Looking to buy a 7/8th size violin

March 10, 2008 at 04:28 AM · I've checked the older discussions on the topic of 7/8th size violins and thought I might try to get more updated information. I'm looking to buy a 7/8th size violin - mostly to have a spare instrument. (I currently play on an old German 7/8th which I'm very happy with.) Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on makers or reliable shops for this size instrument? My price range is around $1,000.

Thanks to all for any help you can give.

Replies (21)

March 10, 2008 at 04:32 AM · you may want to check out Gliga USA in Pasadena, their online store has a full refund policy

March 10, 2008 at 01:44 PM · I suspect most shops have 7/8ths, or full-size but extra-light or narrow, pass through from time to time, but have not heard of anyone keeping them as a regular item. Maybe sending e-mails to shops who list here and in the string publications, saying what you would like to purchase, and asking to be informed?? You may have a tough time at the price you are hoping to spend, unfortunately. Sue

March 10, 2008 at 01:58 PM · Anton Krutz of KC Strings makes wonderful 7/8 size violins.

One of my students just played a concerto with orchestra using one and the sound projected quite well over the orchestra.

http://www.kcstrings.com

Good luck!

March 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM · > You may have a tough time at the price you are hoping to spend, unfortunately.

Not necessarily. Cut out the middlemen and you can buy a 4000 or 5000 USD instrument for about 1000-1200 USD. It is no secret that the violin business is dominated by out of control price fixing, endemic bribing and outrageous markups.

This is one reason why I suggested Gliga earlier in this thread. They make their instruments in Romania, a country with low wages which reduces their production cost. Then, those instruments which they sell under their own brand name they sell directly to end customers through Gliga USA's online shop without any middlemen in between.

This results in affordable instruments which are qualitatively comparable to others which sell at 2, 3 or 4 times the price. For example the Maestro series violins start around 1000 USD and if you ask anyone who didn't know about them before, they will tell you that they had assumed you paid several times the price you actually paid.

There are other such workshops in lower cost countries which operate in a similar fashion and offer very affordable instruments of decent quality. If you do your research diligently you should be able to find a very decent instrument within a 1000 USD budget.

One note of caution though in respect of bows. If you don't already have a decent bow, don't expect to get a similar value-for-money deal on the bows that are often sold alongside those instruments. These bows are just cheap throw-in items. Buy your bow separately from a different source.

March 12, 2008 at 05:37 PM · Hi Rae-Ann,

The Eastman 305 comes in 7/8 which would be right in your price range. For a little more you could consider Doetsch at $1,770 or Jay Haide at $2,400.

Clayton March

www.JohnsonString.com

March 12, 2008 at 11:15 PM · I recently purchased a 7/8th size for only $795 as an experiment. Now I have fallen in love with the size and feel of this instrument. I don't think this particular instrument is of sufficient quality to work for me in the long run. My full size is an Ernst Heinrick Roth valued at about $4,500 to $6,500, which I have played for 40 years.

My plan at this point is to find a nicer instrument, of the 7/8th size, and hope for a price in the $3,500 to $5,000 range.

I understand Scott Cao sells 7/8ths violins for about $700. That might be a good starting point for someone.

March 16, 2008 at 09:24 PM · Sincere thanks for all the suggestions. I did email several violin shops and, surprisingly (or not) they don't have 7/8ths. However, there are a few in Manhattan and I'm going to try to get there tomorrow to try 3 out. Does anyone have any experience with Snow instruments? I will post again after I've tried these instruments, just for completion sake on this thread. Thanks again.

March 16, 2008 at 10:58 PM · Keep me posted on your quest. I'm on the west coast and remain very interested in that size.

March 17, 2008 at 03:41 AM · No 7/8s available? I just counted five 7/8s at http://www.violinslover.com/gligaviolins7_8.php

March 17, 2008 at 04:43 AM · The Snow Violin appears to have good reputations. Searching this site using "snow violin" as key words yields some information. I purchased a 7/8 Snow violin (SV400) last year and was very satisfied by its tonal quality.

March 18, 2008 at 02:51 AM · Well, I traveled into Manhattan today and tried out 8 violins in 3 different shops. (2 were small full sizes - not 7/8ths.) 1 was a Snow PV800 (?), 2 were from Atelier Landon, 1 was an older German and the others were?? I really didn't like any of them enough to even take them home on trial. I know I'm picky about the sound and in the range of 1 to 2 - or even 3 - thousand there was nothing that I would want to play on. Boo hoo. I will say that out of all of them, the Snow was the best but it wasn't an instrument with any... soul? character? I think I'm about to resort to ebay. I think I'd rather pay $500 - $1,000 for a so-so instrument than $2,000. We'll see what comes up. thank goodness I at least have 1 violin that I love!

March 18, 2008 at 03:04 AM · Like I said, Anton Krutz of KC strings makes great fiddles, including 7/8th size.

http://www.kcstrings.com

best of luck to you!

March 20, 2008 at 11:34 PM · To William:

Aren't his (Krutz) violins priced at around $12,000? Do you suppose his 7/8th size instruments are similarly priced?

March 20, 2008 at 11:35 PM · Rae-Ann:

How was the appearance of the Snow PV 800? Were you impressed with the workmanship and quality of the materials.

March 20, 2008 at 11:41 PM · Greetings,

perhaps obne could divide the 12000 dollars by 8 and then deduct one unit to get the cost of a 7/8?

Just a thought,

Buri

March 21, 2008 at 01:03 AM · ""perhaps obne could divide the 12000 dollars by 8 and then deduct one unit to get the cost of a 7/8?

Just a thought"

For a handmade instrument, it takes the same amount of time and skills to make a 7/8 or a full size or even a 3/4. So mostly, there is no discount for size. That assumes there are no corners cut. Which is why most violin makers don't make fractional size violins, except for their own kids, maybe.

March 21, 2008 at 01:13 AM · Greetings,

I love it when my wet humor is responded to with dry humor.;)

Cheers,

Buri

March 21, 2008 at 01:35 AM · Here, here!! Actually you divide by 8 and then multiply by 7.

It's an interesting thing: some people tell you that 7/8ths aren't a good investment, no one wants them, you'll never get your money back if you sell, etc. Other people tell you good ones are difficult to find and highly desirable. Usually the dealers who have a few in stock tell you the latter.

I did try a Snow PV800 (a used one) and it was very nice looking, appeared well made, and didn't sound bad but it wasn't the sound I love. (It's tough when you're comparing the sound to a lovely, older instrument.) Having said that, of the 8 instruments I tried that day, some old and some new, it was, by far, the nicest. It was that dealer who told me they sell lots of 7/8ths. I'm still thinking about that one and if nothing else turns up in the near future (and if they still have it in their inventory) I may take the plunge.

March 21, 2008 at 01:36 AM · ""I love it when my wet humor is responded to with dry humor.;)""

That's funny,my neighbor says I'm all wet. ;)

March 21, 2008 at 02:15 AM · The 7/8 size used by my student was a Williams and Krutz. I think they are around 6K.

Like I said, it sounded great, and projected very well over the orchestra.

March 21, 2008 at 07:18 PM · Hi, you may want to try a Clement and Weise 7/8 violin. I have one that I use occasionally when I have neck and shoulder problems and it has a phenomenal sound! I'm in the UK and they retail at about £1000 at the moment. Sorry I can't give you the name of US stockists but I'm sure if you google them you'll find everything you need.

Good luck.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe