Check out this case - Where can I get it for less?

June 7, 2008 at 03:25 AM · I am in love with this case - anyone own one?

Unfortunately it's rather expensive, does anyone know where it can be purchased for less?

I know $430 is the sale price.

Replies (20)

June 7, 2008 at 04:11 AM · BAM-like cases sometimes turn up on ebay. I've heard this type case scratches up easily and looks a mess in short order.

June 7, 2008 at 06:11 AM ·

June 7, 2008 at 10:40 AM · I love this case too. Adam's right, it does scratch easily, but I think the scratches look kinda cool! I travel a fair amount, and this case is perfect for traveling. The fact that it can't carry music isn't a big deal for me because I usually carry a large handbag that music can fit in. But if that's an issue for you, keep looking...

June 7, 2008 at 11:14 AM · Hmm...The case looks so cool to me. But I don't want to get it scratched up!

Thanks for your ideas - I'll find an inexpensive case.

June 7, 2008 at 01:56 PM · The case is cool, it absolutely keeps the violin safe, it's extremely light. But, as others have said, no storage and scratches.

I actually contacted BAM about the scratches and they recommended scratch remover (the kind you can get for cars). I got mine at Amazon. It really does work. Every six months or so, I wipe away the scratches. Simple.

June 7, 2008 at 02:13 PM · A local fiddler friend of mine has one. It's all scratched up and has a few stickers on it. I agree, it kind of looks cool that way.

My problem is that I've fallen in love with the Musafia cases at musafia.com. I can't possible afford one, so I just punish myself by visiting that site. They are beautiful though.

June 7, 2008 at 04:45 PM · This case does look cool, but I would buy a Bobelock case which is probably just as good but costs about half as much. I will admit that it doess not look as good, but I would not pay $200+ just for style.

June 7, 2008 at 04:52 PM · Friends don't let friends settle for less than a Musafia.

June 7, 2008 at 05:37 PM · Tom, I have a Bobelock; my daughter has the BAM. I do think the Bobelock is a fantastic value at the price.

For us, the BAM's extra cost wasn't about style so much as it was about finding a protective case at an extremely light weight.

For me, and especially for her, lugging multiple instruments around on the subway day in and day out -- those 3+ extra pounds make a real difference.

Especially when you count in the ridiculous numbers of books (music and academic), lunch, and sometimes dance shoes, that have to be included as well.

June 7, 2008 at 05:42 PM · BTW, if I could afford a Musafia, I absolutely would.

(I'd make sure to design it myself, though, because some of those clashing interior fabric colors aren't exactly the "fierce" I'm looking for.)

June 7, 2008 at 05:54 PM · I'll caution you Sean-the BAM hightech are nice looking and light--but they have no thermal insulation against heat/cold. I've also read horror stories of Hightech cases deforming (melting) under direct sunlight.

June 7, 2008 at 06:33 PM · I agree it's more than just fashion and the lightness really does matter. There are other ergonomic features that I like too, like the indent where a regular case bangs against your thigh.

The interior design has improved a little, I think, since I got mine about 3 years ago. I ended up having an extra pad installed on the top opposite the neck cradle to secure the violin a little better. The velcro was not as secure as it should have been so I was getting a few top scratches from bows.

June 7, 2008 at 06:47 PM · No one mentions Gewa any more. Have they fallen out of favour? they used to be "the best" mass-produced case.

Of course, now Mr. Gordge has died, his cases are starting to attract extra value.

gc

June 8, 2008 at 05:35 AM · I bought a GEWA from Potter's recently and like it a lot. It is well built, has good suspension and is not nearly as heavy as my Musafia and Bobelock cases. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it was definitely under $300.

June 8, 2008 at 06:56 AM · I love the look of carbon fiber cases (very jealous of cello players lugging around all these colorful cases), I got this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15009485@N07/2332231330/

I put the butterfly stickers on myself, don't worry! It's only $150, it's by Bobelock

June 8, 2008 at 01:51 PM · Marc wrote, "I'll caution you Sean-the BAM hightech are nice looking and light--but they have no thermal insulation against heat/cold. I've also read horror stories of Hightech cases deforming (melting) under direct sunlight."

My daughter's hightech case melted (along with a few other hightech cases) during a youth orchestra tour after brief contact with vanity lights in a dressing room. Interestingly, no other brands of cases had any problem. We contacted BAM and they told us that hightech cases cannot be exposed to heat.

June 8, 2008 at 02:57 PM · Sean - thanks for your post on the differences between Bobelock and BAM cases. That should help Catherine make a decision.

June 8, 2008 at 04:58 PM · Yikes! I remember that incident with the melted BAM case, and the (gory) photo that was posted -- clearly not one of the BAM's strong points.

June 10, 2008 at 01:31 AM · Thanks for the ideas!

June 10, 2008 at 03:16 AM · So to answer the original question, perhaps a nice BAM Hightech case could be found cheaply at a fire sale?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe