I need you guys to give me input-string market research questions

April 22, 2008 at 04:46 PM · Hey Everyone!

I haven't been on in a while but am glad to be back. I was busy with preparation for a concert tour in China which I just returned from and of course with my studies at IU.

A few members on here know that I sell strings (violin, viola and cello) on a small scale at the lowest prices anywhere. At the moment I have a limited selection of only the more popular strings (pirazzi, vision titanium, spirocore (cello) etc)

I want to add Passione as many people wish to try them but are put off by the high price. The only issue is that I can only get a hold of the Medium gauge. I wanted to know how many people use the Medium gauge or would use it if a set only cost them $77 (shipped) as opposed to the $92 that Shar charges.

I'll have many more questions coming in the near future as well so stay tuned and keep your input coming.

Thanks,

Emmanuel

Replies (24)

April 22, 2008 at 05:07 PM · I'd say to start off by offering low prices on the mainstream ones, (Evah, Dominants, etc) then on the more expensive ones which people are often discouraged from trying due to price (Olivs, Passione, etc)

I miss the days when a set of Olivs would cost me 50$ :(

April 22, 2008 at 05:14 PM · Hi Friend!!!!

I'd grab Passiones from you at $77 (shipped)-I prefer the large gauges all around though. Johnson String used to have them at that price-but they since have gone up to what Shar charges in the last month or so.

April 22, 2008 at 10:31 PM · I would be happy to pay $77 for medium gauge Passiones.

April 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM · Well I'm getting some ideas. I already am selling Pirazzi and Vision Titanium solo.

I needed to know if people would buy cheap Medium gauge Passione or if they would rather pay way more for the heavy gauge. Considering Mediums still sound amazing I think it's safe to say I'll stock Mediums.

I will have my site up pretty soon. At the moment it's just a facebook group and of course very well known around Jacobs Music School.

April 23, 2008 at 12:39 AM · I love the mediums, but would the heavier gauges sound even better?

April 23, 2008 at 12:53 AM · So far the strings we use here are Passione and Titanium Vusion Solo. Dominants to some degree, but they're sort of boring.

Stock a bunch of different e strings; maybe have a special package deal where you sell a whole selection of different e strings for the neurotic experimenter folks. I'd buy into that.

April 23, 2008 at 01:30 AM · What is your facebook url?

April 23, 2008 at 01:47 AM · For $77 I'll try out the Passiones too, $95 was too much but $77 is just ten bucks more than the Evah's... Why not right?

April 23, 2008 at 06:00 AM · Is there a problem getting heavy gauge Passiones?

April 23, 2008 at 12:05 PM · ^

MANY shops have issues getting the heavy gauge...heck my local violin store can't even GET the Passiones at ALL. For sometime the heavies were out of stock at Johnson String, I also snoop and shop from a dealer in Califronia, and he can only get the Passione medium gauge, and drop ship them-but he is unable to keep a stock of them.

April 23, 2008 at 01:06 PM · Like Marc said, Heavys aren't easy to come by. But from my particular supply, I generally can only get medium gauge SETS of strings. The exception is of course cello strings as 90% of cellists use the Spirocore Tungsten C/G and Larsen Solist D/A combination.

I will certainly ask about the E strings anyway but can't guarantee anything.

For those that were asking my Facebook group is located here.

Get your strings cheap

Right now I'm terribly busy with finals preparation (not prepared at all though) so I won't have time to put up my site. You can view it already but you won't find much. www.iustrings.com

April 24, 2008 at 12:46 AM · Be careful with that website. Possibly you're aware of Juststrings.com? I'm no legal eagle, but the two are awfully close. Might be a problem?

April 24, 2008 at 01:21 AM · Hey Bob, I appreciate your concern but Juststrings doesn't look anything like my site; my site isn't even up yet. They sell a lot more than I intend to, and of course at a much higher price.

For reference I sell Evah Pirazzi at $52 a set plus actual shipping costs ($2-$5 depending on what you want) whereas they're selling them more than what Shar sells them at.

Just sit tight and I'll have my site up within a week. For now though I have 3 finals tomorrow and can't be bothered by Evah or Vision ;)

Thanks for all the input and support and keep it coming.

-Emmanuel

April 24, 2008 at 04:28 AM · It was just the similarity of names that struck my attention.

I look fwd to patronising your site. Try for some heavy Passiones.

May 10, 2008 at 09:48 AM · Hey Everyone! Thanks for your input so far. I am pleased to announce that my site has finally gone live. You can view it at www.iustrings.com

I'd appreciate any further comments and input you have. Also please do tell you friends about it. I'll have a list of some of my clients up in the reviews part pretty soon, including Alex Kerr, Mark Kaplan and Weavers Violins.

Thanks,

Emmanuel

May 10, 2008 at 11:05 AM · hmmm,,, 2 years ago when I wanted to post a question about providing free samples to research a new string, I was mightily rebuffed. so, has v-com now changed to permit commercial interests?

May 10, 2008 at 01:53 PM · Great prices! I think I might try the vision titanium solo.

May 10, 2008 at 04:21 PM · I love what you're doing. Once you expand your selection I'll definitely order all my strings from you

May 10, 2008 at 08:53 PM · Way to go, Emmanuel, I'll spread the word about your site. Why do the heavier gauge Passiones cost that much more? Just curious.

Thanks.

May 10, 2008 at 09:34 PM · Personally, my biggest beef about online string buying is the often ludicrous amount of postage that is charged - usually way over the actual cost per weight.

If any online merchant offers a deal where "free postage if you spend over X on strings" or else simply charge EXACTLY what it does cost to post strings/plus cost of the jiffy bag they come in - I'd most definitely be considering them as a priority when I stock up on my spare string sets.

May 11, 2008 at 05:20 AM · I agree with Bob about having a package deal of different brands of E strings. I think it would be a great idea!

December 28, 2015 at 07:20 PM · Ordered Strings from IUStrings on Dec 14. As of Dec 28 they have not arrived. Website did not respond to my request for information. If IU is going to school you would think he would be around during Christmas.

December 28, 2015 at 11:55 PM · Original post was from 2008....

December 29, 2015 at 09:23 PM · But the website is still there.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe