Violins

December 3, 2007 at 01:16 AM · I'm curious to know what violins everyone plays on. Maker? Characteristic? Price? Please share.

Replies (97)

December 3, 2007 at 01:50 AM · I will play on anything. My favorite is my Amati, but during the summer when I am in Europe I play on a John Juzek purchased from ebay for $350.I can accomplish quite a bit on that violin even though it doesn't have the color range of the better violins.

December 3, 2007 at 02:10 AM · Salvatore Callegari. My third--I love it. But I'm also too green to know better.

December 3, 2007 at 02:31 AM · I play on an old, pretty battered Mittenwald violin from the mid-1800's that's unlabeled. It has a bunch of repaired cracks, looks, uh, quite (very) well-used, DEFINITELY needs work on the edges, let alone all of the pegs rebushed and replaced and the fingerboard replaned, and there's a spot completely worn through the varnish on the upper right shoulder where who knows how many hands have rubbed it going into position, plus two of the four corners are completely worn down, but I really, really like the way it sounds. I'm hoping to save, little by little, the dollars to fix some of these things. I already fixed one of the corners, and I had a humongous crack under the chinrest repaired a while ago. I'll just keep plugging.

By the way, this instrument was picked up at either an auction or a garage sale in the 1920's by my grandmother, and my father played it as well.

December 3, 2007 at 03:36 AM · Mine is a lovely dark brown instrument with more than its own share of cracks and chips (some of them my own fault)with the label "Copy of Nicolaus Amatus Made in Germany" -which tells me that it's at least sixty years old (otherwise, as someone pointed out, it would say "East" or "West" Germany).

Rich, lovely, resonant sound. I'm saving up to have a big crack repaired (that, fortunately, wasn't my fault; I got it that way some twenty years ago!)

December 3, 2007 at 11:16 AM · Workshop of Pierre Hel, Lille, France. Made in 1927. I got it in Wilmington, Delaware for $15000. It has a HUGE sound, with brilliance, but wtill rich and warm, wehich is a pleasure to listen to. It's great for solo, chamber, AND orchestra!

December 3, 2007 at 01:24 PM · My 15-yr-old son plays a 2005 Tetsuo Matsuda made in Barrington, Illinois. We purchased it for about $17,000 from a shop in Albuquerque, NM. He looked for two years and this instrument clearly projected better, than any in the $15,000 - 30,000 range he looked at, both old and new. It was also much more even across the strings and in all positions than the other instruments he tried. I would characterize its sound as smooth, clean, sweet and very loud. It is apparently very easy to play, which I think is a good indication of a good instrument. As my son has come to know it better and as it has opened up he is finding he is able to get a nice range of colors. I think it will be good enough to get him through conservatory. At least that is what we are hoping.

We just purchased a beautiful instrument for our 13-yr-old made by Philip Perret whose shop is in New York. It was originally made in 1989 in Zurich for a student of Glen Dicterow's. It is a highly antiqued and modeled after a 1742 Joseph Guarnerius. This instrument has a warm, powerful, round tone. In my opinion it is really a very special instrument. We bought it from a shop in Winston Salem, NC and paid about $20,000 for it.

We also own a Heberlein that my husband's grandmother brought with her when she immigrated from Denmark. It has the original label and is in beautiful condition. It always stood up nicely against the advancing student violins like Deutsch and others. It has a peculiar, dark red varnish. The difference between this instrument and the Perret or the Matsuda is that it doesn't respond well to the demands of advanced repertoire. Its sound can be crushed easily, especially when playing chords. It can be frustrating to play when you need to get real volume. I think it is valued at about $ 2,500. It absolutely met my son's needs until he began to play works like Lalo, Khachaturian Violin Concerto, Bach Fugues and it is terrific for fiddling. I often see Irish fiddlers with Heberleins.

December 3, 2007 at 09:28 PM · What I play on is the subject of much expert debate. The label says it is a Bailly. However, over the years, various experts, none of whom has ever agreed with any other and one of whom changed his view, have disagreed even over whether it is French or German. Only one thought it was an authentic Bailly. But I love it.

It cost relatively little when my parents bought if for me in 1966 in Paris. What it is worth depends on which of the experts is correct about its origin.

December 3, 2007 at 08:14 PM · Sean, you'll find that not many people will respond to the price of their instrument, mainly because it can attract the attention of thieves.

But as for what I play on, It's a German copy (unknown maker) of a 1795 Josef Klotz from Mittenwald, made around 1900

December 3, 2007 at 08:33 PM · Man! Some of y'all need to go to the violin geek thread with, "You know you're a violin Geek when your violin cost more than the car you drive...even your house!!!

But Hey, If I could I would too! Power Too Ya!

December 3, 2007 at 10:11 PM · I play on a 1929 Laurentius Storioni Cremona.

It is a highly expensive instrument with cannon like sound, and amazing ease to play sweet tunes such as Mozart...

December 3, 2007 at 10:15 PM · *1929*? Storioni? Sure you don't mean 1729, or something?

I play a Carlo Moretti, 1928, from Rome. Very elegantly made, a lovely shade of deep red-brown with a nice one-piece back. Very smooth, warm, rich sound.

December 3, 2007 at 10:42 PM · Greetings,

I think I@ve driven one of those...

Cheers,

Buri

December 3, 2007 at 11:04 PM · My violin is my sister's old instrument, an Angelo Sperzaga made in Cremona. It's about 10 years old, projects well, has nice range, and a relatively smooth, even tone. Its value has actually doubled since when my parents first bought it brand new . . .

December 3, 2007 at 11:17 PM · I am getting rid of a Gadda violin in exchange for a Kelvin Scott. It's $13,000 and absolutely incredible.

Josh I have looked at Testores, they can be amazing instruments. Quite ugly, all of them, but the sound can be amazing, and they're bargains compared to some of their colleagues.

December 4, 2007 at 12:10 AM · i play a german maggini copy, probably 150 years old or so. it's worn on the edges and also te varnish, the peg holes have been fixed and the fingerboard replaced but there are no cracks. the luthier whom i got it from claimed it to be worth 3000 euros.

the sound is full, dark and mellow but with power.

December 4, 2007 at 03:02 AM · I have a 1719 Stradivarius copy. The restorer that I bought it from is kind enough to let me pay monthly or when I can. So, I guess it is kind of like a loan until I pay it off. Let's just say, I'll be paying him until I get a career after I graduate college and some.

December 4, 2007 at 03:13 AM · I have a great old Italian, an Enzo Ferrari labeled Scuderia Ferrari 1929. It is highly flamed and has a quick response. I dare to say it will out pace any Strad or Amati out there.

December 4, 2007 at 03:27 AM · I mostly now play my John Hill viola circa 2004. I also have a 15" E. Martin Strad copy that is about 100 years old. Both cost considerably less than my car :)

December 4, 2007 at 03:31 AM · Storioni has descendants? Lorenzo lived in the 1700s, but I've never heard of Laurentius....

December 4, 2007 at 03:45 AM · Laurentius is the Latin form of Lorenzo. Like Antonius, Antonio.

December 4, 2007 at 03:45 AM · The world is full of different tastes, is what I'm saying.

December 4, 2007 at 03:54 AM · Michael,I thought Enzo Ferrari was the originator of Ferrari sport cars.In fact,I am positive he was.

Please advise,I'm usually incorrect.

December 4, 2007 at 04:19 AM · Joe, congratulations!! You know your Italians.

December 4, 2007 at 04:46 AM · ^

send me a pic----please !!!

I've owned 3 TR3A's

Triumphs..

Drove to Florida in a Morgan !!!

Patch Madras Top---British Racing Green--Wire Wheels--Leather Strap holding hood down----just beautiful !!!

December 4, 2007 at 05:09 AM · I had a tr7 briefly.

December 4, 2007 at 04:54 AM ·

December 4, 2007 at 04:57 AM · wow, just wow

December 4, 2007 at 05:19 AM · TR7's were UGLY !!!

December 4, 2007 at 07:52 AM · Didn't Enzo Ferrari also design the Austin 1800? I'd still have one today if they weren't so damned expensive to repair when the CV's drop onto the road. In the middle of a roundabout. With a baby in the back seat.

Maybe the austin couldn't oupace even my factory built strad copy, but it sure looks a lot better than the TR7. That was a dog's breakfast.

Yeah, but I love that car.

December 4, 2007 at 08:08 AM ·

December 4, 2007 at 09:26 AM ·

December 4, 2007 at 11:22 AM · tr7 and jaguar sedan looked good. The rest of the English cars looked like some mutant insect from Jupiter did it with a car and didn't use protection.

December 4, 2007 at 02:47 PM · "The rest of the English cars looked like some mutant insect from Jupiter did it with a car and didn't use protection".

I actually spit my morning coffee when I read that, damn! I'm still laughing!

December 4, 2007 at 02:44 PM · I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla. It is red. It has new tires.

I also have a 1920's unlabeled Eyetalian named "Guido".

December 4, 2007 at 03:21 PM · I don't have a car. So my car isn't named anything. But my Italian violin, who must have a terrible identity crisis by now, is named Milos Béla Károly von Takács-Szigeti. (Yep, that's another Hungarian name--the horror, the horror!)

December 4, 2007 at 04:12 PM · Emily clearly plays a mystery violin that cost millions of dollars.

Mara - your violin clearly needs a nickname. How about Petöfi or Kossuth?

December 4, 2007 at 04:56 PM · We had an MGTD for quite awhile. Had to, sniff sniff, sell it when we moved to the Colorado Snowcapped mountains. Seriously, never could keep it in tune. Also those Lucas electrical systems were a piece of work, whew.

December 4, 2007 at 05:48 PM · LOL Tom! :)

OK everybody--we all know your violin has a name. What is it? :) (Just add it to the criteria of discussion here...)

December 4, 2007 at 06:34 PM · I've probably taken a picture of one of Joe's TR3's if any were at a TRA or VTR meet where there was a panoramic photo made. I had a TR3B for a while, and Triumph Daytona 500. Now I mostly ride a bicycle; they're more reliable.

I have a number of violins around, but lately have mostly been playing on two modern violins that I got in for resale. One is a Ming Ziang Zhu Strad. The other is Del Gesu replica that a dealer in Ohio had made in China from north American tone woods. How's that for a culture mash-up? But it is my favorite fiddle at the moment, and I may not be able to let it go.

Of my older instruments my favorite is also fairly modern, a William Walls made in Florida in the 1960's.

December 4, 2007 at 06:31 PM · I'm currently playing a violin I've made in 2005 (Cannon model) and a viola I've made in 2007 based on Andrea Guarneri, pics of my viola can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/1437770048/

December 4, 2007 at 06:45 PM · Manfio, your viola is spectacular. I'd seen the photos before since I've followed the Maestronet forums where you post (I just recently got signed up there, and here).

I'd love to see one of your instruments in person someday. Do you have photos of any of your violins posted online?

Mark

December 4, 2007 at 10:30 PM · Just starting out... but I've got a "Franz Heisler(?)" Strad style with a pretty robust tone, about 15 years old. My other violin is a sweet sounding Czech "Stainer" copy, probably turn of the century. Neither of them are worth much, probably less than a grand together. They keep me entertained.

Pictures at: http://www.fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/photos.asp?id=1471

December 4, 2007 at 09:24 PM · Hi! Thank you Mark and Joshua! Mark, following Michael Tree's (Guarneri Quartet violist) advice I'm just making violas now. I've just came back from NY "viola trip", I met Michael Tree, Toby Appel and four members of the NYP viola section. My last violin is dated 2005, I can send you photos if you e.mail me privately. Ciao!

December 4, 2007 at 11:04 PM · My violin got named for me, Violet, with my old bow being named Bruce. Had a friend at school who used to be very imaginative, and wrote stories about the instruments in our music class getting together and doing fun stuff. However, for some reason, Violet and Bruce were the evil ones...

December 4, 2007 at 11:21 PM · I've got three very modest instruments which I've been switching between the last couple of years--a newish (2003) instrument allegedly made by an Italian named Mario Marchi, an old Lyon & Healy and and older (ca. 1860?) Tyrolean fiddle. I have several more that I need to get rid of so I can step up to something better.

December 5, 2007 at 02:37 AM · I recently acquired my new Dutch guy and it was love at first sight/sound: He's a Johannes Cuypers from 1784 and I absolutely adore him to bits - just so amazing getting to know what he can do. The answer to the other vital question all violinists have is that his name is Johannes, very original I know!

December 5, 2007 at 02:43 AM · My violin's name is Anakin, because I thought the boy, Hayden Christiansen, in the more recent STAR WARS was so cute!! AHHHH!!!

The bow's name is Johnny Depp.

December 5, 2007 at 03:21 AM · I played the violin of my own made 1994, sold it 2 months ago. Now I have to get by with a new one made in 2006. It's a bit too big for me. I am more used to Guarneri DG sized fiddle because my hands are small.

December 5, 2007 at 05:29 AM · Arthur Toman, 1995 (or is it 96?). and as for the sound... i'd say it sounds good, but only when i've been practicing. otherwise it either sounds out of tune or silent.

but seriously, LOTS of power in the upper register with some great clarity on the G and D. i really like it.

December 6, 2007 at 09:48 PM · Luis:

The viola is absolutely beautiful. It really is a wonderful testament to your crafting talent. Would you also post the Il Cannone? Thanks and great work!

Emil

December 7, 2007 at 01:12 AM · Grazie Signor Albanese (un nome Italiano, me pare). I've loaded some pics of one of the violins I made some years ago, based on Del Gesù's Cannone. The pics are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/?saved=1

December 7, 2007 at 08:27 AM · My cello was made in 2006-07 by Jasmine Davis and modeled on the 1739 Montagnana. Beautiful resonant open sound and so easy to play. But then I would love this cello no matter what it sounded like.

December 7, 2007 at 08:41 AM · I play a violin which I bought for about US$30. You'd be surprised... it doesn't sound half bad.

December 7, 2007 at 09:08 AM · how bad does it sound? ;)

December 7, 2007 at 09:47 AM · I'd say it has a presence... :)

December 7, 2007 at 05:13 PM · I used to play on a Klotz (18th century German violin) and although it had a sweet tone, it could be a little bit tight on the D and A strings, so I had to work quite hard to get much projection. In February this year I brought a brand new violin made by Martin McClean from Northern Ireland - and I'm really happy with it. It speaks well on all strings, has a bold tone but also allows a suprising amount of shading for a modern violin. A few colleagues have tried it and were very impressed.

I'm playing the new violin in the video clips in my profile. Regardless of the merits (or lack of!:-) ) in the perfomances, you can get a good idea of the qualities of the instrument.

December 7, 2007 at 11:57 PM · As posted before,I play on a 1925 Garimberti which will be put to shame in less than one hour when Karen Gomyo(sp?) plays the Saint Saens Concerto #3 with us on a gorgeous Strad.It has a botomless G string that I can feel in my ankles when she's playing! Its a very humbling experience....

December 8, 2007 at 03:22 AM · The Strad was made in 1704.

December 8, 2007 at 05:29 AM · Ha Putch, so does my husband's gas! ;)

December 8, 2007 at 05:59 AM · Karen's Strad is very beautiful...when hit hard, the open E string on that thing is to die for. Hopefully we'll hear more recordings from her soon, she is a very busy bee as far as touring goes!

December 8, 2007 at 07:18 AM · Marco Nolli, 2001.

E

December 8, 2007 at 12:34 PM · Putch- 'know what ya' mean! There are some really decent sounding fiddles that don't require selling your soul to buy.

I have an 2007, unlabled, $99.99 (AND THAT'S NOT ALL..IT COMES WITH AMAZING ASSESORIES!) violin made in China named Cairman Mao.

December 8, 2007 at 04:45 PM · Hummm... life is too short to drink bad wine and playing bad instruments... Of course that what is good and bad will depend on the player's ears and technique.

We know this cake is good and that one is bad because we had many different cakes in our life, so we developed a "reference table" to judge cakes. The same happens with musical instruments, we have to play many many in order to make a reference table to judge sound, style and craftmanship.

December 8, 2007 at 06:23 PM · Ah, Klotz. That old German maker. His instruments almost always have a scary high chest. His violins are narrow, so he made up for it by making the f holes long and the chest and back way highly arched. This was fine back then, as they were baroque instruments. Now, they all seem to have a tight sound, particularly on the upper strings.

December 8, 2007 at 07:51 PM · Stefan-Peter Greiner, 2004

December 8, 2007 at 07:53 PM · Ahh, I played a Klotz for a while a few years back! I recognize the physical description perfectly--the stupid thing had such an arched top that the soundpost wouldn't stay put. (Probably a lousy soundpost to begin with, but whatever.) It was lovely for Bach though...

December 8, 2007 at 09:54 PM · "I play a violin which I bought for about US$30. You'd be surprised... it doesn't sound half bad.

how bad does it sound? ;) "

There are many, many grades of $30 violin :)

I snook a peek at the violin Sam Bush had on tour with him (in the 80s) and it was an old type of student violin that I recognized. It was comparable to Mr. Berg's Juzek (if it's the "Made in Czechoslovakia" student line of Juzek).

December 8, 2007 at 10:43 PM · I tried to get on the "Greiner waiting list" but was never able to do so. I guess just being another philharmonic player who plays in the section, that is, not a soloist or a concertmaster, is not enough for the guy. If it sounds like I think he is a pompous ..., its because that is what I think of him.

I have heard his manager on the east coast of the states is just as bad. Bottom line, the guy thinks he's elite, when in truth there are other makers that are just as good (when they get this good its reallly a matter of personal choice). I know the other makers are just as good because I have plalyed many of them since and I actually liked some of the others better.

Funny, most of the makers in this industry are really nice guys, here is one that is a pompous......

December 8, 2007 at 11:44 PM · Manfio-

Don't call it bad wine, call it "vinegrette"! Always Look On The Bright Side of Life (whistle here.) Always Look On The Bright Side of Life (whistle here).

December 9, 2007 at 01:43 AM · G. Lucci. '80's I'm told. The fiddle sounds Italian to me--why I'm not sure. Be a while before I can get out what's in there...

December 9, 2007 at 05:40 AM · I have a 1928 Roth Strad copy. It was my father's. He purchased it when he was a boy for about 100 bucks. Now, he has given it to me when I decided to take lessons. I love it. I named it Jonathan after my dad.

December 9, 2007 at 05:58 AM · Jonathan Cooper---'Signature' 2005 #217

December 9, 2007 at 07:08 AM · A Needham, after playing more than 300 instruments over the last 3 years it is the best thing I have ever played. Everyday I think this violin will not impress me as much as it has before, but everyday it is better than before. It just flat-out bows me away, and it has never disappointed me! And its greatness shows up that much more in very demanding circumstances when the violin just had to put out: a recital in a big hall, an outside wedding, a solo gig with a big orchestra in a very big hall, etc. Bottom line: the violin just puts out whatever I put in, and the only limits are my limited chops.

I am also very impressed with the work of the following makers: Burgess, Belini, Seifert & Grubaugh, Croen, and Scott.

December 9, 2007 at 12:20 PM · Hmmm, just got the Klotz out again and had a look - it does have a slightly raised belly but nothing compared to some violins I've seen. It's a tricky one to characterise because there were several generations in the Klotz family who all made violins. In the 19th century there was a horrible fashion of steaming labels out of violins and collecting them so I'm not sure exactly which Klotz made this one but it was made around 1790 - 1800.

I have to say, this one is rather tight to play -it has a gorgeous sound, but can be hard work which is a shame.

I sometimes felt a bit tired after playing it and had to lie down and recover after long concerts :-)

I didn't realise until I switched how much I had been forcing the sound and how much easier life was with a different violin.

December 9, 2007 at 08:39 PM · I had a Greiner, and I know what you mean about him being a bit hard to work with. I am now playing on a beat up old Italian, waiting on Needham to change his finishes (best violin I have heard, but I want a darker finish on the violin and all the Needhams I have seen have been yellow! Well, the sound of the Needham is the reason I sold the Greiner only a few weeks after buying it (LOL) Also waiting to hear what Burgess is making for a friend. But after so many months of playing so many violins I am close to putting in my commission!

One thing about Greiner: there are so few of them here in the states that unloading one is rather easy.

December 9, 2007 at 08:46 PM · I like how for a while we started talkin about cars...

Well I play on a 1906 Ernst Heinrich Roth. It is great in all ranges and it's just a beautiful looking instrument.

December 9, 2007 at 10:30 PM · Jonathan,its ironic that you mention Karen hitting the E string.She did exactly that last night in an ascending arpeggio and knocked the bridge about a centimetre sideways on the Strad.We had to stop for about ten minutes and try to reposition it.

Karen had absolute nerves of steel and completed the last movement beautifully.Bravo Karen....

December 9, 2007 at 10:44 PM · Hi, I didn't want to say much but just wanted to clear up some misunderstandings about Peter Greiner. First of all, he is one of the most nicest and generous person(haven't met many makers to be honest) I've ever met and is amazed how he treats everyone with respect and honesty. I'm just a student, not a soloist with a big name, and the treatment I get from Peter is probably the same as Tetzlaff's. Anyways, I have a very good N Gagliano that I played on for 6 yrs but put up for sale as soon as I got a Greiner.

December 10, 2007 at 05:58 AM · Would you like me to give you a list of players who could not even get on his waiting list. Or better yet, a list of players who he never returned their emails. I mean players who are making a good living at this! When I was in LA the city was full of players saying this, I have read it from many on here already, and now I am on the other side of the US and I am hearing the same thing.

As for his violin: I found a used one in Germany and it knocked me out. When I came back to the states and compared it to the Needham out in CA, well it came up short. Which is not saying anything against the Greiner because the Needhams out there just delivers a huge punch.

Is he one of the elite makers in the world, yes, for sure! Is getting a Greiner a safe bet because they are such in demand? Yes, for sure, look at how fast I was able to unload mine! Is he, his representative hard to work with? YES! You are lucky to even get in touch with them. As Andrea wrote--pompous!

I am glad you got treated well, but the rest of us just get ignored! I contacted him when I was there to have him look at his violin that I had just bought. I wanted to pay him to adjust it, etc. He never returned my emails or phone calls! And I made many! I contacted him when I got back to the states, same thing!

Sorry, but I could not agree more with Andreas, and I know I could get you quite a long list of players who would tell you the same story!

December 10, 2007 at 07:03 AM · Hmm, he does everything for free.

and from what i know, he never answers his emails or do anything computer related. Plus he has a 6-7 yr waiting list so maybe he's not taking orders..i dont know. Did you try to contact his sales rep directly? She answers you back.

December 10, 2007 at 07:10 AM ·

December 11, 2007 at 01:57 AM · Yes I did contact his sales rep and got no where, as did everyone else I know. This man thinks seems to think he is beyone everyone else. I was lucky to get one, and it was good! Really good. But it is hard knowing how good a violin is without others to do an A-B comparison. When I did I liked the Needham much better. But then again, I only played 3 Greiners, and only compared this one to the Needham.

My problem is not that he is not a good maker, but that he thinks he is elite and does not deal with palyers. But I think the policy works because to many it just comes across like he is a notch better.

On the other hand, I know many who would have at least given his vioin a shot if he would have worked with them, they did not and they bought other great moderns. I think it will eventually catch up with him.

But hey, I am glad you had a good experience and you like your fiddle.

December 11, 2007 at 02:12 AM · Really, my $30 violin is passable for a beginner. Of course there are better sounding violins, more expensive too. But something I realized is that you can take a not-so-expensive violin, put it in the hands of a good violinist, and the music that comes out is warm and brilliant.

Not that I'm a good violinists, not yet. But my $30 violin has been played by better violinists and the sound came out awesome!

I do wish I would one day have a better violin. But I would like to be a better violinist first.

December 11, 2007 at 03:34 PM · i agree with putch, coz i started out practicing with a cheap chinese violin for almost 5 years and as the years went by the sound of the violin really improved..but now i'm playing on my new Gliga Violin it's so nice..i like it very much, very rich sound...and i also like my other violin from Prague, but i want to sell it...and buy Electric Violin

December 12, 2007 at 04:28 PM · wow.

my violin is unlabled, about 100 years old, from Hungary.

I've had her for about .... 5 years? and I love her to death. Her name's Gypsy. = )

December 13, 2007 at 12:07 PM · Ah that's lovely Sarah - my teacher would have been very impressed by that sentiment - she says if a musician really, passionately loves their violin it can shine through in the music.

December 13, 2007 at 10:45 AM · Violin by Marilyn Wallin, #81, made in 1996 and patterned after Guadagnini.

Bow is a French copy of a Tubbs, 62 grams

December 13, 2007 at 11:37 AM · I'm pretty sure it's a Volkswagen. I paid a fifth of scotch fer it. Uh, I mean five bucks.

December 13, 2007 at 12:54 PM · How did we get on the subject of cars?!

December 13, 2007 at 12:55 PM · Oh, and thankyou Vaughan. I'm really attached to my violin. = )

December 14, 2007 at 11:09 PM · I'd like to add that my bicycle is more expensive than my car (Cervelo P3 carbon) and about fell out of my chair when my son asked me to buy a nicer violin than his starter Chinese model and said that he wouldn't spend more than 1500.... Then he showed me this thread... thank you all for the insight on your beloved instruments!

December 14, 2007 at 11:34 PM · In Chicago,the rage has been to bike on one of the older models--w/fenders,3 speed and a 'normal' seat.

To bike otherwise would be not 'cool'.

December 15, 2007 at 08:28 AM · Every time I'm traveling in my car with my violin and I think about the combined worth of the contents of my violin case, and conclude that it's worth more than my car, I always run into a mental speed bump when I observe that my car weighs more.

PS I play a Zanetti 2005, bows by Bigot and Larson. Combined value: $20,000. Come over to my house and steal it now. It's easier to lift than my car.

December 15, 2007 at 08:26 AM · Yeah, well--but your such a babe--be encouraged you honary cuss.

December 15, 2007 at 09:39 AM · I'm packin' heat.

December 15, 2007 at 12:09 PM · Great, now everytime I see Emily's posts the tune of "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly" will whistle in my head.

December 15, 2007 at 01:49 PM · I play on two Guarnerius del Gesu "Il Cannone" copies- one made in 2004 and the other in 2007.

The bows that I play with are contemporary also- one is Brazilian and the other is French.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic