Which shoulder rest?

May 24, 2008 at 08:09 PM · I've been thinking of changing up my shoulder rest lately, but I'm not sure which to experiment with. I use the basic Kun right now, but I was thinking of trying either the Kun Bravo, or the Kun Voce. Any opinions on those shoulder rests? Feel free to recommend other shoulder rests too! :-)

Replies

May 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM · Try the PSR (perfect shoulder rest).

It is a bi layer sponge shaped like a rest.

It is light, doesn't interfere much with the sound, and has the advantage of not locking the violin rigidly in place.

The main disadvantage is that it is really only a sponge and you won't be able to tell anybody for sure if you use a shoulder rest or not.

May 25, 2008 at 01:42 AM · I use the Kun Voce, but will soon have to play without it. I like it, but I don't think it's an absolute necessity in order to play. If you don't want to spend almost 60 dollars on a shoulder rest, something cheaper will definitely do the trick as well!

May 25, 2008 at 01:53 PM · Recently I switched from a basic Kun to the Wolf Forte Secundo. I found that, relative to the Wolf, the Kun fits almost too perfectly. In a subtle way it inhibited movement.

The Wolf has an aluminum strip that can be bent to fit your shoulder. I have left it flat and flexible.

I would prefer a rest that could go just a little lower, but I haven't found it yet.

Edit: just ordered the PSR :)

May 25, 2008 at 03:08 PM · Bart: with regard to the Wolf rest going lower... If you unscrew the left side (when on violin) and then turn the leg completely upside-down, and put the screw/feet back in, then the rest loses about half its height. I don't know if you knew that already or not.

May 25, 2008 at 04:20 PM · I did know, and it's still too high. But you could not know that I knew, so thanks for asking.

May 26, 2008 at 02:45 PM · Which shoulder rest works best is a very individual thing. Go to your local luthier and try a bunch. You might well not like what works for me (Playonair).

May 26, 2008 at 06:06 PM · I find the Wolfe to be great for longer-necked people like myself.

With the spacer/extender in place you can jack it up really high.

If I had a shorter neck I might like the Kun better...and it depends on the chin rest in use as well.

July 11, 2008 at 05:14 PM · My experience with the Perfect Shoulder Rest has been very good, so far. It has put an end to my search for a good fit. It provides just enough support, without the rigidity or instability of a traditional "bridge" type rest. So thank you, Michael!

Bart

July 11, 2008 at 05:38 PM · Bart,

I just tried a PSR. I liked it a lot, but found it to be too low for my giraffe like neck. I have purchased a Zerit sponge, attached nicer sponges to the bottom of it, and have discovered a most wonderful rest that is basically a custom made $7 rest! =)

July 11, 2008 at 05:57 PM · Kun is crap, imo. :P

But honestly, everybody's body is shaped so differently in the shoulder/neck region, so everyone is different regarding what shoulder reset is most comfortable. For instance, I have slender shoulders and a average length (perhaps slightly longer) neck, and so I like big shoulder rests to make my violin feel more grounded. I used the Comford Shoulder Cradle for a while but I started to feel too restricted with that so I switched to the Bonmusica which I'm very happy with (although I have to keep a cloth on the end of it because otherwise it digs into my chest and hurts me).

But with both the Bonmusica and Comford, I found that it actually opened up the sound of my violin a lot more as well. I used to have a Fom or something like that (an off brand of Kun), and it just muffled my sound a lot for some reason. Keep that in mind as well! :)

July 11, 2008 at 09:30 PM · I use the Kun as that is what suits my body. The only advice I can give you is to try as many as possible until you find the rest that suits you.

July 11, 2008 at 10:25 PM · Nate Robinson wrote: "Mr. Steiner, would you chime in on this topic?"

Thank you. I have chimed here:

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=14191

July 11, 2008 at 10:41 PM · I have a long neck as well and have been using the Wolf Secundo for some time and really like it. The height is adjustable and it collapses well. Very comfortable for me.

July 11, 2008 at 11:13 PM · The Kun Bravo is almost exactly the same as the regular kun, except with fancy wood grain that no one is going to see anyway. I haven't tried the newer one.

July 12, 2008 at 12:31 AM · Well I know this is not a shoulder rest, but at the moment I'm using a Strad pad as a shoulder pad...I know it's supposed to be a chin rest pad, but it actually works surprisingly well this way too. As far as real shoulder rests, I used a Kun for a long time and still do every now and then - for me it doesn't work as well with my new Berber chinrest as it did with a Teka. I know a lot of people seem to hate Kuns, but they can work really well for others I guess. I found it more comfortable than others such as Viva, Bon Musica, Wolf, Mach One, etc. I like the Kun Super better than the original because it is more adjustable width-wise. However, the tilt does not hold as well, at least on mine.

July 13, 2008 at 04:08 AM · You must try Il Gladio carbon fiber shoulder rests, they're really elegant looking and is the lightest in the current market! I saw them in Musikmesse last year, now they're available on-line I think. Try "Il Gladio" on google search.

July 13, 2008 at 11:05 AM · Well, my sponge combination isn't working out. Due to my violin's petite size, I'm forced to purchase a Comford.

July 15, 2008 at 05:45 PM · Hi,

I play with a Loft Sponge, from The Loft Violin Shop (www.theloftviolinshop.com/loftsponge.html). It's a shoulder rest made of foam. I attach it to the violin with elastic. In spite of the elastic is not fixing the violin in one place. You can move the shoulder rest under the elastic.

If you like to have more information to find a good shoulder rest, take a look at www.violinistinbalance.nl (all information in English).

Good luck!

July 15, 2008 at 10:44 PM · Hahn uses the wood version of the Kun now...

July 15, 2008 at 11:31 PM · Greetings,

surprised noones mentioend the Mach one. On the whole I think that s amuch bette roption than a Kun.

Cheer,s

Buri

July 16, 2008 at 08:09 PM · I use a chamois cloth, folded once in half and held in place by a rubber band. It's mostly for friction rather than support though, as it's only a few millimeters thick.

July 16, 2008 at 10:26 PM · I have tried most of the shoulder rests that ahve been available over the past 40 (or so years).

My favorite, for ME (only) is the Wolf Secondo (the non-adjustable one).

BUT, on one or two of my fiddles I usually prefer the Kun Vocé.

Some days, on some fiddles, I prefer no shoulder rest

I know lots of fine players who like the Bon Musica.

Bottom line: It is a very individual choice, best made on your own fiddle in a violin shop that has all the rests for you to compare.

2nd BOTTOM LINE. Chances are your choice of shoulder rest on any violin will depend on the CHINREST you are using. SO the first requirement is to get the right chinrest for yourself an that violin.

Andcy

July 16, 2008 at 11:17 PM · Now I like Comford. =)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe