Non-repertoire music for a Suzuki #4 Violinist

August 11, 2008 at 05:50 AM · I'm an adult student, working on Suzuki book 4. The thing is though, it seems that everyone who has picked up a violin knows all these songs. Its a great learning method, but I'm trying to find some music to supplement it for personal satisfaction, and that way I have a few more tunes to show off to friends with.

Does anyone have any recommendations of pieces that I could work on?

Replies (20)

August 11, 2008 at 07:38 AM · Hi there, I'm also on Suzuki Book 4. Do you have the Solo for Young Violinist? 2nd half of book 1 and beginning of book 2 is about our level.

I would love to hear other's suggestions as well!

August 11, 2008 at 09:45 AM · Fun with Solos by Evelyn Avsharian.

August 11, 2008 at 02:17 PM · Since you specify only what book-not the piece, this is a shot in the dark.....

There were several student Concerti written by Seitz....beyond the few movements in the Suzuki books.

There are some relatively easy Concerti by Hans Sitt-that are fairly neat sounding, but not too hard.

There are 600 concerti besides the 4 Seasons, and the G and A minor concerti that everyone knows....they were all written for his students, and were written by someone who knew about playing the violin and teaching it.

August 11, 2008 at 07:26 PM · I think that was about the level my daughter was at when she played the Accolay.

August 11, 2008 at 07:34 PM · Peruse the sheet music and books at Sheetmusic.com. You can see sample pages and decide for yourself if you can play the pieces.

August 11, 2008 at 08:15 PM · Millionaire's Hoedown - clebanoff

Polish Dance - Severn

The Boy Paganini - Mollenhauer

Donkey Doodle - Kroll

Orange Blossom Special - in book 2 of the Fairfield Fiddle Farm Book

August 11, 2008 at 08:21 PM · If you have never played, The Puppet Show by Josephine Trott audiences love it. It is more like Suzuki book 2-3 level but it will be a quick learn and it's really fun.

August 12, 2008 at 12:40 AM · Linda, really? I printed out the Accolay score and it is significantly harder than the Vivaldi I'm working on, so it went to the stack of "stuff I want to play but not yet" pile!

August 12, 2008 at 12:42 AM · I agree. Accolay is more like book 6 material.

August 12, 2008 at 05:14 AM · The Accolay should be do-able (with practice) at this level. Roy Sonne has published a wonderful DVD on playing the Accolay.

Two other pieces I like to introduce ambitious students to at this time are the Massagnet "Meditation from Tais" and the Monti "Czardas." Both are challenging at this level - and bring in an introduction to higher positions that is about to start in Suzuki Book 5, anyway. These are two of the all-time violin favorites (hired violinists even play them as entertainments on cruise ships).

The Mozart-Kreisler "Rondo" could be considered at this time too, and some of the lighter Kreisler favorites as well.

There are reasons to wait a little longer for all these, but not if the student is "chomping at the bit."

Andy

August 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM · I second the vote for some of the Kreisler pieces, in particular "Chansson and Pavane" as well as "Sicilienne and Rigaudon" (taking the Rigaudon a bit slower than the Perlman video on YouTube that is).

August 13, 2008 at 07:04 AM · Thanks for the great help, that's a lot of good suggestions that I will be sure to follow up on. Some of the pieces that I found on my own that I really enjoy are the Ave Maria and Air on the G, really recognizable pieces that can let you be expressive and...well...showy!

Some asked which pieces I am on, right now I'm working on Seitz's Concerto No 6 3rd Movement. Has anyone explored the other movements to this work that aren't in the Suzuki?

August 13, 2008 at 03:46 PM · The 2nd Mvt. to the Seitz #2 is beautiful. Try some second position in m. 4...

August 21, 2008 at 07:46 PM · Sorry, you're right - I just went and dug through the old books to check. Accolay came a bit later. My daughter's Suzuki teacher moved when d. was in 6th grade, just starting book 5. [I had thought it was book 4]. The Accolay was one of the first pieces she learned with the new, non-Suzuki teacher - played it at a recital within a year or two. So that's a bit later than book 4.

August 21, 2008 at 08:09 PM · My Suzuki book 4 students, mostly junior high, have wanted "not-Suzuki" for their NYS solo competition pieces. Some of the favored ones are: Corelli Sarabande & Allegro, the Dancla Airs Varies, Kreisler Siciliane & Rigaudon or Tempo di Menuetto, Mylnarski Mazurka (on the hard side of level 4), Senaille Sonata in d minor, Brahms Hungarian Dance no.5, Bohm Sarabande in g minor, Bartok In the Country. Sue

August 22, 2008 at 07:27 PM · Try some Scottish and Cape Breton tunes. They come in a wide variety of difficulties and keys and some of the slow airs and tunes are incredibly beautiful.

Listen to Alasdair Fraser and Hanneke Cassel play as you can't really get the style without listening and preferably playing with violinists who already know it. Most of my students love the tunes.

August 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM · Rieding Concerto in B minor. Bonus: I *think* it's on Perlman's recording of "Concertos from my Childhood" so you'd have a great example to emulate!

August 24, 2008 at 12:59 PM · I suggest looking at the Barbara Barber books of solos. They come with CD's which can be helpful. The relative difficulties of all the pieces are listed in terms of the Suzuki volumes. Many of the pieces listed here are in the Barber books: Sicillienne, Hoedown, de Beriot Scenes de Ballet...

August 24, 2008 at 05:58 PM · The Accolay, Meditation from "Thais", Czardas and the like are not at your current level. I don't know how well you play, but with knowing only the book you are in, I would say those pieces are an absolute no right now.

However, solos for young violinists book 1 and 2 was mentioned, and that is about right. The second half of book 1 and the first song of book 2. The first song of book 2, The Boy Paganini, is a little above the level of mid-suzuki 4, but is definently attainable with practice. Other than those books, I would recommend most Reiding, Huber, Seitz and Vivaldi concerti. These are all right around your level. If you are looking for light pieces, try Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar, Pachelbel's Canon in D, and all the Decade Series books are fun since there are many recognizable songs in them.

Hope this helps...

Good Luck:)

Hope

August 25, 2008 at 02:53 PM · Seitz concerto #4 and Kreisler Sicilliene & Rigaudon were pieces that I remember playing around that level. I'd say wait until you're done with at least suzuki 5 to play accolay, meditation de thais, etc.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe