I need a piece for violin and viola

November 20, 2007 at 03:38 AM · I am a violin performance student in my sophomore year in college. I was born and raised and began my music education in Honduras, Central America. After being away from my family and friends for a year and a half I am going back home for the winter break, and I am trying to put together a recital to play while I am there. I already have enough material to play a full length recital, but I think it would be cool if I could find a nice piece for violin and viola (and piano if necessary) to play with my former teacher, who is a violist. I need a piece that is not too hard since I will have less than a month to learn it. Any suggestions? Oh, and the rest of the recital is going to be Bach's Partita No. 3 in E, Grieg's violin Sonata in G, and the first movement of the Khachaturian violin concerto.

Replies (20)

November 20, 2007 at 04:09 AM · Greetings,

Beethoven-Three Duets, WoO 27, Violin and Viola

Bruni-Three Duos Concertants, Op. 25

Handel-Nine Duets From Concerti Grossi Op. 6

Martinu-Three Madrigals, Op. 313, Violin and Viola

Mozart-12 Duets, K. 487, Violin and Viola

Spohr-Duet In E Minor, Op. 13, Violin and Viola

Milhaud-Sonatina, Op. 226, Violin and Viola

Stamitz-Duet No. 1 In C Major, Op. 10

Fuchs-Twelve Duets, Op. 60, Violin and Viola

Mann-Invocation For Violin and Viola

Locatelli-6 Sonatas, Op. 4, Vol. 1

I strongly recommend the Martinu,

Cheers,

Buri

November 20, 2007 at 05:03 AM · Wow, this is exactly why I love v.com so much, there is so many great musicians here who have so much more experience and knowledge than myself, and who are always willing to help. By the way, I always read your comments, Mr. Brivati, since you seem so knowledgeable, and I am honored that you would respond to my thread.

Thanks a lot.

November 20, 2007 at 01:29 PM · Pleyel also did some nice duos that aren't too hard.

Careful, though - there are also the 3 Duos Concertante (or something like that) that are more advanced, and would take a bit more work to learn.

The easier volume has more, if I'm remembering correctly.

November 20, 2007 at 02:16 PM · The duos by Kalliwoda (published by Peters) are also great fun to play - and what a fine name that man had!!

November 21, 2007 at 03:39 AM · You can also do the Bach Double. The 2nd violin part can be played easily on the viola.

November 21, 2007 at 04:24 AM · Greetings,

so how come its so diifcult on the violin?;)

Cheers,

Buri

November 21, 2007 at 05:48 AM · I have a great duo by Kayser that I thought I had scanned but can't find it...I'll post a link once I find it (or scan it)!

November 21, 2007 at 01:24 PM · Thanks everybody, I am already trying to decide between all the great options that have been mentioned. I'll let you know which one I go with.

November 21, 2007 at 09:22 PM · Halverson-Handel Passacaglia.

November 22, 2007 at 02:57 AM · i was waiting for someone to say Handel Halvorsen....you GOTTA admit that is a great piece to end with! Good going M. E.!!!

November 22, 2007 at 04:58 AM · I would recommend the Stamitz duet No.1

November 22, 2007 at 04:58 AM · I would recommend the Stamitz duet No.1

November 22, 2007 at 04:58 AM · Actually, the Passacaglia was the first piece that came to my mind, but seems really hard! I've never played it, so maybe I'm just being a chicken. I don't know :S

November 22, 2007 at 07:27 AM · i would recommend Czardas by Monti...it's good for violin, viola and Piano

November 23, 2007 at 04:48 PM · The violin part for the Passacaglia is completely managable. I'm playing the version transposed for cello, and the cello part is far more difficult than the violin. I'm not sure what it would be like for viola, but generally things are much more difficult for cello.

The piece is so much fun, you should at least read it.

I have a PDF of the violin part and the score for violin and cello if you would like me to email so check you can check it out.

November 26, 2007 at 10:50 PM · There's an arrangement of Czardas for violin and viola?

November 26, 2007 at 11:29 PM · double the cliche?

November 28, 2007 at 06:12 PM · Hello, if you send me a quick email I can send the Grand Duo by H.E. Kayser.

December 1, 2007 at 02:08 AM · I second the Martinu! VERY cool piece. I used to have a copy of it and will look to see if it survived my many moves. If it did, I'll bring you a copy to symphony.

December 1, 2007 at 02:27 AM · If you are looking at the Handel, I say go for it. The violin part is not bad, and it is not that much harder on the viola (just depends on the violist). M. E. is right, the cello part is a nightmare. IF you need the parts, contact me

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic