A 14year olds Journey to the Juilliard Pre-College Auditions

December 10, 2007 at 06:51 AM · Hi People that read my last post of me going to audition for the Juilliard Pre-College! Well . . . Im gonna make u read this entire post before u find out!!!! My audition was at 11:00 AM(eastern standard time).

First off: When I came in the judges asked me to warm-up, so I did I played C,G,D, and A major three octave scales and then A, E, B and F# harmonic minor scales. I'm guess they wanted to see how I warm up or something liek that. After that I ran through Wohlfahrt Opus 74 No 27 or in book no. 2 its number 32. At the end of the Wohlfahrt one of the judges made a comment to another and the one that made the comment asked me to preceed to the concerto. So, I played through the Telemann Concerto's 3rd and 4th movements. After playing the two movements, the only male judge smiled at me and told me to play 5 major 3 octave scales, 2 three octave melodic minor and 1 three octave harmonic minor. So i played F major, E major, Ab major, B major, and C major. For the Melodic minors I choose A minor and C minor. For the Harmonic minor I choose D minor.

At the end of the audition, One of the older female judges clapped pointed to the door. At this point, I was afriad that they had told me to leave the room and leave the building as in I didn't make it, but as I was putting my instrument away the younger girl judge(about 30) called me back in and the 3 gace me a critique.

I received several comments about I might want to put more emphasise on phrasing in the 4th movement of the Telemann. The male judge (in his late 30's early 40's) said " You played the 3rd movement was something I would expect from Yuri Bashmet or the late Lionel Tertis. You played it superbly". The older female judge commented " When you entered the competition about a year ago I heard you and your quartet play 'Ravel's String Quartet in F major' it was excellent and you played just as fine as u did then as you do now". The younger female judge said " This was most likely something I wouldn't expect coming from a violist of your age. Most violist are forced on the viola becuz their orchestra needs more violist and it takes time for the new violist to adapt to the size of the viola. You displayed traits that I would expect to see in a violist in the New York Philiharmoic".

So after about a 10 minuet critique they quietly wisper amongst them selves for a minuet, and then one by one my eyes examed the three judges. Then the young women said " Well, Mr. Newman its looks like you'll be staying here in New York!" and the man stood up and shook my hand, the older woman stood up and hugged me(which i oddly didn't expect) and the young female shook my hand and congradulated me! This has to be the greatest day of my life!!!!!!!

Replies (30)

December 10, 2007 at 07:11 AM · lol. That's great! I remember the other thread. I'd say you're on your way to great things. Just work hard and play hard.

December 10, 2007 at 01:06 PM · >Im gonna make u read this entire post before u find out!!!!

That's why I simply skipped over the post to the last line. : )

Seriously, though, big congrats!

December 10, 2007 at 01:14 PM · This is great! Congrats! Let us know how things are going with you from time to time.

Ihnsouk

December 10, 2007 at 04:40 PM · I am thrilled for you Blake!! It sounds like it will be an exciting adventure for you! Thanks for letting us know how it all turned out.

December 10, 2007 at 04:57 PM · Hey! Congrats, Blake! I'm so happy for you. Also, let's hope your success will shut up all the bitter jealous people who bashed you in your previous post and said you were pretentious and whatnot ;-)

December 10, 2007 at 05:50 PM · Hey Blake!

Congratulations!

I didn't skip, I read thro, but I thought you'd got in! As I carried on reading it became clearer that it was heading that way anyway. I love a bit of excitement. And I love it when hard working people get the rewards they deserve. Good on you!

Work hard, play harder and keep humble! Then you'll be unstoppable!

December 10, 2007 at 07:16 PM · You obviously have talent and a maturity that is rare at your age. I have also been impressed by your writing! You provided a peek into the audition that was informative and fun. It would be a great read to keep a journal and share your experiences. I for one would look forward to each installment!

Success to you! You apparently have the discipline to achieve your goals! Do not forget to have fun in the process!

December 10, 2007 at 11:24 PM · Thank you all for you wonderful comments!!!!

John -- I have to give thanks to my present english teacher which I will sadly have to leave behind :'[

and

Do you people think that I will be able to join a youth orchestra, or will Juilliard consume my life?

December 11, 2007 at 04:36 AM · Viola Rule!

Congrats!!!!!

December 11, 2007 at 04:44 AM · Oh man you are so lucky. I am 15 but i had only been playing for around almost a year. How long have you been playing? How did you pratice your scales? How long do you pratice? I would love to be in Juilliard Pre College but no one I know lives in NYC >< and im not advanced enough yet.

December 12, 2007 at 01:05 AM · Well Brooke, I have been playing for eight years. I practice roughly 3-4 hours daily. For my scales my teacher and I came up with our own little version of scalesto put it simply I ran up the first tetracord of the scale and run back down then i go up to the 2 octave; run up and down the first tetracord and I do the same with the 3rd.

and

YAY!!!! The first post like this got archived!!!! that is my first archived post and my first post that got above 50 responses!!!!

December 12, 2007 at 01:40 AM · Dude, Congradulations! There are a lot fewer people nolonger turning blue holding our breaths to hear the news, but few, if any, doubted you! Keep going bro you are on your way! Some day you'll be shown TV and we'll say, "Ya, I remember reading his pre and post Julliard writes on v.com."

December 12, 2007 at 02:48 AM · YEAH!!! Good news all around! Congratulations!

December 12, 2007 at 03:09 AM · Wow. That's so exciting!

December 12, 2007 at 10:58 AM · Hey Blake,

Just to keep your English up, maybe now and again you could blog on here once you start at Juilliard?

I know you'll be working your socks off, but you have a super way of writing and 'giving a peek' into a different world. Never know, writing could become a sideline?

CONGRATS again on getting in.

December 13, 2007 at 05:17 AM · Brilliant!!!

Bravissimo!!!

December 14, 2007 at 09:16 PM · I will definately start blogin when I start Juilliard.(sorry for the slow respons I was out of town)

and!

THANK U ALL FOR THE SUPPORT AND AMAZING COMMENT U HAVE LEFT ME!!!!

December 14, 2007 at 10:21 PM · Always remember that you have people here for you. All I can do is be moral support. But you have the real vets to call on. Do Not Hesitate To Call On Them. They have opened themselves up to you.

March 25, 2008 at 01:13 AM · Yay violist!

March 27, 2008 at 02:39 AM · This is a good news story that can be taken as a parable:

Person speaks up in a public forum, says he's good at what he does, asks for advice.

Some, but not all, say, "maybe you are not so good".

Person goes away, discouraged, thinking wow, what a weird response.

Person comes back, having done what they said they could do. Person's honesty is proved. Exclamations of praise. Many begin to realise that public testimony is often true, and accurate, though at first hard to believe.

Truth is better than fiction.

March 27, 2008 at 05:41 AM · Congratulations, Blake. I enjoyed reading about your audition and, especially, the happy ending.

March 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM · Congratulations!

March 27, 2008 at 04:26 PM · Congratulations! What a great story! Now you just have to keep practicing your butt off.

March 28, 2008 at 02:54 AM · Congratulations!! I did read your whole thing even knowing I could just skip and read the last sentence :)

March 28, 2008 at 03:06 AM · Congrats! Just wondering, were you living somewhere else and transferred schools to New York in order to attend the Juilliard pre-college program?

March 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM · Congratulations, i hope you have a great schooling experience there. The world needs great violists.

March 29, 2008 at 10:47 PM · Um, no I don't start until this fall at Juilliard and I don't start in New York school until this fall we are moving to our appartment in NY this summer

April 27, 2008 at 02:11 AM · Who will you be studying with at the Juilliard Pre-College?

April 27, 2008 at 03:32 AM · I loved reading about your audition! Congratulations! I wish you the best next year! Please keep us updated!

June 28, 2008 at 06:10 PM · YAY CONGRATS!! :)

keppy us updated on what you do and what pieces you play!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic