Strings Survey/Poll

May 5, 2008 at 05:13 PM · I've created a "Violin Strings Poll" as I'm curious what brand of strings most people use. Please go to this link There are only two questions.

Replies (32)

May 5, 2008 at 05:20 PM · Most of my playing has been with Dominants and a Gold label E. And then Zyex. After I bought my Eastman violin it came with Dominants and they felt like silk and melted under my fingers like chocolate! The over tones are incredible (this newest violin of mine was a Luthier's son's personal violin and he set it up nice!) I gave the zyex a try with it and I lost the over tones and the sound was way too dark and dull. The Zyex also didn't feel comfortable under my fingers either. So I switched back to the Dominants. My teacher told me that Larsens are his new favorites and have all the best that the Dominants have and more, so I'm waiting for a set of Larsens to come in my mail box and I'll give them a try.(almost every where I looked Larsens were on back order). He gave me a Westminster E to try and man does it project. Good sound but not a good ballance with the Dominants that I have on it so I'm going back to my Gold Label E.

May 5, 2008 at 06:08 PM · I wish there is a website that sells Dominants in bulk at discounted prices.. Ha ha...

May 5, 2008 at 06:10 PM · I have used Pirastro Gold; now I am experimenting with Dominants, Vision, and Corelli Crystal strings. Will probably go back to Pirastro Gold.

May 5, 2008 at 06:19 PM · I use Kaplan strings G,D,A with a Hill E string. I enjoy the slightly slower response of gut strings and the Hill has an almost buttery sound on my fiddle.

May 5, 2008 at 06:23 PM · I'm in love with the Passiones. My wife won't let me close the door to the practice room anymore, she wants to listen now.

May 5, 2008 at 06:45 PM · I love my Evah Pirazzi strings, although I think they sound better on older violins.

May 5, 2008 at 07:17 PM · Someone said, either here or on another site, to tune your present strings up half a tone and play, then down a half tone and play. Whichever sounds better gives you a starting point for new strings. If the violin sounds best at higher tension look for high tension strings like the Evas, or if lower, than Passiones or Obligatos.

May 5, 2008 at 07:31 PM · I have always used the Pirastro Gold label E with Dominants. This combination works beautifully on my violin!

May 5, 2008 at 09:21 PM · Larsen Tzigane. Dominants, but they get shredded in three weeks. Tziganes cost more, but I can keep them for six weeks.

May 5, 2008 at 11:25 PM · I almost always use Dominant, but it's a tad pricey.

May 6, 2008 at 03:12 AM · I'm looking for a E String that doesn't whistle so much. My Pirastro Oliv is giving me trouble, yet I like the brilliance and strong tone of the Oliv.

I'm hoping to get as many people as possible to participate in the survey.

May 6, 2008 at 03:44 AM · Passione and Titanium Vision Solo. Eudoxa on a fiddle with a baroque setup.

May 6, 2008 at 11:21 PM · stay away from oliv e's. they break easily.

i use dominants and the orch visions if i am pressed for time and cannot wait for the 5 day + break in period of the regular dominants. piastro gold e medium.

May 6, 2008 at 11:38 PM · My experience with Oliv E is the exact opposite. They last very long for me, and it's been a year since I put it on, and it still sounds good as new.

Oliv A is hell in string format though.

May 7, 2008 at 12:22 AM · Ray- Thanks for the tip about checking ones violin in regards high or lower tention strings!

May 7, 2008 at 12:23 AM · I tried the Oliv A, it never really stablilized, I think part of it was just the heat of my hand stretching the gut as I played, but the Oliv G&D are excellent on my violin. :)

May 7, 2008 at 12:37 AM · Pirazzis. Have tried a bunch (Vision Titanium, Dominant, Olive, Obligato) on my fiddle and I always come back to these.

May 7, 2008 at 03:27 AM · Hey--one quick note. There's no way to vote more than once with your poll, so there's no way to share what setups you use if you have multiple instruments. I recently tried Infeld Reds on my "good" violin (with a GoldBrokat E), and I think they sound great. However, I also use Helicores on my outdoor fiddle because they brighten up a less responsive instrument.

May 7, 2008 at 01:33 PM · Currently Larsen Tzigane although I will experiment whenever a new, perhaps better, string is developed and marketed.

May 7, 2008 at 01:48 PM · I like many E's -- including Oliv E's, and I've never had one break.

May 7, 2008 at 02:17 PM · I still use Dominants mainly. I have some Evah Pirazzi's--they're OK but I don't hear a huge difference in sound. It's too much work and too expensive futzing around with all these different brands trying to find a magic combo. I've always come back to the simplicity and cost effectiveness of Dominants over the years.

May 7, 2008 at 02:48 PM · I like Pirazzi G & D with Titanium Solo A & E for solo concerts. Used this combo for my senior recital last Saturday.

I like Dominant G,D,A with Gold Label or Passione E best for overall sound.

I also like Obligatos with gold E or Passione E for a change of pace, but their prices have skyrocketed.

May 10, 2008 at 12:36 AM · I use the green Evah Pirazzis. I used Dominants with my old violin because Pirazzis didn't seem to work well with it. My current violin rings a lot more with Pirazzis.

June 18, 2008 at 03:24 PM · I used Evahs for a while.

June 18, 2008 at 03:20 PM · I posted here before, but I tried a new method of experimentation. Find a string I like, for each string, and stick with it. Doing this, I've developed a LOVE for:

Passione E

Tonica D&A

Larsen G

But on a Juzek violin, I like Tonica G,D,A and Gold Label E...

July 7, 2008 at 07:13 PM · I used Evahs for about 4 years before Pirastro came out with Wondertone, which I love to pieces.

July 7, 2008 at 07:51 PM · Eudoxa all over. The E is a whistling nightmare, though, and I'm waiting for a delivery of a try-out bunch (Goldbrokat, Pirastro Gold Label, Pirastro Passione, Hill) to see which one I prefer.

July 8, 2008 at 02:19 AM · Back a year or two, I used Evah Pirazzi's,

but I didn't realize how metallic, and almost unnatural they sounded on my instrument, until I was forced to use dominants.

I'm extremely happy with dominants, and a medium Gold Brokat E string.

July 8, 2008 at 03:51 AM · Evahs, with a gold E. They sound great on my fiddle for Irish music, which was actually a big surprise, because my fiddle is quite bright, and the sound I like for Irish is quite dark.

July 9, 2008 at 03:02 PM · Does anyone know of a brand of "D" string which is responsive and which can match the volume level of a very robust "G" string ??

My violin's "G" string is extraordinary and you can really tell the difference when a passage is passed from the G to the D string.

July 9, 2008 at 03:11 PM · Ted, which G string are you using?

July 9, 2008 at 03:12 PM · Eudoxa G & D, Gamut Academie A, Gold Label E.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe