Watch and Hear the Menuhin Competition Live via the web

April 11, 2008 at 04:33 PM · The Menuhin Competition will be streaming live performances starting this weekend.

It might prove to be interesting.

Will someone kindly google it and post the link?

Replies (69)

April 11, 2008 at 05:03 PM · Here's the main website:

http://www.menuhincompetition.org/

and here is the link to where the live streaming will be:

http://menuhin.rwcmd.ac.uk/watch_live/index.asp

Thanks for reminding about this - should be some cool playing to watch and then dissect in great detail on here!

April 11, 2008 at 05:33 PM · Anyone know when the next Indianpolis competition will be?

April 13, 2008 at 11:17 AM · Wow,

Some great playing going on. Doesn't seem to be much interest on v.com!

I hear Ray Chen play magnificently yesterday morning. This morning completes the senior division. Tomorrow and Tuesday starts the Junior Division.

April 13, 2008 at 12:38 PM · Thanks for the link Rosalind! And here it is in clickable form: http://menuhin.rwcmd.ac.uk/watch_live/index.asp

Neil

April 13, 2008 at 01:06 PM · The really interesting thing about a competition like this is the variety in experience levels and development - and the different approaches people have taken to get to where they are. I find this much more striking here than at some of the bigger competitions, where the majority of performers are already 'fully-formed' and often mid-career. I've only listened to a couple of performances (supposed to be practicing 8 hours a day myself), but I'll definitely get to more. Lots of talent out there.

April 13, 2008 at 10:50 PM · Thusfar I've enjoyed Sveridov very much. I've also liked Bisengaliev though I wish his Paganini intonation was a bit more spot on--he seems a formidable performer qua performer. He also seems to me to be taking risks which I found impressive given the type of venue. Chen was also quite impressive though he seems to me to play rather hard on the instrument, and he also strikes me as being more straight laced than the other two in his playing, more of the competition style of playing I expect. Of the others I found a lot of talent but I'll reserve judgement.

I've just gone back and listened to some of the players again. Sveridov struck me as a thoroughly mature musician something I could not say about many of the others. I felt as though I was watching a completely finished artist and no one else gave me quite that exuberant assuredness. I suspect he may not win because he seems quite young to me and many times they reserve younger players for another year and another trial by fire, but I found him absolutely delightful. Only Bisengaliev gave me that feeling and then only in the Zigeuner Caprice.

April 13, 2008 at 05:15 PM · AGH! QUICKTIME!

Jake, I presume the next IVCI will be in 2009.

April 14, 2008 at 01:29 AM · Really? I think it's every 4 years, since that's how long the winner gets loaned that prize Strad, no?

Either way, I can't wait. The last one was magnificent to follow. So much talent out there!

April 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM · Zoe Martin-Doike is is a close friend of mine!!!

great competition this year...

April 14, 2008 at 01:00 PM · The

Junior rounds have begun...

April 14, 2008 at 01:02 PM · go chad

April 14, 2008 at 02:02 PM · just heard sviridov's first round. good stuff.

April 14, 2008 at 03:09 PM · I agree, Dmitri Smirnov played really well. I really enjoyed Maia Cabeza, too. (and yes, GO CHAD!) ;-)

April 14, 2008 at 05:29 PM · Anyone know the prizewinners for the Senior division?

April 14, 2008 at 09:55 PM · http://www.menuhincompetition.org/SENIOR-SEMI-FINALISTS.html

April 14, 2008 at 10:54 PM · Didn't see this note until now; thank you for the heads up, David.

April 14, 2008 at 11:09 PM · Small children shouldn't be allowed to be this good, what the heck...

April 15, 2008 at 06:07 PM · Wow.. I just finished listening to Chad Hoopes on the Menuhin Competition website. He has done an astounding job! Good luck and keep up the great work!

Watch Chad perform

April 15, 2008 at 11:09 PM · There is SUCH amazing talent in this competition! Wow! The finals may be VERY interesting!

April 16, 2008 at 10:33 AM · Senior Finals going on. Junior Finals starting Friday...

April 17, 2008 at 12:39 AM · Is anyone following this?

April 17, 2008 at 02:32 AM · I am! lol

April 17, 2008 at 03:42 AM · These kids are all so ridiculously gifted! It's incredible. I haven't really watched/listened to hardly any of the performances, but I did listen to Maia Cabeza and thought she played fantastically well--I'm a little surprised she didn't make it to the next round...

April 17, 2008 at 04:17 AM · Me too David! And thanks Matthew for the link.

April 17, 2008 at 01:30 PM · Mr russell!

how do you listen to it!? they are all so fantastic that it is confusing! :)

can you share with us lowly creatures what you look for when judging a competition? don't want no trade secrets, just some general guidelines, please?

by the way, chad (your student i take?) is so good that he has the charm and elegance of a different era. that chubby cheek and sweet smile remind me of the young itzhak/rubin. and he has his exquisite playing to back it up too!

April 17, 2008 at 02:57 PM · Everytime I check on it there's noting going on. When I click on watch again the screen changes and then nothing happens and nothing to click on to make it work. Oh well.

April 17, 2008 at 03:02 PM · ray, on the watch it again page, there should be a list of players and the names are clickable. toward the bottom of the page, there are semi final performances.

try again, or is it your computer? :)

April 17, 2008 at 07:21 PM · Hyeyoon Park was out!? Compare her performance with one of the 4 finalists yesterday, it's simply absurd...

April 17, 2008 at 08:33 PM · hey all! thanks for ur support mr russell!

April 17, 2008 at 08:45 PM · Ray, I just watched your performance in the first round. You really should share your practice routine with us lesser mortals, I'd kill to play Bach half as well as you do!

April 17, 2008 at 09:51 PM · Ray! I recognize you as a frequent poster. I can't find info on the site past the semi-finals, but if you're still in, good luck! And if you aren't still in, you made the semis!

:)

April 17, 2008 at 10:00 PM · You've been sounding absolutely marvelous, Ray! Congratulations! Please say hi to Chad for me. I'll be writing him soon.

April 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM · Just back from Cardiff where I have been watching live. (Unfortunately I am working tomorrow so couldn't stay for the finals.)

The standard this year is incredible and a different 'ball park' from when I was last visiting the competition 4 years ago in London. I would be hard put to choose from the 4 finalists, but I must say I was impressed by Jiafeng Chen from the start. However I didn't see all the first round. I'm sure the streamed over the net version must pale after seeing these guys live.

So I didn't see Ray until the semis, and yes it was a great performance. Evgeny Svirodov I thought was better in the semis than the first round.

The judges are saying that they are all technically brilliant, the differentiating factor is only their interpretation and musicality. For sure I would not want to be choosing.

Thanks to all of you in violinist.com land who have been in the competition, you have provided me in the last week with some stunning performances.

April 18, 2008 at 12:31 PM · I am envious of you, Jane! I so wanted to be in Cardiff with my student, but many things prevented it this time.

How wonderful that the competition has a gathered such wonderfully talented violinists this year! It seems to be a really special event this time around.

April 18, 2008 at 02:00 PM · Junior Finals are being streamed as I write this.

Wonderful playing by the young Matsumodo girl. Dmitri Smirnoff is next, then Chad Hoopes will play. Good luck to everybody!

April 18, 2008 at 06:29 PM · wow, so much incredible talent going on in this competition!

in the junior category: so much skill at such young ages! i agree with those above, chad is a cute kid and plays impressively... but he had some pretty scary memory slips in the sarasate, i think it might be unfair if he still wins a prize now, after mistakes like those...its too bad, never fun to have those things happen in a performance :(

in the senior category: all 4 are impressive of course, but IMHO jiafeng chen stands out as the best -- wonderful young player. also really liked stella chen and her carmen fantasy (love that piece).

one thing i am curious about is how do they judge without considering the difficulty of the repertoire? i mean, given the ranges of the concertos you can play... if one plays mendelssohn perfectly, and another plays tchaikovsky perfectly, how is it fair for the one that played mendelssohn to win playing the easier piece? and yet, at the same time, if the mendelssohn person is playing it as well as is humanly possible, they also shouldnt be faulted for their repertoire choice, should they? hmm all in all, i do not envy the judges of this competition!

April 18, 2008 at 07:33 PM · actually i just joined violinist.com

i think that theres another Ray Chen on here who posts regularly..

April 18, 2008 at 10:29 PM · wow! anyone else catch the junior results? chad hoopes won! and dimitri smirnov got 2nd. cant remember the rest. well i thought the memory slips might do chad in but im really happy for him -- great player, lots of potential!

senior finals tomorrow arent gonna be live-streamed apparently? thats too bad...

April 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM · Congratulations to Chad and Mr. Russell. All the best.

April 19, 2008 at 01:22 AM · Wow, congrats to Chad!!!!!! And to you Mr. Russell!

I wish they would upload the performances faster....

April 19, 2008 at 03:20 AM · Wow!

Thank you. I'm so happy for him.

Also congratulations to Mr. Cerone! (We teach Chad together). How marvelous!

April 19, 2008 at 04:59 AM · I haven't downloaded the bit with the slip up yet, but what I loved about watching Chad was that he didn't seem to be struggling or fighting or tryig to overcome playing the violin. Extradordinary as the others were, they didn't portray the same relaxation and confident knowledge of where they and and their instrument sat. Congratulations. I'm inspired to go and relax even more while practising.

April 19, 2008 at 10:11 AM · concur sharelle. congrads to chad and mr russell. chad's personality lovingly and naturally shines through his music.

April 20, 2008 at 12:44 AM · **Edited**

Senior Division:

First prize: Ray Chen

Second prize: Jiafeng Chen

Third prize: Evgeny Sviridov ( Also given the prize for best Bach performance)

Fourth prize: Stella Chen

Junior Division:

First prize: Chad Hoopes

Second prize: Dmitry Smirnov

Third prize: Mindy Chen

Fourth prize: Ke Zhu

Fifth prize: Seohyun Lim

Composer's prize: Yu-ah Ok

Congrats to the prizewinners, and also to all of the other contestants!

April 19, 2008 at 10:20 PM · anybody know the senior prizewinners yet?

April 20, 2008 at 12:07 PM · Ray Chen has won the Senior Division! Congratulations Ray! You sounded absolutely wonderful!

Wow! I wish I could be at the concert tonight to hear you and Chad! ...with you in spirit, though!

Again, congratulations to you and all the contestants. This competition was amazing!

April 20, 2008 at 03:38 PM · Chen? Are they all siblings?

April 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM · Chen is a very common Chinese family name, especially in Hongkong, Taiwan and other southern parts of China. As most of earlier Chinese immigrants were from those regions, we also see a lot of Chen in North America and other parts of the world.

Congratulations, Ray, Chad and Mr. Russell! Mr. Russell, you probably predicated the results way before the announcement?

April 20, 2008 at 05:41 PM · I saw Chad's video of Schubert in one of the earlier rounds--absolutely lovely. Schubert is one of my Desert Island Composers and to see someone as young as Chad playing it and so obviously loving it just warms my heart. I'm so glad to see that he won!!

April 20, 2008 at 09:20 PM · Wow! Enjoyed watching Ray and Chad perform.Your best is yet to come. Really big talents this year.Mr. Cerone and Mr. Russell are having a great year! Congratulations again.

April 20, 2008 at 10:02 PM · Congrats to both Chad, Ray, and Mr. Cerone and Mr. Russell! :) Very deserving prizes...

April 20, 2008 at 10:17 PM · Thanks Andrew! I'm looking forward to hearing your Brahms Sonatas when you come back to Cleveland.

By the way--more congratulations are due.... an earlier poster on this thread, Matthew Vaughan just today won the Columbus Symphony Concerto Competition and will play Introd. and Rondo Capriccioso at a later date! Bravo Matthew!

April 21, 2008 at 02:51 AM · This is really cool, you can watch any of the performances again on this website. By the way, if anyone is going to the performance tonight, we'd love to hear about it....

April 21, 2008 at 03:03 AM · Congrats to Ray, Chad, Mr. Cerone, and Mr. Russel!

Does anyone know when the website archives will be updated with the senior finals performances?

April 21, 2008 at 07:02 AM · Thanks everybody :D

i have no idea if they're putting up the finals on the internet.. i think the idea was to not have live streaming so that ppl would turn up for the finals (and buy tickets perhaps..)

April 21, 2008 at 07:17 AM · Congrats, Ray, and Matthew too! I haven't seen any of it. It would require me to change my operating system to xpsp2 or vista. The IT BOYS at the Royal Welch College of Music & Drama don't win any prizes.

April 21, 2008 at 07:28 AM · so whats the deal with not being able to watch it? because my host family here hasnt been able to watch any of the previous rounds either...

they have windows vista as well..

seems like alot of ppl have been having problems with this..

April 21, 2008 at 08:09 AM · It says Quicktime 7 is required. I started to install it on my XP computer and then it said I needed to install service pack 2 for XP before it would work. I'm just sp1. My '98 computer, forget it. I'd have to buy XP for it, then upgrade it to sp2 :)

I don't know why Vista wouldn't work, except that I've read people saying it's squirrelly. Make sure they try to install Quicktime 7 though, then it might work. Just an extra step, with a link to it on the same page. Vista and xpsp2 people can probably see it then. People shouldn't have change their operating system to see a video. Plenty of good old protocols to use that don't place outrageous demands.

May 3, 2008 at 07:28 AM · I read the interview with Ray Chen and noted the comment about instruments. Well Ray, it seems that you use quite a bit of bow pressure, so even Strads may not be the best for you. Perhaps you should just ask Mr Rosand to borrow his del Gesu, and the next Queen Elizabeth could be yours :)

May 3, 2008 at 02:02 PM · As I'm watching today the video is ahead of the audio. This didn't happen on my computer when I watched some of the junior part of the competition. I've tried changing the speeds of the QuickTime plugins. Any ideas from those of you who know computers?

April 18, 2010 at 05:51 AM ·

The 2010 competition in starts at April 18 in Oslo:

http://www.nmh.no/menuhincompetition2010

April 19, 2010 at 01:48 PM ·

I have been watching the seniors' first round yesterday and today.  So far I like the look of Timothy Chooi, but have not heard them all yet, still catching up on some past performances from yesterday.  There is certainly some talent around.

Juniors' first round starts tomorrow.

BW

Jx

April 19, 2010 at 04:56 PM ·

Thanks Jane for the update! Good to hear that Timmy is doing well. He is from our city and( we have the same teacher in fact) I watched him playing many times. He is an amazing player. I've got some problem viewing the live stream here so I haven't been able to watch the whole thing. Could you send the proper link for the earlier performances you have a different one? Thanks!

April 20, 2010 at 07:36 AM ·

@Yixi  Have sent you the link via Facebook:)  Timmy is through to the next round :)

Semi-finalists are:

Ji Won Song
Christopher Tun Andersen
Joanna Emilia Kreft
Suyeon Kang
Ji Yoon Lee
Eric Gratz
A. Timothy Chooi
Nigel Armstrong
Xiang Yu

April 20, 2010 at 04:51 PM ·

Got it! Thanks Jane! You made my day!

Yixi

xoxo

April 21, 2010 at 10:57 PM ·

Gotta love all this modern technology  :-)

April 25, 2010 at 01:41 AM ·

Congratulations to all for such wonderful performances!  A special congratulations to Ji-Won! :-)

Yaay! :-)

April 26, 2010 at 02:25 AM ·

They are all so inspiring and wht a feast to watch! Congratulations to you too, Mr. Russell!

February 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM · I resurrect this thread as I think it is fitting while the 2014 Menuhin competition is taking place and as I'm typing, the jury is deliberating who'll be the senior semi-finalists. I went to the 2012 competition in Beijing as an audience member. Some of you might have read my blogs. It was a tremendous experience. This year's competition seems me to be much stiffer than the last one. Very exciting and inspiring to watch. Live stream site is here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/menuhincompetition2014

Edit: The senior semi-finalists are:

Minami Yoshida

Aaron Timothy Chooi

Christine Seohyun Lim

Stephen Waarts

Zeyu Victor Li

Stephen Kim

Ji-Won Song

William Hagen

InMo Yang

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe