Gifts of Appreciation for Teacher

May 5, 2008 at 05:11 PM · Teacher Appreciation week is coming up and I would like to give gifts to my kids music teachers. There are several teachers on this forum so I am asking what do you enjoy receiving the most?

A bouquet of flowers? Gift card? Gift certificate? Something else?

Replies (27)

May 5, 2008 at 05:35 PM · Wow it's so nice that you'd like to get gifts for your children's music teachers. Working in public school I find that to be very rare, although I do remember when I was young I was adamant about getting my teachers gifts. You could ask your kids for ideas as they may have some insight into what they would enjoy most.

There are some things I would stay away from. Cash gifts, and gifts that are way too expensive. Set a price such as 10-20 dollars or even less, and don't go beyond that. I once received earrings that I knew to be expensive and that was a bit strange and uncomfortable. Also stay away from gifts that are too personal such as clothing etc.

Things I have enjoyed receiving: gift certificates for pedicure, movie passes, wine, homebaked goods. But remember than even if you can only give something small like a trinket or a candle that we value the thought more so than anything.

May 5, 2008 at 05:33 PM · The other weekend I baked a cake, homemade, following an old family recipe, three hours of hard work went into that. I gave half of it to my violin teacher and she was very pleasantly surprised cause that sort of thing is rather unusual.

May 5, 2008 at 05:56 PM · A nice card is always appreciated. Handmade cards are the cutest.

May 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM · Benjamin, why didn't you give her the whole cake? Or if you wanted some for yourself as well why didn't you double the recipe and make 2?

May 6, 2008 at 02:15 AM · Depending on the teacher, I sometimes try to find a book (such as Arnold Steinhardt's "Violin Dreams") or a CD (a new violin-release that isn't already in their collection.) Home-baked goods are great, but some teachers don't have a sweet tooth. Likewise, fresh-cut flowers from your own garden are a pleasant, thoughtful, and inexpensive thank-you...but if you see the teacher in a studio instead of her/his own home, you have to think of the awkwardness of the teacher having to transport some unwieldy flowers or potted plant home. A CD or book is tidy and easy to transport (or regift if s/he has a copy already.)

May 6, 2008 at 02:53 AM · Marina, I am not sure if you are trying to tease me or not, so I will treat this as a serious question.

Food portions here in Japan are tiny. A typical piece of cake in a Japanese cafe is about 60-80 grams and the mold I have is for 14 large European sized slices 2-3 times Japanese size.

I didn't specifically make the cake for my teacher, I just thought it would be nice to bring some of it to my next lesson when I made it. If I had made the cake specifically for her and given her the whole lot, its size would have been a little over the top. But yes, I have been meaning to get two smaller size molds of the same type so I can give away a whole cake to friends and family ;-)

May 6, 2008 at 03:29 PM · The best gift I ever got as a teacher...

My student walked in one day and gave me a HUGE grin and said "I practiced a lot" and then played a three-octave scale with great tone and a lovely vibrato. And then said she enjoyed doing it.

That's all we really want ^^

May 6, 2008 at 08:48 PM · Thanks for asking this question, I was just going to post a discussion about this! I'm graduating this month, and would like to give my teacher something special. He's taught me since I was 9, and is much closer to me than my uncle. Any suggestions for a middle-aged, Eastern European man??? I'm clueless.

May 6, 2008 at 10:42 PM · Greetings,

my students all give me socks because they know within two or three lessons that I am somehow unable to keep matching sets together however hard I try. I`m sure it`s the cat...

Cheers,

Buri

May 7, 2008 at 02:02 AM · My last teacher got flowers and a one-of-a-kind hand bag designed and made by myself. For my current teacher, since we are like girl friends now, so they are anything ranging from hand-made crafts, girly stuff I brought from China to lunch I made at home.

May 7, 2008 at 04:23 AM · A primary grade student of mine (when I was a violin teacher) came into the class first thing one morning with an enormous chocolate cake, for us to have during the lesson. I will never forget that. Other presents were Christmas cards, usually hand made, with To Mr O'brein or Mr OBrin or other unusual spellings, and hand drawings of us all standing there with our violins. Also little presents in packages, chocolates and things. A small plastic cross I still have. There were Easter eggs at Easter time. High school students would sometimes give me sweets at end of year too. Many happy memories of my time as a school violin teacher!

The students all chipped in and gave me a soft bear (or was it a puppy - I still have it somewhere), holding a red heart with "A+ teacher" on it when I finished up at one school. The school principal also gave me a silver pen. When I was bereaved I was sent many many cards of support. I must say I will never forget their kindness.

Remembering all this makes me think of going back to teaching one day.

May 7, 2008 at 03:28 AM · Buri, the Sock Solution is quite simple, once your students start giving you Cat Socks. Many, many pairs of Cat Socks, merrily decorated with little cats. End of problem.

May 7, 2008 at 03:46 AM · I always thought it as making a bold fashion statement by wearing mismatched socks.

May 7, 2008 at 06:27 AM · depends where you wear them.

May 7, 2008 at 08:48 AM · Give me a coffee shop punch card. I can think of nothing else better than this.

May 7, 2008 at 01:22 PM · You mean a filled punch card, or an empty one? :)

May 7, 2008 at 01:36 PM · Great ideas and suggestions. Thank you!

May 7, 2008 at 01:56 PM · Yeah, Emily is right. Coffee card. The thought is there and so is the tangible reward we all really enjoy.

The other thing I always really love is a hand made card.

Hmm...now that I am thinking about it chocolate is always good too.

I guess most anything that shows our students appreciate us is nice...

May 7, 2008 at 02:11 PM · Not everyone drinks coffee. (!!! it's true !!!)

But still a good gift.

I rarely get gifts any longer (public school teacher), but over the past few years the majority of gifts have been certificates to the car wash. Good gift, I think, though I was always too lazy to use them.

I also got a gift card for the book store once--I think that's a good gift as well.

A card with a personal message (more than just "Thanks for lessons! signed, student") is something I appreciate very much. I don't need monetary things/objects.

Oh yeah, christmas ornaments have been a popular gift, too.

May 7, 2008 at 03:53 PM · I am a very strong opponent against coorporate megaconglamorates like Starbucks so if I ever got a coffee card I would smile politely and then burn it - although what purpose would that serve I guess... still I wouldn't like it but I guess this is not the right forum for social activism.

Buri, if you were my teacher I'd get you prunes.

May 7, 2008 at 03:59 PM · To quote someone else on a different forum:

"Last week I had a student bring me two of my favorite things in the whole world: red wine, and white wine."

Teachers love gifts! Even if it's something they don't need/can't use, we love the fact that someone got (or made) us something.

I agree with the $10-20 price range, and no cash. A $10 or $15 Starbucks card is the closest thing to cash I'd recommend.

May 7, 2008 at 04:06 PM · I just moved into a new apartment, and have begun my life as a financially independent person! My favorite gift:

chocolate chip cookies :)

1. yummy!

2. free dessert! =)

;)

I also like gift cards, as long as they're $10 or less.

Coffee cards (like Starbucks) I give to my parents, who give me cash instead, because I don't drink coffee...

May 7, 2008 at 06:30 PM · Starbucks are now serving coffee?

May 8, 2008 at 12:43 PM · I once got a pen from a young pupil which had "Zykanthos" on it (the Greek Island) where she'd been on holiday, was nice to have something from abroad (even if it was very tacky!)

I've had mugs, chocolate, ties, numerous cards with heartfelt message (always very nice to have) and extra cash from the parents of the pupils I teach privately.

Oh and numerous bottles of wine, which is my favourite thing to receive as I'm Scottish ;-)

May 8, 2008 at 01:06 PM · You mean Zakynthos

May 9, 2008 at 08:24 AM · You know if your teacher is a coffee drinker because they will be drinking coffee when you see them. This is when a coffee card gift is a no-brainer.

Someone gave me a gift certificate to a local nursery to pick out a hanging basket of flowers. Very nice, very much appreciated.

I also like when students make me cards and pictures.

May 9, 2008 at 11:04 AM · My teacher had rickety wire music stand that had stood in his studio for I'm guessing at least 30 years. I ordered a Manhasset stand shipped to Norway from the US as a Christmas present. His remark of "This is great. I really should have changed that stand earlier" was an understatement.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe