Let's create a V.Com CD featuring the 4 or 5 best soloists on this site

March 6, 2008 at 04:34 PM · I am now in L.A and in the last two days I hear two huge players who are on this site. I have also heard CDs of a few other players who are on this site, which are unreal. I propose that we start some kind of donation trust fund thing, get a recording studio to put up the time free, get many of us to play accompaniment and then get some of these unrecorded soloist types to record over what we do. It could take years to put together, but would it not be great to have a CD of the great soloists that are on V.Com

Just yesterday I heard Holland and Boucher play duets in a small club in Hollywood. What those guys did was unreal and they had not ever rehearsed! I thought I was listening to Perlman and Zukerman, or better!

Then there is the tape of Emil C. that was sent to me....he sounds unreal on it.

And then there is D. Jenson, who to me is the best player on the planet.

How could many of us gather together to do this. A lot of planning would be needed so someone would need to champion it. Maybe it could be done at the next VSA thing.

How many of you who can really play would be willing to give up some of your time to do this? I would, how bout you?

Replies (50)

March 6, 2008 at 04:35 PM · It's a great idea, but there would be a few things to overcome....

I know that I'm in the union, and I imagine most of the people who can play are as well. So creating a recording would require a sponsor, or probably several. I wouldn't ask professional musicians to do it for free. Then, there's distribution...

Anyone?

March 6, 2008 at 09:38 PM · There goes Laurie throwing logic and maturity at it. Takes all the fun out of fantisizing!

March 6, 2008 at 10:45 PM · I hadn't heard of Jenson before, so looked her up just now ... and wow, it's a surprise to me that she isn't more popular. Such gorgeous tone and such sizzling emotion!

And it's nice to see a modern soloist who doesn't use a shoulder rest.

March 6, 2008 at 11:35 PM · The idea is great! Why don't we consider doing it online? I.e. preparing really good mastered recordings in terms of recording and sound quality, but _not_ putting in on a CD as a basic medium? We live in 21th century. Thousands of people are trying to force recording companies to treat Internet seriously, providing high quality (not even MP3, but lossless FLAC or Monkey's Audio) recording on sale on-line. The biggest machine ever is slowly moving towards it, with Deutsche Grammophon being one of the best examples out there. It's much easier to overcome odds of distribution and advertisement that way.

From lossless FLAC files everone can make a perfect CD (with no loss whatsoever comparing to the original tracks). We can, of course, also provide original CD's as an addition, but not rely on them completely.

What do you think?

Mateusz

March 7, 2008 at 04:37 AM · Laurie,

I am saying we should do it for free....I know I would be willing to do so. As for distribution, well my bet is if we record it, someone will pick it up.

Just for fun, how many of you who can really play would be willing to lay tracks down for free for a project like this for V.com

Three great reasons to do this: One, we would get a chance to back 4 or 5 world class soloists on tape (played with many live, never on tape!), second, we would be perhaps helping these soloists get some of the recognition that is due to them....third, V.com means a lot to many of us! which means you give back to those who have given to you lastly, it would be a hell of a lot of fun

To me the biggest problem would be organizing it because so many of us live in different places...but how many will be at this year's VSA?

We would also need to get these soloists in on it, or others this good that are on this site...maybe I'll get on this right away!

March 7, 2008 at 06:17 PM · sounds like this thing just needs a bunch of money thrown at it, and it is often surprising how something can get a head of steam and start collection money.

Andreas can you email me: I would love to know more about the players you mentioned. I know about Jenson and I love her playing are the others as good?

March 7, 2008 at 07:14 PM · The money is not necesarily that big. It is not impossible to find people with professional equipment who could do that for fun and for free. I guess even among V.com users there are some, who are using good mics and have the abilities to make a decent, production quality recording.

Engaging a professional studio and technicians would need money - but i guess we can all do it by ourselves!

March 10, 2008 at 04:21 AM · The Amati Foundation has looked at a similar project, recording with the National Symphony and the total cost to record, produce, but not print CDs was about $140,000-$160,000. Doing the project overseas where there are no unions reduced it to $80,000-$100,000. This was with a top-notch producer like David Frost and the violin soloist donating their time.

What would be interesting would be if the orchestra could be convinced to create this at no cost. That would dramatically lessen the fees. Or perhaps the route to take is to create a recital collection and find a solid pianist to donate his/her time to the project. Perhaps there could be 6 soloists, each performing 3 pieces. Put the finished pieces on iTunes, Violinist.com, etc. and approach a label for distribution.

If someone knows a potential sponsor, I'll offer up Amati as a 501(c)3 nonprofit that the project could be run through: that would give the donor a tax deduction.

Bill

March 10, 2008 at 04:41 AM · Interesting project...

March 10, 2008 at 05:10 AM · You'd need to involve other sites like cello.org, and us violists :)

March 10, 2008 at 05:27 AM · The no-cost, guerilla way to do it would be to take tracks from existing member CDs, and make it CD promotion. Make it a double CD. But if somebody wants to kick in a bunch of $$, forget what I just said; it was a terrible idea.

March 10, 2008 at 06:34 AM · Yeah, Jim, if you want to get sued...

March 10, 2008 at 06:51 AM · Ok, we won't use your CD. Everyone else we can work out deals with...

March 10, 2008 at 03:03 PM · You'll be my hero if you can work any deals with music companies backed by RIAA. We are not talking about the soloists there, you know.

March 10, 2008 at 05:18 PM · How about the five worst players? That would be far more fun.

March 11, 2008 at 04:21 AM · Edward, you mean something like this?:

http://thereallyterribleorchestra.com/

March 11, 2008 at 04:42 AM · I'm thinking more along the lines of a "Violin Idol" where everyone sends in their tracks and Laurie finds a guy with a British accent (Buri?) and then some other guy to field through and narrow it down to the top twenty four. Laurie can put up four tracks at a time. Each day one person gets voted off until we've all exhausted ourselves listening to endless and pointless banter week after week . . . But then, we'll have our Violin Idol, albums to follow, groupies, blogs, commercial sponsors etc.. ;-)

Ohhhh, Mendy! I just went to that site. I cannot believe this world I live in. Amazing. Hilarious beyond measure.

March 11, 2008 at 04:54 AM · You can't do that. The winner would send in an obscure Perlman tape, guaranteed. "Hmm I'll send a Perlman tape, yeahh... Perlman tape, that's the ticket."

March 11, 2008 at 05:10 AM · Okay--live auditions? With a rule barring Princess Leah costumes?

March 11, 2008 at 05:38 AM · Yes. Hot pants and cowboy boots mandatory.

March 11, 2008 at 09:10 AM · I'm gonna shake it with lipstick and big hair. That's how you make good music.

March 11, 2008 at 10:03 AM · What you got to shake, girl?

March 11, 2008 at 10:12 AM · My vibrato, of course.

March 11, 2008 at 10:32 AM · Whoa! I said shake it, not break it.

March 11, 2008 at 03:44 PM · I'm only auditioning if Al Ku does.

March 11, 2008 at 03:48 PM · i will consider to be a sponsor if kimberlee can submit a version of thais with wicked slides and swelling vibrato:)

March 11, 2008 at 08:04 PM · Al, that would just be adding to the madness--I'm afraid Buri would call a version like that "karaoke" or worse "wedding drivel." :-) Now, Thais with a Salsa beat--that I might consider . . . where did I leave that hot pink shirt with the poofy feather sleeves? Al, do you know how to play the maracas?

March 11, 2008 at 10:35 PM · kimberlee, but me no got rhythm! (look at my pic...i've got 2 fillers for your skit:)

March 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM · Perfect. Now we're in business.

March 12, 2008 at 01:34 AM · I left you guys alone on a thread, and look at what happens. You are all in so much strife when a responsible adult gets home.

March 12, 2008 at 04:45 AM · yet to see one of those on this site.

March 12, 2008 at 05:44 AM · then let's par-tay.

That reallyterribleorchestra was pretty good, I reckon. They had dynamics.

See the 'spiritual' mp3 link upload on my profile - we weren't trying to sound bad. Our Simon clone would be looking for the sunglasses and a pillow to cover his face with had we performed on v-idol.

So do we win?

March 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM · Yes, the RTO is far too good. They should dismiss most of their players for being too advanced and get some new ones in.

March 12, 2008 at 01:09 PM · sharelle, that tune sounds familiar, kinda fitting as i browse through the update on spitzer with his kangaroo business.

all the strings are violin players? how many all together?

March 12, 2008 at 01:39 PM · Al,

It's Deep River. Heifetz did a fun arrangement of it for violin/piano.

March 12, 2008 at 02:27 PM · >I left you guys alone on a thread, and look at what happens. You are all in so much strife when a responsible adult gets home.

Sharelle, you're hilarious. : )

March 12, 2008 at 03:11 PM · A guy has a great idea that needs a lot of creative input to work and instead many turn it into this! Sad!

March 12, 2008 at 04:00 PM · JanMichelle--fair enough. I am truly sorry for my contribution. I hope I can make amends by returning to the topic at hand. Thank you for the correction.

I appreciated Mr. Townsend's contribution. That is a fair amount of research already done. I think a recital album would be fantastic. "A V.com Recital" album. I also think the idea to do this at the next VSA conference or similar is a good one. I agree, there are some phenomenal players who deserve exposure. I love the idea of having them all on one album. These recordings would be very valuable in the future, I would think, on many levels. I appreciate what Laurie Niles is already doing in the "in concert" section of this website to alert us to these exceptional talents.

My support is about all I can think of that I am disposed to give. I wish I could offer more.

March 12, 2008 at 04:02 PM · i think for an idea like this,,,,forget about money in the first place which means

performers doing it for fun and free,

producers doing it for fun and free,

recorders doing it for fun and free,

make it downloadable for free and forget about making CDs.

what do people involved get out of this besides having fun? some name recognition and a little publicity, which may turn out to be very valuable, from this collective effort. no one making money is better than some losing money.

would unions have problem with it if you do it for free and give it away for free?

March 13, 2008 at 01:39 AM · Thank you Kimberlee! I agree everything would need to be done on a volunteer basis. I hope that one day soon we can have a yearly V.com convention type of thing! Maybe suppliers and makers could get involved and maybe this is when we record it. If we had 3 or 4 soloist already picked out (each player Andreas mentioned has world -class talent, not that we would locked in to just those soloists) than a makeshift V.com orchestra could get it together in a few rehearsals. I would gladly do it, We could pick a different city each year, etc, or maybe it is every other year.....just thoughts

I don't think Andreas was talking about money, I think he was talking about making creative memories from the site and for the site....using our God given talent to do something good! An act of philantropy.

March 13, 2008 at 10:05 AM · A great idea, but hampered by distance. I'm sure the not so upsided end of the world has some great players who are also members, but the act of getting to somewhere in the states for a convention in the flesh.

We could have a virtual convention.

Could a CD be like a self published book? And maybe avaialbe for those who are good, but not in contract. Cause really, the goods who are already in contract have hopefully already got some exposure and recording, and we could and should be out getting their stuff already.

Answering Al's question - at that time the ensemble was about 16 strong, with a few cellists, couple of double basses, couple of violas, and the rest violinist. I don't pity Sylvia trying to scrape up a first violin section that year.

Now it is about 20-24 strong, 4 cellists, 2 double basses and 3 violas are regular attenders, and then we usually have 4 or so violinists each in 1sts and 2nds.

I'm impressed that anyone could identify the tune. It was far from spiritual.

March 13, 2008 at 01:46 PM · a read:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/07/imeem-internet-advertising-biz-media-cx_lh_0307imeem.html?partner=ecommerce_newsletter

September 11, 2009 at 03:27 PM ·

Does anyone know how Mike is doing today?  He was quite ill at one point.

Also, whatever happened to his commissioning project?

September 12, 2009 at 09:08 PM ·

A dirt simple solution for users (not necessarily for the developer of the site) would be for file upload to be added to the account management page, so that users could upload recordings of themselves.  They would then be available from the users bio, and could be consolidated on a 'our users files' page.  The only down side I can see is potential liability for copyrighted works the uploader didn't have permission to share, but v.com could cover its behind with a eula on upload where the uploader confirms they have the rights or permission to upload.

A group effort where people aren't in the same place at the same time could be done by people in different places playing their parts to a click track.  Not a lot of fun, granted, and it would require a music software geek to put it all together, but doable.

September 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM ·

But the file upload facility already exists! If you go to "my profile" and look on the right side of the page, there is a link  "Upload audio/video link". This enables you to upload either an mp3 file or a link to a video. Downloading MP3 files from the site is a little tricky, but it can be done. So everyone can make his or her own medium-fi CD.

September 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM ·

D'oh!  Been a snake it would have bit me.  Thanks Bart for pointing that out.  So the v.com greats already have a means of sharing their genius if they want to.  Then if someone wanted they could link to their favourites from a blog post.  Not as cool as the original idea of a v.com 'we are the world' type get together, but apparently already doable thanks to the smarts of v.com's site designer.

September 13, 2009 at 02:08 AM ·

I wish there was such a CD!  Seriously!  I would even go for one of persons of all playing levels.

September 13, 2009 at 02:14 AM ·

This is a great idea. Here's my generous  financial contribution to get it to fruition

September 13, 2009 at 05:32 AM ·

Sam,

You really shouldn't have!  You are generous to a fault! :-)

September 15, 2009 at 04:31 AM ·

I think it is a great idea. And  BTW, lot's of  "Hollywood" scores are being done  in Seattle.

If there is a budget concern, come to Seattle.

Many great  players here as well.

Just check out this short clip of two guys from the Seattle Symphony (and members of the odeonquartet): Artur Girsky violin and Gennady Filimonov  playing viola in Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante with the Odessa Philharmonic.

Gennady was a v.com member. I don't know if  the rest of the group is (members or not)?

Check out their recent performance at Benaroya Hall on youtube:

Osvaldo Golijov - Tenebrae 1 

Osvaldo Golijov - Tenebrae - 2 

Pavel Karmanov - "Michael Music" US Premier

Pavel Karmanov - Forellenquintet

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe