Caprices or Capricci?

November 30, 2007 at 04:59 PM · What is the plural of Caprice?

Replies (79)

November 30, 2007 at 05:15 PM · The plural of the English word "Caprice" is "Caprices." The singular Italian is "Capriccio" so I assume the Italian plural is "Capricci." It's mainly a question of whether you want to be all pretentious and speak in Italian or not. :)

(Pretentious &@#%$# that I am, I simply must point out that in Hungarian it is "kapriszok." Not that anyone cares.) ;-)

November 30, 2007 at 05:22 PM · Babel Fish says "Capricci" = "Whims". Cute.

Speaking of things that end in the letter "i", did I miss the Ricci interview?

November 30, 2007 at 05:26 PM · Oh my gosh, I used to waste soooo much time on Babel Fish translating things back and forth through various languages and laughing at the mangled gibberish it produced. (German always gave the funniest results, for some reason.)

November 30, 2007 at 06:32 PM · when in doubt: capriccis!

November 30, 2007 at 07:05 PM · Ciao! Capriccio: singular. Capricci: plural.

Exemples:

Il Cappriccio numero uno di Paganini.

I 24 Capricci di Paganini.

November 30, 2007 at 07:09 PM · I like "Capricci" as the plural, but, I like "Caprice" as the singular. I guess I have to decide on English or Italian. Oh dear!

November 30, 2007 at 07:16 PM · You're so capricious, Laurie....

November 30, 2007 at 08:26 PM · This is really the same question as asking whether the plural of "concerto" is "concertos" or "concerti". In this case the singular is the same in English and Italian, so you just need to decide how authentic (or pretentious) you wish to be :)

December 1, 2007 at 04:32 AM · I'm for naturalized plurals, unless calling them the "capricci" will help me play them better.

Perhaps the Arabic: نَزْوَةٌ، هَوى is a nice compromise.

I also like the Greek: ιδιοτροπία , containing as it does, the word "ιδιοτ", which is how those caprices make me feel.

December 1, 2007 at 04:40 AM · Anytime my students play a piece with the word "caprice" in the title, they think I am saying "capris".

December 1, 2007 at 04:50 AM · Oops... I'm an "ιδιοτ". The words I listed were for the non-musical meaning of the word. And by the way, here's the "complete" entry from Dictionary.com. After all, why impress in just two languages when you can do 30 instead?

From "dictionary.com"

caprice2 [kəˈpriːs] noun

a fanciful and lively piece of music etc

Arabic: لَحْنٌ موسيقيٌّ مُخالِفٌ

Chinese (Simplified): 空想的艺术(尤指音乐)作品

Chinese (Traditional): 隨想曲,幻想曲

Czech: capriccio

Danish: let; livlig; capriccio

Dutch: capriccio

Estonian: kapritšo

Finnish: kapriisi

French: capriccio

German: die Caprice

Greek: καπρίτσιο (μουσ.)

Hungarian: capriccio

Icelandic: gletta, fjörlegt tónverk

Indonesian: gembira

Italian: capriccio

Japanese: 狂想曲

Korean: 광상곡

Latvian: kapričo

Lithuanian: kapričo

Norwegian: capriccio, kaprise

Polish: kaprys

Portuguese (Brazil): capricho

Portuguese (Portugal): capricho

Romanian: ca­priciu

Russian: каприччио

Slovak: capriccio

Slovenian: capriccio

Spanish: capricho

Swedish: cappricio, caprice

Turkish: kapriçiyo, serbest bestelenmiş şen hafif müzik

December 1, 2007 at 05:01 AM · From now on, I only play the Paganini fjörlegt tónverke.

December 1, 2007 at 06:15 AM · LOL, I love you guys!

No, Ricci is coming, very soon, to a website near you... ;)

December 1, 2007 at 07:26 AM · Greetings,

I beliuve it is actually `Cappucino.`

Cheers,

Buri

December 1, 2007 at 07:38 AM · "No, Ricci is coming"

Then the correct word is the one Ricci uses. Trick him into using it before you have to, for example "What is your favorite set of 24 things written by Paganini to play, Ricci?"

December 1, 2007 at 07:50 AM · Does it require rosin?

December 1, 2007 at 07:56 AM · And speaking of Ricci... (and for that matter, capricci...)

December 1, 2007 at 08:55 AM · So, I'm like in sensory overload downloading Ricci comments from Laurie's interview became masterclass, and an awesome trio on PBS comes on and starts playing Mozart....

Ok, I'll sleep some other day.

"The Beaux Art Trio".

December 1, 2007 at 10:35 AM · Just call them "The Set of Twenty-Four", with a William F. Buckley accent. Oops, too late, he's come and gone.

December 1, 2007 at 02:04 PM · Is it "violins" or "violini"? "cellos" or "celli"? "basses" or "bassi"? For aprobation should we rest content with an all-purpose "bravo", or for a male, female, or plural respectively, say "bravo" "brava" or "Buri" - er, I mean "bravi"? We are dealing in imponderabilia!

You say "legayto" and I say "legahto", you say "staccayto" and I say "staccahto"...

"parlayndo" "parlahndo", "vibrayto" "vibrahto"...

Let's call the whole thing off!

December 1, 2007 at 03:39 PM · I like to yell "tutti bravi!" after a particularly good concert--the Oberliner in me now recoils from using gender-specific "bravo" or "brava.' ;-)

December 2, 2007 at 02:16 AM · I have another question. If you study with the Vamoses, do you study with ...the Vami?

December 2, 2007 at 02:34 AM · ?

December 2, 2007 at 02:43 AM · Who spiked the eggnog!

December 2, 2007 at 03:48 AM · Laurie,

Vamos is probably a Spanish name, so you study with one Vamo, or Two Vamos. Of course, in El Salvador, it'd sound the same anyway.

Also, is Buri a twin? Is one of him just "Buro"??

Cheerae from DC

December 2, 2007 at 04:00 AM · If I may use the adjective form, capriccioso, a limerick came to mind:

In the Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso

One must move at speeds molto pericoloso

With its daring flights of fancy,

And its rhythms oh so dancy

To play it well one would be a virtuoso!

December 2, 2007 at 06:47 AM · I thought Vamos was a Hungarian name...

December 2, 2007 at 07:37 AM · Oh dear, what has become of this thread? :)

Raphael's post reminded me of a really funny story I heard from another musician once. Some vocalist sang the "tomayto, tomahto" song for an audition, but she DIDN'T GET IT and had apparently never heard a recording of it! She sang, "You say tomayto, I say tomayto..."

December 2, 2007 at 01:41 PM · I heard that one too! Supposedly she said "I don't see the problem with this relationship!" But I think it's apochryphal. As I recall, the lyrics are spelled out phonetically to make the idea clear.

December 2, 2007 at 11:35 PM · Greetings,

Howard, I belive it isa `Burrito.`

Cheers,

Buri

December 3, 2007 at 01:18 AM · That would be a sweet little baby Buri, wouldn't it?

December 3, 2007 at 01:35 AM · heaven forbid...

December 3, 2007 at 01:38 AM · I like Burini...

So is it etudes or etuden?

December 3, 2007 at 02:50 AM · "Etuden?"

Gezundheit!

December 3, 2007 at 03:11 AM · Laurie,

Or is it Loreeee?

I know the Vami, or is it Vamoses. Their studentenini actuallie du re fer to the m as the Vami — oops, i ve begu n typing lik e Bur eet o ……… so sor reee.

They ar great pedah gogzini of th e violininininiiiii……

December 3, 2007 at 03:20 AM · If I auditioned, it would be the Vamooses.

December 3, 2007 at 03:38 AM · What's so particular about oberlin that you'd be compelled to make such a distinction?

December 3, 2007 at 04:57 AM · Once on a program I was "Lori Nice." Sitting, I do not kid you, next to "Matthew Naughtin."

I think the "Vami" is very endearing :) I wish they'd been at NU when I was there.

When I say "etude" it sounds kind of like "hey dude." One would never say "hey, duden;" it's "hey dudes." So I guess in America we have to say "etudes." To be scholarly about it.

December 3, 2007 at 05:08 AM · Laurie,

I once played in a trio with Amy Wright and Amy Wong... No kidding.

December 3, 2007 at 05:09 AM · Mariska,

You think EVERYTHING is Hungarian, but of course you are so right that I made up the part about "Vamos" being of spanish origin. Shame on me...

Tell me, daboo yaboo spabeak babubable tabalk taboo?

:)

December 3, 2007 at 05:15 AM · but Howard, everything IS Hungarian! You just have to know where to find the connections. ;-)

No, but I used to speak Gobbledygook rather well when I was about twelve...

December 3, 2007 at 05:39 AM · I'm not hungarian...

but I am alway Hungry. Maybe that's why I'm so fat.

December 3, 2007 at 06:05 AM · .....*long sigh*......

Oh, if only anyone besides the Hungarians themselves could pronounce "Magyarország". That would put an end once and for all to all these infernal "hungry Hungarian" puns.

December 3, 2007 at 06:08 AM · I suspect I may be Hungarian.

December 3, 2007 at 07:24 AM · Maybe we can all be honorary Hungarians . . . ;)

December 3, 2007 at 01:49 PM · Hmmm... sounds like a challenge, Mara. I'm going to go learn how to pronounce that word today!

:)

December 3, 2007 at 02:43 PM · >Tell me, daboo yaboo spabeak babubable tabalk taboo?

Hibowibard! Ibi spibeak thibis! Ibexcibept Ibi yibuse iban "ib," iband nibot iban "ab". And I loved the multi-lingual definition list, too. I was tearing my hair out the other night, wishing I knew the Icelandic translation of caprice. Boy, I sure came to the right spot.

Violinist.com. It's not just for violins.

December 3, 2007 at 06:12 PM · Hey, Maura, lighten up a bit, besides, aren't you from Tulsa? Why get so offended by my stupid joke?

December 3, 2007 at 10:55 PM · Place A1 finger after E4 is down. Then do your shadow practicing.

Cheers,

December 3, 2007 at 08:12 PM · Pieter,

I'd think that canadians would be pretty understanding of our "weird" interest in our heritage. I was under the impression that canadians were even more like that than we are and liked to describe Canada as a "tossed salad" as opposed to a "melting pot", as we say here.

Keep in mind that three generations of separation is really not that much. Some of our ethnic enclaves have been around for longer than that and have a life of their own now (for example, all the various "China Towns" in the big citites). In my case, it's been six generations since my family came here from Holland, and yet there is still a large and recognizable enclave of dutch folks in the midwest where my father's family settled.

Hey speaking of which, given your distaste for heritage, I had to laugh over the "heritage" spelling of your name! Seriously,man, get with it. Around here, it's "Peter"!

Howard van der Sluis

December 3, 2007 at 10:52 PM · Greetings,

Cheers,

December 3, 2007 at 09:52 PM · Laurie,

'Vamos' is not a Spanish name. In Spain, it means 'Come on!'. Perhaps in other languages (I´m thinking about Hungarian language), it means a name.

Greetings,

Manuel.

December 3, 2007 at 10:30 PM · Pieter, I live in Oberlin, Ohio. "Maura" is indeed an Irish name (hence the *spelling change several months ago* to the Hungarian variant. I can do whatever the hell I like with the spelling of my name and it's not exactly your place to mock me for it.) I have quite a lot of Irish ancestry, as well as some English. And I am also of Hungarian descent.

And furthermore, just what business is it of yours anyway? Seriously...

(PS Marty, YOU lighten up...I wasn't offended, I was giving you a hard time.)

Oh, and Pieter, as for your last comment about how "obnoxious" it is to be living in one country but feel that another is your home ("begging the question: why aren't you there?") Since when did people choose where to be born, for crying out loud? And don't you think I would move there if I could?

December 3, 2007 at 10:05 PM · Wow, why so quick to disown Tulsa, Maura? How many years did you live there, just a couple? I lived in Oklahoma for 23 years and don't know if I'm more Cherokee or French or German or Irish, so when it comes to heritage, I have nothing else to claim but Okie, which is fine by me.

Going home for Christmas? I am.

December 3, 2007 at 10:26 PM · Yeah. Everybody pile on me all at once. I am indeed going back to Tulsa for Christmas.

You know what, I don't have to sit around here and listen to the likes of Pieter tell me how obnoxious and stupid and fake I am for identifying with one part of my heritage over another (or daring to identify with any heritage at all.) Maybe I'll just join Emil in the ranks of "Former v.commers sick of being insulted."

December 3, 2007 at 10:35 PM · lol. Chill out and remember what comes around is just what goes around. Personally, I'd miss your cute Hungarian accent :)

December 3, 2007 at 10:51 PM · viva vibrato

December 3, 2007 at 10:50 PM · Áll a viharban maga a magyar.

Ha nem születtem volna is magyarnak,

E néphez állanék ezennel én,

Mert elhagyott, mert a legelhagyottabb

Minden népek közt a föld kerekén.

December 3, 2007 at 10:51 PM · She's not pretending anything, she just thinks Hungary is way cool. And it is!

December 3, 2007 at 10:52 PM · I'm not "pretending" to have Hungarian ancestry, either...

December 3, 2007 at 10:58 PM · Hmm. Nice editing. Now this whole exchange makes even less sense...not that that's a bad thing.

December 4, 2007 at 12:40 AM · Well, that is what you wanted, right?

December 4, 2007 at 01:15 AM · Manuel,

It was a joke. BROMA. UNA BROMA. A joke.

h

December 4, 2007 at 04:00 AM · Aaah, the exuberance of youth!

Must be an Oklahoma thing because when I was in grad school I knew this girl who spoke with an English accent, even though she was from Norman. I think she did it for attention...teens nowadays!

December 4, 2007 at 04:31 AM · Must be in the water.

December 4, 2007 at 04:38 AM · My cousin took on an English accent during the early days of the Beatles. My earliest musical memories are her taking me to garage band rehearsals while she was supposed to be babysitting me. She might have been a groupie.

December 4, 2007 at 05:00 AM · Greetings,

why would she have an English accent? The Beatles were from Liverpool...

Cheers,

Buri

December 4, 2007 at 05:30 AM · When I was a kid I lived in a little town in a valley surrounded by mountains, a hundred miles away from any TV station. There was this genius who lived there, who built a mansion up by the railroad tracks. He put an antenna tower on a mountain and in that town developed one of the first TV cable systems. When I tell electronics people where I'm from sometimes even still they ask if I knew him. I know of him and saw him, but too I'm too young to have known him.

December 4, 2007 at 05:33 AM · Liverpool, Texas? Could be different "Be-uls"

December 4, 2007 at 05:39 AM · Ah but "Pieter", you never answered my question! Are you really a gen-u-ine foreigner, or are you just one of those second or third generation poseurs that you decried? Why don't you quit spelling your name wrong?

December 4, 2007 at 06:32 AM · am I allowed to spell his name wrong?

or should that be right?

Cheers,

Buri

December 4, 2007 at 06:26 AM · Pieter, I'm glad you took down your slams on Mara, but it would have been better if you hadn't done it in the first place. We do state in our guidelines to "Please respect others on the site, and conduct yourself as if you were speaking in public. Which you are."

Your colleagues are reading, and it reflects more on YOU when you spew bitterness all over someone else.

December 4, 2007 at 07:19 AM · Howard, as I wrote before, I am an immigrant. I was born in Cape Town. If you'll take out your world map, you'll find that it is not in North America. I might have deleted my comments before you read this.

December 4, 2007 at 01:45 PM · Yeah, Pieter, I know where Cape Town is. You may not know this, but South Africa was kind of a big deal here in the states back when your friends still held exclusive power there. The story of political reform in your country is an amazing story of redemption, don't you think?

So here's an interesting question- Since you are an immigrant, and assuming you're planning on staying, will you teach your children about South Africa? Will they learn Afrikaans? Will you use Afrikaner or English spellings of any names you give your kids?

Hey, by the way, what IS the plural of "caprice" in Afrikaans?

Cheers from Washington, DC, which, by the way, is that little square just above and slightly to the right of Virginia on the US map...

December 4, 2007 at 04:57 PM · Sure, along with dozens of other countries I've been to; no; and no. As for the plural of the word, probably just caprices. It works in french (un caprice, deux caprices) etc... Afrikaans, like other languages, tend to appropriate "english" words in conversation, so that's why, I'd probably say caprices.

December 4, 2007 at 05:19 PM · Pieter,

Actually, snotty remarks aside for the moment, I think that's interesting. You probably didn't HAVE to emmigrate from South Africa, but I think that many if not most of the families that have come here over the years have really felt like they didn't have a choice- they had to leave their country for some very pressing reason. The fact that a family comes here because war or famine or economic collapse have forced them to that decision is probalby the reason that those same families have felt such a need to preserve and transmit their culture here in the States, and probably in Canada too.

Hey just for the record, my wife and I are raising our child bilingually in Spanish and English. Neither one of us is hispanic, but my wife, much like Mara does for Hungarian culture, has a great love of hispanic culture and has lived for long periods of time in several Spanish speaking countries. She picked the first name of our daughter (Fiona) because it's an Enlish name, but easily pronounced in Spanish.

December 4, 2007 at 06:14 PM · Howard,

The political situation in south africa makes it such that I, as a little white boy, no matter how charitable and good my parents were, has almost no chance in hell of any type of career or livelihood in that country. I applaud my dad for getting us out of there. At best, it's now a vacation spot and in reality, an appalling human crisis.

As for your kids, it makes quite a bit of sense to grow up speaking Spanish and English. You are in the united states afterall. Within their lifetimes, Spanish will probably challenge English as the most spoken language in the USA. At this at this stage it would be ignorance bordering on lunacy to not get going on that. It's sort of the same reason my parents sent me to a 100% French school (though French in Canada has stagnated). I won't go into the reasons why I don't find your situation, and the aforementioned situation (which by the way I have gotten quite an impressive influx of people agreeing with me) even remotely comparable.

If you really want your kids to be fluent, you'll definately have to have them in an almost full time Spanish situation. Having had to learn English, and then French, I can tell you that regardless of age, to speak without too much of an accent (which can make learning a language almost pointless, since native speakers cannot or won't bother trying to understand an American accent) and to be truly comfortable, it will require a large time commitment in the given language. The nice thing about Spanish is that it will give you a gateway to Italian and French. I was just in D.C. a week ago accompanying a friend to a job interview with the Senate. Lovely city, and I doubt there's any shortage of opportunities for your kids to practice and learn Spanish.

December 4, 2007 at 06:12 PM · well, caprice, or capriccio in italian would be pluralized finishing in an 'i' so capricci should be fine. The literal term means an impulse or 'on a whim' In Boca Lupo!

December 4, 2007 at 06:21 PM · Thanks, Pieter. You're absolutely right about the need for Spanish here. Actually, my wife started and ran a Spanish bilingual special ed program and, as a result, we have quite a bit of access to that community and opportunities to speak and hear Spanish. Also, fortunatly for Fiona and me, my wife's Spanish is excellent. Fiona will go to some sort of "immersion" school when she's old enough, but in the meantime, we spend as much time as possible with our various Spanish speaking friends to give her lots of exposure to good (native) Spanish.

As is unfortunatly typical here in the States, I didn't get formal training in a foreign language until eighth grade, which is really way too late. I did however, have ten plus years of French and even have a minor in it! But, of course, with way too little time spent speaking. I can write (or could write at any rate) treatises on Verlaine, but might have trouble talking about stuff around the house. So, I really wanted Fiona to have the experience of speaking two languages from an early age.

The point of this is that our situation is rather more like "the other situation" than you think- If my wife hadn't had a slightly weird obsession with Spanish and hispanic culture back when it wasn't cool, we wouldn't have the infrastructure to create a viable bilingual experience for Fiona at home. As it is, my family still gives me a hard time about it, asking me which one of us grew up in a Spanish speaking country or if Fiona will have to have ESL services when she goes to school!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic