Chad Hoopes, CIM student and winner of the Menuhin competition

June 1, 2008 at 05:13 PM · Here is a recent local story and video on Chad Hoopes, the junior prize winner in the Menuhin competition. Its kind of fun--especially his expression when the reporter asks him if he is "the best young violinist in the world". ;-)

Hype aside, its a good profile of a young and emerging violinist. Enjoy.

Also, he's playing on CBS Early Show Monday morning...

Replies (21)

June 4, 2008 at 03:49 AM · It’s lovely and thanks Mr. Russell for sharing this with us! Chad has inspired me to work hard on Schubert’s sonata and I’m sure I’m not alone.

June 4, 2008 at 01:15 PM · Saw Chad and his sister's on 'The Early show'. Extremely talented young man. Always warms your heart to see someone so young immersing himself in music. He seems to be a genuinely pleasant young man too. Wish him much success!

June 4, 2008 at 05:57 AM · http://www.veoh.com/videos/v14086535dQNd35dQ?searchId=3463750563026623488&rank=1

June 4, 2008 at 11:36 AM · what is the big deal? it is the violin anyway:):):)

it is fantastic! a great young ambassador of the classical world, with that smile and warmth. thank god asian parents did not lay hands on him,,,:)

great to see that he so confidently articulates again and again the value of commitment-- a great role model for fellow kids. chad is the type of person that even if you hate classical music, his personality may capture you and turn you around.

also great to see one of the hosts (the older man, forgot his name) commented that besides chad's tech, it was his tone! haha, violinists take notice,,,people can tell the difference! :)

great work mr russell,,,my question for the teachers is....how much comes from chad, how much comes from your "growing"...

June 4, 2008 at 12:30 PM · al,

Seriously, it is a partnership. David Cerone and I collaborate with Chad to shape and nurture his God-given gifts. Its a wonderful partnership between teachers and student and Chad's entire family. His past teachers should also be recognized as a part of what led him to this point.

It is a pleasure when the student is such a nice person to begin with...

Chad is soloist with Pittsburgh Symphony today. Anyone nearby?

June 4, 2008 at 01:13 PM · He comes over as a really nice kid, down to earth and genuine. I'm sure he'll do very well in the future with such a great attitude.

What's the violin he is playing? Sounds nice.

By the way that's a very cool baseball ad featured in the video...

June 4, 2008 at 01:30 PM · Thanks for posting the link to the video-- it was worth waiting through the car commercial to hear Chad play and to hear his interview! Btw, there is a nice photo of him in the current issue of The Strad.

June 4, 2008 at 03:03 PM · Very skilled young man, no doubt about it.

I dislike titles like "best violinist in the world" or "best young violinist in the world" that are used to generate hype, though.

Especially with the mind-boggling number of skilled violinists these days.

June 4, 2008 at 03:07 PM · "I dislike titles like "best violinist in the world" or "best young violinist in the world" that are used to generate hype, though."

i think people are genuinely happy for him, impressed by him and his playing, so what if they throw some tongue in cheeks his way? he deserves it and he is entitled to bask in the glory of his achievement!

there are other talented youth out there, but this is his moment and a chance for us to give him and his teachers 2 thumbs up!!

June 4, 2008 at 03:27 PM · The video must be gone from the channel 3 site,

couldn't find it. Saw the morning show one though.

Very nice Mr. Russel, you do good work.

June 4, 2008 at 04:07 PM · Thank you, Ray. It really is my pleasure.

June 4, 2008 at 04:09 PM · Oh, I forgot... the violin is a slightly small Amati on loan from CIM. Nice instrument.

June 4, 2008 at 08:37 PM · *Poof*

Hear that? That was the sound of posts mysteriously being deleted :P

June 4, 2008 at 08:45 PM · Mine too. Probably a good thing. Thank you!

June 4, 2008 at 08:54 PM · Just m'job, folks.

June 4, 2008 at 09:08 PM · 'Tis best for the discussion anywho.

To Chad's teacher: If he plans on pursuing a profession in violin, perhaps recording some videos of his playing for YouTube would be a good idea? Many competition winners never make it into the limelight simply from lack of publicity and public knowledge rather than any discredit to their actual talents (which are always breathtaking)

June 4, 2008 at 09:36 PM · I like how the videos touched on the joy in Chad's playing. That is what I most remember about him from when we were at Sound Encounters together. He has such enthusiasm for music and for life!

June 5, 2008 at 03:22 PM · can't wait to see laurie interviewing chad,,,soon:) younger students can certainly identify with him. well, not yet the way he plays but certainly his spirit.

younger violin students often need stimuli provided by things like the morning show clip, to add some interesting flavors to the otherwise boring routines, to see what can be done, how it can be done, the fruit of labor...

June 5, 2008 at 03:08 PM · David, sorry if this question is too intrusive ...¿is it possible for you to give some insights about Chad's training?

At what age did he start playing the violin?

Hours a day in diferent stages?

How 'serious' was the training regarding technique in early stages (compared to the asian way, mentioned here by Al)?

June 5, 2008 at 04:32 PM · I will, I'll talk to him in the next week or so. :)

June 5, 2008 at 08:32 PM · Cesar,

Good questions. I think maybe he'll answer most of them in his upcoming violinist.com interview.

That will be fun. Have fun, Laurie!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe