Decorating your Case?

July 31, 2008 at 07:37 PM · I have noticed that some people put pictures inside of their violin cases, or decorate the outside, or a something to make your case more appealing.

Do you do anything to decorate your case and make it more “you” ?

If so, what do you put in? pictures of famous violinists, your kids, your pet goldfish ?

Has anyone ever painted the outside of their case?

Replies (36)

July 31, 2008 at 08:32 PM · Photos of my family, many musicians have them on their cases. Menuhim carried interesting things on his case but I can't remember exactly what.

www.manfio.com

July 31, 2008 at 08:33 PM · I used to have a little violin charm attached to my zipper pull, but the chain kept breaking. So now I'm back to an un-adorned case!

July 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM · My Musafia, and the contents therein-are too pretty to need more "decoration :>)

July 31, 2008 at 10:20 PM · I don't adorn my case to make it look pretty, but I have photos of my family and of my dog and cat in my case because they're special to me.

July 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM · I put pics of friends, family and pets in my case, and I sometimes put the program or paper in it from a special experience that shaped my music making. I think that if had a hard case like a fibreglass or carbon fibre I would put some stickers on it, but they don't always stick well on canvas:)

August 1, 2008 at 02:26 AM · I have several cases but on the one that is the lightest and easiest to carry my violin around in (and the cheapest), I sewed a flower patch onto the outside of the pocket. I also have little enamel 'souvenir' type pins from the different states/places I've played in, like my home city, Canada, & Maine. I hope to get lots more. I have an assortment of interesting zipper pulls. Inside I have some photos, and violin/music-related quotations.

August 1, 2008 at 03:04 AM · I unstick the ribbon behind the areas for the bows, and put pictures and extra strings behind the flap. I also put a violin in my violin case :)

August 1, 2008 at 03:31 AM · I have several decals decorating my violin case

-Nantuckett sp ? w/whale

-Nfld. = Newfoundland w/iceberg

-IRE = Ireland w/shamrock

- " Jo Mama " w/nothing

- "No Puffin Please"---Nfld.---I smoke

- local musical groups decals that i've played with over the years...

- several others which might be inappropriate

to mention on a public forum.......

like "genuine panther pi**"

August 1, 2008 at 04:12 AM · I have a few pins on my violin cover, which say I love (in a heart) fiddling, I love (in a heart) violin, piano power, (I also play the piano) practice fast, lern slow, practice slow, lern fast, and, if practice makes perfect, an nobody's perfect, than why practice? (retorical question)

August 1, 2008 at 04:19 AM · I like expensive cases that are all beat up. So I bought a Musifia and dragged it behind my motorcycle one day. Then I kicked it some and stomped more dirt into it. Then I whipped it with a pool cue. I'm bad.

August 1, 2008 at 05:16 AM · Who was that REALLY funny guy from CBC

radio who claimed to be from Canmore ?

He passed away a few years ago.

He said "hello,i'm mike from canmore".

He was really hilarious !!!!!!!

August 1, 2008 at 05:43 AM · LOL!

I don't know, but I've lived in Canmore a long time and never once met "the" Mike from Canmore... (its a shame, really)

OH oh,,,, I also put my violin in his case.. But can't actually say for myself that I have anything cool on my case except for one little sticker.

I have a wacky desire to paint something like "Starry Night" on my case...

August 1, 2008 at 01:20 PM · I've been thinking about putting a cocopelli decal on the music flap of my half-moon bobelock case.

My baby lives in a gorgeous green velvet interior with a long, flowing, jade green ribbon tied around the string tube and flowing behind the bows. There's 2 pictures of my beloved horse, Matthew and a cartoon of some pudgy violinist holding his violin up with balloons attached at the scroll. LOL.

August 1, 2008 at 06:38 PM · I don't understand this "Mike from Canmore" thing and what it has to do with this thread. Could someone explain?

In my old case I had a really adorable photo of Joshua Bell and my (then) three-year-old daughter, but in my new case the straps behind the bow holders are stitched too close to the edge and I can't slip the photo in like people usually do. I suppose I could use Velcro or something, but haven't gotten around to it.

August 1, 2008 at 07:20 PM · "Mike from Canmore" was John Morgan--a comedian

from CBC's [Canada] Royal Canadien Air Farce

radio show.

He was REALLY funny !

Sadly,he passed away a few years ago.

August 1, 2008 at 08:12 PM · Thanks for the information, but what does he have to do with decorating a violin case? Do you have a picture of him in yours, or something?

August 1, 2008 at 08:23 PM · My case is a brown oblong Bobelock. The cover is separating away from the top so you can see a little wood. Inside the zippered pocket you can find all manners of things (it is like an archeological dig). Currently, it contains duet parts to Suzuki 1-4, a metronome/tuner, a short baton, a brush and a comb, a small bottle of lotion, and some chopsticks that needed to be hid from my 5 yr old. The inside pocket has a cake of Melos rosin, new and used sets of Pirazzi strings, my Kun shoulder rest,and miscellaneous notes about this and that. The case is not decorated at all, except for some wayward cat hairs. My last case had to retire after I backed over it and decorated it with treadmarks.

August 1, 2008 at 09:21 PM · Karin,

You are correct,my post had nothing to do w/decorating a violin case.

Since the original poster of this thread is from

"Canmore",I thought she may be aware that John Morgan usually mentioned Canmore in his weekly

contributions to the Royal Canadien Air Farce show on CBC radio.

I believe the show no longer exists,because of CBC stripping the CBC orchestra and others in their domain...

August 1, 2008 at 10:53 PM · "My last case had to retire after I backed over it and decorated it with treadmarks."

... Patricia... (SHOCK) there wasn't a violin inside, was there??????

August 1, 2008 at 11:14 PM · Thanks, Joe. I have no problem with wandering threads, I was just very confused. Now I'm not and can go on with equally unimportant aspects of my life. :)

August 1, 2008 at 11:57 PM · Yes, my violin was in it. I was driving between schools and put everything into my car except my violin. $1100 later (all but $100 covered by insurance) it ended up sounding better than before. I can joke about it now, but 5 years ago it was a very bad day.

August 2, 2008 at 02:52 AM · Patricia, how awful!

I'd love to be able to plaster my case with the old hotel, ocean liner, vacation site and festival stickers/labels/ticket stubs I've collected, some quite old, but the cover is fabric. The old hard case Blondie originally came in might look funky fine dressed that way, and be a good display item for someone, but I'm giving it to the Salvation Army thrift store, along with everything else I can't sell by the time I leave for California. An RV only has so much room...

August 2, 2008 at 11:09 AM · When I was a kid I had one of those plastic, bullet-proof molded cases and I put stickers on it. They gave them out at music festivals, said things like "I believe in music."

My violin case now is a Musafia with a royal blue cloth cover. It's about 12 years old and I don't see many others like it, but I really like the blue color and being able to pick it out in a sea of cases.

My viola case is a behemoth of a Bobelock with a black cloth cover. It's very nice and sturdy and rather heavy. A little scary-looking, actually. I bought a luggage tag for it with a drawing of a violin (or could be a viola, the proportions aren't that exact). I take the instrument to work on the day of my lesson and ride up the elevator with it to my office. Last time someone looked at it and commented that it was nice I had identified what was in the case for security reasons.

August 6, 2008 at 08:19 PM · >Do you do anything to decorate your case[?]If so, what do you put in?

There is a picture of Arnold Schoenberg and a picture of Charlie Chaplin inside my violin case. They get along just fine with Genevieve (my violin).

September 23, 2009 at 03:37 AM ·

I have decorated the outside of my case A LOT.  I have a lululemon sticker, an ivonnehernandez.com sticker, several stickers that say 'NO', as in, 'DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY CASE'.  I also have a Garage sticker and an Apple (iPod) sticker.  Also, on the side of my case I have 'Emmy Lou lives here!' written.  I think thats about it.

Inside my case...I have fiddle and bow and rosin (always useful) some random set lists, and a 2 and a half year old wine gum that used to be stuck to the side of my mom's car...

September 23, 2009 at 05:08 AM ·

I decorated outside of my case with drawing, stencil and a fabric appliqué of birds and plants. It ’s a little wild and I got a lot of compliments in summer camp and music retreat.

September 23, 2009 at 02:22 PM ·

I've got one case full of stickers on the outside, but I don't use it that much. It's an SKB 444 Sculptured Violin case, it's quite nice but I've got a small Arirang that weighs a lot less and have backpack straps which I usually use. It has nothing on the outside but I do keep a few things inside. Mostly memories, a rosary from Argentina (got some family there), a small stone from a beach in Greece, that sort of stuff. A couple of mutes, a tuning fork and other music thingamajigs as well.

September 23, 2009 at 05:58 PM ·

Hi, I have hanging on the outside of the case a very small totoo dog. It makes smile everyone and it reminds me of my dog (a lab) somewhere in the sky now... that was always there since day one of my musical adventure to support me on good days and bad days when she used to look all sorry and lick my tears... (don't know why animals do this)   I also have a sticker my favorite accompagnist gave me since she though I lack confidence ( In fact, I wasn't used to my new school and, as a beginner in my teens, I was terrorized. Especially that this european trained pianist plays the piano like a virtuoso)     On the sticker is written in big " I'M A STAR"...  She insisted to put it in my case... I'm just afraid everyone thinks it's me who have put this because this would be pretentious lol!!!   I always joke with this each time we see eachother!  

My autographs are too precious for me to take the risk to scrap them in my case...  and I don't especially want to look like the one who have a few big (maybe very big...) names in her case...   But I have nothing against those who put them there, of course.

Interesting discussion,

Anne-Marie

September 23, 2009 at 07:42 PM ·

Anne-Marie: sounds like a nice case!

September 23, 2009 at 08:03 PM ·

Thanks, I'm sure yours is too!

Anne-Marie

September 23, 2009 at 09:05 PM ·

I actually have to buy a new case.. no use to decorate externally, if the thing is bad in itself, no? ;)

September 24, 2009 at 04:23 AM ·

pictures and mementos = fine, but drawing and gluing objects to the interior and/or exterior will certainly put the old kiiiiibosh on resale

September 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM ·

Garden gnomes + superglue.  Gives me a lot of extra personal space.

September 27, 2009 at 05:59 AM ·

My mom did a great painting of a violin that fit perfectly in the case with no glue or any fasteners needed. Heck, it fit better than the violin. HaHa

September 27, 2009 at 02:36 PM · Mine is decorated with a cross stick bookmark I made with an owl on it, it covers the theromoter :) My case is also decorated with dragonflies made out of pearls by myself. I also carry a lucky stone in my case so I suppose my case is quite personalized.

September 27, 2009 at 02:42 PM ·

Éric and Anna: how cool your cases!

Anne-Marie

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe