Is this violin worth it???

May 16, 2008 at 05:42 AM · I'm trying out a really nice handmade violin that is just tons better than my old "Suzuki Violin Co." violin. I really love the difference in sound and playability that the new violin makes, and I really think it frees up my technique considerably. However, I don't know how to explain to my parents exactly why it is worth it to shell out a pretty large chunk of money to get this violin - in other words, what specifically is it about a better violin that is making it so much easier to play? How exactly is having a good violin going to make a difference in my playing? Any specific points I should make?

Replies (49)

May 16, 2008 at 12:56 PM · Mary,

I think you'll get a much better response if you re-post this, and change the title to "How can I convince my parents to..."

That would be an interesting thread. Your current title (because it's worded incorrectly) sounds like a beginner asking a pretty silly question.

May 16, 2008 at 01:50 PM · I think it would help to explain a bit more about your skill level, where you want to go with the violin (i.e. professional), and a how much the violin costs. Also your parents might not be able to afford it. I know no matter how good my child was at the violin I couldn't afford a $10,000 violin for her.

I mean if you're on Suzuki book 2 and want a $5,000 violin from your parents that would always be a tough sell.

May 16, 2008 at 03:13 PM · Mary

Its definately a tough call. I was away on business and my friend who was selling on behalf of the company we worked for at the time was so frustrated as a player and father when a little girl had the most amazing talent and her father just would not recognise the fact and do the best thing by her. In away you need to try and tell your parents that playing is your future and everything you are. In tems of the instrument structually, the cheaper manufactured instruments are machine made from lower quality timber and not thicknessed in a way to make the instrument perform. An instrument made by a professional is carefully calcullated, graduated in the thicknesses depending upon the density of wood to get the best resonance, all the measurement are correct so it feels right to you when you move your hand for a position you get the note you want not a flat or high. The varnish is usually of a higher quality and the set up itself should be spot on so the optimum sound is achieved from the instrument. Essentially it is an investment not only into an instrument but your future. Good luck!

May 16, 2008 at 03:32 PM · Your teacher needs to have a chat with your parents. If you are ready for an upgrade, your teacher should be helping you pick from instruments in your price range. Good luck!

May 16, 2008 at 03:32 PM · Mary,

Instruments are priced based on name, age and condition. They aren't priced based upon sound - which is so subjective anyway. If I were you, I'd try lots and lots of instruments and see if you can run across a bargain (one without a name, perhaps not in the greatest condition, but sounds great). If you can find something like that, convincing your parents to buy it for you will be much easier. Talk to them and try to get a sense of what they'd be willing to pay. You'll learn something in the process, and it will also be a wise investment - everyone wants a good sounding instrument.

May 16, 2008 at 04:01 PM · play both side-by-side for them. That may do it.

May 16, 2008 at 04:32 PM · I'm playing the devil here.

So you play them side by side and one sounds much better than the other. The parent acknowledges that, and then he says- so what, you are not going to be professional anyway, it is only for fun, so why spend so much money on it?

Then what do you say?

May 17, 2008 at 09:38 PM · Or you say you want to be a professional but your parents say, "Well, you can practice on this one even though it's not as good. It won't kill you."

May 17, 2008 at 09:56 PM · You can race a 53´ semi-truck at Indy 500.

But just because you can, doesn´t mean that it is a good idea--or that you´ll be able to get anywhere.

Yes, a professional can get even a junker violin to sound decent. But it takes GREAT skill, knowledge, and subtlety to pull off bending a poor instrument to your will. But to develop said skill, you need to start off with instruments that will do your bidding easily. Having to FIGHT an instrument only leads to BAD habits--the longer you do the more ingrained they become.

Remember-Louis Spohr and Nicolo Paganini, the great virtuosi they were, were unheard of....until wealthy patrons gifted them del Gesú instruments.

May 18, 2008 at 01:16 AM · You haven't said how much this violin costs and if it would be easily affordable for your parents. Do you have sisters/brothers who might reasonably ask for comparable gifts if you got the violin? Your parents may have burdens you are not aware of...

May 18, 2008 at 01:28 AM · I bought it [his Guadganini] back in 1984. At that time, I was still playing the $750 factory cello that I'd had had as a kid -- I won every competition in my life on that factory instrument. But people were saying, "You gotta upgrade." This is a quote from Carter Brey. He eventually did upgrade but as you can see did fine on his factory cello.

May 18, 2008 at 02:29 AM · I went through this a few months ago with my parents! Dad has always been a thrifty man and has alot to show for it, and so he asked the million dollar question, "Well.. what's so wrong with the violin you've got?" Thanks to my teacher he put it streight out, "The violin that you have now will not allow you to progress because it just will not do what you need a violin to do to advance." Mom said O.K., we went to a luthier that happened to be in Colorado Springs, and found a great violin under a $1000.00. Dr. Pinell was impressed with it and it's what I need at this time. He really enjoyed it's playability and sound as do I so the suggestion to have the teacher talk to the parents for a step up "With In Their Price Range" so far seems to be the best option.

ps: My Dad is the cheif engineer at Ft. Carson and the Air Force Accademy, AND Cheyenne Mountain and Mom said, "Don't worry son we can help you out more than enough for a nice violin!"

I'm 43 years old. Mary, you'll never grow too old in your parent's eyes! :)

May 18, 2008 at 03:35 AM · My parents almost had fits when I purchased my current viola. Got the same "what is wrong with your old one?" I simply told them that this is what I want to do to make myself happy. This all happened in my late 30's. :)

After getting a few recordings from me on my new viola, they don't question my decision anymore. But then again, alot of that may also be due to all the practice and lessons I'm getting right now. :)

May 19, 2008 at 05:13 PM · Thanks everyone for your responses!

Michael Baer: You have a good point, and just for the record, I auditioned and got 3rd chair out of 40 or so in my (pretty high level) youth orchestra.

But even though I can usually pull it off, it's really, really hard to get a decent sound out of my $200 dollar current violin.

May 19, 2008 at 05:36 PM · Mary,

Just some questions to ask yourself: Do you plan to play violin in college? What role does music play in your life now? What role do you wish for music to play in your life as an adult? How much time and energy do you put into your violin practice? Where are you in your solo repertoire? Does your private teacher think you have outgrown your current violin, technique-wise?

I have a somewhat relevant personal story to relate: My son, who was 12 at the time, was playing a turn-of the century German factory made violin. This is a nice instrument for fiddling and for an intermediate student, but not an advanced violin student. His teacher told me that we did not need to invest in a better instrument for him - that he would never be good enough to make it worth it. I fired him as a teacher for this and other reasons, and my husband and I bought the best instrument we could afford for our son, even taking out a loan to do so. I felt that he was so sincere in his effort to become a good player, and loved music so much that it would be appropriate to honor this in him. He has said for years that he aspires to become a musician. I also knew he produced a much more satisfying sound, volume wise and tone-wise on the nicer instruments he tried. I felt that he was on the cusp of an explosion of technical ability. I could already see the signs.

Two years, a new violin, and a new teacher later, he just took second place in the NC Symphony Youth Concerto Competition playing the Khachaturian Violin Concerto. This is the biggest, state-wide concerto competition in North Carolina. First place went to a phenomenal cellist. In addition, my son was awarded the $1000 Mallarme Artistic Excellence award which he split with a college junior, a saxophonist. The violin made a big difference and it is evident that our son was worth the investment, but we would have thought so even if he had not won anything.

May 19, 2008 at 05:59 PM · Mary,

I took for granted playing on a decent violin when I was in highschool, as I had the support of my teacher (who convinced my parents that a music store special would do nothing to advance my burgeoning musical talent) ... Where does your teacher stand?

With that said, there are very few highschool-aged players (some prodigies included) who 'need' a $3000 violin, especially when in today's market, there are so many quality violins in the $1000-$2500 price range.

Another thing to consider .... how much money are you willing to earn to assist in the purchase? Maybe your parents would entertain matching your contribution?

I would agree that you've probably stretched the limits of your $200 Suzuki special, particularly if you want to take your musical endeavours to college.

As others have cautioned, don't get stuck on a single violin -- especially if you haven't sampled a bunch to get a good idea for the spectrum of tonal qualities available within your price range.

PJ

Phoenix, AZ

BlueLine String Players

May 19, 2008 at 07:43 PM · Mary, I too ask, "How far are you going to go with this?" Do you plan that the violin will be prominant in furthering your education towards a career? Or like many of us at V.com, we love the instrument and we practice and work as if we were Hiefetz or Oistrach, or Hahn or De Lay (Sp?) themselves? And again restate what your teacher(s) have recomended if have already?

May 19, 2008 at 07:30 PM · As a violin dad, I too, like Jennifer, would fire a teacher that had so little expectations from students.

the idea though of expecting a parent to borrow to purchase a violin is probably too much to ask. I don't know your parent's financial means, but for many parents, even a $1500 violin is out of reach.

but if your playing on $200 violin, your self-motivated to practice daily(which I consider more important than an expensive violin), and you are definityly advancing, then you definitly need a better violin and BOW.

I went through several student violins with my son (from $150 and $550). As we spent more, I did hear a significant improvement in sound. My son's current violin cost $1600. We also invested in a $350 bow, new case, etc.

Keep in mind that your parents would need to invest in a New Violin, BOW, case, possibly shoulder rest. Remember too, lessons with an excelent teacher (more dollars). Depending on your parents finances, and if you have other siblings, this could be a significant financial outlay (or burden). Also you did not mention if your ready for a full size violin yet. If your still in fractional sizes, asking to buy an expensive violin now will just add to the financial burden, since then you will shortly move up to a larger size.

After an approximate price range of $1000 to $2,500 just for a decent new violin, your practicing, motivation, determination, PASSION, and of course an excellent teacher at this stage is far, far more important.

There are many anecdotes of parents buying very expensive equipment for their children who then go on to achieve, there are just as many kids who were just as successful on less.

As long as the violin is of sufficient quality (much better than a $200 bigginers violin), PASSION, practice, etc will take you a very, very long way.

May 19, 2008 at 08:03 PM · I suspect that Jennifer's son achieved, not so much because of the significant cost that she went through, but the PASSION and hard work her son put into the violin. As parents, we can so easily get wrapped up in the equipment side of the situation and forget it is the child who has to do it in order to excel.

May 19, 2008 at 08:12 PM · a bad instrument feels like it is fighting with you. A good instrument feels as if it is working with you and helping you to excel. Basically a good instrument is set up better, crafted better, sounds better.

May 19, 2008 at 08:20 PM · You should consider renting a nicer instrument, for example from Potter's violins or other similar shop where your rent applies to the purchase of the instrument but could also be applied toward another instrument in the shop. These shops can mail an instrument to you for rental on your approval. You can also trade up to larger sizes as you grow. A Deutch violin, from Potter's shop was about $32 per month a few years ago.

I also second the comments that a good private teacher is really essential to progress on the violin.

May 20, 2008 at 02:59 AM · Call me stubborn, but I would NEVER EVER rent a violin, unless it was to bridge a short term temporary situation such as while traveling or while shopping for a violin. Whether you own or rent the instrument you use for regular practise makes a very big difference to motivation, especially for a child.

May 20, 2008 at 03:13 AM · You have a point about the psychology of renting, although in our experience, the fact that we intended to use our rent toward the purchase of a nice instrument meant that we were serious about investing in our child's musical growth.

Especially for fractional sizes it makes a lot of sense to rent. The Deutch violin that we rented was substantially better than Suzuki Etudes or other beginning instruments one can find in the catalogues. If it means that you can play a much better instrument and pay over time, it makes sense. We ultimately traded up to a viola for use in quartet, and purchased a very nice violin made by a living master luthier.

May 20, 2008 at 03:29 AM · I agree with Benjamin that owning an instrument boosts motivation. I rented for six months just to see if I liked playing the violin after that I wanted my own. Owning an instrument is definitely a lot funner for us instant gratification people.

I came into a bit of money and was going to buy a nicer violin. But instead I'm going to take the $4,000 I alloted myself and put it into a CD to collect interest for a few years. Then I figure I can get an even better violin...

May 20, 2008 at 11:21 AM · For a parent with a child in fractional sizes, in most cases, renting is a better choice, especially with a shop that allows for applying some of the rent to purchase. With growth spurts, a child can sometimes outgrow a violin amazingly fast. For some children, buying at some point can be a motivating factor. Most parents can tell if their children are truly motivated or not, irregardles of rent vs buy. I always find such an amazing difference in opinions/suggestions between those with children and those without.

May 20, 2008 at 12:02 PM · I still wouldn't rent. It may seem at first sight that it makes financial sense but does it make sense educationally? I doubt that.

If I am concerned about financial loss, I'd look to buy an instrument which can retain most of its financial value, this may be as simple as buying from a shop which provides a buy back guarantee. Shar for example provide such a guarantee.

May 20, 2008 at 01:11 PM · I have 2 kids playing fractional sizes.

I won't rent. 2 reasons :

(1) older kid can pass down to younger kid, so I get 2X mileage out of it

(2) kids are rough, they sometimes scratch/dent the violins (esp the outside edge of the violin next to the f hole, when they do certain bowing). I rather not do that to rental ones.

Also kids do get very attached to their violins. It becomes part of them.

But renting with the idea of buying it in the future may be a good idea for the more expensive models. I may consider that route for the 3/4 size (1 size away for my older kid).

May 20, 2008 at 04:42 PM · Every family is different, number of kids who want to play violin, money, etc. One size fits all doesn't exist. In the past I have used the word never, and it later it bites me in the behind. Each family has to choose what is right for them. In my case I have only one child, so hand me downs was not an option. I rented his first violin (1/2 size) since children often say they want to do something, but don't always follow through. Parents whose children start earlier, going through all the fractional sizes can become expensive. We bought his second (3/4) and then traded up to a full size. As we moved up in size and he showed greater interest, we spent more on the violin. His current violin may only cost $1600, but is more than sufficient for him through high school and beyond. If he shows real passion, dedication, and actually gets to the next level in playing I will support him with a better instrument, but this is still tempered by budget contraints.

May 20, 2008 at 04:43 PM · I use the words "always" and "never" very rarely and then very carefully. But this is one of those cases where I am happy to use never, thus confident it actually means never, but I didn't say that this has to be soo for others, too. I just presented it as a different viewpoint from that which had been offered on this thread prior to my post.

May 20, 2008 at 04:56 PM · If your working real hard to get good tone on your current violin and your good enough to be 3rd chair, then it is definitly time to get a better violin.

Playability and much easier to get a good tone may be the key phrase with your parents. When a instrument works with you, making good music is so much easier. If your spending so much of your playing basically fighting with your violin to get a good sound, then this is possibly the difference between being 3rd or potentially better. Its not a given, but a possibility. A good instrument is also a joy to practice on, which should result in getting better faster.

Also if your still using a starter bow, a better bow can also make a big difference.

May 20, 2008 at 05:01 PM · Benjamin,

Not sure if you have kids, but you might change your tune if/when they start violin. I always recommend to parents to rent for the first few months in case the child suddenly wants to quit.

Terry,

It's not entirely true that violins aren't priced on sound. While there is some amount of subjectivity, it's not 100%. There is some sort of rough consensus as to what sounds good and what doesn't, and an experienced dealer will be able to make that initial judgement and price accordingly. Often, the violins that have sound problems will price themselves by sitting in the shop for an extended time: while a buyer may eventually appear, it will take longer and the price will be lower.

Mary,

There are some things a lower-quality instrument simply will not do, and those are in particular double stops, and very high spots, especially on the lower strings. I was reviewing Paganini # 2 this week, and there's a good example starting at bar 29. I've been using my 2nd violin (#1 is in the shop), and I think I'll just give up till I get my better fiddle back. There's absolutely no way to make the passage sound good. Gives me a headache, actually. Another good example is the poco piu lento section before E in the Tchaikovsky concerto. With a cheap fiddle, the double stops sound grating and just plain ugly. The same applies to the chords in any Bach sonata. I have a high school student that has a mediocre violin which doesn't speak easily, and it discourages her from practicing her double stops. I don't blame her--on this instrument the task becomes almost impossible.

Scott

May 20, 2008 at 05:13 PM · Its OK to ask, but it also helps if your parents hear and see you practice often and with desire. More likely to get a better instrument by doing, not talking. If they see your passion for the violin, then they may be more conducive to buying you a new one.

It may be too much to ask your parents for a $10K or more violin, but they may help with a let say $1500 violin. Even this would be a huge step up from your current instrument

May 20, 2008 at 05:21 PM · For the violin I would always rent for at least six months, if they stick with it past that and are practicing then I would buy for them. That's what I did myself...

I just blew nearly $300 on an electric guitar and amp for my 7 year old son, he's had three lessons and aside from those he's touched it maybe once. And that was because I forced him. This piece of junk has no resale so I'm basically stuck with a jr. Fender, and tiny marshall amp and cable. Oh well Hopefully my son in my wifes belly wants to play the guitar...

But as far as owning, I definitely think it has a psychological factor on learning too. It is motivating to play on an instrument you can get attached too and love.

May 20, 2008 at 05:37 PM · I agree Michael, abt the psychological effect of owning.

Me and my 5 year old (he started at 3, still going very strong) spent quite some time looking at the pictures of violins at the website before ordering. When the UPS truck came, he was estatic.

He was playing a hand me down second-hand Suzuki, which I suspect is made from some sort of plywood, fake purfling, and the shoulder rest just wouldnt stick.

Now he plays with much better tone and sensitivity, and is able to produce nice soft sounds when required(yes, the difference is there, even with a 1/8 size). I also got him a carbon bow. He is a really happy kid now.

To me as a parent, it is worth every cent.

May 20, 2008 at 06:00 PM · there is an old saying I've learned the hard way with my son. I'm sure there is a similar saying in every culture

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink

Now I just try to provide an opportunity to exceed, ata boys when he does well, and be silent (very hard) when he fails. And listen to him without being judgemental. Not the easiest now that he is a teen

May 21, 2008 at 03:04 AM · Michael, I think we need a thread for parents of teen violinists. It is a very tricky developmental stage to parent.

May 21, 2008 at 05:12 AM · "Not sure if you have kids, but you might change your tune if/when they start violin. I always recommend to parents to rent for the first few months in case the child suddenly wants to quit."

No, Scott, I used the word "never" very consciously and in this case it means I am more than confident that I won't change my "tune".

First, even if I agree this is a purely financial matter only (and I don't) then still I cannot find renting to have any financial merit over buying. Maybe where you are renting is dirt cheap and the shops you rent from credit you 100% of the rent towards a reasonably priced good instrument when you decide to buy. Here in Japan, this is not the case. Not only is renting expensive, but also, you don't get the full amount credited towards purchase and to add insult to injury, the instruments available for purchase are ridiculously overpriced. It is all designed to create an illusion that you are not wasting your money while you rent.

Let's assume you need to get a bigger instrument once a year and the lowest rent is 50 USD, that means 600 USD capital expenditure per annum. Let's further assume they credit 70% of the rent towards future purchase and that the instruments available for purchase are marked up 300%. You will accumulate 420 USD per year but due to the markup, those 420 USD are only worth 140 USD. The unrecoverable cost will be 600-140=460 USD per annum. Even if the markup is only 200%, that still degrades your 420 USD down to 210 USD, thus resulting in unrecoverable cost of 390 USD per annum.

Now, if you take that 390 to 460 USD you spend unrecoverably on the rental deal per year and buy a violin once a year, then your child will own the instrument at the very same cost and if you can find a shop which accepts trade ins, you can reduce the unrecoverable cost, perhaps 40-60%. There are some decent student instruments available from various sources in the price range just under 500 USD. For example, the aforementioned Shar, or Gliga (although the latter without a trade-in policy).

Secondly, I totally disagree the notion that my investment is wasted if my child gives up the instrument. I made an investment in the child, not the instrument. The child will have learned and grown from the experience, regardless of whether or not it will continue to study.

For example, Michael's 7 year old son who wouldn't touch the 300 USD e-guitar outfit more than once, even he will have learned an important lesson in life. First, he will have learned that his father trusts in him and what he wants to do even if he doesn't always deserve it. Second, he will have learned something about responsibility, maybe not instantly, but eventually it will sink in. His father spent 300 USD and he blew it, he was not living up to the responsibility that spending a significant bit of money demands. Very important lesson! Finally there will come a day when he will admire somebody else who is playing the guitar very well and he will think by himself "Whoa, I wish I could play like this. Dang, if only I had taken advantage of that guitar my father bought for me when I was 7". In other words, he will have learned something about himself. All this is part of the return of investment put into children. Money well spent!!!

May 21, 2008 at 06:47 PM · Ben: sorry, but I had a good laugh reading your last post. Intelectual reasoning usually get squashed with the first tantrum.

I try to provide my son with many opportunities. I view each situation from the perspective of buy, rent, borrow. Each opportunity is different. Children tend to be very fickle about what they want to do. Their attention span on a particular activity can last seconds or a lifetime. Children tend to express an interest in 100s of activities, but very few last more than a few lessons. To buy everything they want will bankrupt me and leave a room full of stuff collecting dust. The advice to rent first to test the childs interest is a very good idea.

For the guitar tryout with the forced practice, these kinds of situations don't provide positive learning. If anything they learn Dad will buy anything I want, money grows on trees, etc. Bad feelings for both parent and child, and the money feels wasted. Been there done that and don't want to repeat.

May 21, 2008 at 07:24 PM · Just to clarify I don't force him to practice, I set aside 20 minutes for him to practice I don't lord over him insisting he practice but urge to him to give it a shot. Very few 7 year olds will take it upon themselves to set up a practice routine.

As for buying the guitar and everything else, yeah I'll never do that again. I'm going to take it and give it a Church charity to sell or something. If he wants to take up the guitar again, he can take any money earned from birthdays, 1st Communion etc... and buy a cheap one to practice with. I'll never buy anything on a whim thinking he wants to do it, he has the attention span of an ant. he wants to do a ton of things until he sees how hard they are then he loses interest. He loves sports and has no problem practicing baseball for 8 hours a day. Music just isn't his thing yet, I think he needs to get a little older.

May 21, 2008 at 09:41 PM · I'm doing the waiting thing too. And still waiting, and waiting, and...

May 24, 2008 at 02:46 AM · When my daughter was small, we rented her violin, BUT we went with a violin shop with quality, well-set up instruments. Once she got to the 3/4 size, I had refurbished one that has been in my family, ditto for the full size. The 3/4 instrument has quite a good sound for a small instrument - even her conductor commented on that. I've put it on consignment at our local violin shop, because I can't stand to see it sit there unplayed until the next child in the family *might* want to play violin! Trouble is, nobody wants to spend $1,500 on a 3/4 instrument!

June 9, 2008 at 05:05 PM · Now, Michael, ants are hardworking respectable creatures. :)

Mary,

When I go back to violins I have used in the past, I am simply aghast. I don't know how I ever put up with them; they fight me every step of the way. You shouldn't have to force your technique around the instrument's shortcomings. Your equipment needs to help you move forward, not hold you back.

Imagine trying to wear the same clothes you wore five or ten years ago. There may be nothing "wrong" with the clothes per se, but you've outgrown them. Your technical and psychological growth is not necessarily as obvious as your physical growth, but it is just as real.

Your parents also may not realize that, according to the conventional wisdom, violins are a good investment. Provided they aren't damaged, they don't depreciate like a car, which is worth far less the moment you drive it off the lot. (What they do have in common with cars is that you should shop around and not trust every salesman you meet.)

Please feel free to print this out and show your parents. For what it's worth, I have been playing for almost 14 years.

June 9, 2008 at 05:52 PM · "Well, you can practice on this one even though it's not as good. It won't kill you."

My old one might not have killed me, but it probably would have given me some nasty carpal tunnel. It's so big for my petite frame that it literally hurts to play it even as a spare for a couple days.

June 9, 2008 at 06:01 PM · I thought of something else (I could go on and on about this subject!). You didn't mention your age, but you sound like you could be ready to play gigs and make that violin start paying you back, which is an option even if you don't ultimately pursue a career in music. Do you think you have a better chance of earning your supper with the $200 Suzuki that doesn't suit you, or the more expensive one that does?

June 10, 2008 at 06:28 PM · Good points Nicole. Mary can improve her argument from "give this to me 'cause I want it for all these reasons" to "good investments help pay for themselves". And you can prove it, Mary, to some extent, by selling the old violin/getting as much or more than you paid and contributing that to the purchase of the new. Perhaps you should do that to be rid of a problematic fiddle, and rent something better from your teacher or a local store untill you can "move up". Do you have siblings who might reasonably want a similar gift if you succeed? That could be a big factor in your violin future. All the best, Carol

June 11, 2008 at 04:02 PM · wow im going to hit you guys up for a loan! with the gas prices i might be playing a violin from toys r us lol

June 11, 2008 at 07:04 PM · Dan, don't mistake me for a wealthy person. :) I'm praying for an eventual return on my investment in the form of a good job.

June 12, 2008 at 02:58 AM · i would say look on ebay at yita music , i have bought many violins from them and they are amazing and not over 400 bucks

June 13, 2008 at 03:58 PM · For anyone in Mary's position who has a real financial need: Go to the new Lindsay Deutsch interview on Caeli's blog, click on the Classics Alive link, from the menu on that site, pick Programs, and check out the Instrument Loan program for talented players with financial need.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe