Recommendations for Violin Concerto w/ String Orchestra

May 24, 2008 at 04:15 PM · Does anyone have any recommendations for violin solo (a concerto possibly) with string orchestra? The orchestra in which I play is seeking repertoire for our next concert. Unfortunately the conductor has an aversion to Mozart, and we've already played all the Vivaldi Concerti (well, just the Four Seasons). So do you have any ideas for pieces compatible with a chamber ensemble of sixteen violins, eight violas, four cellos, and two basses?

Replies (27)

May 24, 2008 at 05:22 PM · Mendelssohn wrote a violin concerto with string orchestra. It's a great piece.

I doubt you've played ALL the Vivaldi violin concerti since there are hundreds of them. But you could try playing other Baroque composers such as Handel Concerti Grossi and Telemann etc.

People who "don't like" Mozart can't play it or conduct it.

May 24, 2008 at 05:50 PM · Haydn violin concerto. The c major one is my favorite

May 24, 2008 at 06:47 PM · Schubert Rondo in A major for violin and string orchestra

May 24, 2008 at 08:25 PM ·

May 24, 2008 at 08:44 PM · She is likely referring to the first (solo) violin concerto in D minor. It is not on par with the second (op. 64) but is certainly a fine work and only requires string accompaniment.

The Bach concertos, though not of the stature of the 6 S/P, are still very nice too.

May 24, 2008 at 11:58 PM · I like Holst's "St. Paul's Suite", a very nice and rewarding piece of music.

May 25, 2008 at 12:39 AM · Almost any Mozart goes well with a chamber group.

May 25, 2008 at 01:13 AM · There's an arrangement of Vitali Chaconne for violin and chamber orchestra (i.e., without the organ).

May 25, 2008 at 03:40 AM ·

May 25, 2008 at 02:51 PM · There is a piece for string quartet and string orchestra called "Peninsula Suite", by Nancy Bloomer Deussen. I just played this a few weeks ago with the local youth orchestra. It is a four movement concerto grosso type piece. It is very pretty, with charming melodies, great solos, tonal (won't scare away the audience!), and really fun to play.

Also, if you are willing to add prepared piano, Arvo Part's "Tabula Rasa", for two violins, prepared piano, and string orchestra, is a stunningly beautiful piece of music.

May 25, 2008 at 04:43 PM · Janacek's Suite For Strings is very pleasant and interesting to listen to, but it's playable. Janacek did all the hard work himself in the composition.

May 25, 2008 at 05:41 PM · Bach is always awesome! You could probably get away with Lark Ascending if you could arrange some of the wind parts?! Haydn...umm Vasks wrote one.... Hovahness.... what else... hmm... I'll ponder!

May 26, 2008 at 06:46 AM · The Beethoven Romaze in F is easy to arrange for string orchestra I have made an arrangement fo the string youth orchestra that I conduct.

May 26, 2008 at 06:46 AM · The Beethoven Romaze in F is easy to arrange for string orchestra I have made an arrangement fo the string youth orchestra that I conduct.

May 26, 2008 at 08:57 AM · Shostakovich Chamber Symphonies, op.110a and op.118a, they are "official" arrangements of the string quartets #8 and #10 for string orchestra, official in the sense that Shostakovich approved them.

There are other quartets which have been arranged and performed by large string ensembles, for example Leonard Bernstein recorded some of Beethoven's late quartets with the string section of the Vienna Philharmonic, also Martinu's quartet #7 "chamber concerto" warrants a larger ensemble (as the label implies).

May 29, 2008 at 01:19 AM ·

May 29, 2008 at 10:50 PM · Arutunian wrote a violin concerto with string orchestra. I'm pretty sure I have the music (vln/pno reduction). I could be persuaded to send it to you if you're interested.

March 9, 2011 at 09:41 PM ·

The OP did ask about a concerto or solo piece. However, for a string orchestra have a look at the Suk serenade. One of the most beautiful pieces I know.

March 10, 2011 at 01:43 AM ·

I'd suggest Haydn C or G Major or the Bach A Minor... all three are great pieces and really fun to play.

Or you could play something like the Schindler's List theme. 

March 10, 2011 at 01:04 PM ·

If you're interested in modern concertos, the Vasks concerto "Distant Light" is for violin and string orchestra. Its a great work, but there are some difficult passages.

March 10, 2011 at 02:04 PM ·

This is another old post by the same original poster!!

2008 ...

December 13, 2016 at 03:09 PM · I'm reviving and re-purposing an old thread. I wish to compete in a concerto competition in the studio where I study violin. The rule is that the concerto must have an all-strings chamber-orchestra accompaniment (possibly with harpsichord, but certainly no winds or other percussion) because the "prize" for winning is a performance with the studio's all-string chamber orchestra!

So I'm writing to ask whether anyone is aware of all-strings arrangements (reductions) for any of the usual concertos that high-schoolers typically play like Vieuxtemps 4, Bruch G Minor, Mendelssohn E Minor, Saint-Sains 3, Viotti 22, Spohr No. 2, etc.

Right now the accepted list is pretty much limited to Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, and Bach -- at least that's all I've really seen played there. Pianists in the competition sometimes play Beethoven but the Beethoven VC is not within reach of any of the students in the studio, so that's rather a moot point.

December 13, 2016 at 03:51 PM · Mendelssohn d minor concerto for violin and strings!

December 13, 2016 at 08:14 PM · Mary Ellen, how difficult is that? Can you compare that to another concerto with which I might be more familiar? How does it compare, for example, to Mozart 3?

December 14, 2016 at 04:26 AM · I was wondering, how difficult is the Kreisler Concerto in the style of Vivaldi?

December 14, 2016 at 04:58 AM · Disclaimer on the Mendelssohn d minor: I have never played nor taught the piece myself, though I did hear a not-very-strong student play it once at a violin jury. The score is on IMSLP so you can make your own judgment, but it appears to me to be roughly comparable to Mozart 3.

December 14, 2016 at 01:22 PM · Mary Ellen -- thanks, that's also roughly the impression I got from reading through the score on IMSLP. Portions of it would make a good arpeggio study.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe