Favorite Recording of Poeme

November 28, 2007 at 05:47 AM · So I'm about to begin working on the Poeme. What are your favorite recordings? I have never been able to find a recording of it I really like...

Replies (23)

November 28, 2007 at 06:07 AM · There's one on a compilation, the name of which I forget, of Gidon Kremer that's just stunning. I've wanted one of Ida Haendel...I think there's also a Ginette Neveu recording that is very visceral, almost "masculine", but equally convincing.

Good luck!

November 28, 2007 at 06:37 AM · Nicola Benedetti!

November 28, 2007 at 06:37 AM · There is a magnificent Oistrakh recording which I think dates to the late 40's.

November 28, 2007 at 01:31 PM · Zino Francescatti, the old Ormandy recording. The whole performance has something special about it, but in particular the double-stop passage in the middle of the piece is positively heartbreaking.

November 28, 2007 at 01:30 PM · Christian Ferras, with National Orchestra of Belgium, conducted by G.Sebastian, in 1953. It´s a true drama!

November 28, 2007 at 01:46 PM · Georges Enescu's recording is particularly interesting. A rather different approach than we normally hear; highly perfumed, exquisitely colored. Really extraordinary playing. Of-course, it goes without saying that technically, the playing is astonishing...

November 28, 2007 at 10:53 PM · Greetings,

that is one recording i woudl love to hear.

Cheers,

Buri

November 29, 2007 at 01:20 AM · No one please kill me for this......but Joshua Bell's is wonderful. There, it's said, done. I know a lot of you hate him, but this is a 14 year old's humble opinion.

November 29, 2007 at 06:56 AM · Toscha Seidel with Stokowski conducting. Ravishing.

November 29, 2007 at 11:37 AM · Buri,

If it's the Enesco recording you're longing for, it shouldn't be too hard to find. It's on a Biddulph CD with all his recordings from the 1920s - too few, alas! But quality trups quantity, and it has magical performances of La Folia, Handel D major Sonata, and especially Pugnani's Largo espressivo. To my mind maybe the most spellbinding 2'-3' of violin playing. This may also have been released on the Japanese label Opus Kura. Let me know if you have no luck (or share your impressions if you do)

Joe, you're setting on one of the most special violin journeys! Actually I'd say there are a number of outstanding available recordings to be cherished even if they don't reflect one's own vision. There's especially a line running from Enesco to his disciples Neveu, Menuhin and Ferras. All fantastic and very different. I'd back Manuel: the Ferras recording is to me probably the richest in atmosphere and drama. The most moving performance I've heard is by Wicks, nearly unbearably poignant; it's not commercially available, I hope it will be some day.

Alan, I share your fondness for Toscha Seidel, but I find that recording showed him in sad decline. Maybe I should go refresh my memory, I'd be happy to be wrong.

Best, N.

November 29, 2007 at 02:04 PM · Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg takes the cake for me (so far)... I know, she's another anti-fave of this forum but I just love her version of Chausson's Poeme. and her Sibelius is still my favorite too!

November 29, 2007 at 05:20 PM · I have to agree with Aaron. The Enescu is, by far, my favorite. It was kind of earth shattering when I first heard it...

November 30, 2007 at 02:58 AM · surprising that no one's said Heifetz yet... But that's a good thing.

I really love the Francescatti recording with Bernstein maybe? There are some moments in that recording that no other violinist and orchestra have ever captured (like the climaxes)

November 30, 2007 at 03:42 AM · Now that you mention it, that Heifetz recording is a great one too.

November 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM · DFO with Kondrashin is my favorite.

November 30, 2007 at 10:47 PM · I like James Ehnes' version on his French Showpieces CD

November 30, 2007 at 11:04 PM · >No one please kill me for this......but Joshua Bell's is wonderful. There, it's said, done. I know a lot of you hate him, but this is a 14 year old's humble opinion.

Good for you, Brian. I respect your humble opinion! I also tend to like Josh's recordings, although I've never heard his Poeme.

I'll cast a second vote for Nadja S-S, mainly because hers is the only recording of Poeme that I own.

November 30, 2007 at 11:01 PM · Here is the links from youtube where Enesco plays Poeme (audio). I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwLDMcA9U4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbwuIrqvQTk

But this is my most favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OE1TmSvpF4&feature=related

And this one...no words!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThHPPOoSAwQ&feature=related

December 1, 2007 at 04:43 AM · Greetings,

as I imagined- it is one of the most heart rending violin sounds ever heard.

Sob,

Buri

December 1, 2007 at 02:51 PM · I'm trying to upload my francescatti recording to youtube... It is in my itunes library, but it is an MPEG 4 audio file, which I can't import into windows movie maker. I converted it to mp3 and WAV using some trial software, but I still can't trial software, but windows movie maker doesn't let me import it! help! It's my favorite recording of the poeme and I want to share it!

December 2, 2007 at 12:04 AM · Did you try SUPER software?

March 10, 2008 at 02:12 AM · The one with Oistrakh and Munch is wonderful. This is piece is so gorgeous and breath-taking. Of course Ginette Neveu too! Two very different violinists that have extremely beautiful interpretions of the piece are Akiko Suwanai, and Sayaka Shoji. The latter was rather young when she recorded it, but it's simply incredibly gorgeous. The climax will truly blow you away. But don't take my word for it. Find that recording (Sayaka Shoji's first)!

March 10, 2008 at 03:52 AM · I just acquired a recording of Fritz Kreisler playing the Poeme. It was recorded live in 1948 when he was 73 years old. It really is very nice.

Its No 12 of Symposiums Great Violinist Series

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic