Maybe We Should Meet?

June 17, 2008 at 06:46 AM · I'm wondering, with everybody here, there's enough people to fill up a concert repertoire on a yearly basis. Imagine an annual gathering of vcommies for a Christmas concert, for instance, in different parts of the world. Ex: this year it will be in the US, next year in Germany, etc. etc. Proceeds from the concert could go to vcom's chosen music school in the country for underprivileged children or youth.

I recently went to a French Spring Concert featuring a quartet. And in the audience were children from the slums whose guardians or sponsors wanted them to be exposed to classical music - at least for the evening. In my country there is also a school sponsoring the children of farmers and fishermen to learn to play the violin.

What do you think?

Replies (24)

June 18, 2008 at 12:17 AM · I'll try to come to a v.com concert :-)

It would be good if we could get Emil to come along.

June 18, 2008 at 12:48 AM · Auoh! Maa! Gawdddd!

Violinist.com-ers all in one place? All at one time? Each with a different technique, a different vibrato, a different piece of violin music in front of them, and a different opinion of how it should be played?

I can see it now: An all violin orchestra, made up of misspellers from all over the world. And at every music stand in the first violin section, two virtuosos...arguing about every little thing. And in the second violin section, all violin teachers, constantly telling the first violin section what to do. And at every other music stand, violin students watching and learning.

And who will conduct this great ensemble, driving it into a degree of precision that would make Toscanini blush? That, my friends, is for more creative minds than mine to contemplate.

I think I need a drink (and I don't even drink).

:) Sandy

June 18, 2008 at 01:10 AM · Now, that's funny :0 ... maybe Laurie can do something about that...

June 18, 2008 at 01:25 AM · Greetings,

and yes, we put the people without a shoulder rest on the right, and the users on the left. Then we need a special bar for the substance abusers...Plus ther wouldn`t be enough seats in the enarest Starbucks.

Cheers,

Buri

June 18, 2008 at 01:27 AM · Good luck finding enough prunes, Buri ;>)

PS-I'm game anywho.

June 18, 2008 at 07:18 AM · I'm kinda stuck in Alaska. You guys are welcome to come over, though.

June 18, 2008 at 05:29 PM · Love to, but logistics of travelling to the States aren't that simple.

How many v.commies anywhere near southern Poland?

June 18, 2008 at 05:39 PM · I'll sit in the middle, no shoulder rest, left elbow on the bar, beverage of choice in right hand. (I'll just do left hand pizzicato.)

Let me know when and where! ;-)

June 18, 2008 at 05:39 PM · I already semi-host a similar kind of thing, called "Fiddle Hell". The next one in the US is in Groton in December, I think, and the next in the UK will be in Birmingham in January, though there may be one in Bristol in late September.

YO can always come to those.

gc

June 18, 2008 at 08:32 PM · Putch,

Your idea for meeting is great. Tell me where and I'll pass along all info to my associate, Chris Hansen.

June 18, 2008 at 09:14 PM · Scott, HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!LOL! That is hilarious...I think that there are a lot of people that won't get it though. :) but extremely funny none the less.

June 18, 2008 at 10:53 PM · Yeah, I don't get it...anyone care to explain the joke?

I've gotten together and jammed with fellow v.commers. Seems like a logistical nightmare to try and do it with more than a couple of people, though.

June 19, 2008 at 10:42 AM · Sounds like a good idea. Put me on the left, shoulder rest, side. No Starbucks. Tea, please, strong and black with lemon, the way God intended.

June 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM · P.S. Buri, I like how you call those who employ shoulder rests "users." HA!

June 19, 2008 at 01:50 AM · You're all welcome to come here. Plenty of space for users and non-users. We've got Starbucks at every corner, lots of smog for smokers, and you could even take a side-trip to a white-sand beach.

June 19, 2008 at 03:41 AM · For those of you who don't understand scott's joke, Chris Hansen is the host of Dateline NBC's To Catch a Predator. It is the show about sexual predators who target teens online and try to meet them. It was just funny how scott threw that out there.

June 19, 2008 at 12:01 PM · Thanks for the explanation, Hope, although I'm still scratching my head at the appropriateness of it here. Ah well, everyone's humor is a little different...

I am one of those antisocial people who is happy just to have online relationships and gatherings w/o taking it any further. No offense, v.commies. If the group ever produces a CD, tho, I promise to buy it. I DID buy a v.com tee-shirt, after all.

June 20, 2008 at 05:06 AM · I'd love to, but being in Perth (The most remote capital city in the world) makes it slightly difficult (Read: expensive) to go anywhere.

We've had these discussions before, great ideas at first, but they quickly die. Basically, if it's going to work, we'd need to think long term. Aim to have it in two years time for example. That gives people time to organise their lives so that they can fly in from wherever, keep their diaries free, organise holidays etc.

But Failing that, I'll just wait and meet people when I eventually travel through america... I hope to get there one day...

June 21, 2008 at 10:57 PM · Putch, I would love to come visit! It's been a long time since I was there at Subic Bay. I would bring my violin, eat Lumpia and drink Red Horse with you and me playing!!!! And figure out a way to get Burnedette to be able to travel and meet v.commers. Better yet, go visit her! We'll bring her lumpia and Red Horse!

June 23, 2008 at 02:47 AM · Looking forward to it, Royce! A barbecue would be great with that. Imagine a lot of drunk v.commers... what do you think they would play?

June 23, 2008 at 03:28 AM · i think violin players would

play some reels,just to take a break...

impromtu's and jamming ad lib....

laughing ALL the way home

at a time in early morning

just while the birds

complete an unfinished piece...

all would be well--for once

it will only happen in a movie or book.

and perhaps,in a occasional

very rare occurance........

June 23, 2008 at 04:20 AM · i really don't think it's impossible

just a matter of organization

and a bit of resolve

to reach out to a different world

and find there is not much difference

music unites, no need to learn the language

the language of the heart speaks volumes

and all who speak it become friends

friends near and in faraway places

will remember a day like this

June 23, 2008 at 04:25 AM · imagine us on the Great Wall

playing a haunting melody

or maybe the Grand Canyon

hearing the notes echo along

or inside an underground cave,

a "cathedral", we call it

or under a cherry blossom tree...

our music to merge with nature

our goal only to play, not perform

our notes will reach the high heavens

and the inner refuge of our souls

June 23, 2008 at 04:41 AM · I don't normally listen to Willy Nelson but work mates used to play a recording at work, with him singing, "....those faaaar...a-way places.." etc. He did a good job on that song I thought. I'd get dreamy-eyed whenever they played it :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe