Announcing new Accolay Masterclass DVD

August 26, 2008 at 03:57 PM · Please visit my new website:

http://violinexcursions.com

and check out the video sample of my new instructional DVD of the Accolay Concerto. I guide the student measure by measure through this popular concerto, showing how to shape the music, add color and drama, and develop your violinistic imagination. Learn how technical proficiency goes hand-in-hand with musical artistry and explore ways to make the most of the techniques you have worked to develop. Explore new practice strategies and new ways to add expression and vitality to your playing.

From the website you can click to order your copy directly from SHAR.

I’d be very happy to get feedback about this new product either here on violinist.com or through the website.

Thanks in advance.

Roy

Replies (20)

August 26, 2008 at 04:31 PM · This is an excellent DVD- Roy gets to the heart of the music demonstrating all technical aspects clearly but even more importantly, communicating an enthusiasm and passion for the music that is inspiring! I look forward to more of his DVD's with other pieces he has planned in the series- he has a natural ability to convey the meaning of the notes and makes learning this music a process of joy and wonder!

August 26, 2008 at 06:37 PM · Roy, your DVD got a nice write up in September's "The Strad", page 120. Congratulations!

What other pieces are in the works?

August 26, 2008 at 09:06 PM · I praised Roy's instructional Accolay DVD here some time ago.

I would also like to add that everything Roy teaches in this DVD can be extended to everything one plays.

A good job worthy of the commercial success I hope it gets. I look forward to the other DVDs he plans in this series.

Andy

August 26, 2008 at 09:51 PM · Congratulations on the release of your new DVD Roy and your association with Shar!

To anyone else interested, I have watched this DVD and found it very helpful and interesting. The details covered in this DVD can help players of all ages and levels. I found a lot of good technical and artistic advice given in this Accolay DVD to be also useful for learning other works of music as well. I highly recommend the DVD to any violinist.

August 26, 2008 at 11:36 PM · Congratulations Mr. Sonne---I just ordered your DVD from Shar and I can't wait to get here. You've been very helpful to almost everyone here at Violinist.com, your wisdoms had been an inspirational to all of us esp. to someone who's learning the mystery of the violins. More power to you! And from one of too many here that you've helped, many thank's!

August 27, 2008 at 04:27 AM · It looks interesting! I probably have more info on Accolay, including his violin method, he wrote quite a bit of music. Also please let me know where you got the portrait of Henri Vieuxtemps...it looks more like Reinecke...but the youtube sample is small...

August 27, 2008 at 04:39 AM · Roy,

Congratulations on the Strad review success! I am not surprised.

Your video is a wonderful demonstration of the thought, care and planning that go into a musician's performance. A melding of the technique and artistry that all should strive to achieve with every note and phrase, every movement, and every composition.

Bravo!

Drew

August 27, 2008 at 05:18 AM · Thank you for the very informative and inspiring demo samples,wow you give a lot away, can't wait for Monti's czardas and Meditation.

August 27, 2008 at 02:27 PM · Roy,

I wish you a well deserved success with your new instructional videos. I enjoyed watching the Accolay sample, and especially appreciate that you frame your suggestions so as to keep the student ever mindful that he is studying an art; hence the ultimate goal is beauty of expression.

Your teaching is a good moral force against the horrifying trend of teaching violin as a competitive sport.

August 27, 2008 at 11:32 PM · I enjoyed watching your video of the Accolay. I once got to hear 44 different renditions on cassette for an audition. It was anonymous, but I could still pick out my students because any mistake they made was the same as what happened in the lesson. Too bad they didn't have your DVD (video back then...)!

Seriously, though, I enjoyed your approach and think the DVDs will be of great benefit.

August 28, 2008 at 03:59 PM · A million thanks, to all you folks for your wonderful comments. Thanks especially, Drew, Andy, Nate, Ron, Ollie, for your very generous endorsements.

Jon: I’d be very interested in anything you can add to my meager knowledge of Mr. Accolay, if he ever really existed. I can’t remember where the Vieuxtemps portrait comes from. I’ve had it kicking around on my hard drive for a long time.

Elinor: When you get your DVD, I’d love to hear from you, either here on V.com or privately, about what you found useful and what you would have wanted to change or include.

Anne: Probably the next one will be on the Vivaldi A Minor Concerto. Then Viotti #23, Mozart #3, Czardas, Meditation from Thais, and one on Eine Kleine Nachtmusik which will focus on orchestral techniques and playing style.

Ron: I just saw the listing in the Shar catalog for your DVD on posture and balance. Please tell us more!

August 28, 2008 at 04:49 PM · roy, my kid saw your intro video and her only question is how you play violin with a beard...

by the way, you come across very affable, the violin version of the pbs painting guy:) with a simple one-man set-up, it has a very "live" feel.

in your other videos, as you go through each piece, is that you are by yourself and you go over phrase after phrase while discussing the possibilites and varieties?

really appreciate the emphasis on the different voices from the violin and the player.

thanks.

August 28, 2008 at 06:24 PM · For my interest can you email me your portrait when you have a moment? Thanks!

August 28, 2008 at 06:31 PM · I'm getting the impression you think this painting is a forgery :)

I like the intro tape too. Accessible, encouraging, friendly, systematic, useful.

September 9, 2008 at 02:19 AM · Mr. Sonne--this DVD is what I've been looking for, for a long time. Thank you for doing this. I like the way you break it all down the phases and explaining it why it should play that way. Also, the mini story telling really help a lot to create a certain tone and body to the music. Everything you put in there are all extremely helpful. Wow, you are right, You are an Educator. You hit it right on the spot. I can't wait for the next one, though for the meantime, I have to get goin on studying this piece, that, by the way is so pretty. A lot of challenges, but since you break it down to me, I can understand it better. A friend who watch the dvd with me who's a cellist mentioned that it would be nice if you play the whole piece after, like, this is the whole piece, after building it brick by brick..Congratulations! The best is yet to come, and I am waiting...Great job!

September 9, 2008 at 02:26 AM · Hello Elinor,

Many thanks for your very generous comments about the Accolay DVD. It really makes it all worth while, knowing you are actually helping somebody.

As you continue through your study of this concerto, I'd be happy to correspond with you, either here on violinist.com or else at my private e-mail address: roysonne@aol.com

Very best wishes for your violinistic journey.

Roy Sonne

September 9, 2008 at 05:30 AM · i think we need more products like this from a variety of artists, and it s great that roy did something about it. Whether you agree or not with his artistic advice (and I do agree), it`s just very important as musicians and human beings to learn as much as possible and to get as many opinions as possible (again whether wrong or right); it helps to reinforce our own individuality.

i watched the whole video, as he stresses, it doesn`t replace a teacher but it definitely complements one.

One thing i particularly liked (coming from a tempered instrument background) was the issue of expressive intonation on leading tones.

as a beginning instructional dvd producer, my dream would be to make a dvd with alexander markov and have him explain his approach to the paganini caprices, or have hilary hahn talk about bach, etc... what a treasure this would be to aspiring clasical violinists... but probably to risky from a business point of view , and when it comes to names signed to major labels, there`s often a lot of red tape.. oh well!

btw when i was touring in japan, i saw a series of instructional DVDs on the 24 caprices by a japenese violinist... i dont remember the name and i regret not buying it; even if it turned out to be bad, i would `ve loved to see how it was produced...

September 11, 2008 at 12:29 AM · I think this DVD has perk up the artistic part of a students, which mostly taken for granted for the reason of on focusing more on techniques and intonation which are vital in learning the violin,( i have to say) but since studying on a piece at a time and practicing over and over again, you kinda forget the artistic part of it, where you can move and express yourself freely into the music,more often, all you want to do is just learned it and play it as it written and when you did that, you move on to the next piece. The concept of playing the music as your own is gone. I am just talking about those in private lesson students, esp, adult learner like me. The DVD itself are more like a materclass, its very liberating to know that you can do things on your own, like deciding how to play certain parts. Maybe, this thread will give our educators and alike to be more encouraging to their students to turn their "artistic" button, its a great way to feel sometimes that you are in control and someone is encouraging you do explore it more.

Mr. Sonne, you wouldn't have the article from Strad magazine and spectacular reviews and support if you didn't do a great job of it. You've helped so many, you better believe that!

More power to you!

September 13, 2008 at 07:20 PM · Mr. Sonne,

Please count me among your wildly enthusiastic supporters. I will certainly revisit this DVD again and again and can't wait to get my hands on your future lessons. Your love of the violin and the music is infectious and your teaching style is soothing, enjoyable and highly effective. Congratulations and keep up the great work!

ab

September 13, 2008 at 10:32 PM · Very nice sample!

I am definitely interested.

Please prepare a wider variety of DVD violin lessons on DVD, for different levels, as there is definitely a need for such products.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe