You know you are a violin geek when......Act II

December 3, 2007 at 01:16 AM · I was taking my daughter to the doctor, when in the parking lot we heard a firetruck or ambulance in the background. She told me that the sound reminded her of a Lipizer (sp) vibrato exercise she had been doing.. she was waiting for the dotted eighth followed by 16th note and triplets etc.

We have all had something like that happen. What makes you a violin/string/music geek?

Replies (100)

December 3, 2007 at 05:44 PM · Hi, Albert: OK, OK; to inaugurate the reincarnation of the geek thing, how about this - You know you're a violin geek when you think of your moving your car's gearshift as "up bow" and "down bow."

(Sorry, it's the best I can do on a Monday)

Sandy

December 3, 2007 at 06:05 PM · FAR OUT! I KNEW SOMEONE WAS GOING TO DO A SECOND ACT!!!

Sandy, lol!

Albert, what you described was something that happened with my brother and I as teenagers. He was playing the guitar and I was playing along with him on the violin, and sirene went by and our Grandmother asked, "What was that?" He and I said, "B flat!" And we were right!

December 3, 2007 at 07:05 PM · You know you are a violin geek when: you REALLY care about what people think and say on V.com!!

Thanks Albert for the act II!

December 3, 2007 at 07:48 PM · Thanks Albert. I thought of it. But you DID IT!

Next time mebbe I won't be so shy!

December 3, 2007 at 07:51 PM · Royce--that was a cut and paste of Jodi's original post.

You know you are a violin geek when you give the violin the bed in the spare bedroom, and mean it.

December 3, 2007 at 08:03 PM · Bet you can tell how much I've told that one!

Spare bedroom! LOL

December 3, 2007 at 08:17 PM · ...When you design dream homes, and include a music room that is larger than your bedroom

December 4, 2007 at 01:04 AM · Why the spare bedroom? Heck, true violin geeks will give their violins their bedrooms and will sleep in the guest bedroom themselves! ;)

December 3, 2007 at 11:17 PM · I got tired of sleeping on the floor.

December 3, 2007 at 11:24 PM · You know your a violin geek when;

You have to start a second thread to keep going. :)

December 4, 2007 at 03:04 AM · I was hoping someone would start a sequel to the original. These posts are entertaining and yet very true. Here's my contribution:

You're a violin geek when you have memorized the sound and stylistic idiosyncrasies of famous violinists past and present, deceased or living.

December 4, 2007 at 01:07 PM · OK, to take off on that one - You know you're a violin geek when within one measure you can tell whether it's Hillary Hahn or Joshua Bell playing, but you don't know the names of the Spice Girls.

You know you're a violin geek when all you want for Christmas is your sound post adjusted.

December 4, 2007 at 01:47 PM · Add to the Christmas list:

You know you're a violin geek when you ask Santa Claus for a well-controlled downbow staccato.

December 4, 2007 at 04:54 PM · You know you're a violin geek when you know how to pronounce Vieuxtemps and Ysaye.

You know you're a violin geek when you can hum the main tunes from the Schoenberg Violin Concerto (Pardon me; "tunes" should read "12-tone sequences").

You know you're a violin geek when you know all of the names between Pablo and Sarasate.

You know you're a beginning violin geek when you know who wrote the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto.

You know you're a violin geek when your first reaction to the terms "first position" and "third position" is that they refer to violin playing and not the sex clinic.

You know you're a violin geek when "fingering the Bach" means figuring out where to put your fingers for each note, rather than ratting out Bach to the cops.

You know you're a violin geek when you have mastered the finger, wrist, arm, shoulder, and kneecap vibratos.

You know you're a violin geek when you can play Moto Perpetuo in tenths.

You know you're a violin geek when you cut the fingernails of your left hand shorter than those of your right hand.

You know you're a violin geek when you come prepared for your violin lesson.

You know you're a violin geek when you no longer put chocolate fudge frosting on top of your rosin cake.

You know you're a violin geek when you find something wrong with Jascha Heifetz.

You know you're a violin geek when you no longer use Kreisler cadenzas.

You know you're a violin geek when you start playing Vivaldi concertos on the mandolin.

You know you're a violin geek when you give up playing Vivaldi concertos on the mandolin.

You know you're a violin geek when you refer to the violin concertos and sonatas by opus number rather than by name.

You know you're a violin geek when you find musical content in scales and etudes.

You know you're a violin geek when you avoid using the TV clicker because you're scared of getting finger tendonitis.

You know you're a violin geek when you can identify all of the schmaltzy violin solos in an elevator.

You know you're a violin geek when you start cranking out violin geek jokes.

December 4, 2007 at 06:41 PM · "You know you're a violin geek when you cut the fingernails of your left hand shorter than those of your right hand."

You know you're a violin geek when you NEVER allow those nails to GROW!

And you find one of the etudes by Wohlfhart (Opus 74 No 36) one of the most tuneful/beautiful etudes ever (I'm a beginner - haven't heard it all yet)

December 4, 2007 at 07:57 PM · You take it for granted that you spend six hours a day locked up alone in a (dark) room, and forget that your friends don't.

December 4, 2007 at 09:25 PM · Friends, you say... I hear ya.

December 4, 2007 at 09:37 PM · Dude! Ya'll mean there are other's who are friends other than my violin????????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

December 4, 2007 at 11:15 PM · You know you're a violin geek when half your Facebook pictures involve instruments. ;)

December 5, 2007 at 06:43 AM · ...when you hyperventilate trying to figure out how to get more oomph from your practice time.

December 5, 2007 at 06:18 PM · If you don't play for 24 hours you begin having tremors and start foaming at the mouth and say something like, "Give me a bow man I gott'a get the monkey off my back!"

December 5, 2007 at 07:53 PM · You LOVE spending time standing up in a cold-ish porch because there's no TV in there, you won't disturb anyone and the acoustics are MARVELLOUS!

December 5, 2007 at 10:18 PM · "You LOVE spending time standing up in a cold-ish porch because there's no TV in there, you won't disturb anyone and the acoustics are MARVELLOUS!"

But, you won't because you don't want the violin to get cold. ;)

December 5, 2007 at 10:45 PM · Depends how COLD is cold... :)

If it doesn't go out of tune that means not too much of a temp shock so OK.

I can always turn up the radiator a bit :)

I was worried during a lesson once. The teacher felt under the weather and hot. So she opened the window. I had to stand right near it so she could see me as she accompanied me on the piano. It must have been near zero (Centigrade) outside, and the violin kept going out of tune within minutes of being tuned. Fortunately (for my violin) she wondered if I'd get cold and suggested closing it halfway through the lesson.

December 5, 2007 at 11:46 PM · Well let me say if for you then. Hey! Teachuh! Leave that kid alone. Actually, I am that particular about taking care of my violin even if it's not a strad. ;)

December 6, 2007 at 08:32 AM · You know you're a violin geek when you have to choose between your husband and your violin, and you choose your violin. (I did something similar to this with my ex-husband. I still have my violin.)

December 6, 2007 at 09:12 AM · I bet you made the right choice.

December 6, 2007 at 01:29 PM · when you have a violin neckless and but it on whenever you go to places where people don't know that youre a violinist just to show them what you stand for.

when you talk to your violin and kiss it.

when you wish for something that has got to do with the violin for christmas.

when you hear violin in a song you go: oh, nice violin! everytime.

December 6, 2007 at 03:43 PM · When you are at work and nine out of ten voices in your head are telling you that you should have stayed at home and polished your violin.

December 6, 2007 at 09:11 PM · You're a violin geek if you know what a chanterelle is

December 7, 2007 at 01:03 AM · Okay, I must be a geek then, but what do mushrooms have to do with this?

December 7, 2007 at 03:00 AM · You know you're a violin geek when the arrival of the Takacs Quartet in town is tantamount to the Beatles suddenly showing up. Yeeeeeeeek!

December 7, 2007 at 04:26 AM · Edwin: You're a violin geek if you know what a chanterelle is

Emily: Okay, I must be a geek then, but what do mushrooms have to do with this?

Ah, but quite a ways into the Google results, it turns out that a chanterelle is also the highest string of a stringed instrument.

Since we're all violin geeks, this will apparently be on the test, so I'm just being helpful.

December 7, 2007 at 04:51 AM · Dude, you accusin' me of googling my chanterelle IQ? No way, I got that one from Food Network.

December 7, 2007 at 05:52 AM · Wait'll you're 40-something and have to google all the time just to refresh memory. Hit ain't pertty, hit ain't pertty a'tall.

December 7, 2007 at 01:39 PM · You know you're a violin geek if you refuse to wear a necklace, or any rings/bracelts/watch on your left hand.

You know you're a violin geek if you own a humidifier and leave it on in your "violin room."

You know you're a violin geek if you scoff at women violinists who paint their nails, ugh!

You know you're a violin geek if you practice in the bathroom (it sounds like a cathedral in there!)

December 7, 2007 at 09:35 PM · It's amazing how the highest and lowest strings of our instrument can be the subject of scintillating and colorful conversations, especially when people overhear and come in the middle of conversations between violinists and other string players. Here's an example: when violinists talk about purchasing the newest G string or even breaking one. Imagine the reaction of shock and confusion when others outside the string playing community hear us talking and also when they see the neck mark which most violinists and violists have.

And finally, you might be a violin geek if you have taken the time to trace whoever played the great Stradivarius and Guarnerius del Gesu violins before its present owner or violinist. For example: the 1714 Soil Stradivarius violin played and owned by Itzhak Perlman was played by Yehudi Menuhin previously.

Interestingly, one of the more popular stories involves Joshua Bell's current violin the 1713 Gibson (ex-Huberman) Stradivarius, and you can read the story on his website in his bio. Here's the address: http://www.joshuabell.com/biography

December 7, 2007 at 10:27 PM · You know you're a violin geek when you hear a performance of Op. 35 (see earlier joke) and can recount which cuts/interpolations were taken.

December 8, 2007 at 04:16 AM · You know you are a violin (viola) geek when your friends & family gives you stocking stuffers such as:

- A new set of strings

- Gift Certificate (violin related store)

You know you are a violin (viola) geek when you buy a home soley on its acoustical qualities of the "music room".

You know you are a violin (viola) geek when you remodel the same music room for even better acoustics.

You know you are a serious violin (viola) geek when you use an osilloscope instead of a tuner.

December 9, 2007 at 02:34 AM · You know all the viola jokes (and proudly tell them.)

December 9, 2007 at 07:57 PM · ...when you go to the dusty basement to practice because company comes and you have new strings.

December 10, 2007 at 07:26 PM · You know you're a violin (or music) geek when you can tell that you're getting a cold by the notes your nostrils make when you blow your nose. Like when your normal whole step Eb and F turn into a perfect fourth, C and an F. I mean...not that I actually do that, of course. (blush)

December 10, 2007 at 11:35 PM · I actually had a fountain pen customed made from flamed maple and varnished the same color as my violin...

December 11, 2007 at 06:55 PM · YOU KNOW YOU'RE A VIOLIN GEEK IF.....

...you refuse to wear a necklace, or any rings/bracelts/watch on your left hand.

...you own a humidifier and leave it on in your "violin room."

...you scoff at women violinists who paint their nails, ugh!

...when all you want for Christmas is your sound post adjusted.

...you know how to pronounce Vieuxtemps and Ysaye.

...you cut the fingernails of your left hand shorter than those of your right hand.

...you try to find something wrong with Jascha Heifetz.

...the words "modern Italian" have nothing to do with a fashionable foreigner.

...when you are out having fun and nine out of ten voices in your head are telling you that you should have stayed home and practiced your violin.

...you're sitting last chair second violin but still believe you could be a better violist than the principal violist.

...you refuse to turn the page when you're the outside player on a stand.

...you avoid lifting heavy things in fear of tendonitis.

...you adjust the thermostat in your house so that your violin is comfortable.

...you believe that you actually speak Italian somewhat.

...you never play contact sports for fear of hurting your hands.

...you sit still between movements of a piece, even when you're at home listening to recordings haha.

December 11, 2007 at 08:30 PM · Hey Marina-

I have nine out of ten voices tell me things also!

December 11, 2007 at 09:12 PM · probably just wolf tones Roy.

December 12, 2007 at 01:54 AM · Hey Al.........Yep, Yer right. Disregard last statement! :)

December 12, 2007 at 02:10 AM · If they start arguing, change your strings and listen to Stravinsky fer three days--that should take care of it.

December 12, 2007 at 03:08 AM · You spend weeks consider the size of your violins environmental footprint, and use it to guilt yourself into practicing more.

December 12, 2007 at 06:39 PM · when you wake up in the middle of the night and you either 1: get up and practice

2: reach for your internet mobile phone and read the latest discussions on violinist.com

December 12, 2007 at 07:42 PM · You know you are a violin geek when you think the luthiers are cool.

December 12, 2007 at 08:19 PM · When you get out your Christmas decorations, and your daughter plays two Christmas decorative bells and says to you "look mom a diminished 5th" and you shake your head and say jokingly "shut up" and secrectly wish you had her pitch :)

December 13, 2007 at 02:14 PM · You know you're a violin geek when you listen to an orchestra recording and just by listening can recognize the playing of the violinist sitting in the first violin section, 4th row, inside stand.

December 13, 2007 at 03:08 PM · You know you're a violin geek when you waste, ahem, I mean . . spend time on v.com when you should be studying for finals. ;)

December 13, 2007 at 03:35 PM · aaahh, Ruth, caught me red-handed!

December 13, 2007 at 03:48 PM · Ruth.... DITO!

You Know You Are A Violin Geek "from WYOMING" When; You and the boys are back at Hunting Camp and you get into a fight for changing the Rheba McAntire CD with one of Hilary Hahn's; Instead of a girly magazine you brought "Strings" or "Strad"; You had a violin painted in either camoflauge, or blaze orange so you can practice your Etudes when everyone else winds down with a beer!

December 13, 2007 at 04:58 PM · Hi Ruth,

I did exactly the same when stressing, stuck doing some coursework I couldn't get my head around. In the end I had to resort to going somewhere with my laptop that didn't have internet access so I was forced to work with no distractions ha ha!

Way to go if you get desperate!

December 13, 2007 at 06:28 PM · When (sadly) you have to choose your daughter's right hand over her left hand to prick her finger to test her blood for her diabetes.

When you take your violin to your doctor appoinment and actually play Mozart 2 for the doctor (who by the way owns an seat in the orchestra hall) :)

May 6, 2008 at 05:14 PM · Sorry, I had to revive this thread. Just yesterday, I was coming out of a side road (my fault for not looking) and whoosh..! a car zoomed passed on the main road and gave a big big HO...ONK!

My 5 year old asked me " Why does the car horn sound like a chromatic?"

How do you answer that in 5 year old terms?

May 6, 2008 at 05:43 PM · You know your a violin geek if:

you look first at a persons finger-nails when they say that they play the violin to see if it's REALLY true

When you adjust the temperature in your house so your violin is comfortable even if you're too hot.

When you carry on coversations with your violin about how your practice session is going and what to do to make it better (but watch out if you hear your violin answer you back!! :-)

May 6, 2008 at 06:33 PM · ...When you refer to pieces of music ONLY by the name of the composer (and the concerto number, if there's more than one). For example:

"Are you familiar with...THE BRAHMS?"

"The other day I was playing...THE BEETHOVEN."

"What's that on the radio, you ask? It's... MOZART 5."

"THE ELGAR...drives me crazy."

If you do this, then you can be classified as...THE VIOLIN GEEK.

May 6, 2008 at 08:09 PM · Debra, why isn't your violin talking to you? Is it mad at you or something? Hate when that happens.

May 6, 2008 at 09:10 PM · Here we go again Yeaaaah!

You know you are a violin geek when you name your new born twins Schradieck Book 1 and Schradieck Book 2.

May 6, 2008 at 10:07 PM · LOL! Ohhh I get it - it is okay for my violin to talk to me. I think I was a little to worried about the "voices" in my head.

May 6, 2008 at 11:16 PM · You know you're a violin geek when your family is familiar with the themes of every major violin concerto.

May 6, 2008 at 11:33 PM · ...when you recognize the Brahms vln. concerto 3rd movement in "There Will Be Blood" and your kids recognize it from the other room, too (because you have made them listen to it in the car!)...

May 7, 2008 at 12:12 AM · I almost said something about voices in the head but thought it to be a little over the top.

...when the voices in your head urge you to stay home and clean your instrument(s).

...when you have a bumper sticker say, "A bad day in violin session is better than a good day at work."

May 7, 2008 at 01:49 AM · You know you're a violin nerd when...

- Your family goes interstate for a week and immediately you shout 'YES!', because it means you can practise later than 10pm at night. When asked by friends and colleagues if you'll throw a house party, you reply 'No, I'm practising more this week'.

- You secretly fear your hands being crushed by heavy doors.

- You actually LIKE playing Sevcik. Ditto for scales.

- You read the discussion board on V.com instead of preparing your tutorial questions.

- You make it a habit to frequently visit the music library on campus... and you're studying a completely different degree to music.

And finally...

- Your teacher declares you to be a violin nerd.

May 7, 2008 at 02:05 AM · Someone has to put all these, and the originals, on a t-shirt!

May 7, 2008 at 01:58 PM · When you make your own shoulder padding thingy from the rubber foam that was originally in your computer mouse mat..

May 7, 2008 at 02:29 PM · when you talk in your sleep,,,shoulder rest, to be or not to be...

May 8, 2008 at 12:43 PM · ...when you dream of being on "Playing Violin With The Stars."

May 8, 2008 at 01:07 PM · I woke up this morning with 2 trucks outside my apartment. They blasted their horns and it came out G & D. Upon being startled I thought it was my violin calling to me... it didn't even seem like a crazy notion at the time lol.

May 9, 2008 at 11:48 PM · When you bump your violin case into a door or a table and shout "OWW!" very loudly.

May 10, 2008 at 11:41 PM · I think this is more for a music geek:

My daughter said to me one day " I think Miley Cyrus drops her consanants at the ends of her singing phrase.".... meanwhile I am thinking .... (she is dropping more than phrases lately ) :O

sorry ::wink::

May 11, 2008 at 12:14 AM · ... when you come home from work at 8.30, having only taken lunch that day, and spend the next hour sitting x-legged with a practice mute on to knock those orchestral parts into shape or stop your elusive Bach from slipping away again ...

May 11, 2008 at 08:22 PM · When I walk I lean to the left or right side, compensating for the imaginable violin case on my shoulder.

May 12, 2008 at 02:00 AM · When you look at your receipt at the restaurant:

FOUR CHEESE PIZZ $5.99

and think "Four cheese pizzicato?!?"

May 12, 2008 at 04:18 AM · Really?

I looked at $5.99 and thought viola....

Cheers,

Buri

May 12, 2008 at 05:12 AM · When you forego job promotions because you jealously guard the daily practice time and refuses to work evenings and weekends, and you accept a job because the office is close to your teacher’s studio so that you can take lessons during lunch breaks.

May 12, 2008 at 05:37 AM · ^^^^^^^^

oh,nice one Yixi !!!

May 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM · I just thought of this - not to change the subject, but you know you're a Star Trek geek when you accidentally call your TV a viewscreen.

May 19, 2008 at 06:57 AM · ...if you start getting nightmares about your violin getting cold.

Then you take it out of the case and sneak it under the blanket.

May 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM · You know for sure that you are a violin geek when you are preparing your first travel to New York from Spain and can only think of how to find violin-related places to visit there :D

June 19, 2008 at 09:53 PM · Ok, here's one from last night.

My son was watching a commercial about cars when he started laughing hestarically (sp). I asked him what he was laughing at and he said

"They said Crysler mommy". I was like yeah... then it just occurred to me. His sister has been practicing Kreisler. :) ahh kids

June 21, 2008 at 04:08 PM · You're quietly very happy to be staying at home rather than travelling abroad due to lack of cash because it means daily practise on a luthier made fiddle and not having to use a factory fiddle to practise on for those 2 weeks.

June 21, 2008 at 10:06 PM · When you debate whether Jessica Alba or Russell Crowe faked it better...

When you and three friends choose parts and try to sing the C Major fugue...

If you have ever gleefully paid $5,000 to lock yourself in a shack in the woods for seven weeks...

When you read Erica's comment and decide to run out and see There Will Be Blood...

June 21, 2008 at 10:19 PM · Nicole: it's a good movie too!

Erica : )

June 22, 2008 at 06:18 PM · You know you are a violin geek when:

- you know what is meant by Op. 35;

- you don't know which one is meant by Op. 35.

June 22, 2008 at 07:52 PM · You know you're a violin geek when all you check out from the library are scores, CD's and books on practicing.

June 22, 2008 at 10:04 PM · You know you are a violin geek when you buy 'another' violin simply because one you love is available, and refuse to count how many you already have

June 23, 2008 at 09:30 AM · when you meet someone, the first thing you think is that he would need a high shoulder rest.

June 23, 2008 at 04:24 PM · when you first meet someone you look at their hands and think "it's such a waste that someone with a long pinky like that isn't playing violin."

June 25, 2008 at 12:38 PM · You know you're a violin geek when you play the piano with vibrato.

You know you're a violin geek when you try to play your banjo using a bow, just to see if it can be done.

June 25, 2008 at 01:16 PM · I admit it, Sander, I'm guilty. Not only have I tried to use my bow on my banjo, but also on the six and twelve string guitars, and the mandolin. It does work - sort of.

June 25, 2008 at 01:49 PM · You are a geek when v.com is your home page.

June 25, 2008 at 02:02 PM · Tom,

I'm guilty.

You know you're a violin geek when you'd rather practice than eat cake.

You know you're a violin geek when you upload more photos of your violin than yourself to your myspace, facebook, blog, or livejournal. Speaking of which...

June 25, 2008 at 04:42 PM · You know you're a violin geek when . . .

* You say goodnight to your violin before you say goodnight to your spouse.

* You prolong your stay in the bathroom so you can finish working out the fingering and dynamics in those few measures.

June 25, 2008 at 09:44 PM · Alright alright here we go again.

You know you are a geek when your violin child says "Look mom" and as she holds the spatchula for flipping pancakes and you don't get it but she is showing you her bow grip... this also applies to eating french fries and pencils.

You know that you are a mom violin geek when you start saying swim rehearsal instead of practice... also applies to soccer and basketball

This has been really fun to see such cool answers

June 26, 2008 at 02:46 PM · You know you're a geek when you'd rather play violin with a bunch of musicians at a barbeque than eat any of the food.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe