Computer messing with v.com

January 27, 2008 at 12:07 AM · A month ago I accidentally hit something on my keyboard that turned this site into a mini nightmare. The opening page is so huge I have to scroll horizontally to read anything. The rectangular and square boxes are now blocking things out. The menu is now at the bottom instead of the top. Whatever I did I can not undo it. This site on my wife's computer

appears like it should. I have had people much more computer savvy than I try to get this back to normal and can't. It is only v.com, no other site I go to was affected. Any ideas?

Replies (21)

January 27, 2008 at 12:21 AM · Just brainstorming... right click the mouse and toy with some of the options, such as "Encoding."

Also go to Start and then Control Panel, and then toy around with with the option that will be called something like Appearances.

Also, some browsers (at the top of your page) will have an option such as Page or View you can look at and change the zoom or the page layout.

January 27, 2008 at 12:52 AM · Hitting "control" and "minus," several times if necessary, should shrink the size of the page. Don't know if the new size will stick or if you will have to figure out something else to take care of it permanently, though.

January 27, 2008 at 01:00 AM · Have you tried using a different browser?

February 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM · What operating system are you using, and which internet browser?

February 10, 2008 at 07:01 PM · Hi,

I'm using Windows XP and Internet Explorer. As I mentioned it's something I did accitentally while typing on the forums here. I can minimize everything, but it looks really weird. V.com looksperfectly normal on my wife's computer.

I've been wondering if I delete v.com entirely and re-register whether that would put it back to normal.

February 10, 2008 at 11:44 PM · I recently had something like that happen to me while reading one thread - forgot which - but not others.

February 11, 2008 at 12:24 AM · try clicking all the F1 number, (F1 F2 F3)

February 11, 2008 at 01:36 AM · Tried that, F1, F2, etc. Not much happened except

I suddenly found myself into the deepest computer secrets of the Pentagon.

Thanj you, but tried that one.

February 11, 2008 at 01:43 AM · ray, do you routinely delete cookies and temp files from the "tools" section, to clean out junks?

also, is v.com currently saved under favorite or as a link?

February 11, 2008 at 05:05 AM · Hi, al, I haven't cleaned out the cookies or tempts in about two months. I have v.com on my favorites that I use frequently.

February 11, 2008 at 12:30 PM · hi ray, i wonder if you DARE to try the following...

1. delete v.com from your favorite or link first.

2. then delete all cookies and short term files.

3. turn off computer completely for 2 mins and then turn back on.

4. search for v.com afresh and see what happens..

5. if the problem persists, assume steve jobs has planted a virus permanently in your system and it is time to get the mac air,,,:)

February 11, 2008 at 05:51 PM · My sympathies, but I have to say, I laughed at the thought of what you are forced to look at! Hope you can get it remedied.

February 19, 2008 at 09:20 AM · Try this. Go to control panel -> display -> settings and change it to 1024x768. I usually keep it on that or larger but went to 800x600 to test something, and came here out of curiousity like that and it put the menu on the bottom of the screen, like you described.

February 19, 2008 at 09:24 AM · Maybe you increased the size of all the text. Try pressing ctrl - a few times

February 19, 2008 at 10:12 AM · Just tried a few things on IE to try and recreate it. First thought was the Text Size, but that just keeps it within the window and just makes the text larger. Then tried the Encoding as that was mentioned... again, no noticeable effect. Then the zoom

The zoom seemed to do it. Made the whole page larger, and added the scroll bar at the bottom. To fix, press Control (Ctrl) and the - button - either next to the 0 or on the top right hand corner of your number pad.

If that doesn't work... download Firefox

As for the MacBook air - I wouldn't even go there. Get yourself a real computer - one that has an optical drive at least :P

February 19, 2008 at 11:30 PM · You folks have made some suggestions that I will try. I can increase the size of the text via ctrl and moving the top mouse wheel, that doesn't change the whole site. The boxes on the main page are huge and obliterate some text.

I'll go now and try the display setting and see what happens. Worse case I'll delete v.com and start fresh after deleting cookies. Hopefully something works as it's only here that I have the problem.

Thanks.

February 20, 2008 at 01:29 AM · I changed the pixels and that fixed the problem, sort of, but left the other sites looking weird.

It's only this site that got screwed up when I did something. I put them back so only v.com looks out of place.

February 20, 2008 at 01:40 AM · Where you live do you have fix your computer guys who make housecalls? I could make suggestions all day, but probably not get anything done unless I got my hands on it. Maybe call the support line of wherever the computer is from. They might charge you if it's out of warranty, but not always.

February 20, 2008 at 02:06 AM · Since you're running Windows XP, you have a function called "system restore". It's under the "accessories" menu in "programs".

Pick a "restore point" before the problem occurred, and restore to that date.

This should work unless you have installed programs or updates since that date. If you have, you might need to reinstall those things.

February 20, 2008 at 03:53 AM · Yeah. Go back in time to before it exploded. That's easier than putting all the pieces back together. Restore has to have been enabled since sometime before the explosion, but it probably was. Make it so. I read it's pretty selective, but it might work anyway.

February 20, 2008 at 04:35 AM · You may want to try resetting IE to its defaults by clicking tools, internet options, selecting programs tab, and clicking "reset web settings". On the next dialog you may want to uncheck "reset start page" before clicking OK. Hope that helps.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe