What would you ask Anne Akiko Meyers?

January 18, 2008 at 06:41 AM · I'm going to interview Anne Akiko Meyers next Tuesday while she's in LA. (She'll be playing the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto with the New West Symphony.) I'd like to bring her some of your questions.

Replies (21)

January 18, 2008 at 05:57 PM · You are a wonderful violinist with a beautiful tone. What would you advise a violinist who wanted a larger and richer tone to do?

January 18, 2008 at 01:23 PM · ...if she's free for dinner, Sat. night.

Just kidding!

Sort of...

January 18, 2008 at 05:48 PM · No creepy stalker questions!

January 18, 2008 at 06:04 PM · In that case, just ask her for me what's the square root of -1.

January 18, 2008 at 08:12 PM · If she were given free rein to record what she wanted, what would be on her list? Also, is she coming to England at any time?

January 18, 2008 at 08:23 PM · I know she's had ups and downs with regards to securing a concert-quality instrument to play. I'd like to hear what she has to say about the problems young artists might have in this area.

January 18, 2008 at 08:39 PM · What's her favourite airline for US domestic flights.

January 18, 2008 at 09:52 PM · What is her warm-up routine before a performance? And does she use a mirror to practice?

January 18, 2008 at 10:07 PM · i = the answer to one of the previous questions, therefore i^2 would be -1

January 18, 2008 at 10:16 PM · Her huge repertoire, including "exotic" works and stretching into 20th-21st century, to my surprise doesn't include Dvorak's Violinconcerto. Nor any Paganini. Any particular reason?

January 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM · Sorry, Laurie! I temporarily mixed up v.com with match.com! It's worked the other way, too. Why just the other day I logged onto match.com and posed a question of great social and political significance - and I was amazed that no one had any opinion about whether or not to use a shoulder rest!

OK, seriously...I would ask any active soloist about any problems traveling by air with the violin, tips to travel more efficiently, etc.

January 18, 2008 at 11:11 PM · You are the child of parents from two quite different cultures. What have you gotten from each in terms of your music?

January 19, 2008 at 12:10 AM · Concerning your question on match.com, Raphael: I think it's better to have a partner than to stay single (maybe they did not like the term "use a shoulder rest"). However, it should suit you and not cause you to tense up. Otherwise, it's better to play without shoulder rest.

January 19, 2008 at 12:10 AM · What her experience was while in the DeLay studio? Asking because in his biography Nigel Kennedy compared it to Olympic boxing camp - in a very positive way, of course...

Sam

January 19, 2008 at 02:19 AM · Would she get a carbon fiber violin :-?

January 19, 2008 at 03:12 AM · Mathias - I was totally joking. After all my "kindertotenleider (and giegentotenleider?) on the "final music" thread, I was in the mood for some levity. I was satirizing myself at least as much as anyone else, because we've debated this issue to death here. But thanks for your well-meaning advice.

January 19, 2008 at 06:03 AM · Greetings,

I would ask her if she ever feels her er diverse cultural background ever influences the way she plays and thinks about the violin.

Cheers,

Buri

January 19, 2008 at 11:56 AM · Raphael, I was totally joking as well ;-)

January 19, 2008 at 04:53 PM · "What do you do to stay healthy & fit while travelling so much?"

"What has changed about the music business since you started out, both in general and for you in particular, and what do you think of it?"

"WHERE CAN I FIND YOUR RECORDINGS OF THE MENDELSSOHN AND PROKOFIEV CONCERTI????????"

January 19, 2008 at 09:26 PM · if its not for the interviewing ladies...who or what rests on your shoulders? I know the qu. threatens the thread and should go to match.com

Next one please.

January 20, 2008 at 12:15 AM · Some of Ms. Meyers recordings include:

Classical Ecstasy-Classics for a New Age

Smooth Classics

Ultrasound: Music for the Unborn Child

Violin for Relaxation

I'd be curious how she feels about this kind of cross-over marketing.

ALso, in recent decades, it seems that in order for classical musicians to have solo careers, especially making recordings with large labels, they must look like models. While Ms. Meyers beauty is certainly an asset, how has appearance driven marketing impacted her as a musician?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe