What made you play the violin??

May 27, 2008 at 04:55 PM · Please share your story on how you started playing the violin .. what's your experience, feeling, inspiration..why did you started playing the violin, what you see in playing it.. please share your story..I would love to hear it :]

Replies (20)

May 27, 2008 at 07:36 PM · A few vignettes from my very early childhood:

- My parents playing violin duets, dancing to them, and having great fun! ("if violin playing can make you so happy, I want to do it, too")

- A record, in a blue sleeve, of Jascha Heifetz playing Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs; aka ZigZag) by Sarasate. It had me glued to the gramophone.

- Myself, making toy violins from cigar boxes and pieces of string (and getting very frustrated, because I could not make music on them)

May 27, 2008 at 08:57 PM · I started playing drums in junior high school, and I was driving everyone crazy with 'all that noise'. I was tired of it, too, and I just wanted to play a melodic instrument. The old 'family violin' was in the attic, so took it down and there you have it! Now I still drive everyone crazy with 'all that noise'! (Is Bach really 'noise'?)

May 28, 2008 at 02:03 AM · I started when I was 6 years old, but I didn't really enjoy it. Not that I didn't like what I was doing; to me it was just something that I learned to do so I did it.

Growing up and getting one's heart broken changed my perspective :P

May 28, 2008 at 02:06 AM · Greetings,

I wa salready hacking away with disinterest and a mediocre teacher at age 8 when I firts ehard Heifetz playing the mendelssohn on the radio. That`s when I decided I was going to be a violnist.

Alas, he caught me listenign and decided he was going to be a curmudgeon.

Cheers,

Buri

May 28, 2008 at 06:40 AM · it was definitely its versatility. i LOVE the violin and all it can do

May 28, 2008 at 07:04 AM · I was first a pianist, but I've always liked musical instruments in general. In fifth grade, some people came to recruit for the school band and orchestra program. I thought about each of the instruments and decided against wind instruments in general because I thought I was asthmatic (turns out it was hay fever). Plus, my arch-enemy Samantha Jones was going to play flute and I didn't want to end up sitting next to her.

Stringed instruments sounded nice, and when visualizing what it would be like to proposition my parents for a second instrument, I logically concluded the smaller the better. I could have just as easily tried the viola, cello, or bass, but the violin was the smallest, therefore the cheapest. For less than $400, I became a violinist.

May 29, 2008 at 03:41 PM · I sometimes wonder if certain people are just 'drawn' to certain instruments - when I told my Grandmother I was learning the violin she was really taken aback, and then told me that her uncle and grandfather had both played the violin. So maybe it is just genetic predisposition!

May 30, 2008 at 08:18 AM · I started learning piano when I was 4 years old, and my mother sent my brother and myself to a music camp when I was about 6 or 7.

I remember watching a guy named Andrew tell a hilarious story about different members of his family playing the violin different ways ie "Dad plays it over his head, and Grandma plays it like a cello..." and I just fell in love with the instrument.

They had different groups from the camp trying out different instruments to see if they liked them, but for some reason my group didn't get a go. Apparently I was so heartbroken that my mother asked if they could give my group a quick go, and they were so suprised I felt so passionately about it, they ran us over straight away, and I got my first taste at playing the violin.

I started lessons when I was 8 (that's when my parents thought it was a good age to learn), and I couldn't touch the violin until my first lesson. Boy was I itching to get into it.

Now I am lucky enough to teach it to other young and young at heart enthusiasts.

May 31, 2008 at 07:52 AM · All through primary and high school, I detested music with a passion. I squealed on the recorder, and I was forced to do tenor drums in Year 8 until I could give it up(the ones with the fluffy drumsticks whirled in the air in marching bands). I'm hearing impaired, so I avoided most loud pop music that my classmates seemed to like, and the awful 'music' that my brother listened to. I was much more content to read my books *sniff*.

Well, that all changed when I got to uni. I discovered I liked classical after hearing ballroom dance music, so I found CDs at the library to listen to while I studied. One particular CD grabbed me: Violin Concertos of the 20th Century. After listening to it, I started downloading any violin concerto I could find on the net.

It was two concertos in particular that made me fall in love with the violin. The first was the Mendelssohn, and the second was Vivaldi's A minor. When the mid-year break arrived, I told myself I would try the violin for a month; if I liked it, I would take it up in the summer holidays at the end of the year.

That was a stupid thing to tell myself ;p I went to a private music school and asked to try a violin. The next week, I had my cheap rental and was taking lessons. The next month, I changed to a better rental and found a new teacher. The month after that, I bought my own!

What was supposed to only be a month has now turned into almost a year and I'm not stopping. My inspiration is the same as it always was: the Mendelssohn and the Vivaldi A minor, but now my biggest inspiration is my teacher. I watch him play and feel excited, because I could be playing like that too if I keep at it.

May 31, 2008 at 12:01 PM · My first memory of anything to do with violins or playing music was walking into a school classroom as a small kid, and holding a wooden ruler out horizontally and rubbing it crosswise with another ruler, and humming to myself. I called out, "I'm playing violin!" to no one in particular. I have no idea why I found myself doing this. I then remember thinking, "What does the bow actually look like in real life? How does it work?".

How I remember this isolated, mundane incident I don't know, but I do.

Then nothing more until a few years later when my sister starting playing the violin. At first I didn't like the violin. Then I heard someone play it with vibrato for the first time. Instantly I was hooked. I had always listened to music on records, and had been a hummer and whistler since about 6 or 7.

May 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM · I played violin because my dad talked me into doing it instead of the clarinet.

June 1, 2008 at 11:48 PM · I was 10 years old...hated having to listen to the school orchestra concerts...but desperately wanted to play an instrument.

I tried to narrow it down to the best one for me. Well, for starters, I was short, and could barely blow up a balloon. I chose the one that was the smallest which did not require any air.

;) Thankfully I really liked it...but I did seriously consider switching to bass and viola because the competitiveness of SOOO many violins all the time was sort of a turn off. I ended up just doing violin, viola on the side, and taking up electric bass.

June 2, 2008 at 12:09 AM · In kindergarten and first grade, I watched "Bon Voyage Charlie Brown" and there is a scene where a building is burning and Woodstock is playing the violin. I thought it was so beautiful.

Not much later, I saw my friend's older sister perform at the talent show, and I was so impressed at how good she was (she's quite the fiddler still!).

Strings wasn't offered until 4th grade, but when I got there, I knew without a doubt that I wanted to play the violin. My parents and I attended the info meeting, and I was sold on the violin. My dad said he wasn't sure I should play, and that he thought it would be too hard to learn (he was a percussionist/music ed major), but I cried and said, "If you don't let me play the violin, my life will be ruined!" Then I stormed up to my room, and my parents changed their minds and let me play.

And I am ever so grateful they let me give it a go. :)

June 2, 2008 at 09:59 AM · I watched a friend play violin when I was 5, and told my mom right afterwards I wanted to "Play that thing with the stick." I started lessons at 6 and have played ever since...

June 2, 2008 at 02:09 PM · I don't know why I was attracted to the violin. My mom is a recorder/flute teacher/piano tuner, my dad was an organist, so I always had music in my life. My older sister played a bit of violin in addition to oboe, so that may have been the main influence.

But I begged to play violin when I was 9, so I was a "late starter" with the Suzuki teacher we found.

June 2, 2008 at 07:53 PM · As a 2nd grader I was forced to take violin lessons. Playing violin was a dark, embarrassing secret I kept from my friends. Though they really couldn't care less. It was all in my head. To me, violin was on par with ballet lessons. Something for sissies! To this day I don't know why I felt so strongly. I enjoyed music and was playing piano already.... At 12, after 4 terrifying years, thank God, my parents let me quit. Meanwhile I took up trumpet and enjoyed participation in the school band. I became a fairly decent trumpet player and entered college as a brass player... Freshman year, I began disliking concert and marching bands. The orchestra, always in need of larger string sections, allowed me to change my instrument to violin. I sat last chair, 2nd section. Didn't matter, because once again I changed my major course of study. This time to music theory. Violin playing was just a secondary requirement... Graduating, I put the violin back in its case for good, I believed. But at age 31, I thought, with hard work and practice, I could get a job in an orchestra. After 8 years of diligent study, I realized it was too little, too late. At 39 I quit again. By then I was a pianist, making a living playing in restaurants, parties, etc... Moving out to LA, I was hopeful about a future as a songwriter, while I believed I could support my family as a piano player. Well, I had great difficulty finding enough work as a pianist so I thought of the violin! I could be the piano player who also plays violin!... I recorded some accompaniments for myself. Picked up a small microphone and sound system. A little practice. And Voila! A steady 6 night a week gig at a romantic little restaurant in Beverly Hills.. Strolling around, entertaining the rich and famous: DeNiro, Beatty, Jimmy Stewart, Bob Dylan, Sinatra, etc.. Henry Mancini appreciated my way with popular songs. He had me provide solos on 2 of his projects. In the late 90's I finally made my own album. Signed a record deal. And currently, over 150,000 albums have been sold. Apparently, I found my talent on the violin was to play extemporaneously - interpreting popular songs. I am still at it.

June 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM · I was nine, in fourth grade, and based on aptitude displayed in our general music class, the teacher made recommendations about which instruments we should learn if we were so inclined. For me she recommended violin or cello. I desperately wanted to learn cello; I've always loved the warm, rich tones of the cello, and that was what I wanted to play. My father, may he rest in peace, felt that it was inappropriate for a young lady, because of the way you have to sit! So it was decided: I was to learn the violin. I started in the spring of fourth grade and continued all the way through high school. Over the years I learned to appreciate the beauty and dynamic range of the instrument, although my real calling seemed to be voice, and that was what my lessons were: voice.

After high school I got married and raised a family, but in 1994 I decided I wanted to pick up my instrument again. Horror of horrors, I couldn't even remember how to hold the bow after not playing for 15 years. So I started taking lessons. In 1998 I started college at the tender age of 41 as a violin major, music education, with a minor in voice.

Unfortunately, due to MS, I was not able to finish. I graduated with an AA, General Studies in 2001. But I still play, and I still take lessons. I don't know what else to say, except that I love the instrument. It's the toughest, most challenging thing I've done, except maybe raising 3 kids. :-)

June 2, 2008 at 10:30 PM · I had to stop playing guitar... 8 years later my SO decided he wanted to learn piano and asked me what instrument I would learn if I could pick any. I said violin.

I'd played duos with violinists before and gone to string quartet concerts (any chamber music with a string ensemble really) and I was always 1-kinda jealous of the way you can make a beautiful, singing line and 2-I felt excluded from a lot of really fantastic music because it just wouldn't work as a transcription.

So we bought a violin and I found a really great teacher, who happens to teach Suzuki, and I just love it. It sucks that I got such bad tendinitis way back when but I doubt I'd have picked up the violin if my circumstances had been different.

June 3, 2008 at 01:37 AM · I had a friend who I had not had contact with for a while call me up and said that they had 3 extra violins and wanted to know if I wanted one. It was really cool...so I bought and learned it. And it has led to me learning so many more instruments.

June 3, 2008 at 02:25 AM · i had some sort

of a vision

playing fiddle.

one day,it caught up to me

so i bought one.

i convinced myself that

i would learn to play the damn thing.

things went well.

learned for several years.

now,play fairly well.

along the path

i've met several others [mostly guitarists]

guitarists sometimes think its tough

to play a fiddle[i just laugh]

we play together and have tons of fun.

when you play with others

and they are in the groove

then how can you miss ?

i am a professional--i've made

at least 3 euros playing in public.

does'nt really matter

just play,

its tons of fun !!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe