetic!

August 31, 2008 at 01:51 PM · Actually if you view all the comments on YouTube, the girl says the whole thing was an ironic joke.

August 31, 2008 at 03:04 PM · i just realized that. Gosh now I am the idiot.

August 31, 2008 at 04:30 PM · Even so, still stupid. It doesn't even make sense why you'd do that. Some people

August 31, 2008 at 10:11 PM · If you choose to learn to play the violin, at any age and under any circumstances, these are just a few of the things that you are likely to experience:

- An impossible example to compete with on the various recordings of the really great violinists.

- An audience comprised of a large percentage of people who would rather be somewhere else.

- A violin teacher who will pick apart every little tiny thing you're doing wrong and imply that it will take you about 10 hours a day for weeks or months to fix each one.

- Nasty criticisms from many of your peers.

- A lonely, difficult, and boring daily chore of endless practicing.

- Playing a particular piece of music repeatedly, so many times that you begin to hate it.

- An instrument (the violin) so fickle and so sensitive that it responds differently to different weather, refuses to stay in tune, and yet requires as much tender care as a newborn infant.

- The medical risks of tendonitis, other kinds of muscular and joint pain, lower back problems, eventual hearing loss (especially in your left ear), jaw problems, and others.

- Critics everywhere, who will take you to task for what you have chosen to play, the gaps in your technique, all of the mistakes you made, and the lack of emotion in your playing (or, conversely, your expression of the wrong kind of emotion for the piece).

Jascha Heifetz was quoted as saying that what it takes to play the violin are "the nerves of a bullfighter, the vitality of a night-club hostess, and the concentration of a Buddhist monk."

It's a pretty bleak and thankless task. However, if you can put up with all that and STILL want to play, then you ought to keep at it. If any of the above problems (or any others) are enough to discourage you from playing and and you decide to give it all up, then it wasn't meant for you to do anyway. And maybe that's not so terrible.

Sandy

August 31, 2008 at 09:16 PM · Talented Actress.

August 31, 2008 at 10:12 PM · 'nuff said.

Good job, Mr. Coleman.

September 1, 2008 at 04:50 AM · Man, some people have too much time on their hands...

September 1, 2008 at 04:56 AM · Don't you just envy them :P

September 1, 2008 at 08:15 AM · Sandy, and H. had it easy! Your list barely scratches the surface. It's intolerable from the inside and laughable from the outside.

September 1, 2008 at 10:58 AM · Having that much time on your hands to sit around all day and make stupid videos for youtube must be fun, but why can't she do something useful? There's another one;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yENp5XNVl2U

Have a look at that.

I think she'd some sort of wannabe comedienne. And failing miserably.

September 1, 2008 at 11:21 AM · Well, at least we know that she's acting in that one. May I say the first video was a little to......subtle?

Yes, I do think she is wasting her time, but people do what they want to do.

Ms. N, I really don't know why you're so angry. If you find it idiotic, than turn the movie off and don't watch it! I don't think it's necessary to make a whole thread to bash and criticize this person; that's already done enough on Youtube. Just relax, open a Coke, and go play the violin the way it's supposed to be played, which I'm sure you do very well. No sarcasm there.

September 1, 2008 at 11:33 AM · I'm not really that angry, just slightly irritated. But you're right, it's not anything to get worked up about!

Although, i have found a good video on there;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MJudbDc9uig

You may all have seen it before, but i find i can never watch it too many times!

September 2, 2008 at 08:55 AM · I thought the first one was pretty funny :P.

The second one was indeed in poor taste, though.

November 21, 2008 at 09:48 PM ·

Nice saying , sandy !

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe