Major breaking new s for violinists.

December 13, 2007 at 02:53 AM · Greetings,

go to this site for a mjaorbreakthough for violinists.

A Japanese scientist has used genetic modification to nullify mice`s fear of cats. The same technique will soon be applicable for dealing with nasty violin teacher`s and stage fright.

Cheers,

Buri

Replies (46)

December 13, 2007 at 03:11 AM · I guess it would make all of life way easier. Be sure not to call me after you cross the street without fear.

How about that violin playing robot?

December 13, 2007 at 03:08 AM · That's really funny. Our female cat was recently taunted by a very nervy mouse, who repeatedly jumped up and down about 3 inches from the cat's nose. A few minutes later the male cat came into the room, proceeded to swat the mouse swiftly with his right paw and devour our little hero head first.

I admit that after such an uncommon display of chutzpah I felt a bit sad for the mouse.

But whatever engineering tricks the scientists may have used, did they think about the fact that cats are still big, hungry, and swift?

December 13, 2007 at 03:14 AM · what is wrong w/you people ? ---ye are slowly sinking to the depths.........

December 13, 2007 at 03:17 AM · cats are repulsive---even to mention the name is abhorrent !

December 13, 2007 at 03:29 AM · Buri,

So does that make for a less exciting chow-time for the cats? Think of what the teacher could now do to the student and they wouldn't know enough to leave………nay, RUN to another teacher!!!

December 13, 2007 at 03:38 AM · I have on good information, that prunes, may be involved--this is earth shattering.

December 13, 2007 at 03:58 AM · to study violin playing is extremely difficult.

to nourish a cat is an abomination of existence.

except for their gut perhaps,but i infer the strings are sheep gotten.

cats remain an anomaly

sheep may make a violin string.

seriously,it is sheep that gut strings are made of---is'nt it ?

December 13, 2007 at 04:27 AM · This is completely CATatonic.

Someone here must have played the MagnifiCAT.

December 13, 2007 at 04:52 AM · Laugh all you want but remember Revelations, the lamb laying down with the lion, the sign of the end-times. To you, this should be as big a deal as the White Buffalo was to my own people. The end has never been nearer.

December 13, 2007 at 04:51 AM · Well, when you've got robots playing "Pomp and Circumstance," I think a little apocalypse might be overdue.

December 13, 2007 at 04:55 AM · It's all coming together now. It's finally making some sense.

December 13, 2007 at 05:03 AM · Sometimes, there's a darn good reason to be afraid.

December 13, 2007 at 05:08 AM · Ah, live without fear--give it to the good Lord--he never messes up on justice--ever.

December 13, 2007 at 05:17 AM · If he'd used lions and lambs instead of cats and mice, people would have freaked. It would have been great publicity for him. Not being Western, he doesn't know this.

P.S.

It would have been much easier to do this by just giving them both a wiff of gas. What a waste of time.

December 13, 2007 at 05:13 AM · cats merely serve as a symbolization of a undertaking which most cannot fully comprehend in their attempts to manipulate the segments of a divided conundrum of the eternal question:

"Can cat gut ever replace sheep gut as to the panacea of accomplishing superb intonation upon the violin".

No one has believed thusly--and that is good...

December 13, 2007 at 05:30 AM · My cat hates Polish music. She would always run and hide whenever I played Wieniawski--I used to think it was just the sound of the violin she hated, until I started learning some Chopin on the piano and she had the same reaction.

December 13, 2007 at 05:56 AM · Mara,excellent point.

Cats are oblivious to the very finest,especially Chopin,of music.

Once I played the Chopin on the piano----the piano concerto where he grieves over his girlfriend who jilted him and my neighbours cat did not even comprehend the meaning !

After this occurance---cats remain meaningless creatures, non-attentive to the very best in music and those who offer same to the ill-informed populi who profligate our environs.

December 13, 2007 at 06:17 AM · Except when I started playing Bartók, she jumped up on the piano bench and sat next to me.

December 13, 2007 at 06:23 AM · did she remain for the entire piece ?

i bet not.

December 13, 2007 at 06:31 AM · Buri,

It appears that your e mail address at v.com may need updating. I had tried to send you an e mail, but it was returned by the mailer-demon.

December 13, 2007 at 06:44 AM · Greetings,

sorry Oliver. My computers broken (I use the schoolone). I`ll send you an alternative address for now.

Cheers,

Buri

December 13, 2007 at 07:10 AM · The mouse may not fear the cat. That still isn't going to change the physical reality that the mouse will most likely end up in somewhat less-than-whole form on the cat's owner's doorstep.

Sometimes, a bit of fear is a very good thing. :)

December 13, 2007 at 09:09 AM · haha wouldn't that be called a *performance* enhancement drug? It'll be like the violin version of doping, then we'll get our gold medals taken away.

anyways, time to work on cats that dont eat mice.

December 13, 2007 at 10:26 AM · What, a vegetarian cat?

When's the humanity gonna get its act together and protect plants from being eaten, too? Eating is such a destructive behavior.

December 13, 2007 at 11:58 AM · Be for real... The Organic. The whole thing. Some mysteries of life, are simply beyond us.

December 13, 2007 at 06:24 PM · Buri-

I think I'm begining to know why you live in Japan! ;) Sounds like a fun place to be!!!

December 13, 2007 at 03:58 PM · My Black cat loves fruit and vegetables. Green beans, peas, lettuce, kale, asparagus, etc. Her favorite is cantaloupe. She is a little weird. My Gray cat thinks she is nuts.

My cats don't get to go outside and hunt, so they might have "a chance" with a fearless mouse.

But this poor mouse: It will never understand the phrase "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"!

As for fearless violinists, Kremer comes to mind...

December 13, 2007 at 04:37 PM · Hmmmm. No wonder you never see mice onstage playing the violin. Maybe some day, with this breakthrough, we will finally get to experience some of the great violinist-mice, such as Zino Francheescati, Bronislaw Hubermouse (and his cousin, Pinchas Zuckermouse), Leopold Meower, Christian Ferrett, Artur Grumeow, and Ruggiero Screechi.

December 13, 2007 at 06:25 PM · Sandy- You could always put a Moustro Violin mute on your instrument.

December 13, 2007 at 06:39 PM · Cats control the banking,media,and internet systems.It is obvious all of you have fallen under their control.Anyone possesing a cat should be guilty of a Class III/Destructive Device violation,but now it's too late.Mice are simply pawns in their evil empire building scheme,forcing us to work hard all week long to feed them expensive food that they force us to guess which brand they will eat that particular moment.Only to save a mouse.Walt Disney was an early minion,and we still condition children today,only now it's worldwide.(EHMM-EYE-SEEEE,KAY-HEE-WHYYYYY)..yes,ask yourselves why...-JP

December 13, 2007 at 06:54 PM · As Lily Tomlin once said, "Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat."

December 13, 2007 at 07:33 PM · Some days, I don't feel so addled.

December 13, 2007 at 07:54 PM · I can give you proof of my prior statement ...this will probably get me banned from this site for getting this melody stuck in everyone's head,but here goes..

THE MEOW MIX CAT FOOD JINGLE

Meow,meow,meow,meow,

(I want tu-na)

Meow,meow,meow,meow,

(I want li-ver)

meow,meow,meow,meow,meow

(I want chic-ken please)

Meow,meow,meow

(de- li- ver)

Now that I have ruined your lives by getting this stuck in your head, you will probably all gang up on me and have me banned from this site.I understand.But it's for your own good.(If you play it with dotted 8th notes and a swing feel,it's a cool exercise)........

I meow,therefore I am.............

December 13, 2007 at 08:45 PM · Jay! LOL!!! If I knew that Meow Mix jinggle was this funny I would have worn a diaper!!!

December 14, 2007 at 03:29 AM · Greetings,

odd that you should mention diapers...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,,2227412,00.html

Cheers,

Buri

December 14, 2007 at 03:37 AM · I bet super mice would fear these NEW cats!

December 14, 2007 at 03:57 AM · Ah, watch the prunes Buri.

December 14, 2007 at 06:33 PM · Meow,meow,meow,meow

meow,meow,me--AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH....meow,meow,meow,meow,

meow,meow,meow,meow,

HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP,IIITTT WWWOOOONNN"TTT

SSSSTTTTOOOOOOPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!Meow,meow,meow,meow,

RROOYYCCEE,MMAAAKKKEEE IIITTT SSTTOOOOPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Meow,meow,meow,meow,PLLEEEAAASSSEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 14, 2007 at 06:37 PM · Hang in there Jay!!! Just use one of the diapers as a parachute!!!! It worked on the run-away Eukanuba commercial on Animal planet!!! but make shure you use real gut strings for the para-chords!

December 17, 2007 at 05:10 PM · Royce,I tried the parachute trick,it did't work...however,after stuffing a diaper in each ear and cranking up a Jean-Luc Ponty record I have cut down on the volume somewhat......

December 17, 2007 at 06:26 PM · We get by with a little help from our friends. ;) & Prunes!

December 17, 2007 at 08:08 PM · Now that I can hear myself think,the only thing I remember fearing about my teacher was being afraid she was going to find out I couldn't read.I had(and still have) perfect pitch, and knew all the names of the notes,grasped theory,etc.,but just couldn't get anything out of all the dots and squiggly lines.One day she yanked the sheet of music off the stand and I did't miss a beat.She told me she had figured it out a few months beforehand.She completely changed after that.She taught me about intervals,transposing,playing with other musicians,HOW TO LISTEN,checking the ego at the door,etc.I was about 13 at the time.I started playing professionally at about 15,and except a hitch in the service,gigged almost non-stop for 25 years.

December 17, 2007 at 09:27 PM · Hi,

Contrary to most, I find this research interesting from many perspectives. First, the association between smell and sound with fear that the author brings up is quite something. I wonder if it is possible to point out which aspect do induce stage-fright.

Maybe even if I think that tampering with the genetics of fear can be dangerous (lack of sensitivity to real rather than perceived threats could be lethal), understanding better how it works may lead to advances in helping us bypass some of the reactions to perceived threats when not necessary.

Cheers!

December 17, 2007 at 10:45 PM · Greetings,

Christian, joking aside, I agree with your point of view completely. I have studied Neuro Linguistic Programming a fair bit over the years and the issue sof sensory input/programming are central - and smell is the strongest and leats utilized tool in ones arsenal. I use dot teach at a univeristy where my studnets in a class rated as low level began to outperform all the others after I introduced one simple exam tehcnique. When meemoring all that stuff (Gradgrind rules) spray on your favorite perfumre of after shave. When taking the exam sparyon the same - the effecton recall is extraordinary.

Anothe rone that always surprises me. When I wa sa kid I played in a really high level youth orchstra that used to do really intense week long courses at local schools. In particular I remeber doing Bartok cocnerto for orchestra at a schol with a slightly peculiar instituionalized smell. Even now, when I hear that work, the odor comes back to my nostrils.

Then, If I pass somone in the streets who uses the same soap as Mako did when I was 18 I get so excited I have to go and lie down somewhere...

Cheers,

Buri

December 18, 2007 at 01:05 PM · Buri: You're right, of course. Odors can evoke strong memories as well as feelings. Which gives me an idea: The Beethoven Concerto for Violin, Orchestra, and Obsession.

:) Sandy

December 18, 2007 at 10:31 PM · Scratch and sniff scores?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic