Hilary Hahn on Danish TV show

February 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM · Any Danish people here?

Please tape this show, I am sure we would all love to see it.

Check out more info on Hilary speaks about it

Replies (25)

March 1, 2008 at 08:55 PM · I read about it--Sounds like it's beyond awesome!

Yes, please, whoever gets this please post it.

I'm sure Hilary's trying to get it onto her site as well.

She said she didn't speak Danish, so I'm wondering if they did it in English.

March 1, 2008 at 09:47 PM · "She said she didn't speak Danish, so I'm wondering if they did it in English. "

Of course they did

Most people in Denmark know English.

I was very surprised that classical music had so much respect in Denmark.

I know that it´s common with classical top 10 albums in Russia (mainstream charts) but I didn´t have a clue that classical music was that popular in Denmark.

March 3, 2008 at 10:24 AM · I'm from Denmark. The program will be put on DR's (Denmark's Radio - which is also television) website, free for anyone to watch. (Well ecxept for Danes, who are forced to pay about $400 a year...) Here is a link to the particular show:

http://www.dr.dk/DR2/Den11time/forside.htm

To watch a program click on the left side where it says "Se programmerne" (meaning "see the programs"). Then click on "Sæson 3" (= season 3)in the upper right hand corner of the white part of the page. It has a list of the 2008 programs - just look for "Hilary Hahn" among all the Danish words and click on "se program" (which should not need translation :0) )The Hilary Hahn show has not been aired yet, but I'll try to keep a look out and notify you here.

As to language, the program will probably have some introduction all in Danish, but the actual interview will be in English with Danish subtitles (as all English languaged TV is in Denmark - it's too small a country to have TV shows and such syncronized like they do in Germany, Spain, France etc. As a nice bonus though, the Danes are generally pretty good at speaking English...)

By the way, I don't think that Denmark is a particularly "classical music friendly" country - unfortunately! We're pretty much just at a resonable level... Many good things happening, but there's definitely room for improvement :0)

March 3, 2008 at 10:33 AM · "Sæson 3" (= season 3)

I could have guessed that. Either that or Sassoon 3 for extra dry hair.

March 3, 2008 at 04:55 PM · Thanks Christine! It'll be appreciated! :)

Jim, you're funny! :)

March 5, 2008 at 06:57 AM · The program aired last night, so now it's on the shows website. You have to look on the right hand side of the front page and find the third little tv-icon from the top, where it says "se seneste programmer i dr.dk tv". Then you just click on the text and you should be all set :0)

Here's the link to the front page again: http://www.dr.dk/DR2/Den11time/

Be aware that it's a late night show, though. Lots of good music, but the interview is kind of silly, and for some reason the host doesn't seem very focused (he's usually okay, so I don't know what got into him...).

Hope you enjoy!

Regards,

Christine

March 5, 2008 at 10:04 PM · Thanks!

March 5, 2008 at 09:58 PM · Well there is another way to get there, it's just a little harder to explain, with everything being in Danish and all...

1) Go to www.dr.dk

2) In the upper right hand side (the green part) click on "se dr.dk tv". A new window should open.

3) As of right now you can find the show on the front page of the new window, but later on (when the program isn't new any longer) click on "programmer" at the top.

4) Then click on "den 11. time" (the different shows are lined up alphabetically so it shouldn't be too difficult), and you should be able to find the program (there's a picture of Hahn).

Hope this was helpful :0)

Christine

March 5, 2008 at 10:12 PM · Hmm. The video still doesn't seem to load...

March 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM · First of all: Mange tak, Christine!

Very nice interview, good music and the backstage-stuff, well, let's say it's simply hilarious.

@Sarah: Are you trying to watch it on a Mac? Hilary wrote in her journal that the streaming isn't too compatible with Macs.

March 5, 2008 at 11:44 PM ·

March 6, 2008 at 01:57 AM · It's simply a very sweet interview. HH comes across as someone any of us would love to have as a friend. The Twinkle, Twinkle lullyby at the end is adorable.

I found the hula hooping interviewer while HH played bluegrass scene hilarious. I guess we need to keep returning to see HH with the hula hoop.

As for the interviewer appearing to be less focused than normal, I think he was a bit "charmed" or "disarmed" by her.

Thanks for posting the site. It was terrific.

March 6, 2008 at 03:29 PM · I couldn't find the video on the website under Season 3. Only 2 videos showed up there for me! I could only see the backstage antics.

March 6, 2008 at 03:48 PM · Yes, something's not quite right because this isn't a mac I'm using (Dell), and it's got Microsoft software, so I also just got the stills and the avant-garde improv (Did she just meow??).

March 6, 2008 at 03:56 PM · Yay I got it to work, I followed the instructions on how to get there from the front page.

I love the way that she and the host make up excuses of why they can't hula hoop haha.

March 6, 2008 at 04:13 PM · I just can't get it to work--I tried using a different browser, and it still doesn't want to load, and I know this is the link for the entire show because it has the timing on it. If anyone can get a alternate operation for those of us that simply don't have every possible tool to see this show, please share it here.

In the meantime, there are quite a few interesting clips of Hilary on YouTube as well.

March 7, 2008 at 12:18 AM · Hmmm, I got the actual show to load after trying about 10 times, then suddenly it just worked (once!). Anyone know how to get her behind the scenes videos? I see the icons for the 5 min and 3 min shows but Windows Media pops up and is tiny and doesn't connect/work...

March 7, 2008 at 01:58 AM · She really is such a cutie. :)

Neil

March 7, 2008 at 02:15 AM · If you are a mac user or just want to download the show as a podcast click here. It's the episode listed as "Den 11. time 04/03 2008"

March 8, 2008 at 07:39 PM · Well, now I've found a computer that loads the show, but guess what--No sound! :(

UGH!!

I wonder if you can write them and get a copy of the show.

March 8, 2008 at 10:35 PM · I uploaded it on YouTube so it should be out shortly :)

March 10, 2008 at 11:16 PM · Thanks so much for doing that, Sarah!

I finally watched it!

Not quite as zany as what I've read--It actually kind of reminded me of Hilary's appearance on Mister Rogers--A rather quiet, intimate discussion with some moments of awkwardness (by the host), but still we could see the great musician that she is.

It seems Mr. Bertelsen was a little disappointed that Hilary didn't want to hula wearing silk--It looked as if his whole agenda got shot down or something.

Interesting to know that Bela Fleck (The guy that wrote "Down in The Swamp", the piece she played during the hula moment) is also friends with her--He's also friends with Natalie MacMaster, whom I just saw in concert last week! :)

March 11, 2008 at 05:33 PM · I also want to add that "Down in the Swamp" has never sounded more Americana than it did when she played it on this show! :)

March 12, 2008 at 01:04 AM · No problem :) Anyone know where to find the video of HH on Mr Rogers? Now that would be interesting...

March 13, 2008 at 04:13 PM · I thought Hilary's puppet show during the backstage clip was infinitely better than Mr. Rogers' land-of-make-believe finger-puppet show ever was! :)

Nice to finally see her music improv on the piano and drums (I never thought to use my elbow)!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe