violinists' favorite restaurant: tell us yours!

May 29, 2008 at 04:40 PM ·

does yours make this list? tell us stories and make us raid the fridge!

Replies (34)

May 29, 2008 at 05:47 PM · I've got my favorites all over the place...whenever I go to my luthier in Salt Lake City, I like to eat at this amazing Japanese place called Takashi. There's an excellent Hungarian restaurant in Cleveland called Balaton, and in New York I'm very fond of the Chinese place Shun Lee right near Lincoln Center.

May 29, 2008 at 05:43 PM · Sea Breeze Market and Deli

598 University @ Frontage Rd

Berkeley, Ca

Wonderful fresh fruit, fresh cooked fish and crab, lobster, mouthwatering lasagna, eggs and anything for b'kfst, soups in a bread bowl, and a great little coffee bar, plus smoothies. Sinful chocolate desserts. Local beers and wine from Napa. A assortment of newspapers. Get your coffee started, go gather your b'kfst/lunch/dinner and find a table outside. The place sits at the edge of the tidal marsh west of the freeway and east of the marina, on the access road. Boaters, bikers, campers and some very colorful locals frequent the place. I used to love to stop there on the way out to my boat, or after sailing. Early or late, the food is freshly made and delicious, there's a great variety, the staff is friendly, the company always interesting. I can hardly wait to get back;>) and I wanna go there when I die!...as long as I can go sailing too.

May 29, 2008 at 07:45 PM · Ollie's Seafood Restaurant 71 Sea Island Pkwy Beaufort, SC 29907.

Heaven is a plate of fresh oysters on the back deck at Ollies. Enjoying a cold corona watching the sun go down over the spanish moss in the trees with fireflies reflecting off the water. Ollies is one of my true favorite places. Tourists don't go there and it's not much to look at, but the food, it's fresh, and memorable!

May 29, 2008 at 06:39 PM · Hmm... so hard! Vancouver has a lot of really great places to eat! Of course, one has to put a sushi place on the list, and to date, my favorite place to get sushi is "Suga Sushi" up in the university village. They have this wonderful thing called "California Tempura" which is tempura battered/fried california rolls... YUM! The people who work there are also really great so it makes for an all around enjoyable experience!!

My other favorite restaurant at the moment is one called "Jolly's" on the corner of Macdonald and West 4th Ave in Vancouver. AMAZING Indian food!!

May 29, 2008 at 08:25 PM · Two top-of-the-line restaurants; Gibbys in Montreal. The restaurant part is in the old stables from the late 1700's I think I remember.

And the ever incredible only 5 star Mexican food restaurant I know of; La Montanya in Steamboat Springs, Colorado where we used to live.

May 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM · The Grand Tier Restaurant

Metropolitan Opera House

NYC

May 29, 2008 at 10:53 PM · Any truck stop in the South at 7:00 a.m. :)

May 30, 2008 at 12:28 AM · The Moose's Tooth. They brew award winning beer and all their food is incredibly well done and cheap. Pizza and beer. Where it's at.

May 30, 2008 at 12:44 AM · ...during the year of course there's nothing quite like Downtown Pizza, Oberlin, OH. Sleaziest little pizza dive I've ever seen but man, sometimes it hits the spot soooo perfectly.

May 30, 2008 at 03:27 AM · Kelsey, the chirashi(with tons of super fresh local uni, toro and ikura)I had at Seto Japanese Restaurant in Richmond BC a couple of weeks ago was the best I’ve ever had. My husband said the last time he had such good Japanese meal was 20 some years ago in Japan with a much higher price.

May 30, 2008 at 03:30 AM · Lorenzo's Pizza 3rd and South St. in Philly!

May 30, 2008 at 04:53 AM · My favorite now is beyond reach to me. It was a (now abandoned, so I hear) sea-side place, jutting out from a palm-tree lined beach into the South China sea, in East Malaysia. There was a large old wooden deck going out into the waves, and at night they had flaming torches giving light to the deck, and discreet smouldering dried ferns to keep the mosquitoes at bay, all adding to the atmosphere.

And the company and the food and the service was excellent. My favorite was the deep fried sea bass, cut criss-cross across the sides, with fresh coriander and ferns, eaten with chop sticks. And the noodles and the prawns!! The beer was Carlsberg, brought to the table by a specially dressed 'Carlsberg lady' as we called her.

My current favorite is down by the seaside near where I live.

May 30, 2008 at 04:39 AM · I'd have to go with the Aladdin Cafe, in downtown Lawrence. Fresh pita bread, amazing hummus, falafel, gyros, lentil soup, and all sorts of Mediterranean food. Mmmm . . .

May 30, 2008 at 05:12 AM · For really good food, I’d go to Vancouver. The city I’m in, Victoria, claims to have the second highest number of restaurants per capita in Canada so I guess it has a few nice ones worth mentioning.

My favourite breakfast place is a diner called John’s Place, owned by a former a gold medalist at the food Olympics who came from California more than 20 years ago. Everything on the menu is fabulous and no-nonsense.

We used to have a great family-owned Korean restaurant called the Guru, but it ended by an exceedingly tragic murder-suicide case about a year ago. Sen Zushi is probably the best Japanese restaurant in town and a regular place to do lunch.

The Golden City is the best Chinese restaurant here with the most fresh ingredients and consistently good and thoughtfully prepared food. This restaurant owner also regularly makes large amount donations to people in need and their long-term staff are all helpful and happy. It makes a big difference when the people are as tasteful as the food.

May 30, 2008 at 05:45 AM · Santa Ramen in San Mateo. YUMMY authentic, artery clogging, fattening ramen.

May 30, 2008 at 07:00 AM · They skipped over Indiana, otherwise White Castle would have certainly made the list.

May 30, 2008 at 07:55 AM · Sometimes if I'm travelling through a town I go to McDonalds.

May 30, 2008 at 08:32 AM · LOl I don't care where it is, so long as hubby bothers to take me out somewhere, and I don't have kitchen duty :)

May 30, 2008 at 01:59 PM · Speaking of food, anyone remembers the cult food show - the original Iron Chef series from Japan? I have tons of fun watching their reruns.

May 30, 2008 at 02:09 PM · In New Yawk: Fine & Schapiro Kosher Restaurant.

In Boston: Rubin's Kosher Restaurant

In Atlanta: Fuhgetaboutit! There isn't a proper Kosher Deli here, so go back to the airport and get a plane for New Yawk or Boston.

Mischa Elman used to dine at Fine & Schapiro. It is my theory that this is in some way connected to the fabled Elman tone! If you wish to test my theory, have one of their Hot Pastrami sandwiches and then play any melody by Tschaikovsky or Wieniawski. Hear the improvement?

At Rubin's, order the Romanian Hot Pastrami sandwich.

May 30, 2008 at 02:08 PM · omg.....pastrami.....this thread is making me salivate.

Christian, there's also a White Castle halfway between Cleveland and Oberlin, a frequent gathering place of Oberliners incongruously dressed in their concert finest after hearing a performance at Severance Hall...

May 30, 2008 at 01:57 PM · I was brought up with the idea that restaurants are a treat, not a habit. This mind set works quite well with the typical (tight) musician budget, and the rising cost of everything. B'ham also has 10% sales tax, and that includes restaurants and food purchased at the grocery. That said...

Local B'ham Area Eats:

-Shipley's Donuts. They use lard. 'Nuff said.

-Johnnie Ray's B-B-Q. Pork or chicken, you can not go wrong. The felines like it too.

-The Purple Onion. Mediterranean fast food, Mm. My favorite.

-The Fish Market. Greek-owned, cafeteria style. This is the place I splurge ($10.00 +). Most of the seafood is pulled out of the Gulf and very fresh.

-Waffle House. Just don't look at the floors too carefully. This is THE place to go before/after the holiday gigs, mostly because they never close.

June 3, 2008 at 08:29 PM · I'm with Jim Miller on this one. Darned good cookin'...for cheap. :)

The money I save on food can be put toward a new set of strings, or even a new bow once in a while. ;)

June 4, 2008 at 06:30 AM · le cirque: las vegas and new york!!!

fav quick bite: in n out burgers. animal style with no tomatos!!!

June 5, 2008 at 05:37 AM · Portland: Malay Satay Hut - authentic Malay. I LOVE the laksa!

Santa Cruz Mtn's: The Trout Farm Inn - no where else have I seen "Eatin', Drinkin', Swimmin' and Fishin'" before!

Hong Kong: Hard Rock Cafe - much needed after being in mainland China for weeks.

June 5, 2008 at 11:45 AM · awesome work people,,,with summer travels coming up, readers may actually be able to check out your recom! at least i will! :)

June 5, 2008 at 02:34 PM · La Lupe on 9th St. in South Philly. Best Mexican food in Philadelphia by far. And ironically next door to Geno's, where you HAVE to order your cheesteak in English.

Phillies game + La Lupe = Perfect Sunday afternoon. :)

June 6, 2008 at 12:56 AM · Mother's Cafe, Austin, Tx.

--a variety of tasty dishes to die for, and yet nobody does (all vegetarian all the time).

June 6, 2008 at 09:53 PM · Mike, vegetarians kick the bucket too. Sorry.

Also, I forgot The Lounge, The Porcelain Palace, Slider Heaven, yes, White Castle. I think the closest one to me is in Nashville, but when I am back in Kentucky, I like to visit the one in Beautiful Buechel, which is decidedly NOT beautiful. The coffee is the best though!

Does anybody have a good, inexpensive pizza suggestion for Chicago? Thanks.

June 7, 2008 at 04:15 AM · anywhere with good sushi

I don't know if it counts...but Starbucks always and forever, anywhere

June 7, 2008 at 06:53 AM · Oh man, sushi lifts my spirits like no other. I always feel better after a good wasabi cry.

June 7, 2008 at 01:06 PM · "A few months ago at BeWon [Portland, OR), the outstanding Korean restaurant, Calvin Trillin and Itzhak Perlman were seated at adjacent tables. That fact is celebration enough. But if we ordinary mortals want a celebration, we can have the lovely han jung shik, a traditional Korean meal originally served to the royal family. This formal dinner differs according to one's status and means, but BeWon makes it accessible with a very reasonable price tag - $25 per person for a minimum of two. It's fun to experience the splendid parade of dish following dish. Hobak-juk, a rice-and-pumpkin porridge, leads the proceedings, but interest really takes off with gu-jeol-pan, small crepes in which you wrap slivers of beef, seaweed, mushrooms, eggs and carrots. Next, a tangle of delicious sweet potato noodles. Then a choice of main courses (order the grilled rib-eye and onions), along with an assemblage of eight or nine bowls with such offerings as squid in red pepper sauce, kimchis of different heat, pan-fried mushrooms, asparagus with chiles, and other chef's whims. To dine more casually, of course, you can opt for the fine a la carte Korean menu."

June 7, 2008 at 05:23 PM · Speaking of Oregon I had great meals at South Park in Portland and Han's in Bend.

June 7, 2008 at 11:00 PM · Anne,

that was not the point--nothing to do with my health or yours.

Anyway, best we not get in a big discussion here.

all the best,

Mike

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe