In need of a violin case

July 21, 2008 at 05:09 AM · Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new violin case and was wondering if I could get some suggestions. My upper limit is around $250 and my priorities, besides the obvious (ie: sturdy and protects my violin), are: a large music pocket (so I can fit my thin music books), and a hygrometer + some sort of humidification system (must be built-in).

On a related noted, I've been looking at "The Advocate" violin case from Embassy Cases and the Heritage IV line sold by Shar music. Does anyone know if these cases are any good?

Replies (26)

July 21, 2008 at 12:57 PM · I use a Bobelock case. I am very happy with it. Most of their cases cost less than you are willing to spend and have the features you want.

July 21, 2008 at 02:16 PM · I hope I'm not breaking any rules, but I have a 3 month old Continental Case I'm trying to sell. It's in new condition, just a bit too big/roomy for my petite, older instrument. It's black/black, has all the features you want. PM me and we can talk price, if you're interested.

July 21, 2008 at 04:31 PM ·

July 21, 2008 at 04:35 PM · There's a discounted Musafia case on their website right now for about $460 that offers all the protection you'll need. Highly recommend these cases.

http://www.musafia.com/discounted.html

If you're interested don't delay. Good deals don't last very long.

July 24, 2008 at 12:33 PM · Roder, from Taiwan.

July 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM · I can't really recommend Musafia at the moment. I emailed to purchase a case and to inquire about payment instructions. 2 days after sending the payment by USPS, I get an email stating that they sold the case to someone else.

Sounds like bait and switch to me. Even if it's not, they are still obligated to give me some sort of compensation for their mistake. When I asked though, they weren't very eager to help and I'm still in limbo.

This is not what I would call good business practices. When sending strings, if I even have unnecessary delays in shipping I try to make it up by either expediting shipping or offering free shipping on the next order.

Emmanuel

August 14, 2008 at 09:51 AM · I am a big fan of this site and use it for information often. It pleases me to be able to offer some first hand information regarding Bobelock violin Case(s). I live in the Philippines, where they are made and was invited to visit the factory today. I can tell you it is a well made case, using quality materials, not pretentious, supports the instrument well and in my opinion, will serve the needs more than adequately. ( P.S.I do not work for Bobelock)

August 14, 2008 at 01:50 PM · I found all cases I looked at to be of the same construction and the quality just not being there. I've used Bobelock cases which were decently put together but the high quality cases were so heavy and still had elastic holding the pockets closed which being rubber will fall apart rather quickly. Also the interior was the same velveteen you'll find anywhere else, nothing exactly special about them Also the Bobelock logo was glued on really crooked which irked me.

Being frustrated I just bought a cheapo $100 case until I came into some extra money and splurged on a Musafia case and it's exactly what I was looking for, high quality construction and nice asthectically.

As for the case being sold while a check was in transit, the cases for sale on the site are demo cases or factory seconds and they are on a first come first served basis. I inquired about a case and he stated "it is available at the time of this writing", which meant to me he had no intentions of holding the case. Also they do take credit card. I could imagine that he has flakes writing about cases all the time and not actually sending payment.

August 14, 2008 at 02:54 PM · I used to use a bobelock featherlight which worked well and had a lot of storage space. It costs $160 for velour and $193 for velvet on johnsonstring.com. The only problem with it was that while it is pretty light, it is very big, so it was a little harder to carry around. The other thing about is that it doesn't seem to be as protective, but I don't know that for a fact. For my birthday I got a Musafia luxury ultralight that I absolutely love! It's so pretty! I tried to get one online at the discount site, but I kept on missing them, so I got one from my local violin shop. It's a great case, it is very light and small, it is easy to travel with, it is of very high quality, and seems to be very protective. However, there are cases much cheaper that work too, the Musafia is something that while it is extremely nice to have, is not at all necessary.

August 14, 2008 at 04:12 PM · I've bought several Musafia cases off the discount page, and never had any problems. In fact, the company even notified me that a case that matched my needs was going to become available. I committed to it sight unseen, and had them add insulation (at the going rate) as well, which they were inclined to do as they had not yet completed the restoration.

Musafia cases, while gorgeous to look at, do indeed offer an amazing amount of protection as well. I wouldn't buy a case for its looks alone, but the Musafia cases are extremely well built and the focus is on protection.

Sorry if anyone has had problems with the company; their sales policies are pretty clear, and they will hold a case until payment arrives, so long as you comiit to the purchase and send payment in a timely fashion.

August 14, 2008 at 04:28 PM · If I recall right Bob,

Their policy re: discounted cases- is to hold the case for a week after being asked to reserve it, expecting payment-if the payment is not recieved in that time-then the case is back up for grabs. Sniping the discounts page can be tricky-as with ebay sniping; especially with operations in Italy and time differences.....occasionally they slip up and cases already paid for get posted a second time by accident-that happened with mine.

Their cases are very much artisan built, and are constructed and warrantied beyond pretty much any other case on the market. Of course the price is steep compared to mass-produced jobbies from the orient; but you do get what you pay for. I had a great experience shopping with them-and would recommend them....of course the OP is only wanting to spend the minimum, and odds are he has already made his purchase.

August 14, 2008 at 07:33 PM · I own cases by Jaeger, Musafia, Bobelock, plus assorted (as far as I'm concernerd) no-name cases.

Of course the more expensive cases are very nice, but as far as I'm concerned, you can't do better, dollar-for-dollar than the Bobelock Semi-French style for convenience, compartmentalization, and carrying capacity. It seems to be a very durable case, I've had mine for 10 years and for 8 of those years it was the case that I took everywhere.

Nowadays a Musafia is the one I take with me and in addition to quality features in hinges and handles and also exquisite finish details, its greatest asset (to me) is the way the latch works - it is one of the rare cases that can be unlatched and latched securely with one hand (while you hold violin and bow in the other). And that latch seems very secure even if you forget to zip the case closed. That latch style is also used on their Italian-made smaller shaped (Dart) cases. I don't know if they use that same latch on their Asian-made less-expensive models; it certainly is not used on the counterfeit Musafia copies that were abundant a few years ago.

Andy

August 14, 2008 at 04:29 PM · Andrew I had a Bobelcok semi French and it was huge, it could double as a truck bumper. It was too bulky for me. But for someone on a budget Bobelock is probably the way to go.

I just bit the bullet as I was going to be dissapointed until I got the Musafia. I agree that the Musafia is a very nice to have but not a neccessity at all.

August 14, 2008 at 07:29 PM · Michale, In my experience there are larger single-violin cases than the Bobelock.

When I went looking for the smallest case I could fine (prior to an airplane flight) I measured the Musafia Dart style to be slightly smaller in each dimension than any other case I could find - even though it didn't look the smallest.

Andy

August 15, 2008 at 01:43 AM · Oh and while I'll be accused of being OCD the Musafia case is nice however overpriced. For $1000+ there shouldn't be any leatherette on there, it should be top grain leather all the way. Leather trim and on the subway handle really wouldn't be very expensive and should be on such an expensive case.

But it is the nicest case I've seen, my standards are so high maybe I should start making violin cases?????

August 15, 2008 at 05:03 PM · Thanks for the responses, everyone! I still am looking for a case after all this time, unfortunately (I've been getting sidetracked).

I think the Musafia line is way out of my price range right now...but I will keep my eye on the discounted cases page in case something good and within my price range comes up. I guess I'll check out the Bobelock line of cases for the time being.

Can anyone recommend any other good cases/case companies that haven't been mentioned yet? I'm particularly interested to hear if anyone has had a case from Shar.

August 15, 2008 at 06:40 PM · You might look at the Gewa Maestro Oblong 309V ($233 from Johnson Strings) or, if you want something fancy, the Gewa 310V (Venetian)--also at Johnson. The Gewas are light, compact, spacious, and of good quality.

August 16, 2008 at 12:47 AM · Look into the Hima cases...They look almost identical to the Bam Carbon Fiber cases, they have a large pocket, and protect your instrument very well. They only cost about 250 also. Here is the place where I got mine from.

http://www.stradviolin.com/case-violin-home.htm

Hope it helps

August 16, 2008 at 12:58 AM · FYI-last I knew BAM did NOT make any cases out of carbon fiber. Their "Hightech" cases are made out of PVC or similar material, with a neat looking layer adhered (read sticker style) on top to give the appearance of CF.

August 30, 2008 at 09:29 PM · Brian, how durable are the Hima cases? I bought one on "sale" today at my local violin shop (with the half-hearted thought of returning it), and so far I've heard really mixed reviews about it. I'm a little put off by the quality of the bow spinners (not firmly attached), the shakiness of the music pocket (what if it dislodges and crashes on the violin?), and the fact that there is only one layer to the shell. I'm in college, so I haul my violin all over the place and I need a case that is very light but can take a LOT. Since you own the Hima, I would really appreciate your impression of it.

August 30, 2008 at 09:56 PM · Lately I've seen several players using a case that looks like it's aluminum. It's oblong basically, with black edges and black hinges and no cover. The color is like brushed or silver anodized aluminum. One had a music pocket on the top that looked like an accessory.

August 30, 2008 at 09:39 PM · Bethany,

As a former user of a BAM Hightech--what I'd worry about with one of those (just looking)-is thermal insulation. Especially if you live in an area with coolish/crappy winters. The BAM Hightech for instance, has NO thermal insulating ability what so ever (that Hima CF, looks like the same idea....meaning that within 5-10 minutes of being outside, the violin drops to whatever temperature the outside air is at.

YMMV of course.

August 30, 2008 at 09:48 PM · Jim,

Odds are those are BAM Hightech cases. Amongst their flaws: No thermal insulating ability, they will not sit on a table open without falling over, and their cheapish construction means that in a year or two you'll be buying another case (The rivets on the handles will pull out amongst other things). Yep, I'm still p*ssed about the (very cheap sale) price I paid for the one I used to use.

August 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM · My daughter's BAM hightech case melted. When we called BAM to ask about that they told us that their hightech cases cannot be subject to extreme temperatures."

August 31, 2008 at 12:00 PM · Thank you, everyone, for your input! I go to school in Boston, so I'll definitely be returning the Hima and sticking with my WestCoast oblong paired with a Mooradian case cover. The combination has got to weight at least ten pounds, but it's worth it if it keeps my violin safe, warm, and intact!

August 31, 2008 at 12:01 PM · Oh, by the way...the hygrometers that come with cases are usually analog and extremely inaccurate. However, there are plenty of digital hygrometers with humidification systems that are affordable, like Oasis and Planet Waves (Stretto is pretty pricey). Amazon is a good place to find reviews and low prices on those.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe