thick rosin buildup!!

November 29, 2007 at 04:26 PM ·

Replies (21)

November 29, 2007 at 04:27 PM · BEats me. I have never used metal strings. HOwever, you might want to use a wine cork to clean off the strings so you do not damage them.

November 29, 2007 at 05:39 PM · You may just be applying too much rosin. Also, if your bowhair is old, it could be shedding rosin faster than newer hair would. You could also try a smoother,lighter rosin. If you feel like you need to aggressively dig into the string with your bow to et volume/tone, thus scraping the rosin into the string, maybe you can get your vln. adjusted, so it allows freer tone production. Sue

November 29, 2007 at 06:31 PM · I don't know, seems normal, especially if you have a cheaper grade rosin. Try switching brands.

November 29, 2007 at 07:23 PM · The above, plus--I use 000 gauge (triple-zero) steel wool to clean the sticky rosin off my strings. Doesn't hurt the strings, gets them completely clean, and is much better than your fingernail.

November 29, 2007 at 09:22 PM · Alcohol, a little bit on a rag or those pre injection alcohol swabs work like a charm. No, it doesn't drip on the wood.

November 29, 2007 at 09:50 PM · Always wipe your strings down the whole length with a lint-free cloth after playing. In fact, it's a good idea to wipe down your whole violin to clean off the oils from your hands, rosin in front of the bridge and under the fingerboard, etc... Rubbing alcohol does work very well to clean off rosin buildup...it's best to find 99% isopropyl because the 70% that is most commonly available has mineral oil in it, which can wear your strings out faster. 99% is available at most good pharmacies but not usu. at the grocery store. If you're using rubbing alcohol on a cloth, clean the strings with the violin held upside down to prevent dripping - it probably won't drip but it's best to be safe about that.

November 29, 2007 at 09:59 PM · Like Ray mentioned above, I keep a handful of injection site prep swabs in my case. They're easy, and they work. A box of a hundred only cost about $3 from CVS.

November 29, 2007 at 10:11 PM · Use a cotton cloth on strings,fingerboard and top-everyday.Remove left-over rosin upon strings with slight pressure from fingernails and go over with cotton cloth once again.

The wine corks work well also.

November 30, 2007 at 02:21 AM · If you get your bow rehaired properly and you use a decent rosin, that shouldn't be a problem. I only rosin my bow every three or four days and it works just fine. Also, the way in which you apply the rosin to the hair may have something to do with this.

November 30, 2007 at 04:19 AM · Both my granddaughters got Tartini rosin for Christmas last year, and they seem to require much less than previously. Also rosin dandruff on violin and cello bellies has diminished to near invisible.

December 2, 2007 at 06:13 AM ·

December 2, 2007 at 02:53 PM · Also, when you apply rosin, go slowly and steadily, and press just hard enough that you hear a little shishing sound. When people rosin fast and hard over a few inches of hair at a time, they are likely to be creating a rosin crust from the heat of friction. Been there, done that to a NEW $$$ bow. Duh. The solution was to play it off, cleaning the strings with a clean, soft cloth a lot. Booooorrrrring. Sue

December 4, 2007 at 04:48 AM ·

March 15, 2015 at 01:36 PM · It seems that the lighter the rosin the less build-up on the strings. I use a light rosin (Kaplan Art) and I get pretty light build-up but I do have to dig-in pretty well with the bow to get a good sound from the strings. Also get a 1 1/2 in. Wide fine-bristle paint brush and brush lightly across the bow hair. This loosens up what Sue calls the crust and gets rid of excess rosin.

March 15, 2015 at 02:20 PM · Scrubbies ( http://www.amazon.com/HANDMADE-SCRUBBIES-Scrubbers-Perfect-Friends/dp/B008EET0FK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1426428219&sr=8-5&keywords=scrubbie ) are perfect for removing rosin from strings.

A dry, clean toothbrush is very effective for removing rosin from bow hair and for separating the hairs that my have stuck together with melted rosin.

Alcohol, especially on pre-packaged alcohol swabs (from the drug store) is very effective for removing most rosin from strings or from bow hair. But it is also important to wipe the alcohol from the surface immediately so it does not have time to evaporate and leave the dissolved rosin residue - which is really what you are trying to get rid of.

I found Liebenzeller rosins quite good in terms of maintaining good sound for a decent period of time. But when Tartini and then its successor, Andrea, appeared, I preferred them - and they maintained good sound for longer time. All produced relatively little rosin-dust residue. I now prefer the kind of sound I can get with Magic Rosin or Bakers - but both leave a lot of dust, and Magic offers 3 grades with different gripping "power." Much of this was discussed here over 3 years ago: http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=20478 .

Andy

March 16, 2015 at 02:40 PM · 5 hours is a long time in rosin hours altho I've read claims of

"I never rosin." Does your rosin last 5 hours?

Rosin consumption has so many variables I can't imagine being immune simply because of the choice of rosin.

My strings stay clean for about 20-30 minutes after alcohol rinse but that's it. (regardless of rosin brand) I'm usually playing with "dirty" strings or I would miss the growl.

When I make a sticky choice like MAGIC rosin, I just use less (swipes).

You might like Hill Light?

After many years of rosin wars I realized that my first rosin was as good or bad as any other. It is called "student block" .

March 16, 2015 at 02:52 PM · Of course, things may have changed for the OP since he posted his question way back in 2007 ...

March 16, 2015 at 02:54 PM · I would hope so!

March 19, 2015 at 04:11 AM · Many cellists (myself included) use a metal dish scrubber thingy, whatever it's called.

But then again, we are the badasses of the string world. We tune our instruments with chainsaws and use knives to pluck, so...

March 19, 2015 at 02:56 PM · "Rubbing alcohol does work very well to clean off rosin buildup...it's best to find 99% isopropyl because the 70% that is most commonly available has mineral oil in it, which can wear your strings out faster."

The other 30% is not mineral oil, but water.

March 19, 2015 at 10:59 PM · I know this is some 8 years after the OP's post, so doubtless no longer applies to him, but 5+ hours a day practice at the violin is a bit over the the top and is counter-productive. The body and brain need regular rest to recover and benefit from practice, and some of the greatest pedagogues and players have said that 3 hours per day of the right sort of practice is as much as anyone ever needs.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic