Your Stringed Instrument Pet Peeves

November 15, 2007 at 03:30 AM · What are your pet peeves? Mine are, no. 1-Conceited people who think they are better than everyone else.

no. 2- People in a group who do not listen or who cannot play softly. no. 3- people who take every chance to play and open "E".

Sorry about the bad writing, I'm in a rush to go to school cuz we're having orchestra rehearsal on Beethoven No. 7 symphony. Please post!

Replies (48)

November 15, 2007 at 03:38 AM · People who think they are the best player and really stink

November 15, 2007 at 03:42 AM · yeah, i hate those who think they are absolutely awesome but suck really bad. I guess it's alright to gloat or show off a little, but most people are way too excessive and put others down. I hate those kind of people.

November 15, 2007 at 03:43 AM · Greetings,

prune disparagers,

Cheers,

Buri

November 15, 2007 at 05:46 AM · Bossy people who aren't my boss.

November 15, 2007 at 10:40 AM · all student related:

1. constantly plucking the string whenever we've stopped playing.

2. suddenly needing more rosin when we are about to rehearse a hard spot.

3. leaning the left wrist against the neck of the violin because of nails that are too long (nails that have just been done, knowing that you cannot play the instrument properly.

November 15, 2007 at 11:49 AM · People who talk and play when the conductor is explaining something. Miscreants!

November 15, 2007 at 01:13 PM · 1)Students I must give the same instruction over,over,over,over... not because they don't get it, but because they are too lazy or willful to care about being correct.

2)E strings. All of them. I never feel like my E is in tune, will get in tune, plays with acceptable tone.

November 15, 2007 at 03:47 PM · I discovered the same people infest the world of opera. Just remember empty vessels make the most noise. Just quietly wait for your opportunity, then blow them out of the water when it's your turn.

November 15, 2007 at 04:02 PM · the dicotomy of glorifying the beauty of classical music and denigrating others' contribution to the same cause.

November 15, 2007 at 06:02 PM · Orchestra music that's 1 inch too big for my case.

November 15, 2007 at 06:38 PM · My Pet Peeve:

I will never play the violin as well as the violin playing of my imagination.

(But I haven't given up yet either).

November 15, 2007 at 07:49 PM · Tried viola, Sue? ;)

November 15, 2007 at 08:47 PM · You know how rosin usually has that cloth that covers it? I can't stand it when people just stuff the cloth into the rosin case without folding it! Ugh! Nothing annoys me as much.

November 15, 2007 at 09:29 PM · 1. That I keep wearing a-strings out.

2. That I'll never play Paganini like Emil.

3. That development because I've focused on so many details feels so slow sometimes.

November 15, 2007 at 09:38 PM · The stand won't go high enough!

November 16, 2007 at 12:00 AM · Specifically to the instrument:

Strings that go false too quickly.

Pegs that are too sticky or too loose.

November 16, 2007 at 01:47 AM · i absolutely hate the idea that all the practice we do could be for absolutely nothing...

and also how playing through a concerto "feels" like practice

November 16, 2007 at 02:05 AM · Emily,

That's never a problem when one's short-- like me. :)

November 16, 2007 at 03:44 AM · Don't get me started.

Too late.

Orchestra musicians who:

1. play their concertos while warming up for orchestra. Especially Tchaikovsky.

2. keep playing after the conductor has stopped.

3. play the last note of a previous phrase at the point the conductor wants to start rehearsing.

4. make the same mistakes in the music every time like clockwork (even if it's easy).

November 16, 2007 at 05:03 AM · Um... Al, maybe you should learn about the beauty of "classical spelling". The word you're trying to use is "dichotomy".

November 16, 2007 at 05:33 AM · 1. Unconscious, brash, loud tuning in orchestra. It's like people aren't even listening before we even begin to play together.

2. Un-listening in general.

3. People who talk definitively, but don't really know, or play well...and in that same train of thought, tell you that whatever you're working on is "easy".

4. Breaking bow hairs. :(

5. When people act like their approach to music is the best / revolutionary and that all other ways are basically wrong.

I guess these could all be listed under close-mindedness.

November 16, 2007 at 06:50 AM · Flat fourth fingers. They make my heart drop down into my toes and squirm a little. If I hear enough of them, it feels like pin pricks.

On a real bad day, flat fourth fingers make me want to murder.

November 16, 2007 at 06:50 AM · Also, wide half steps. They make me think of inbred cousins--stupid and unnatural. They're just plain perverse.

And vibrato that wobbles over top of the pitch makes me think of that look that crazy people get in their eyes. Like they got too much electroshock.

November 16, 2007 at 07:56 AM · "3. People who talk definitively, but don't really know, or play well"

So then, how do you tolerate coming to this site?

November 16, 2007 at 01:24 PM · ---Um... Al, maybe you should learn about the beauty of "classical spelling". The word you're trying to use is "dichotomy".

appreciate your high expectation, howard:) i stand corrected despite the urge to defend myself with the correlation of music and language,,,

November 16, 2007 at 01:54 PM · FINGER TAPES.

November 16, 2007 at 02:19 PM ·

November 16, 2007 at 02:59 PM · Hahaha Pieter, I thought about that after I posted it. I guess to an extent I should refine that-- when the people talking act as if they have nothing to learn... You are right though.

November 16, 2007 at 04:50 PM · When a person's only comment on a performance is "well, its not as good as so and so's"

November 16, 2007 at 04:53 PM · Maeve,

thanks for pointing out tuning dweebs. I'd add people who tune while another section is tuning. What about people who are furiously practicing their part during tuning?

And the breaking hairs thing. It really gets me when my standpartner is breaking hairs. On the slow movement of a concerto no less!

What about finger-smackers? They are annoying as they practice their part, supposedly silently. But that smacking! Knock it off!

November 16, 2007 at 05:14 PM · Orchestra players who tune incessantly perhaps just to hear how good their open strings sound, and tune louder when the conductor is saying something.

November 16, 2007 at 05:27 PM · people who tune FORTISSIMO so I can't even hear my freaking self...!

November 17, 2007 at 03:14 AM · oops....a lot of these things described me. (Sob)

November 17, 2007 at 03:37 AM · yes,sticky pegs are a cross to bear.

November 17, 2007 at 06:15 AM · orchestra folders that dont fit in my case!!! such a pain!

November 17, 2007 at 07:06 AM · Stand partners that lead the way during rehearsal and then chicken out on entrances during the concert...having slid the music to a spot optimum for their viewing.

(As an individual peeve, a stand partner that gets so worked up at gigs that their personal freshness becomes intolerable...yucc)

November 17, 2007 at 04:22 PM · People texting on their cell phone durring rehearsals, and when a conductor is speaking then play contra to what was just instructed to do/not do!!!!

November 19, 2007 at 09:25 AM · I'm in the peg group. It's the thing that I find the most troublesome and inconvenient about string playing. Especially love the peg-slips-2-seconds-before downbeat one. ^o^

Oh, and sore neck/shoulders.

November 21, 2007 at 01:22 PM · Hi,

in no particular order (and not all absolutely string-related):

• Persistent late comers; you may not in fairness expect a pearlmanesque performance from amateur musicians, but everybody should be able to be on time most of the time
  • People who don't seem to own a pencil and always have to borrow one from me
  • People who always leave their mute in the case
  • People who start yacking with their stand partner as soon as they stop playing and don't stop until they resume playing

Enough of that, J├╝rgen

November 22, 2007 at 12:49 AM · Carting a case that makes me ten times more clutzy than I already am.

Pages that fly off the stand when the air conditioning comes on.

Versions of the Gavotte and Rondeau from e maj. partita featuring the major seventh double stop (B-A) at ten times the volume of the rest of the piece.

November 22, 2007 at 02:30 AM · Conductors that say "no portamento"

November 22, 2007 at 02:40 AM · don't even go there with the conductor pet peeves...:)

November 22, 2007 at 04:52 AM · UGH!!! when I was in middle school orchestra(where orchestra classes arent sperated by technique) people would play after Mrs. Squire(teacher and conductor) cut us off and people that consistantly pluck the strings afterward!!!

November 22, 2007 at 04:52 AM · UGH!!! when I was in middle school orchestra(where orchestra classes arent sperated by technique) people would play after Mrs. Squire(teacher and conductor) cut us off and people that consistantly pluck the strings afterward!!!

November 22, 2007 at 08:30 AM · People who simply CANNOT play without vibrato, even when the music and/or conductor doesn't call for it. They must, must, must, must shake....

November 23, 2007 at 06:57 AM · ooh people who play bach out of tune...and people who put an accent on other beats (primarily) other than beat 1 (AAAHHHH)

and as for a higher stand...(I"m 6'1") try a Manhasset extra tall, it's like 69$ amd will be wonderful :)

November 24, 2007 at 06:59 PM · I hate it when people play really loud during a rest... There's these two guys in my orchestra who play the bach dbl concerto REALLy badly after the end of every Single rehearseal.

November 25, 2007 at 12:22 PM · Pros who get all cliquey and offhand towards other musicians just because They have made it ignoring all the talented 'amateurs' often with the same training who happen to have chosen a different career path.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic