Nightmare recordings

December 12, 2007 at 05:16 PM · What are the recordings that you think are a total mismatch of violinist and music? This can either be a performance already recorded, or a recording that has never been made.

My vote is Fritz Kreisler playing the Bartok Violin Concerto.

Replies (39)

December 12, 2007 at 06:02 PM · Angel Jesus Garcia on Complete Sarasate 5CDs boxset... I'm happy to have found all Sarasate published works on CD, except op.7 (don't know why it's not in there), but I can't ask myself to listen to them simply because I don't want to hear his playing on these CDs...

December 12, 2007 at 08:25 PM · Gidon Kremer and the Brahms Sonatas (the D Minor, at least).

December 12, 2007 at 09:01 PM · Sander:

I anticipated your excellent question on the dream thread, but here goes attempt #2:

1.Lawrence Welk and his orchestra playing Stravinsky's Le Sacre

2.Duke Ellington and his Orchestra playing Bartok Concerto for Orchestra (might not be bad)

3. The Rolling Stones playing Bach's B-Minor Mass

4. Johnie Cash singing and playing Wotan's Farewell

5. Dame Joan Sutherland singing country western

6. Placido Domingo singing "You ain't nothing but a hound dog" (might not be bad)

7. Elvis singing Sigfried (the entire role)

8. George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra playing rap (might not be bad)

9. Boulez conducting Brahms (he'd never do it in real life)

December 12, 2007 at 09:32 PM · Johnny Cash singing Helen Reddy's "I am Woman."

December 12, 2007 at 10:01 PM · Bravo, Terry!

December 12, 2007 at 10:25 PM · As much as I'm impressed by Hilary Hahn, I really can't see her doing the Bruch or any really romantic concerto . . .

December 12, 2007 at 10:36 PM · Solti conducting 4- 33``?

December 12, 2007 at 10:45 PM · Karajan and Bartók. *Shudder.*

December 12, 2007 at 10:45 PM · For all my love of Kreisler I can't imagine him performing the Sibelius Concerto -- too dark emotionally.

December 12, 2007 at 11:07 PM · Andre Rieu's orchestra playing Bartok concerto for orchestra with Furtwangler conducting via the use of Roelof as a medium.

December 13, 2007 at 12:06 AM · Michael Jackson singing the song "Fade to Black" by Metallica.

December 13, 2007 at 12:37 AM · Marilyn Manson singing The Marriage of Figgaro.

Marilyn Manson singing Don Geovonni (Might Work)

Back to the original...playing the violin...

Senator Byrd playing his violin with Ozzy Osbourn in Ozz-Fest!

December 13, 2007 at 12:59 AM · Jasmine ;) You're great.

December 13, 2007 at 03:03 AM · Kenny, you know that Tianwa Yang is off and running with the complete works of Sarasate, right? So far so excellent!

As for nightmare recordings...how about Mutter and the 12 Fantasias of Telemann? Could be interesting...

December 13, 2007 at 03:58 AM · Apapas and Mozart cadenza.

Ooops. Wrong thread

Bad Dobby, Bad Dobby.

December 13, 2007 at 04:06 AM · underhanded, sir, underhanded.

December 13, 2007 at 04:07 AM · zuckerman doing gangsta rap?

December 13, 2007 at 04:11 AM · I think he could pull it off.

December 13, 2007 at 04:24 AM · Kidding? Zukerman could TOTALLY pull it off. Perlman couldn't, though...(this disturbing image brought to you by a pile of homework currently being avoided...)

December 13, 2007 at 04:19 PM · James LaBrie from Dream Theater singing famous opera arias with other operatic tenors with an orchestra and heavy metal background.

"True Symphonic Rockestra". It's an unfortunate reality.

December 13, 2007 at 11:05 PM · If you want to actually hear nightmare recordings, google "Florence Foster Jenkins" and listen to the stuff on YouTube. She was a rich lady who thought she had talent as a singer. She did a lot of concerts, her career (such as it was) finally culminating in a Carnegie Hall concert in Oct. 1944. She died shortly after. She was atrocious, but had a certain bravado about her. A role model in some ways for all of us. There was a very good play written recently about her called "Souvenir."

Here is a Wikpedia on her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Foster_Jenkins. Here is a link to a YouTube recording that will give you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cWwA7Czi1E

December 13, 2007 at 05:39 PM · Andre Rieu playing the Stravinsky violin concerto.

December 13, 2007 at 06:05 PM · Ethel Murman (sp?) having a prominant part singing in Mozart's "The Magic Flute".

December 13, 2007 at 11:03 PM · Funny stuff!

A lttle more seriously (for the moment) -

Stern playing Schoen Rosmarin - he just didn't have the style or gemutlichtkeit for it.

Grumiaux and Claudio Arrau were invited by Phillips to do the complete Beethoven sonatas. It seemed like a match made in Heaven. But they couldn't stand one another! After recording a few of the sonatas, they both refused to go on.

Grumiaux or Szerying or Szigeti (all of whom I admire enormously) playing Gershwin. I don't think so.

Heifetz considered taking up the Schoenberg concerto. Their mutual friend, Oscar Levant, arranged for a meeting at Heifetz' home. Heifetz tried it and tried it, getting increasingly frustrated and turned off. Finally he stopped and said: "You know, Mr. Schonberg, when violinists will play your concerto? When they grow a 6th finger!" Said Schonberg: "I can wait!"

And, again - Nadia and Nigel doing the Bach double. It may not do great service to Bach - but what entertainment!

Buri - re the 4'33...at least I think I could have followed Solti into the silence better than say, Masur! I did the orchestrated version myself recently. But the strings were never in tune with the winds! ;-)

December 14, 2007 at 03:26 AM · Greetings,

Raphael, that`s interesting about the Arrau thing. I haven`t listened to them for a while but I -really- didn`t like Arrau and Szigeti in the Beethoven sonatas. I really had a sens ethere was some kidn of issue going on. Maybe Mr Arrau doesn`t like anyone...

Cheers,

Buri

December 14, 2007 at 04:11 AM · I'm a great admirer of Claudio Arrau. The Beethoven 4th concerto, for example, seemed custom-made for him. But he did seem to have a constipated look on his face. What is the one dried fruit we could have prescibed for him? ;-)

December 14, 2007 at 04:29 AM · Greetings,

they don`t have to be dried to be efficacious.

Cheers,

Blurp

December 14, 2007 at 04:42 AM · Not classical, but the concept haunts me:

Paul Anka performing Nirvana's "Smell's Like Teen Spirit."

Actually, it's more than a concept. If you have the courage:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TsS811o21-k

And perhaps the freakiest part of it all is that on some level the version actually works. Can't believe I wrote that. You see, the damage has been done to me. My soul is lost.

Watch at your own risk.

December 14, 2007 at 12:31 PM · I would like to heard Oistrakh playing Bartok second, Vieuxtemps 4 and 5 and Wieniawski both.

(BTW, Wieniawski first by Igor, is one of the

best I ever heard)

December 23, 2007 at 06:42 PM · Here's one to think about or imagine:

Louis Spohr playing the Paganini First Concerto.

December 23, 2007 at 06:59 PM · Ooh, how about Joachim playing some cute little Kreisler miniatures? I always imagined Joachim as the epitome of seriousness...not sure he'd be quite suited to salon pieces...

December 23, 2007 at 09:33 PM · Maxim Vengerov playing the Walton Viola Concerto.

December 26, 2007 at 03:56 AM · Florence Foster Jenkins singing the national Anthem...

No, Florence Foster Jenkins singing anything patriotic!

It would be priceless as a DVD to see the politician's reactions.

Note, if you have not heard Florence's rendition of the noble art of singing.....you MUST, your education is incomplete without it. Clips are available online, I believe.

December 26, 2007 at 03:59 AM · I feel bad about mentioning Florence already by the way. No one knew whether she was actually serious or not.......poor woman.

December 26, 2007 at 02:03 PM · Roelof - if you scroll back to my post on her in this thread, you will already find one link to a clip of her. Googling will produce others.

December 26, 2007 at 02:15 PM · A quote from her that I like is something like: you might not like my singing, but nobody can say I didn't sing. Don't be too quick to feel sorry for her.

December 26, 2007 at 04:37 PM · She ended her "career" "singing" to a sold out Carnegie Hall audience. How many of us can brag of doing that (especially those of us who aren't exactly Heifetz on the violin)?

December 26, 2007 at 06:59 PM · My voice teacher Stanly Kolk was studying in New York. He came basically from the country and had a friend that also came from the country, who was studying in New York. Her family was coming over to visit her (and I guess didn't really know much about opera). So, Stanly's friend sat her family down and told them she had made a new recording of opera and proceeded to play a recording of Florence Foster Jenkins. Stanly enhanced the story by mimicking the family at first nodding to each other saying or thinking "this is opera," before they got the joke.

Tom sorry I didn't see the post you had about her already.

I also heard that Lily Pons, at a concert of Florence's, was laughing so badly that she had to be carried out of the auditorium, after stuffing kleenex in her mouth to stop the laughing didn't help.

I also heard a concert of her's sold out quicker than the Rose Bowl.

December 27, 2007 at 04:24 AM · Andre Rieu (sp?) playing almost anything of substance. Got to admire him though, for finding the right niche, and becoming so successful with it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic