help choosing a solo piece for beginner

February 28, 2008 at 02:55 AM · have a solo to do by may 18, I am a beginner only been playing about a month, am working on the last two pieces in suzuki book one. What is a good solo or nice sounding piece that I might be able to do by may 18. I have a teacher and practice about 12 hours week minimum. any ideas would be great.

Replies (22)

February 28, 2008 at 03:40 AM · What's wrong with the pieces in Suzuki?

Try finding an arrangement of Vocalise by Rachmaninoff. I can't remember off the top of my head if there's any hard passages or if it goes higher than something a beginner is used to, but for the most part it's just a nice, slow moving line.

February 29, 2008 at 10:06 PM · Stealing piano melodies can be a very good approach to easy solos, and along those lines I'd recommend Traumerei from Schumann's Kinderszenen. It's a pretty tune, and you can play it all in first position. You might have a bit of trouble if you haven't learned to play F natural, B flat, or E flat yet, but I'm sure you can knock it out in the time you have. You can find free copies of the music in any number of places online. Good luck! And good job getting through Suzuki 1 after only a month.

February 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM · The first real piece I did after Suzuki Book 1 was Offenbach's Barcarolle, theme from the opera, Tales of Hoffman. My teacher gave me a simple version of it in GMaj that perhaps you could find online. It's all 1st position and it's really quite beautiful.

March 1, 2008 at 09:21 PM · Thanks I will look for those pieces and see which one I am better able to make sound musical!!

March 1, 2008 at 10:34 PM · A couple books I have that you might find suitable are:

C. Paul Herforth's "A Collection of 43 Famous Compositions arranged for violin with piano accompaniment"

"Let Us Have Music for Violin" - 21 Famous Melodies arranged and edited by George Perlman (also with piano accompaniment)

March 10, 2008 at 09:11 PM · Well, think I settled on Air on g by J.S. Bach.

now I just have to avoid the nerves of playing in front of a bunch of people :p

March 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM · Greetings,

I hate being negative about someone`s choices but why on earth have you chosen a piece with such a notoriously nerve wracking opening- for anyone?

Puzzled,

Buri

March 11, 2008 at 08:36 AM · Maybe it's the Air on G (and other) string(s).

March 11, 2008 at 09:03 AM · I'm guessing he means the long quiet note at the beginning. I used to have a recording of it, Pablo Casals conducting Suite in (G I assume)... That's the version to play.

March 11, 2008 at 09:29 AM · No, it's not in G. It's actually in C.

March 11, 2008 at 09:40 AM · It's actually in D. The big hair lipstick wearing people you were talking about transposed it to C so they could make good music.

March 11, 2008 at 09:43 AM · Oh my gosh, you weren't kidding.

March 11, 2008 at 09:53 AM · A Whiter Shade of Pale is the best version though. That's the version Bach would have written if he hadn't been preoccupied with this and that. The lipstick wearers that transposed it to C though, forget it. Put them in a taxi back to the disco.

March 11, 2008 at 01:48 PM · I liked it. I have made it through the first two measures ok and it sounds recognizable ;). I do better with the slower tempo and my teacher said I could probably get it done by middle of may. The sheet music has is Air On The "G" String. I was deciding between that or Solvejg's song by Grieg. The version of Air was more realistic for me to get done in that time period.

March 11, 2008 at 10:45 PM · Greetings,

but was the fist bar recognizable as Jim or Emily`s version;)

Oistrakh once played these piece without a rehearsal and a new accompanist who came in at about half speed. Half way through the firts bar. He stopped. Corrected the pinaist and they started again.

The point is if you are going to start with this piece then make sure your accompanist knows to err on the fast side if they are unsur eof the tempo. Also learn it 10 mm beats under tempo so that if anything goes wrong you can handle it.

Cheers,

Buri

March 12, 2008 at 02:55 AM · You could nod a few beats to the accompanist before they begin, to make sure you're both thinking of the same thing.

March 12, 2008 at 04:41 AM · what if you are thinking about sex?

March 12, 2008 at 04:46 AM · Then put the top down on the piano and charge an extra $5.

March 12, 2008 at 04:49 AM · lol :D!!!

March 12, 2008 at 05:36 AM · gotta get a life.

Me, I mean.

You just keep on the way you are, Jim....doing...whatever you're doing...

March 12, 2008 at 05:43 AM · that puts my fee up to 6 dollars

March 12, 2008 at 06:48 AM · This arrangement came from August Wilhelm. Remember that recording that turns up from time to time? A record of this would be worth 7 dollars. Start by imagining it on a musical saw...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe